Skip to main content
Topic: XP after XP (Read 48560 times)

Re: XP after XP

Reply #126
ׂ

Reply #127
Yesterday night I spent at an acquaintance trying to figure out why she can't get connected to the internet. The cables were connected. The corner icon showed internet available no problem, but browsers and ping didn't work. In the end it turned out I had to delete a DNS address in the internet options and it was solved. But this took six hours for me, this is how incompetent I am. Anyway, the time was mostly well spent having tea and snacks and backing up her files, as the computer is meant to be replaced anyway.

It's a box bought at the worst kind of time. There's a weird number, like 3/4 GB RAM. There's XP on it and it's screaming now that Microsoft Essentials is not working anymore and the OS needs to be updated. That's painfully confusing for the lady. Anyway, when she gets the new computer, I will lay claim on the old one and see what would run well on it.

Reply #131
ׂ

Reply #134
Sounds exactly like the kind of machine on which I would replace the system.

Reply #135
 Thank you.  I'll be considering that.
Till then I'll try to locate the culprit. It can either be the MSE itself or...

Reply #136
ׂ

Reply #138
ׂ

Reply #139
Thank you for the pics.  My nettop is on warranty still though...
By the by, there is no smell yet. It smelled once - when the accumulator broke.

Reply #140
ׂ

Reply #141
1. It feels ok now, though it happened heavily from and immediately after the Hour X (MSE started to exhale red flags, the OS/Microsoft started to steadily notify me "Can't you hear the thunder - you better run, you better take cover!"). Not everything froze -- the active content was acting - but I'd lost the controls: either the cursor wasn't appearing or it did but couldn't interact with any elements -- or at least such an interaction seemed unbearably infinite/long, including "Start" and "shut up" actions. Upon rebooting (I have a pw activated), the pw was usually allowed to fill in, but then 50-50 the system wouldn't start anyway. NB, at that time I tried to (and had been up to the Hour X) watch/download some movies - with Opera (11.63). Maybe it added something. After a reboot, then starting that movie activity, the system froze as described above in about 5-10mins -- even upon already watching a movie in WMP.  It lasted for a bunch of times, then I spit and proceeded to listening to a radiostream -- which went ok, since when I haven't experienced those troubles yet.
2. The fan was already stall/heating a year ago: I'm awaiting the moment to give the comp in for repairs. Since then. Though through the winter and up to now the fan luckily isn't sounding (or overheating); however, I DON'T look forward to the summer, so I'm planning a "plan B" to still give the comp over.
3. What exactly is that "Autorun" you're referring to? Папка "Автозагрузка"?

Reply #142
ׂ

Reply #143
...or too many incompatible or malicious programs autostarting. Testing the memory and hard drive isn't difficult at all, and would eliminate those as the source of the problem.
How?

To temporarily disable a program remove the check mark next to it. To remove it completely...
Where to find that "Sysinternals Autoruns"?
(I guess it might not be the folder I showed you, huh?)

Reply #144
Right now I'm trying to "get away" with that same movie activity.  The "open/download" dialogue hung a bit, though proceeded, and the file is loading now...
+ I've got the file, and it's up and running...

Reply #145

Reply #146
ׂ

Reply #147
j7n, your suggested procedures for fixing Josh's nettop issues are perfectly sensible. However, only a sensible person can carry them out with success. Considering Josh's manners of going about his computers, Linux is the better choice for him. Linux would teach him to keep user tasks and admin tasks separate and rein in some of his recklessness.

Help your friends and family get off Windows XP

Very funny, help them to move over to a far worse version of Windows... Thanks for the suggestion, MS. I am actively helping people move over from XP, and this means move away from Windows altogether.

@kardon
Those two are my favourite XP background images too. And I absolutely love this spiced-up version of the iconic background:

Reply #149
Yes, there are, but what your nettop needs is less apps and plugins, a careful selection of focused programs.