When I've drunk too much beer.
[ 1 ] (16.7%)
Hardly ever.
[ 1 ] (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Topic: Headaches (Read 10693 times)

Re: Headaches

Reply #1
There are mental techniques to get rid of headache, basically meditation techniques. For those who don't believe these techniques actually exist, there's nothing more to say about it.

I never had a headache, but I know what they are. I can see them coming and turn them off before they have any effect. I have suffered more from ear-, and eyeache than headache, but basically the same mental techniques work to mitigate them all.

Btw, did you mean to make it a multiple-choice poll?

Reply #2
There are mental techniques to get rid of headache, basically meditation techniques. For those who don't believe these techniques actually exist, there's nothing more to say about it.
I believe, but apart from that, I'm to some extent in about physiology, so...
Btw, did you mean to make it a multiple-choice poll?
"Double-tiple"... In case... I'm still able to change that...

Reply #3
The basic description of the technique would be: Relax that thing between your ears. It's a relaxation exercise. Relaxation is not as simple as you might think, but when you get the hang of it, you'll see it's useful for many amazing things. At the same time, locate the aching and isolate its location. These points together, relaxation and isolating a problematic location, work miracles.

Reply #4
Relax that thing between your ears. It's a relaxation exercise.

Drat, you preempted my semi-witty remark about how I don't believe in meditation techniques for relieving headaches, only in meditation techniques for relieving stress. Luckily there's a warning about new posts. :)

Reply #5
I can't remember the last time I had a headache, but it was decades ago just before I stopped imbibing alcohol. Presently I'm onto diet, caffeine-free Coke, and it doesn't cause headaches. Nor do orange juice or

Reply #6
I don't believe in meditation techniques for relieving headaches, only in meditation techniques for relieving stress.
Why would you believe that?

Reply #7
It's a joke with a serious undertone. If stress is giving you a headache, try to do something about stress. If it's dehydration, drink some water. If you indeed meant reducing the symptoms only rather than addressing the cause, in most cases that doesn't sound like a great idea in the long run.

Reply #8

It's a joke with a serious undertone. If stress is giving you a headache, try to do something about stress. If it's dehydration, drink some water. If you indeed meant reducing the symptoms only rather than addressing the cause, in most cases that doesn't sound like a great idea in the long run.
You mean meditation would not address the cause? Depends on the diagnosis of course. For example, I don't have headaches, so am I missing symptoms or am I missing the cause? Most people around me who have headaches, they get them regularly all life long, young and old, with stable lifestyle or changing lifestyle, so there seems to be a persistent rather autonomous cause. How would you address it?

Reply #9
Medicare!..
Yesterday, I tried just everything I had: coffee with cinnamon etc., mate with green tea, drugs, a Vietnamese balm, vitamin, hot shower.

Reply #10
You mean meditation would not address the cause?

Usually it would; sometimes it wouldn't. But your question makes me think you misread or misunderstood what I originally wrote. It primarily addresses your formulation. :)

Most people around me who have headaches, they get them regularly all life long, young and old, with stable lifestyle or changing lifestyle, so there seems to be a persistent rather autonomous cause. How would you address it?

I'd say they should keep a log of a few basic properties of their life: what they drank and ate, how they slept, what the weather was like, anything unusual at home or at work. Above all, visit a professional—not me, a person who doesn't get headaches.*

* Excluding sinusitis once every few years.

Reply #11

Above all, visit a professional—not me, a person who doesn't get headaches.*

* Excluding sinusitis once every few years.
Don't you believe Josh would benefit from your headacheless presence?

Reply #12
Well sure, I could make him a warm cup of tea which would help to relieve cold symptoms as well as prevent or reduce dehydration, and I could instruct in some basic vipassanā-like things* that should help to clear the mind and relax the body, consequently reduce pain and anxiety, and I understand even improve cognitive function.

* Or as I call it, the natural way of calming my mind before going to sleep, which I only later found out is apparently uncommon. What I have since found out is that it's better to do it the next morning anyway, even if I didn't before going to sleep because I was exhausted or late.

Reply #13

I could instruct in some basic vipassanā-like things*

* Or as I call it, the natural way of calming my mind before going to sleep, which I only later found out is apparently uncommon.

So you have an innate concentration practice. I suspected that much. This is commendable :)

Vipassana is mindfulness of breathing, which doesn't work for me, so it's reasonable to expect it doesn't work on some other people too. Do you know of other types of concentration/meditation for Josh's instruction?

Reply #15
I prefer to slip off into a deep slumber. Most always cures my headaches.  ;)

Reply #16
Vipassana is mindfulness of breathing, which doesn't work for me, so it's reasonable to expect it doesn't work on some other people too. Do you know of other types of concentration/meditation for Josh's instruction?

I don't tend to use any breathing practice, or at least not consciously. Still, learning about the concept actually helped me a bit. It can be used as a kind of crutch when things don't work out, but that's probably a rather unhelpful thing to say. Perhaps I've simply internalized the practice since my mother first taught me how to subjugate hiccups when I was a toddler.

What I used to do often as a child when my mind or body wasn't ready to be more at ease, was to close my eyes or hold my hands in front of them, and call up vivid images of what might be grand galaxies or beautiful visualizations of brain synapses, or sometimes just the Milky Way or star-like circles with flares, and also what I later learned to call fractals. I've read of people doing something similar but visualizing e.g. a waterfall or a beach instead.

There's also becoming aware of your heartbeat by focusing on your neck, wrist, or chest and using your mind to follow your bloodstream, as it were, from there to different body parts. The easiest way to get started is to put your fingers on your neck, your wrist, or your heart so you actually feel the pulse from the get-go, but it's not necessary. I don't particularly care for this method, but the heartbeat drowns out interference from strange environs or flu-related pains.

NB These are merely my personal methods. Use them at your own risk. :P

So what do you do?

Reply #18

Me? Suffer.
I have an axe here at hand, though...[abbr=:whistle:][/abbr]
So the other option is to try to kill someone else? I know an old couple who used to play run-and-catch games with an axe, running around the house. I haven't asked if they got rid of headaches this way.

@Frenzie
Concerning headaches, I have told my method: I see the ache coming from afar and I catch it before it does anything. The trick is in being aware of the impulses inside (I see them as some kind of colour blobs moving around) and anticipate their next change. Avert the unwanted change by means of willpower or conscious shift of perceived distance from the impulse. The distance is purely mental and you can change it at will. When the ache is mentally far, it won't have an effect. All this presupposes of course that you have a realistic picture of your internal impulses. This works for me so well that I don't take any drugs.

Reply #19
An headache that passes with concentration, meditation, relaxation, etc, it's not a real headache.
For real headaches or migraine, only chemicals can relieve suffering.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #20

An headache that passes with concentration, meditation, relaxation, etc, it's not a real headache.
For real headaches or migraine, only chemicals can relieve suffering.
Have you seen a man drive a nail through his own hand without flinching? That's the kind of concentration and willpower I am talking about. Except that driving a nail through the hand serves no purpose other than showmanship. But the principle is the same in extinguishing headaches, even if they be migraines or whatever. Just relax that thing between your ears and everything becomes possible. It takes some practice of course, it's not a mechanical procedure with just one kind of results each time.

Reply #21
Have you seen a man drive a nail through his own hand without flinching? That's the kind of concentration and willpower I am talking about.

Yes, I've seen the most amazing things of that kind but that's not an easy thing to do or even accessible to most people.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #22
Yes, I've seen the most amazing things of that kind but that's not an easy thing to do or even accessible to most people.

Nor, for the most part, desirable. Pain tells you to stop what you're doing, or you might break your body.

Reply #23
Just heard that it's sorta "storm" going on. A woman in the bank I went said it's sorta magnetic blizzard or sompm.

Reply #24
Headache as a magnetic blizzard? Maybe magnetotherapy is for you...