Skip to main content
Topic: Gamers' corner (Read 2556 times)

Gamers' corner

Way back in the days I suggested that there should be a gamer's corner in the Lounge for the game threads, leaving The Lounge for the light-hearted etc. threads that are not games. That was generally considered to be a sensible idea, but not so sensible as to anyone ever acting on it.

In the absence of a new akh or Tamil game threads are unlikely to take over here in the same way as My Opera, but it is still probably a sensible idea. Whether sensible enough to act on I wouldn't say.

Re: Gamers' corner

Reply #1
In the absence of a new akh or Tamil game threads are unlikely to take over here in the same way as My Opera.

I think you could be right there. When I first ventured into the lounge I was quite surprised by how many games were in there and having a separate board for them would have most likely made sense as they had mostly risen to the top and other interesting threads had been relegated to page 2 or more.

On saying that though if a forum was called "Gamers corner" I would probably never have ventured into it in the first place as it wouldn't have been something I would have thought myself interested in. How wrong could I have been.

I don't think myself that a seperate board in the lounge just for games is needed here though, not at the moment anyway. Maybe if we get an influx of new members that will change, but for now I think it serves it purpous.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #2
The software allows for childboards, so rather than a completetely separate board, a Gamer's Corner could be a child of The Lounge. That being said, for now I think it would be counter-productive:

I don't think it's a good idea to subdivide forums too much prematurely. Most of them would just be sitting there empty and barren. The Lounge might be worth an exception in order to attract a slightly different public from My Opera, but generically  speaking my stance is that e.g. a Lounge forum shouldn't be created until a more generic forum is getting an awful lot of Lounge-type threads.

Reply #4
Name is a manner of marketing, it could be Lounge Games or maybe Indoor Games. It's fairly easy to spot when a game subtopic is necessary, when/if the non-game threads disappear among the others.

Reply #5
ׂ