Skip to main content
Topic: Questions to the Administrator (Read 98925 times)

Re: Questions to the Administrator

Reply #25
ׂ

Reply #26

If you think it's too large or too small you can adjust it in Preferences > Web pages > Normal font (assuming Opera/Presto).

Yes I'm quite aware of that.  ;)
But as j7n says that would affect all other pages so that's getting left alone.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #27
If I'm gonna adjust the font size, that would affect all other pages.
That's kind of the point. ;)

I recognize that many sites are broken and for some bizarre reason think they should display text in roughly 78%-80% of a user's chosen font size (Wikipedia goes for 0.8 ). Despite this blatant disrespect for the user, if it's widespread enough I suppose you might argue it becomes "broken" to do the right thing. However, many sites do the right thing, so I don't think that argument quite holds its ground.

At the same time, I like a slightly larger font size. You say it's hard to read sitting close to the screen; I say a smaller font size is harder to read leaning back. :P But of it depends on the monitor in question.

JoshL actually requested I stick a quick font size adjuster in the top right or something. That'd be easy. I could attach some localStorage to something like this:
Code: [Select]
javascript:void(document.documentElement.style.fontSize='12px')

I think that'd probably be the easiest way to satisfy various preferences.

Reply #28

JoshL actually requested I stick a quick font size adjuster in the top right or something. That'd be easy. I could attach some localStorage to something like this:

I think that'd probably be the easiest way to satisfy various preferences.

Good idea, then we can set it to the size we individually feel comfortable with.  :)
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #29
Okay, first I'll implement something that sets the font size on DOMContentLoaded (after dinner). I'll work on the size up/down links later.

Here's a bookmarklet that'll allow you to preset the fontsize:
javascript:(function(){localStorage.fontSize = prompt('Enter font size', getComputedStyle(document.documentElement).getPropertyValue('font-size'))})();

Of course I think it's easier to just apply a user stylesheet as outlined above. :P

Reply #30
Alright, if you refresh you'll find that I changed the default size to pixels, for I think it's better to be honest about it if we don't quite respect the user's settings than to back-handedly set the text at 80% of the user's preferred font size.

The bookmarklet in the post above this one is now also functional.

Reply #31
ׂ

Reply #32
I'll switch font sizing to rem, but as a quick fix I switched it to "smaller". rem works in Fx 3.6+, IE9+, Opera 11.60+, and allegedly also in Chromium, so I figure that should be alright.

Why rem hasn't been in CSS since about the beginning is another one of those great mysteries.

Reply #33
I use the FireFox Extension called[glow=red,2,300] NoSquint[/glow].

NoSquint will remember my zoom settings per site, & revert to default if I don't visit in a user specified period of time.....mine is 3 months.

You can also set the default settings (within the extension) to whatever % you wish.

..... If you disagree with what NoSquint calls a site, a powerful exceptions mechanism lets you split up or group together sites with URL patterns.

Reply #34
That looks pretty clever.

Font size

Reply #35
Quote from: Boss
At the same time, I like a slightly larger font size. You say it's hard to read sitting close to the screen; I say a smaller font size is harder to read leaning back. :P But of it depends on the monitor in question.

It is perfectly ok just about right now! :up:
By the way, what does this icon mean?

Reply #36
ׂ

Reply #38
Quote from: Josh

What if I click on "Logged"?:)

Never, ever, click that button. That's the ejection button...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #39
[WHISPER=Belfrager]Yeah, and in "testing" I thought of TESTING the reporting feature -- there was a Luxor there... I don't know!;)[/WHISPER]

Reply #42
Oh, what do these links in the cellar do?
SMF 2.0.6 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
XHTML RSS WAP2
The very first seems to lead somewhere to the forum itself; among the lowest three the left contains some "validator" and I don't get it, the other two contain the forum's name, so what are they for? Are we able to use this forum by phone or what?

Reply #48
Near the top of the page there are these two links:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

They serve me well enough.

Reply #49
Me too! ;)
Still, I have a slight suspicion that some such lists don't currently show all the stuff they should. I mean I used some such "new posts" things (especially those from the 'index' page, alonside with the "from the last visit" one): currently they all have one page, seems ok, but then, when check the sections "manually", I find some lower items with "new" flashies... I don't mind it very much currently - mainly because those sinking topics are not of my interest, but - a peculiarity, say...