Skip to main content
Topic: Notes feature as of this weekend (2015-03-28) (Read 4135 times)

Notes feature as of this weekend (2015-03-28)

We have Notes!! :D

Hopefully they will be available in weekly #65. (I had trouble making the feature visible, most likely because of the way I had used to build Otter on my machine, i.e. an issue affecting just me.)

The good thing with Notes is that double-clicking the note item takes the user back to the webpage where the snippet was copied from.

In about:notes under the Delete button there's an Add button that looks somewhat out of place in my eyes. The Delete button concerns the specific note item, whereas Add concerns Notes globally.

Request: Instead of the Add button (or perhaps in addition to the Add button), I'd like to see a Properties button that would indicate the URL of the note item, the amount of characters in the note item and perhaps some more data (a la Image properties).

Re: Notes feature as of this weekend (2015-03-28)

Reply #1
@ersi, right now URL is visible in status bar (or elsewhere, depending on location of widget to show status tip) when hovering item.
I don't like the idea of properties dialog at all. ;-)
We could do that the same way like on other about pages, add labels showing values for selected note, and hide it (and these buttons too) when shown in sidebar (the same applies to other pages, that bottom case causes sizing issues in sidebar and is almost useless anyway).
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #2
It's okay about the properties dialog, because I just remembered a much bigger wish.

I would like to have proper editing capabilities. Instead of elaborating the editing window in Notes, it would be fantastic to be able to divert the content of the editing window to an external editor. (I would very much like to have the ability to use an external editor elsewhere too, when viewing page sourcecode, in webpage textareas, in composing email when email gets done...)

Reply #3
@ersi, external editing is something to be done in future, the biggest issue right now is a way to fetch preferred applications for specified MIME type for each platform, which is extremely complicated under Linux (and BSD, Solaris etc.) despite claims made by desktop environments about conforming fdo spec for this use case (it's like that as both KDE and GNOME have different ways to enforce proper set of default applications for own desktop plus some other reasons)...

Reply #4
I don't want the preferred applications. I want to specify my own applications. For example in DWB browser I can specify xterm -e nano dwb_uri and the content of the textarea goes along.

Reply #5
@ersi, sure, but these are linked, to do it properly it's better to wait for that feature.

Reply #6
More notes on Notes:

1. The Notes manager has a bar to divide the Folders&Items from the editing area. This divider should be draggable to expand/reduce the editing area.

2. Focus (F9) is unable to exit the editing area. "Activate content" action (F9) works nicely in webpage textareas, it leaves the editing and focuses elsewhere. It should be able to do the same in manager tabs. This is a necessary accessibility feature, for example when the user is in the editing area, but then he wants to switch tabs, i.e Ctrl+Tab - in the editing area this only makes indentation. So the user has to change focus first - "Activate content" (F9) is meant for this, When the focus is out of the editing area, Ctrl+Tab to switch tabs will work.

Reply #7
thx very much! i was old opera-user. :D

Reply #8
Weekly report #65 (30-03-2015),is getting better,but:
Otter does not keep passwords
No extensions
does not have a favicon
Do not check spelling
The problem with the Polish letter "ń"
Errors in the toolbar configuration
If you clear the menu, you can not return to the menu
Improve the appearance of the interface

Reply #9
This is so cool, thanks a lot!
Is there any way to import Opera notes than copying them by hand?

Reply #10
Otter does not keep passwords
No extensions

Some work was already done for extensions, see #42.

does not have a favicon

Favicon?

Do not check spelling

Indeed, but there is now solution to implement it.

The problem with the Polish letter "ń"

Works fine here, both "ń" and "Ń", there used to be an issue some time ago but it should be now fixed for some time.

Errors in the toolbar configuration

What exactly? There were some minor fixes already.

If you clear the menu, you can not return to the menu

Clear menu? Hide menu bar or what?

Improve the appearance of the interface

Obviously, but we will need someone skilled with design and able to work on QStyle subclass...

Reply #11
More requests to the N

@ersi, right now URL is visible in status bar (or elsewhere, depending on location of widget to show status tip) when hovering item.

This behaves problematically right now. When I move the mouse over the note item, its URL of origin displays on the status bar, but the next moment the entire note item flashes in a tooltip and the URL disappears. The tooltips in manager pages should be configurable. To me it would make sense to configure them with the setting EnableTooltipsMode in about:config.

Another thing is the font in notes editing area. Is it configurable? I think it should have its own dedicated line in Preferences > Content > Fonts. And menus fonts, address field font, etc. should also be configurable.

Reply #12
@ersi, we shouldn't mix settings that are specific to webpages and application itself.
We can go for separate setting to enable tooltips in GUI and separate page in Advanced to configure fonts.

Notes feature as of this weekend 2015 03 28

Reply #13
I am champing at the bit for a 3d shoot. Anything in the Houston area this weekend??
Если дела идут плохо не ходи с ними.

Reply #14

This is so cool, thanks a lot!
Is there any way to import Opera notes than copying them by hand?

HI,
Same demand !
It would help a lot if Opera notes.adr could be imported !