Skip to main content
Topic: Questions to the Administrator (Read 98925 times)

Questions to the Administrator

@Frenzie

I was wondering, why is it that whenever I Reply to a post....post a response in a thread....when I post it I get thrown out into the Index Page, rather than remaining at the just entered post to review??

Is there an option that can be chosen, on either my part or yours,
to circumvent this troubling 'feature' ?

Thanks

..... On a non-related subject, are all BB Codes available for our use, or must some be turned on/activated by you before we can access them for our forum usage?

I've tried a few from my/a personal list on one of my FireFox toolbars I've used elsewhere that seem inoperative here in this forum/bulletin board.

Thanks again   

Re: Questions to the Administrator

Reply #1

Is there an option that can be chosen, on either my part or yours,
to circumvent this troubling 'feature' ?

Yes there is in your profile > Look And Layout section.
Tick the check box Return to topics after posting by default.

Reply #2
@ohme

Thank you...took a bit ta see the forest thru the trees, but now it's crystal.

Reply #3
I changed the default, so new users won't have to bother changing this setting. I also changed the quick reply default to "show, on by default".

Reply #4
What does those interrogation symbols means?
A matter of attitude.

Reply #5
..... On a non-related subject, are all BB Codes available for our use, or must some be turned on/activated by you before we can access them for our forum usage?

I've tried a few from my/a personal list on one of my FireFox toolbars I've used elsewhere that seem inoperative here in this forum/bulletin board.

Here's a list of supported bbcodes. What kind of bbcodes did you try that are inoperative? I'll point out in advance that I'm not especially fond of embedding video instead of linking to it.

What does those interrogation symbols means?

That I meant to select the exclamation mark and never noticed I accidentally missed by one. :P In the case of Barulheira he doubtless means it as a question. If I were to make a custom theme (NB that's merely a far-off possibility for months from now) I'd actually consider removing those because I don't really see the point and they mostly seem to provide visual clutter. I'm open to different opinions.

Reply #6

Here's a list of supported bbcodes. What kind of bbcodes did you try that are inoperative? I'll point out in advance that I'm not especially fond of embedding video instead of linking to it.

Ahh....ok, being your forum, I respect your decision not to include the same or similar formatting (if available) as we had grown accustomed to in the MyOpera Forums for whatever reasons you believe valid.....though this may be disappointing, I respect your decision(s).

The ones I had problems with I've fixed. I was using the MyOpera BB Code Set (old habits die slow), which -- as you know -- utilizes different key expressions.

Code: [Select]
A simple example: 

MyOpera        [IMG=IMAGE URL HERE] [/IMG]
vs. 
Traditional    [IMG]IMAGE URL HERE[/IMG] 

Reply #7
ׂ

Reply #8
Not too much important, just for curiosity...
When do we stop to be "newbies"? then we turn what?
A matter of attitude.

Reply #9
These are the defaults:

Newbie 0
Jr. Member 50
Full Member 100
Sr. Member 250
Hero Member 500

Reply #10
Opera used to have levels to define stages of membership (I think it was three levels but I may be wrong). But they stopped it, one would be interested to know the reason for that. Personally I don't really see much point in membership levels; one could imagine it being of some use of there were some form of vetting for new members, but there didn't seem to be any vetting in Opera, excepting the obvious such as spam or vulgarity.

As an aside, my signature on Opera refers to "Rebmem from Wessex". Wessex is obvious, but Rebmem was something I chose in a fit of self-depreciation, when I had sufficient posts, declaring myself a Member but a little backwards.

Reply #11
Apparently this feature is surprisingly integrated. I can assign members to a non-post based group and then hide their title, but I can't remove the "Newbie" group. I'll have to look into this further at a later date as I don't see much of a point either.

Reply #12
On the Newbie thing; can you change the number of posts for transition from one level to the next; if so then the numbers could all be 1..... or 1,2,3   ?

Reply #13
I have a problem, at Opera I could select a part of a post and use the Quick Quote function and quote just the part I wanted to reply.

I'm sorry but I'm not realizing how to do it here...
Thanks
A matter of attitude.

Reply #14
Unfortunately that's not available by default. I should be able to implement such functionality without too much effort, although getting it right (with the link to the original comment and everything) might be a tad harder. Rest assured that I am motivated to implement quick quote.

I could probably throw together a serviceable (but not exactly good) Quick Quote UserJS as early as this week if you like, but getting it as default functionality will have to wait.

@string I'm not sure. Perhaps I can leave this problem to Macallan. :devil:

Reply #15

Unfortunately that's not available by default. I should be able to implement such functionality without too much effort, although getting it right (with the link to the original comment and everything) might be a tad harder. Rest assured that I am motivated to implement quick quote.

I could probably throw together a serviceable (but not exactly good) Quick Quote UserJS as early as this week if you like, but getting it as default functionality will have to wait.

Thank you Frenzie. It's not fundamental, but many people uses to post large posts and, besides, full of BB Code and emoticons that makes confusing to decompose for quoting just the points one wants to comment.

Whenever you have the time and disposition, it would be great. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #16
Quote from: Boss
That I meant to select the exclamation mark and never noticed I accidentally missed by one. :P In the case of Barulheira he doubtless means it as a question. If I were to make a custom theme (NB that's merely a far-off possibility for months from now) I'd actually consider removing those because I don't really see the point and they mostly seem to provide visual clutter. I'm open to different opinions.
It is ok for me: I've encountered similar markings on some other forums and don't see any troubles at all.

Apparently this feature is surprisingly integrated. I can assign members to a non-post based group and then hide their title, but I can't remove the "Newbie" group. I'll have to look into this further at a later date as I don't see much of a point either.
It is ok for me as it is, too.

Reply #17
Quote from: Belfrager
I have a problem, at Opera I could select a part of a post and use the Quick Quote function and quote just the part I wanted to reply........

Quote from: Belfrager
....many people uses to post large posts and, besides, full of BB Code and emoticons that makes confusing to decompose for quoting just the points one wants to comment.

The above quotes were both made using a simple lil[glow=red,2,300] FireFox Custom Button [/glow]I just assembled.

This button when pressed uses 2 individual popup prompts.

The first prompt asks for the 'name of the person you are quoting'.

The second prompt asks for the 'text that you are quoting' .

I manually typed in your name into first prompt, but I could have easily pasted it in there, & the for the text I copied it from the post & pasted it into the second prompt.

The only requirement to use my 'Quick Quote' Button is you need to be using FireFox with the Custom Buttons extension installed.

If you don't have FireFox, I'll provide you with the code I assembled (I'm not a programmer, I just copy & paste a bit, use a little smarts, & sometimes -- God willing -- it works --- like this one.)

Maybe you can install it somehow in the browser you use (guessing its OPERA) & maybe it will work for you too.

Hope that helps ya 'till the Cavalry arrives!   Good Luck

Here's the code:

var inst = "Add The QUOTES AUTHOR Here:";
var fill = "";            
var name = prompt(inst, fill);

var inst = "Add TEXT to QUOTE Here:";
var fill = "";            
var pop = prompt(inst, fill);

var box = document.commandDispatcher.focusedElement;
var startPos = box.selectionStart;
var endPos = box.selectionEnd;
var selectionLen = endPos - startPos
var text=box.value.substring(0,startPos); 

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

text +="[quote=" + name + "]" + pop + "[/quote]";                 

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

text +=box.value.substring(endPos, box.value.length);       
box.value = text;                                           

box.selectionStart = endPos + text.length;
box.selectionEnd = endPos + text.length + selectionLen;

// =============================================================================

Reply #18
Quote from: SmileyFaze

If you don't have FireFox, I'll provide you with the code I assembled (I'm not a programmer, I just copy & paste a bit, use a little smarts, & sometimes -- God willing -- it works --- like this one.)

Maybe you can install it somehow in the browser you use (guessing its OPERA) & maybe it will work for you too.

Hope that helps ya 'till the Cavalry arrives!

Thanks, yes I use Opera 12.
I'll give it a try, the Cavalry is always late... :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #20
This may be a matter of preference:
At the forum pages (for instance: "Forum Administration & Future"), the window tab displays the page title correctly, although quite narrow. But the page title doesn't appear clearly anywhere else in the page itself. Sometimes I find myself struggling to find out at what forum I am currently. At the top of the page is displayed simply "DnD Sanctuary", and the forum name is in small characters in the hierarchy line.
Is there a way to display the forum name more clearly?
Thread names are quite OK, I think; they have a special highlighted space for them.

Reply #21
My stance is that browsers without a titlebar are somewhat broken. *grins*

I made a small change in the code; do you think it could work for you this way? (You might have to switch over to the DnD theme if you're using another.) The specific style of the text is a slightly different matter that'll have to be adjusted.

Reply #22
Oh! I had forgotten that I'm using Opera without a titlebar. I enjoyed the extra space I got for the pages... until now.
Your change is good for me... but the whole website theme's base font has almost doubled... Should I switch something here?

Reply #23
Are you experimenting with font sizes Frenzie?
As everything seems to have gone very large here.  ???
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #24
I am a strong proponent of user choice, and I practice what I preach. I changed the stylesheet so that it better takes the user's font preferences into account. If you think it's too large or too small you can adjust it in Preferences > Web pages > Normal font (assuming Opera/Presto).

The default style actually did a similar thing of sorts, but it redeclared fonts too many times for no good reason, which would make user stylesheets harder to write. Also, it went with merely 78% of the user's choice. On most browsers with default settings that'd be 78% * 16px = 12px, but I strongly believe that setting the font size to 78% of the user's preferred font size is Wrong™. Incidentally, the 78% thing is also the reason fonts are often inexplicably smaller in Firefox on other platforms (Mac, Linux) because of rounding differences. Don't believe those who would tell you that it's a safe value to use.

I realize that if you set your font-size to 12px, that might have unwelcome consequences on sites that use this 78% trick. To avoid that there's the minimum font size setting in Preferences > Advanced > Fonts, although I recommend copious ignoring of idiot designer's styles, whether with Opera or a textual browser like Links 2.

A sign of a well-written stylesheet is also that one tiny CSS rule will do to override all font sizes on the page:
html{font-size:12px !important}