Skip to main content
Topic: Issues with single key shortcuts (Read 3358 times)

Issues with single key shortcuts

In the weekly build #71 Ctrl+Left and Ctrl+Right shortcuts won't work in text areas. That's due to new feature, single-key shortcuts. I disabled it via about:config, but then F5 won't work. Any suggestions?

Re: Issues with single key shortcuts

Reply #1
@Freeman, these two shouldn't be affected by that option, weird.
You can try to disable only selected shortcuts using editor, there are not too many of such shortcuts:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/blob/master/resources/keyboard/default.ini
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #2

@Freeman, these two shouldn't be affected by that option, weird.

Nevertheless, this build is quit unusable due to bugs with shortcuts. Full-screen mode is also unavaliable on F11, some strange next/previous page jumps while trying to type in chat (or whatever else on a page, when chat caret disappears).

Posting this message from the actual Otter version I'm using now.

Reply #3
Just updated to build #72, the behavior remains unchanged, under Windows XP:

• When EnableSingleKeyShortcuts = true, Ctrl+Left/Ctrl+Right shortcuts work as go to previous/next page when I'm trying use them in a text area.

• When EnableSingleKeyShortcuts = false, Ctrl+Left/Ctrl+Right work as moving text caret by words, but F4/F5/F11 won't work.

Reply #4
@Freeman, uhm, I guess that our algorithm should get exceptions for these keys, currently it simply ignores all single key shortcuts.
Is that chat Flash or Java based? There is a ticket for them:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/issues/802
I'll try to add workaround for that case in this weekly.

Moved from:
https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?topic=357.0

Reply #5
In the build #73, F5 and F11 keys work, but Ctrl+Left/Right won't. SingleKeyShortcuts = false. Having this issue in any chat/textarea, including Twitter and this forum.

Reply #6
@Freeman, for now I can only suggest to remove these two shortcuts in Preferences.
I can try to improve our workaround to ignore global shortcuts when editing text after beta, it's too fragile to do that now...

Reply #8
I have one issue with the Z / X keys. On the latest version installable on CentOS 7 (I don't have that system right now) there are two key combinations that are understood as "z" and therefore "Back" function:
- Z
- AltGr + Z

The Alt+Z, Shift+Z, Ctrl+Z are ok - they have their own functions.

The problem is that AltGr+Z is ż on Polish keyboard, so responding with Back on that key combination makes it unable to use with webpages that use text edition.

Reply #9
@ethouris. which version was that? This issue should be gone long time ago.

Reply #10
My single key shortcuts work.  However, I do notice a noticeably slower transition between pages than with Opera.  Same box, same connection, same time, but slower with Otter.

I don't consider it a significant problem.  Just feedback.

Reply #11
@rhubarbpieguy, we can't do much about that, WebKit1 is simply slower than more modern rendering engines and version used by QtWebKit is quite old (AFAIK the last bigger sync was done two years ago).
Lets hope that QtWebEngine 5.6 will be more usable or we will get Gecko backend before end of this year.