Skip to main content
Topic: Crisis of Broadband  (Read 12335 times)

Crisis of Broadband

is Crisis of broadband  fact / myth .

or it is just gibberish / gobbledygook ?

Re: Crisis of Broadband

Reply #1
Considering I don't know what this crisis is, it kind of does sound like gibberish. :P

Reply #2
Sparta, next time how about a link? Or at least a wee bit more information? All you have there is a "scare headline" like they use when they want you to watch the evening news on TV. "Is your child secretly joining a religious cult and planning to kill you? Tune in to Channel 2 News tonight at 10 to find out!"

At any rate: Google is your friend (sometimes). I entered "crisis of broadband" and Google turned up several hits like this one, which was first on the list:
https://www.benton.org/node/165222

Seems they're holding a conference to, among other things, decide how to allocate signals that various services use. We have all of these wi-fi toys you know, and in order to be able to handle an ever-growing demand they have to allocate signals in the radio spectrum that were previously used by non-wifi services. At least, that's the quicky "Cliff Notes" version of the thing.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #4
how about a link?

i'll take that as note .

btw , i dont science anything this far .

if Broadband Crisis is true .

then , A Giant Company like Google will  accelerate that .

check their project " Brillo " .

which analogically , we can flush toilet , turn off lights , starting engine , cooking , etc  with android device .

the plot will twisted , if that's just a myth from fear mongers . 

Reply #5
Seems they're holding a conference to, among other things, decide how to allocate signals that various services use. We have all of these wi-fi toys you know, and in order to be able to handle an ever-growing demand they have to allocate signals in the radio spectrum that were previously used by non-wifi services. At least, that's the quicky "Cliff Notes" version of the thing.

Well, I suppose there's a "crisis" of available radio frequencies, but really that just means we can't just fill 'em up anymore with whatever junk we can think of like a hundred years ago. And as stuff like analog TV and even e.g. older cellphone technologies are retired, those frequencies too come available once more. I'd be more concerned about all the energy thus invisibly being pumped all around us.

The only problem I see there is that, e.g., someone could hack your fridge and make all your food go bad?

Anyway, I see some possible minor potential for e.g. starting the furnace in winter when you leave work for home, although any '90s programmable thermostat will do the trick almost as well, but for anything truly interesting you'd need a kitchen robot.[1] After all, you can hardly tell your kitchen to automatically start cooking your beans when really they should be rinsed after soaking first anyway.

[1] I think a couple of arms on a gliding rail in the ceiling of your kitchen would probably be cheaper and easier. I think I read somewhere you can actually get something like that for a quarter of a million or so, but I can't find it at the moment.

Reply #6
I'd be more concerned about all the energy thus invisibly being pumped all around us.
I'd be more concerned about why no study has yet passed muster, hypothesizing such…
But that's just me. (Please keep a close look-out for Maxwell's Demons…if I can't breathe. :) Gotta blame someone!)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #7

I'd be more concerned about why no study has yet passed muster, hypothesizing such…
But that's just me. (Please keep a close look-out for Maxwell's Demons…if I can't breathe. :) Gotta blame someone!)

Mentally add "if you want to be concerned about something related to radio frequencies". But I was under the impression there were definitely indications that the safe legal dosage of electromagnetic fields should probably be a little bit lower than it currently is.

Reply #8
For Oakdale, electromagnetic radiation in all dosages is absolutely safe unless there are studies to the contrary, except that all studies are false if there is at least one fringe scientist with an agenda that Oakdale likes better.

Reply #9
From...
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120522/04163519014/broadband-crisis-does-us-need-regulation-to-force-meaningful-competition.shtml

Susan Crawford believes telecommunications in America are going through the biggest crisis ever, and this is just as bad as the banking crisis was. Monday, at the Freedom 2 Connect conference, the Internet law scholar and former Special Assistant for Science, Technology and Innovation Policy at the White House, laid out what's wrong with broadband in America, hinting and what needs to be done to fix it. It's not going to be easy.

"The stakes are extraordinarily high, this has been an incremental crisis for a long time but now it's an actual crisis," said Crawford, whose book analyzing these issues, Captive Audience, will be published in November. The central issue is the so-called digital divide and what Crawford refers to as the "looming cable monopoly." Due to deregulation, which was predicated on the premise that the free market and competition would protect consumers, cable companies have found themselves with an inordinate amount of power to control the Internet and broadband access while, at the same time, traditional phone companies like AT&T are struggling to keep up and veering towards wireless services.

To support her thesis, Crawford presented some stunning numbers. In the last two years, Comcast market share has grown from 16.3 million subscribers to 18.5, a 14 percent growth. Time Warner Cable has grown 10 percent, from 9.2 to 10.7 million customers. Meanwhile, DSL subscribers have plummeted: AT&T and Verizon market share is down 22 and 21 percent respectively.
So, while it's good to be Comcast, it's not good to be an American citizen. Without competition, there's no drive to improve the service. The average speed of an Internet connection in the United States is around 5Mbit/s. An astoundingly low number if you look at other western countries. South Korea, for example, has an average of 50Mbit/s. And faster connections are starting to be implemented around the world. One gigabit connections are available in countries like Japan, Portugal or Sweden and at much better prices than in the U.S. – in Hong Kong, connecting at one gigabit per second costs $26 a month while in Chattanooga, TN, it costs $350.

Reply #10
Of course, it hasn't occurred to her that AT&T and Verizon don't serve their customers very well…
Quote from: Wiki
Susan P. Crawford (born 1963) is a visiting professor at Harvard Law School and at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law. She has served as President Barack Obama's Special Assistant for Science, Technology, and Innovation Policy (2009) and is a columnist for Bloomberg View. She is a former Board Member of ICANN, the founder of OneWebDay, and a legal scholar. Her research focuses on telecommunications and information law.

Y'all can look it up yourselves… But you won't. BHO's appointees are squeeky-clean and intellectually top-notch! :)
(This is her web-site's most recent post — decide for yourself how relevant it is.)

The "crisis of broadband" is government intervention… Tell me I'm wrong, and tell me why.

(And you might want to mention why She has since 2009 done nothing to make things better… No campaign contributions? :) )

Vote as often as you can! (Nobodies' enforcing that silly "One man, one vote" rule!)

Has nobody noticed that DSL is an outdated (obsolete…) technology? (Just askin'… :) )
——————————————————————————————————————————
I strongly recommend that everyone read Jaybro's link: here.
进行 ...

Reply #11
I was under the impression there were definitely indications that the safe legal dosage of electromagnetic fields should probably be a little bit lower than it currently is.
By the same reasoning, vaccines cause autism…* And Orgone cures almost everything! :)

Sorry. Bad science used as "scare tactics" leaves me cold. (Excuse me: Electrosensitivity…? Really?!) If you can't defeat Maxwell's Demons, don't bother me with bogus statistics…
——————————————————————————————————————
For Oakdale, electromagnetic radiation in all dosages is absolutely safe unless there are studies to the contrary, except that all studies are false if there is at least one fringe scientist with an agenda that Oakdale likes better.
As usual, ersi thinks my opinions are comparable to his: He believes what he's told, and I dis-agree… He's so very quaint, so very Soviet!
No wonder he's given up on finding a "synthesis" of our views!
=========================================================
* Frenzie, people have been trying to "prove" a connection for more than 25 years, and have not succeeded… Is Folklore your fall-back and replacement for science? Or are your motives other than what you'd state? :)

As the girl stated at the end of the article Jabro linked to:
She believes that, eventually, in every district, there will be elected officials who understand and care about these issues. That will be when we'll be able to look for a solution. "We make this a voting issue, that's how we fight back."
In other words, democracy will save us!
Because we know we can trust our democratically elected officials with — everything! (They're so smart…)
进行 ...

Reply #13
Your opinions are incomparable, absolutely unique.
But not "vetted". 'Nuf said.

Don't tell me who agrees with you. Tell me why you think you're right!
进行 ...

Reply #15

The only problem I see there is that, e.g., someone could hack your fridge and make all your food go bad?

Quote from: Frenzie

Anyway, I see some possible minor potential for e.g. starting the furnace in winter when you leave work for home, although any '90s programmable thermostat will do the trick almost as well, but for anything truly interesting you'd need a kitchen robot.[1] After all, you can hardly tell your kitchen to automatically start cooking your beans when really they should be rinsed after soaking first anyway.

[1] I think a couple of arms on a gliding rail in the ceiling of your kitchen would probably be cheaper and easier. I think I read somewhere you can actually get something like that for a quarter of a million or so, but I can't find it at the moment.

this is not  issues   about how they works ,   their Glitchs , bugs , security holes , etc .
but it is  about the radio wave usage .

imagine , when the  lamps  , door , oven , car , heater , Air conditioner , etc .
have an operating system + wifi / bluetooth .
i assume a very low end hardware that support that operating system  is arroud $2-$5 --- >> Not millions dollars . 

so , when that kind of social lifestyle  is happening .
that  will doubled , or tripled  the Radio wave usage , than  from nowadays  .

which commonly wireless are just available for  cellphone , lappies , computers , etc     .

psst ... i still got no clue , wether Broadband Crisis is fact or a myth

Reply #16
There is some crisis at that. Certain Jeep vehicles have been recalled because it's been proven that hackers can get into the system and shut down your brakes, steering and so on while the car is moving. The hacker gets in through the vehicle's entertainment system which is connected to the Internet so you won't miss your friends on Facebook while you travel to see family in the Ozarks. Turns out the car's computer controls are linked to the entertainment system, and once you're into the one you can control the other. Sooooooo......... there's a crisis. Or at least you'll be convinced there's a crisis when you find that you can neither steer nor stop your Jeep.

Needless to say, I'm a trifle less than convinced that we really need broadband control of everything. My lamp already has a switch to turn it on and off, it's not that hard for me to pull the chain or turn the knob. Refrigerators and stoves have gotten by for more than a century without Broadband--- what's the rush to hook them up now? Why do I need to raise and lower the garage door with my cell phone? Am I really better off if my front-door lock can be controlled by phone--- or do I open up new risks (like, a hacker figures out how to unlock your house with his cell phone).

I know it never occurs to the geeks who invent all this stuff, but--- just because you CAN do some thing doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #17
By the same reasoning, vaccines cause autism…* And Orgone cures almost everything!  :)

Sorry. Bad science used as "scare tactics" leaves me cold. (Excuse me: Electrosensitivity…? Really?!) If you can't defeat Maxwell's Demons, don't bother me with bogus statistics…

A quick skim through the abstracts in the document with that apparently offensive title seems to suggest most studies found no differences. Just some random examples: "Hypersensitivity symptoms associated with exposure to cellular telephones: No causal link" and "In this study, two volunteer groups of self-declared EHS and 19 controls were exposed to both sham and real RF exposures by a CDMA cellular phone for half an hour each. We investigated the physiological parameters such as heart rates, respiration rates, and hear rate variability (HRV). In conclusion, the RF exposure by a CDMA cellular phone did not have any effects on the physiological parameters for both groups."

* Frenzie, people have been trying to "prove" a connection for more than 25 years, and have not succeeded… Is Folklore your fall-back and replacement for science? Or are your motives other than what you'd state?  :)

Prove a connection between what and what? That electromagnetic fields have an effect on our own bioelectric systems is simple fact. The only question is the dosage. From another page on the website I linked earlier:
Roughly, 1800 new studies have been published in the last five years reporting effects at exposure levels ten to hundreds or thousands of times lower than allowed under safety limits in most countries of the world.

To compare that to a popular-media misrepresentation of a couple of apparently fraudulent papers that claimed a specific type of vaccine might have side effects doesn't strike me as rational. That being said, I hardly think folklore should be unilaterally rejected. Just because something isn't scientific, or even because an explanation makes no sense, doesn't mean it doesn't refer to something real.

imagine , when the  lamps  , door , oven , car , heater , Air conditioner , etc .
 have an operating system + wifi / bluetooth .
i assume a very low end hardware that support that operating system  is arroud $2-$5 --- >> Not millions dollars . 

so , when that kind of social lifestyle  is happening .
that  will doubled , or tripled  the Radio wave usage , than  from nowadays  .

which commonly wireless are just available for  cellphone , lappies , computers , etc     .

Unless they came with built-in cameras and microphones that listened to your every word, they'd just be idle most of the time except for the occasional ping to the wireless access point. (Of course, there was an issue with TVs doing just that, wasn't there?) But I suppose the Google type of "smart"phone (which I'd call more of a dumb terminal) could cause some kind of congestion there.

Reply #18
The Crisis of Broadband happens inside Oakdale's head. How Sparta was able to detect it, it's a miracle.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #19
If you only followed your own advice...
If you don't follow your own advice, you're a puppet or a fool; and likely to remain so.
Roughly, 1800 new studies have been published in the last five years reporting effects at exposure levels ten to hundreds or thousands of times lower than allowed under safety limits in most countries of the world.
Forgive me for jumping in at such an early point… But I've seen this type of "science" often before.
1800 "new studies"! Oh, my. (Are any of them worth the electrons it took to post them? :) You do know how most countries determine "allowable safety limits" don't you?
[…] I hardly think folklore should be unilaterally rejected. Just because something isn't scientific, or even because an explanation makes no sense, doesn't mean it doesn't refer to something real.
Voodoo Science rules, Dude! :)
If I call reality a Bitch, I am purportedly referring to something real! But the very act of personification detracts from my intent, no? :) No, sir. I'm sorry but scientific claims require scientific evidence and scientific justification.
That electromagnetic fields have an effect on our own bioelectric systems is simple fact.
So did the Big Bang! Would you take a case on that basis to court…? :)
进行 ...

Reply #20
No, sir. I'm sorry but scientific claims require scientific evidence and scientific justification.

Yes, science is all about finding out how things work, not just that they occur. That's just the first step. But that doesn't mean they don't occur until you figure out how they work! Calling the earlier steps in the scientific process unscientific is a bit odd, is it not? :alien:

Reply #21
I wouldn't worry about the health effects of the frequencies of the electromagnetic spectrum in use for communication. There is no shortage of frequency either really, but the most popular frequencies can easily be quite congested.

Reply #22
Eh, I decided to move to a place less than 50m away from a cellphone tower, whereas I'd never move anywhere near 50m from an expressway if I could help it. Just saying. :P

Reply #23
science is all about finding out how things work, not just that they occur. That's just the first step. But that doesn't mean they don't occur until you figure out how they work! Calling the earlier steps in the scientific process unscientific is a bit odd, is it not?

I think that is   Normal .

since always  There Are Two Kinds of People In The World .
I/e ; those that are reactionary , and those that are progressive . 

cant blame them , and un-insult-able .

bc they are just be a Human   .

Reply #24
A crisis of broadband is so much better than a crisis of good looking women.
I'm doing a study on breasts. Unfortunately I have to recognize that American women have beaten the Italian divas.
Nahh.. I was joking, no silicone can beat the natural creation of God.
A matter of attitude.