Skip to main content
Topic: XP after XP (Read 48491 times)

Re: XP after XP

Reply #50
So mouse can work without X? Amazing! I didn't know this. Does gpm work with touchpads too? (because we obviously have touchpads on netbooks) Did the DOS mouse enable dragging text around like in a real word processor?

I don't recall, but I think Ctrl + X followed by Ctrl + V tends to be more reliable. I tend to navigate around text primarily with Ctrl + arrow keys, Home, End, and Page Up/Down. You'd think such habits stem from an earlier era, but I actually didn't find out about Ctrl + left/right arrow until about ten years ago. If I want to move quickly to another part of the document I tend to use F5 so I can quickly switch to a different heading. Headings I create with Ctrl + 1-4. LibreOffice is so much more efficient than MS Office at just about everything but track changes.

A touchpad is simply a pointing device. I see no reason it wouldn't work.

Not even the animated tour in XP?

Hm, perhaps my memory is simply playing tricks on me.

Reply #51
Everybody knows that keyboard shortcuts are absolutely fabulous, but I was specifically asking about mouse. Mouse is unbeatable for  furious selection and dragging movements in word processors and file managers.

And here's to refresh your memory http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae0gkaq-BOk

Reply #53

Guys,
Quote from: the topics title
XP after XP

Would you mind?

Hey, I just posted a video about XP. And I just got an idea. I'll try to install XP sounds in Cinnamon. That's gonna be funny.

Reply #54
Mouse is unbeatable for  furious selection and dragging movements in word processors and file managers.

For selection it can be useful, but I truly do usually prefer Ctrl + Shift + arrows or Shift + Home/End. For dragging, or more specifically dropping, I think doing so with text is usually a recipe for disaster. My opinion differs for spreadsheets and file management. Call it a personal idiosyncrasy if you will.

Reply #56

For dragging, or more specifically dropping, I think doing so with text is usually a recipe for disaster. My opinion differs for spreadsheets and file management. Call it a personal idiosyncrasy if you will.
Agreed on spreadsheets. I never found mouse much useful in spreadsheets, except for pointing (i.e. selecting a cell to work on).

In file managers, I often Ctrl+A (to select all) and drag&drop to another window. Similar gestures to move text around in word processors. I never disastered. I am of course clipboard-conscious too, aware of chances of loss. I have a clipboard recorder running, and keep in mind undo.

Btw, did you know it's possible to select and drag text around in text areas in Opera? Probably in all browsers these days, but I discovered it first in Opera.

And here's to refresh your memory http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae0gkaq-BOk

Yeah, there's a reason I hate videos when a text would do just fine.
I like the music :sing:

Reply #57
One thing I can tell you: Windows 3 actually came with a really, really good integrated tutorial for n00bs (i.e. me). I haven't been able to find something that good in any Windows since.

+1

Reply #58
I have a clipboard recorder running, and keep in mind undo.

Well sure, not disaster disaster. I just think it's easier to navigate the cursor precisely where I want it—possibly with the mouse—and then paste, rather than trying to integrate it all in one. In MS Word it just goes scrolling the page way too easily, not to mention somehow way too fast. Perhaps it's better in LibreOffice.

Btw, did you know it's possible to select and drag text around in text areas in Opera? Probably in all browsers these days, but I discovered it first in Opera.

Huh, I think that's new.

Reply #59

Huh, I think that's new.

No, it's old. It's just not the way you are used to do it http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=917631

I like this feature I discovered in Linux over a decade ago: Drag a bunch of files from a file manager to email composer. The result is list of filenames. Worked from Nautilus to Evolution and Opera.

Reply #60
Actually it does show a text cursor for me. But I'm somewhat sure that in the past (pre-2011), it wouldn't drag at all and start a new selection instead.

Edit: hm, I guess it's the cursor that's new. At least in Opera 10.11 it works, but without a clear indicator. Actually I wonder if that clear indicator might be a relatively recent (i.e. post mid to late-'90s) development, which has led me to incorrectly think the whole process is disaster-prone, while it hasn't been in years.

Reply #61
Sorry, I remembered the drag-to-email-body procedure too boldly. It requires proper selection and copy in the file manager, then paste in the email composer, and you will get a list. I must have thought intensely it would be cool if such a function worked merely by dragging, so intensely that I imagined it's already implemented.

For me it always seemed that mouse is importantly for drag&drop, whereas you think it's prone to disaster. Did you dislike Opera's mouse gestures too? I of course liked them a lot! (until they added the utterly unnecessary flashing instructions)

Reply #62
Actually you misunderstood me earlier. I meant I do like to use the mouse in spreadsheets and file management. It's very specifically text editing where I don't like it.

I was wildly enthusiastic about mouse gestures, right up until the point I discovered flip back and flip forward. I started using them less and less, and can't recall the last time I used them.

Reply #63
ׂ

Reply #64
In the earlier DOS era, the shortcut for Paste was Shift-Insert. I can't, from the top of my head, tell the shortcut for Copy, because I never used text editors in that time.

True, I meant cut and paste more than any specific key binding, except that dragging text around is technically also cut and paste (but perhaps less so than right click, cut followed by right click, paste). Ctrl+Shift+C/V is also quite important in several contexts.

Agreed. An illustrated page of text allows me to read the instructions at the speed I am comfortable with. Videos need a good narrator and director, to keep viewers engaged, not bored, and not missing key points while overwhelmed with new information.

Yep, or what if you just don't remember that Alt+Tab was the keyboard shortcut for that neat switching functionality? Try to find that in a 10-minute video.

Reply #65

I was wildly enthusiastic about mouse gestures, right up until the point I discovered flip back and flip forward. I started using them less and less, and can't recall the last time I used them.
Yes, those are fabulous. In addition to these, I still use up-directory and fast-forward gestures on touchpad.

Agreed. An illustrated page of text allows me to read the instructions at the speed I am comfortable with. Videos need a good narrator and director, to keep viewers engaged, not bored, and not missing key points while overwhelmed with new information.

Yep, or what if you just don't remember that Alt+Tab was the keyboard shortcut for that neat switching functionality? Try to find that in a 10-minute video.
Hey, guys! Some people grew up with that video and became decent people. In fact, the caption below the video that I linked to says so.

To me the video is not just about its technically informative content, but also about the background music, the voice of the narrator, the tints and forms - the design, the esthetic experience. Really good computers don't make only geeks happy, but also children and ladies.

Reply #67
ׂ

Reply #68
I had to register here after seeing Vista/7 referred to as Windows 6.x.  I thought I was the only one who did that!  Found my way here via My Opera, where I was a rare poster.

I pretty much agree with what j7n's suggested.  I still don't know why Microsoft makes hiding file extensions the default.  That's always one of the first things I change when installing Windows.

I'm also an XP user, and haven't made any plans to switch at this time, although I may do so.  But even if Microsoft does discontinue support in April (and it wouldn't surprise me if they extend it - they extended 98's support in 2004 when it had similar marketshare to what XP does now), I don't expect to suddenly go online on April 9th and get deluged with malware.  For one, because things don't change that quickly.  I've used Windows without patching it for several months at a time without issue, and without always having anti-virus or a software firewall running, and it hasn't led to anything nefarious.  I also used Firefox 3.6 as a secondary browser (to Opera, of course) until just a few months ago, with no ill effects despite not having any security updates for a few years.  I did get infected with something a few years before 3.6 was discontinued - some sort of pop-up spam item - and the anti-virus was running, and it didn't even detect it.  IIRC, I'd been browsing on shadier sites than usual, and perhaps I accidentally clicked an ad.  But the point being, how you use the computer is much more important than always having a full security software suite and the latest updates.  If you know what kind of stuff is generally shady and prone to viruses/worms/etc., and avoid it, you'll get very few viruses.  If you trust everything on the Internet, click on all sorts of sleazy ads, go to sites that promise things that are too good to be true, and download files from shady sites, you can have all the updates and the best security software in the world and you'll still get overrun.  Windows 6.x changes like ASLR may reduce the damage, but the user's actions are still going to be the biggest factor.

Myself, if Microsoft does discontinue XP support in April, I'll probably keep using it for awhile.  Eventually, I may switch to 7, since there are a slowly-increasing number of programs that require Windows 6.x, and 7 doesn't suck nearly as much as Vista did in 2007 when I last used it instead of XP as a main OS.  Or I may switch to Linux, but if I do that, I'll still have to keep XP around, since I have a lot of Windows software.  But if you aren't prone to getting viruses now, I don't think you need to panic about switching to something else before April.

Reply #69
I had to register here after seeing Vista/7 referred to as Windows 6.x.  I thought I was the only one who did that!  Found my way here via My Opera, where I was a rare poster.

It self-reports as Windows NT 6.1, does it not? :) I hear Windows 8 calls itself Windows NT 6.2, and 8.1 goes with NT 6.3.

Reply #70
ׂ

Reply #71
Odd, you'd think Microsoft would build something like that into their frameworks.

Reply #72

Reply #74