Skip to main content
Topic: Edward Snowden (Read 11204 times)

Edward Snowden

Does anybody want this poor child?

Well, he's wanted in the U.S., but not for altogether happy reasons. He's in Russia on a temporary basis and is seeking asylum elsewhere. Apparently, Putin isn't enamored. Maybe China?

Let's look elsewhere. Brazil perhaps?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jtes/will-anyone-welcome-edward-snowden

All of this stuff is three jumps above my pay grade and I have no idea if he's caused the U.S. any irreparable  harm. What do you think?

Re: Edward Snowden

Reply #1
In .de there's support for granting him political asylum, even among politicians, although they're too afraid of the inevitable freakout from across the atlantic. I guess they'd rather have their phones tapped than to grow a spine for once.

Reply #2
Brazil says "no"?!
This must mean just one thing: Edward Snowden is not a criminal.

Reply #3

This must mean just one thing: Edward Snowden is not a criminal.

It's always a matter of perspective. Only a matter of perspective.

A statesman waging wars, destabilizing entire regions, responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands of inocent lifes can be a worldwide 'respected' person. Same applies for a statesman having the blood of hundreds of innocent people on his hands. Such statesmen can even be hailed as leaders of our free world. At least as long as they represent an oligarchy backed by a mighty military force.

Reply #4
Not, it's quite obvious: if he were a criminal, Brazil would say "yes". This is how it works, here.  >:(

Reply #5
I view Mr. Snowden as a hero.

Reply #6
In .de there's support for granting him political asylum, even among politicians, although they're too afraid of the inevitable freakout from across the atlantic. I guess they'd rather have their phones tapped than to grow a spine for once.

It's not worth all the BS that would follow. Snowden is the story of the day, but that's it. Not even Mr. Putin will put up with this for long. Brazil, perhaps? I doubt it.

North Korea! Perfect. Kim Jong Snowden.

I view Mr. Snowden as a hero.

Maybe, but the last shoe hasn't dropped yet. We don't know the extent of what he possesses and has shared with the redoubtable Russian Czar.

Reply #7
NSA created 'European bazaar' to spy on EU citizens, Snowden tells European Parliament

The NSA has been pressuring EU member states to change their laws to enable mass surveillance, according to Snowden. This is done through NSA's Foreign Affairs Division (FAD), he said, adding that lawyers from the NSA and GCHQ work very hard "to search for loopholes in laws and constitutional protections that they can use to justify indiscriminate, dragnet surveillance operations that were at best unwittingly authorized by lawmakers," he said.

Reply #8
My operatives around the world insist that everybody spies on everybody else, so all of this international turmoil is suitcase of blather.
“I work on assumption that 6+ countries tap my phone,” Tom Fletcher, the U.K. ambassador to Lebanon, said on a Twitter Inc. posting today. “Increasingly rare that diplomats say anything sensitive on calls.”

Denis MacShane, who was the U.K.’s Europe minister in former Prime Minister Tony Blair’s Labour government, said he was warned to expect that his mobile phone calls would be listened to while he was in France.

“In Paris, it was generally assumed that they wanted to know everything we were saying and thinking,” MacShane said in a telephone interview. “I sometimes made a point of saying things on the phone that I wanted my opposite number to hear, U.K. government positions and so on.”

And this from Senator Marco Rubio...
“Whether they want to acknowledge that publicly or not -- and every country has different capabilities -- but at the end of the day if you are a U.S. government official traveling abroad, you are aware that anything you have on your cell phone, on your iPad, can be monitored by foreign intelligence agencies including that of your own allies."

Reply #9
I vote that the UK/a-soon-to-be-Independent-Scotland grants Snowden amnesty and allows him to stay in Glasgow to keep an eye on the reputable Mr. Howie.   :left:

Reply #10
I would be more than happy to meet him here and have lunch. A wonderful man that told his fellow citizens they were being shafted and the government sometimes acting illegally. Imagine that?! If Scotland was daft enough to leave (and I doubt it) then it would be peaceful Just look what happened yo you down in the South.  when you got tired of being treated as you were and wanted out the club. Dear, oh dear.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #11

Just look what happened yo you down in the South.  when you got tired of being treated as you were and wanted out the club...
...so you could enjoy the fruits of your labors...well, somebody's labor.

Reply #12
And what did the South get when forced back into the club? Carpetbaggers of the worst kind.

Reply #13

NSA created 'European bazaar' to spy on EU citizens, Snowden tells European Parliament

The NSA has been pressuring EU member states to change their laws to enable mass surveillance, according to Snowden. This is done through NSA's Foreign Affairs Division (FAD), he said, adding that lawyers from the NSA and GCHQ work very hard "to search for loopholes in laws and constitutional protections that they can use to justify indiscriminate, dragnet surveillance operations that were at best unwittingly authorized by lawmakers," he said.

Vorratsdatenspeicherung, anyone? :right:
I have a nagging suspicion that the BND knew about all this all along and sharing data with the NSA ( and the other way around ) was their way to get around the limits on data collection set by german law.

Reply #14

I have a nagging suspicion that the BND knew about all this all along ...

Of course they did. What do you think they are for? To count sheep?
And it came to Merkel's knowledge by reading our media :)
That was one of her funniest statement.

BTW, didn't she ask Obama to join the five ears?
Thankfully he said NEIN.

Reply #15

I have a nagging suspicion that the BND knew about all this all along ...

Of course they did. What do you think they are for? To count sheep?

Nah, they're for screwing up shipments of agricultural machinery to Israel :right:

And it came to Merkel's knowledge by reading our media :)
That was one of her funniest statement.

Now that's a very, very low bar :right:

BTW, didn't she ask Obama to join the five ears?
Thankfully he said NEIN.

They're already in bed with the NSA, so that's kinda redundant.

Reply #16

And what did the South get when forced back into the club? Carpetbaggers of the worst kind.
It took a while, but eventually it got this.

Had the South won the war, how would it differ today? Some think that the outcome would have yielded as many as five separate countries. How would those countries have responded to Hitler? Japan? Would Japan even have attacked Hawaii?

Reply #17

Had the South won the war, how would it differ today? Some think that the outcome would have yielded as many as five separate countries. How would those countries have responded to Hitler? Japan? Would Japan even have attacked Hawaii?

Some of them would probably have joined the axis.

Reply #18
I seem to recall that a certain someone found such grand American traditions as the Bellamy salute, the oath of allegiance, and segregation hella inspiring.  :no:

Reply #20

I seem to recall that a certain someone found such grand American traditions as the Bellamy salute, the oath of allegiance, and segregation hella inspiring.  :no:

I was there and NEVER did that. Nor did any of my classmates. We did do this one, however.
The Internet can make you post the most outrageous things. Still, the Bellamy salute was used in many places.

Reply #21
This just in from Belgium. Date 13.02.2014
Belgian lawmakers vote on euthanasia for kids
Belgium's second house of parliament is set to decide on legalizing active medically assisted suicide for children. The planned expansion of the euthanasia law for adults has been hotly debated for months.

Reply #22
It does look overly nationalistic. Is it the case that the stars and stripes are in every classroom? If so with respect it does I'm afraid look a bit over the top.

Reply #23

It does look overly nationalistic. Is it the case that the stars and stripes are in every classroom? If so with respect it does I'm afraid look a bit over the top.

It's damned stupid. I found this when I checked online. Our Republican friends initiated it.

"The bills require public schools to display a United States flag in each classroom or other site in which students say the Pledge of Allegiance. Starting next school year, an opportunity to recite the pledge must be provided to students each school day."

"Students could not be forced to say the pledge against their will."

My guess is that the pressure applied by other students would make that difficult.

I don't remember if flags were present in the schools I attended, but I suspect that they weren't.  WWII might have affected that later.

They weren't in classrooms when I taught, nor are they now. A flag is displayed outside each school.

Reply #24

"The bills require public schools to display a United States flag in each classroom or other site in which students say the Pledge of Allegiance. Starting next school year, an opportunity to recite the pledge must be provided to students each school day."

Talk about unfortunate implications. Not even eastern germany had flags in each class room or required nationalistic rituals every day ( heck, where I grew up they barely did it once a year )

"Students could not be forced to say the pledge against their will."

My guess is that the pressure applied by other students would make that difficult.

That's the idea. Pretend it's voluntary while everyone knows it's not. More unfortunate implications.

I don't remember if flags were present in the schools I attended, but I suspect that they weren't.  WWII might have affected that later.

They weren't in classrooms when I taught, nor are they now. A flag is displayed outside each school.

Same at the school my little girl's attending. The one I went to put up the flag on some select holidays and that was it.