Skip to main content
Topic: Philosophy, Logic, Formal Systems (Read 73705 times)

Re: Philosophy, Logic, Formal Systems

Reply #175
The continuum theory is not meant to describe only material existence, but all of existence, while logic is used to address the evident structure of reality and distinct entities therein. There is no antagonistic dichotomy between the continuum theory and logic, but cooperation between them.

Let's see if there's a way to describe it better than I have thus far. Scientists have been debating whether matter fundamentally is waves or particles. As per the continuum theory, waves would be waves of something and particles would be particles of something, i.e. fundamentally there would be the continuum, mathematically modelled e.g. as the field in the field theory. This describes the matter.

Nope.
The reason continuum theory to be modelled as a field it's because there's simply no matter at all but potential different states depending on localized differences of strength along one single and continual field. Unless you pretend to resume conscience to be fruit of electro magnetic variations and life to be the same thing (which would be a mere materialist vision updated in order to substitute a classic vision of particles by physical forces), continuum theory only respects to the problem of matter, not the existence of life and even less conscience.

Matter is the objective aspect of reality, the observed aspect. There's also the observer aspect of reality. Let's say the observer, such as some scientist, observes particles and waves. If he's a rational scientist, he'd logically deduce that all spatiotemporally detected phenomena imply corresponding undetected phenomena. Some of it is undetected because it's in spatiotemporal locations not currently observed. Some of it is undetected because the observed phenomena are phenomena of something, implying the existence of something which they are phenomena of. (The same way as physicians only observe symptoms of the disease, whereas what they are really getting at is the disease, which they can never observe directly, only via symptoms. Similarly physicists should know they are observing phenomena of reality, not directly the reality; or let's call it phenomenal reality which logically should invite to consider the underlying or concurrent non-phenomenal reality.) And some of it is undetected because it's on the observer side of reality, not on the observed side.

That is correct and what the continuum theory definitively breaks with it's the observer's mental interpretation of "small things that orbits around small things".

Towards the beginning it shows some icky l'art moderne which makes me wanna puke. I have to recover from this and try again some other time to learn the lesson of beauty.

It's there for you to puke.
The interesting part is the explanation why you and everybody else should puke, that's why beauty matters.
That's the problem with videos, an entire hour just to say what could be said in ten minutes.
Maybe it makes no sense to you, but I really don't see the continental and analytic philosophies as irreconcilable. Analysis and method is central to both.

It's not what is common but what is different.
Reading this will make anyone understand the differences but I reject the vision of complementarity between the two. Clearly one leads, the other being merely subsidiary.

You write very long posts, by the way. I appreciate the style, very professorial and didactic, but it turns difficult to answer to everything. There's much more to be said but forums are like soap operas, tomorrow there will be another episode.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #176
@Oakdale
So for you the whole issue of "statistical reasoning" is about the debate between the so-called objective and subjective interpretation, whereas I don't get the debate in the first place to be able to take sides in it. What is it about?

I think I made my own view on probabilities clear enough in this post, but I will make the same point again now. Statistics addresses reality (or relevance or truth) by means of inductive reasoning: The more it occurs in the statistics, the more real/relevant/true it is. This "statistical reasoning" says at best *that it occurs* but it doesn't say *what occurs* and therefore it's of very limited utility.

*What* occurs is accounted for by means of logical analysis of the apparent elements in the system or in the model that is being studied. The "probability" in the process of this analysis is to get the definitions and labels straight and relevant. To get the delimiting definitions wrong is to make the elements in the system inconsistent, "improbable", "unlikely". This is the domain of deduction.

For example there's the statistical measuring of weather phenomena. The data on wind speed, temperature and precipitation is the domain of your "statistical reasoning". It only tells that stuff is going on, but it tells nothing about what speed, temperature, and precipitation are.

To tell *what* is going on is a whole different analysis. In order to get to this, substances are posited, i.e. there's speed, temperature, and precipitation of something and the study of this something becomes possible only after it is posited and defined. In this approach, probability does not exist per se ipso facto prima facie, but only exists as probability of something. And at this point I think it's evident that the whole objective versus subjective debate within the Bayesian framework is transcended.

Then further there's also the question *why it occurs* but this is beyond the scope of probabilities.

The reason continuum theory to be modelled as a field it's because there's simply no matter at all...

This would be my conclusion too :) but my modest aim was to demonstrate the process of analysis, not to provide the conclusion. The process of analysis will take you to a/the conclusion sure enough, but thou shalt not jump to conclusions prematurely. Patience and rigour will ensure you that the conclusion you get is the right/appropriate one.

And I see I must spend more care on proving that the continuum theory does not break at any point. The same way as it reconciles the wave and particle by taking them both to be different aspects of the continuum, it also reconciles the observed and observer aspects of reality. It's just that the unification of objective and subjective is trickier to describe. I thought my mentioning about the synthesis of seeing and hearing, and about metal detectors failing to detect stone-age traps which must also be accounted for would get the point across, but evidently not.  

It's not what is common but what is different.
Reading this will make anyone understand the differences but I reject the vision of complementarity between the two. Clearly one leads, the other being merely subsidiary.

Well, I happen to see that the common points are leading the way. To me the differences are more cultural than methodical, more aesthetical than ethical. I am yet to see the relevance of culture and aesthetics to science and philosophy. I see the relevance of it to some scientists and philosophers, but not to science and philosophy as such.

Reply #177
(Belfrager: Thanks for the link to Leiter's blog!)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #178
*What* occurs is accounted for by means of logical analysis of the apparent elements in the system or in the model that is being studied. The "probability" in the process of this analysis is to get the definitions and labels straight and relevant. To get the delimiting definitions wrong is to make the elements in the system inconsistent, "improbable", "unlikely". This is the domain of deduction.

I don't have any serious qualms about this way of putting it… But there really are some who deny the necessity of the model (premises) as a vehicle for deduction! They're hung up on the phrase "knowledge is warranted belief" in conjunction with "science is provisional"… The whole being right, for the wrong reason trope.

It's hours since I should have been a-bed. But, tomorrow (actually, later today!), I'll try to find the paper I most recently read — as an example of what I mean; since I don't think I've made the position clear… Also, because I don't quite understand it myself!
For me, probability is conditional on premises. Always. (And statistics -statistical reasoning, if you will- is a deductive discipline… A form of mathematics.)
进行 ...

Reply #179
I am yet to see the relevance of culture and aesthetics to science and philosophy.

Fundamental to philosophy, apparently not so much for science (exact sciences).
Both are not the strict result of methods, as I believe you defend, but the result of particular men using such methods which is a different thing. It seems an evidence but it has deep consequences.

Each man carries a reflection of it's own culture and there's no way philosophy - nothing but the reasoning about the perennial questions - not to reflect it. Even the questions would be formulated differently leading to different answers.
It happens at all the philosophical disciplines from ethics to metaphysics. Different languages adds huge complexity to that. Some, as Heidegger's case, would even assume German being the only language enough elaborated to allow a man to really think... :)

Logics are a particular and special case. For some reason it is studied by two different disciplines, philosophy and mathematics, each using it's own form of notation, the content being the same.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #180

Each man carries a reflection of it's own culture and there's no way philosophy - nothing but the reasoning about the perennial questions - not to reflect it. Even the questions would be formulated differently leading to different answers.

Sure, but doesn't the fact that we can see and understand this provide an opportunity to transcend the problem and synthesise the essence of variegated cultures, experiences, and ways of inquiry? I seriously don't get it when one is able to generalise to the fact that "everybody is different" and then doesn't see the gateway opening to the unity. It shouldn't be too hard to generalise towards an actual generality, just like cold and warm are ordinarily considered opposites, but both are temperature.

Logics are a particular and special case. For some reason it is studied by two different disciplines, philosophy and mathematics, each using it's own form of notation, the content being the same.

And isn't this realisation too in and of itself a stepping-stone to unite the two?

Reply #181
ersi, here's an example of the sort of thing I meant: (1997) Duhem's Problem,  the Bayesian Way, and Error Statistics, or "What's Belief Got to Do with It?"

Since the paper is behind a pay-wall, I'll give you a pertinent taste…
In a nutshell,  the subjective  Bayesian  model of confirmation  says that evidence  e confirms  hypothesis  H to the extent  that an agent's  degree  of belief  in H is higher  given  evidence e than what it was or would be without evidence  e. Probability  measures  subjective  degree  of belief.  The agent's  degree  of belief  in H after evidence  e is called the posterior probability  assignment.  The degrees  of belief an agent has in a hypothesis H and its alternatives  without evidence  e are the prior degree  of belief assignments.  Inductive  inference from evidence  is a matter of updating one's degree of belief to yield a posterior  degree  of belief so as to cohere  with Bayes'  theorem.
进行 ...

Reply #182
Sure, but doesn't the fact that we can see and understand this provide an opportunity to transcend the problem and synthesise the essence of variegated cultures, experiences, and ways of inquiry? I seriously don't get it when one is able to generalise to the fact that "everybody is different" and then doesn't see the gateway opening to the unity. It shouldn't be too hard to generalise towards an actual generality, just like cold and warm are ordinarily considered opposites, but both are temperature

Where you see a gateway to unity, I see tension. A dynamic tension that fuels thought.
Synthesis can't exist without thesis and antithesis.
And isn't this realisation too in and of itself a stepping-stone to unite the two?

I'm not familiarized with philosophy of mathematics meaning for example why and how mathematical thinking differs from philosophical reflection at it's inner structure.
However, it's simple enough to realize that both are tools but besides the area of logics both tools don't dig the same terrains.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #183
@ersi: I drop this here, because it's unlikely to intrude… Perhaps it helps to explain (my views).

Inspiration : )
What is the meaning of coincidence?
It's depth doesn't matter. Even mere lack,
simple juxtaposition, takes me back
to a simple truth: What there is of sense

in my musings is mostly reverie…
I don't think myself incapable of
real connected thought; only, that I love
"found objects" — and that they matter to me,

as parts of the whole. Inconsequential,
perhaps. But, then, who's to finally know?
One takes inspiration where it will go.
(That is, if one needs such! to feel so full

that he sloshes, like his mumbled-many
glass of beer, as he searches for any…
进行 ...

Why Beauty Matters? (Roger Scruton documentary)

Reply #184
Roger Scruton says, "At any time between 1750 and 1930, if you would have asked educated people to describe the aim of poetry, art, or music, they would have replied: Beauty. And if you had asked the point of that, you would have learned that beauty is a value as important as truth and goodness." There's nothing to disagree with about this. Except that I have questions like why only between 1750 and 1930, and why only limited to poetry, art (=painting, I suppose) or music.

What would "educated people" have answered about the aim of poetry, art or music outside that time frame? Do considerations of beauty apply only to poetry, art or music or can it be considered wider?

The documentary is not short of insights, even though it had hardly anything to add to what I already know. More importantly, it had nothing to add to what I already do in terms of beauty or art. I am probably too well educated to learn much from the Roger Scruton. The sorry state of modern art hasn't affected me. I simply don't go to art galleries to watch modern crap. I go to museums instead. And among movies I do my best to make informed choices.

The aspect in modern culture (I'd really make this about culture, not art, not even art in broad sense, but rather culture in broad sense) that has affected me though is architecture. Modern architecture sucks in every way imaginable. Not just in terms of beauty, which is not to be found in concrete and glass, but also in terms of building quality and even in terms of straightforward function. In a way it's cool when architecture is replaceable and modifiable Lego-style, but the idea to create a building soon to be replaced is stupid to the core. And those buildings should really serve a purpose. To house some tolerable office environment isn't much of a requirement to begin with, but they fail to live up to even this low expectation. Centuries-old ruins look much more attractive than newly-finished modern bank headquarters. Anyway, luckily I haven't lived in cities too long and I'm not planning to.

According to my definition, art is an aspect of culture in general. Sometimes, like in fiction literature or painting, art seems to acquire an autonomous function, but it never becomes a separate entity. The modernist thesis "art for art's sake" is false and postmodernist extremist derivatives built on this thesis are worse than false. I see art (=beauty) in many everyday things. For example I take delight in well-designed timetables, something where others never look for art or which they don't associate with culture in any way. Well designed in a timetable means easily graspable function and content, and this may be achieved by means of layout and colour.

Conscious consideration of options of layout in a timetable and application of colour to emphasise or clarify its contents easily qualifies as art for me, particularly when the result has the intended effect. This kind of "practical art" can be seen as the way to bring forth beauty in many everyday things, be it by means of harmony of proportions and details in architecture or of the material and function of most ordinary hand-tools. In my opinion, carpenters and masons who build amazing things have similarly amazing tools that they use to build the things with.

The same way, even though I can write computer code only on a very basic level myself, I understand very well what hackers mean by "beautiful code". There's harmony in code, and beauty when it's both economic (well-trimmed in terms of layout, non-redundant and minimal in workarounds). and functional. It's the same as the harmony in mathematics and language (understood as functionality of grammar).

Mathematics permeates the fabric of the universe and is the essence of harmony in nature. Art is art (=beauty) inasmuch as it comprehends and conveys this harmony. This is indeed how I understand the unity of truth and beauty. Here's a little example what I am talking about:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahXIMUkSXX0[/video]

I agree with Roger Scruton in that of course beauty matters and it's important to not lose it, but on the other hand I have not seen a way to extricate or abstract it as an independent function apart from other functions. Somehow I can see truth or ethical virtue as worth pursuing for its own sake, but not beauty. "Art for art's sake" has been tried and, as expected, does not work, whereas truth for truth's sake and virtue for virtue's sake works because the essence of how things work (i.e. how things function) is truth and goodness. And it works even better when truth and virtue are understood as inherent functions relative to the material which is supposed to function, and cannot be imposed to everything everywhere.

For me it's self-evident in the definitions of truth and virtue that they cannot be imposed indiscriminately, because if some potentials are inherent in the material and other potentials are not, then it follows that when one is working on the material there are ways to go against its nature, while there are other ways to be in harmony with its nature. It's wrong and false to go against nature, while it's true and right to be in harmony with nature and, incidentally, it highlights the beauty of the material when it's worked in harmony. There's no question if beauty matters (of course it matters) or why it matters (it matters because it inheres in the fabric of the universe). For me, understanding how beauty matters answers the other two questions.

Reply #185

You write very long posts, by the way. I appreciate the style, very professorial and didactic, but it turns difficult to answer to everything. There's much more to be said but forums are like soap operas, tomorrow there will be another episode.

If text matters (and it does), then it matters to make it readable. I use browsers to make internet readable for me on screen. Things like setting the minimum font size or to apply a custom font face make most internet palatable to the eyes. Even better is to use a text browser in a console. This displays the entire internet your preferred way and not any other way. It's an esthetical choice that works miracles :)

Btw, I have been thinking about a theory of colour, and I guess the best I can do is this: I tend to think of colours in terms of wavelength (a la Newton's theory of light) or in terms of HTML colour chart. It's easy to understand the correlation of colour-perception vis-a-vis different wavelengths. It's easy to see a calculus/equation underlying the colour chart. It's much harder to see the "depth" of colours, its saturation, its associations with other sensations (warmths and coldness), and with emotions (pleasant versus unpleasant). For me depth is primarily a spatial (geometrical) dimension.

At best I could come up with a way to describe colours in terms of contrasts, like red contrasted with green roughly the same way as light gray is contrasted with dark gray. Not sure if for you it would sound complete to describe colours in terms of light and shade, but to me it would do the trick of "depth" in colours.

So, in addition to different wavelengths on a continuum, colours can be described as contrasts vis-a-vis each other. Some contrasts result in better discernibility. Legibility is a function of colours, isn't it? Though there's more, such as the play of light and shadows, shapes and contours, and reflection (the function of mirror), which are all affected by colours. Colours can, by means of contrast or lack of it, emphasise or hide shapes and contours. Colours cause optical illusions when they are laid out in certain shapes or shades. I guess it's good enough to mention it and not go into unnecessary detail :)

Reply #186
Very well...

Regarding the chosen time frame set, I understand why the upper limit, because that's when modernism appears in art but I also don't understand the lower limit. Probably it's just a matter of History of Art chronology considering such period as the golden age of western artistic culture. It's obvious that prior to 1750 the answer would not be different just maybe more sparse and occasional. But then we have antiquity and all those masterpieces :)

Regarding the intellectual level of the documentary it's a very good signal that many people don't learn nothing new with that documentary, unfortunately such documentary it's absolutely fundamental for all the rest. If nothing else to make them actually think while looking to an "object of art".

I disagree entirely with art (and beauty) as a mere expression of culture. Of course the Moais from Easter Island are different from the paintings of Australian aborigines, different from Bruger paintings or Beethoven's music and, considered just as such, a demonstration of cultural diversity but what is the point is to reflect what makes an "art object" to be an art object and not just another object.
My believe is that there's nothing of diversity on that but the very same quest for the same thing.

Mathematics seeks beauty.

The relation between art, truth and virtue it's very much the entering for a superior state of conscience that art can provide and human beings always searched for because it's inserted into our nature. Beauty is so perturbing because it expresses truth and virtue at a direct, impactive way that overcomes the necessity for Reason and escapes the constraints of verbal or written communication.
The very nature of beauty can only be the same very nature of spiritual realm and how it works has to be a fusion between subject and object. Art transforms and unite the observing subject and the observed object.
There's no other explanation.

Btw, I have been thinking about a theory of colour, and I guess the best I can do is this: I tend to think of colours in terms of wavelength (a la Newton's theory of light) or in terms of HTML colour chart. It's easy to understand the correlation of colour-perception vis-a-vis different wavelengths. It's easy to see a calculus/equation underlying the colour chart. It's much harder to see the "depth" of colours, its saturation, its associations with other sensations (warmths and coldness), and with emotions (pleasant versus unpleasant). For me depth is primarily a spatial (geometrical) dimension.

At best I could come up with a way to describe colours in terms of contrasts, like red contrasted with green roughly the same way as light gray is contrasted with dark gray. Not sure if for you it would sound complete to describe colours in terms of light and shade, but to me it would do the trick of "depth" in colours.

So, a world in black and white would make no difference to you? you realize that you can say exactly the same thing about sounds and turn music into a uselessness thing...
In fact, I very much do it with many musics, just the melody gives me nausea. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #187

The relation between art, truth and virtue it's very much the entering for a superior state of conscience that art can provide and human beings always searched for because it's inserted into our nature. Beauty is so perturbing because it expresses truth and virtue at a direct, impactive way that overcomes the necessity for Reason and escapes the constraints of verbal or written communication.
The very nature of beauty can only be the same very nature of spiritual realm and how it works has to be a fusion between subject and object. Art transforms and unite the observing subject and the observed object.
There's no other explanation.

The thing is that I see ethics ("goodness") and truth (comprehension of reality) perform the exact same function. They are of the spiritual realm and they create fusion between subject and object. They have a transformative and unifying effect. It's easy to understand that truth is transcendent, isn't it? And the idea of "objective morality" means transcendence rather than empirical objectivity. Art, truth, and ethics are all transcendent, and consequently they are aspects of the same thing, essentially non-different from each other.

However, an experience of transcendence is intellectually easy to understand and conceptually simple to convey when it concerns ethics or truth, but much harder when it concerns beauty and art. Art is for several reasons quite debatable. For example depiction of nudity, no matter how "tasteful" or "modest" can cause widely varying reactions, whereas mathematical truths evoke hardly any emotions and can be therefore applied to conveyed abstract ideas more reliably. This is why I talk less about art and beauty. Not that art matters less, it's just that the same essential ideas can be communicated simpler by means of other less controversial means.

So, a world in black and white would make no difference to you? you realize that you can say exactly the same thing about sounds and turn music into a uselessness thing...
In fact, I very much do it with many musics, just the melody gives me nausea. :)

You mean you shut music out when it annoys you? I do the same with all aspects of the external world. When there's overexposure, I turn the external world off - sound, colour, sometimes even sense of time. What will be left is the internal world. Internal world and external world are ultimately not that different, but the benefit of the internal world is that it's readily malleable at will. There may be cacophony or disarray in the internal world, but when the external world is shut out, the internal world can be fixed in an instant.

So, it's not that I don't care about colours or sounds. It's that when they come from outside, they are imperfect, they can be annoying (just like Roger Scruton finds defective modern art dangerous, I find the external world in general disappointing), and there's danger of overexposure. Not so with internal world where one can create structure, coherence, light and beauty at will. It's all inside and in a better way. When the external world is maddening, it helps one to stay sane to turn inside.

Reply #188
The thing is that I see ethics ("goodness") and truth (comprehension of reality) perform the exact same function. They are of the spiritual realm and they create fusion between subject and object. They have a transformative and unifying effect.

Yes, that's the fundamental point. I can only say if we are speaking of two different ways to achieve the same or different ways leading to different things by doing and experiencing both.
That's why I think that a good teaching system must include both Reason and Art (emotions). Art not being totally intuitive (it is not a matter of simple "taste") also needs education.

Give those children paintings, music, theater, teach them that not computers.
You mean you shut music out when it annoys you?

Of course but more than that. The music worthwhile of being listened it's the music out of my reach in terms of full comprehension and I'm aware of that. The music I can understand and predict I have no patience for.

I find visual arts much more malleable for wandering inside it and more open to discovery.
Maybe it's just a matter of individual tuning with particular ways of ethereal realities.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #189
So, it's not that I don't care about colours or sounds. It's that when they come from outside, they are imperfect, they can be annoying (just like Roger Scruton finds defective modern art dangerous, I find the external world in general disappointing), and there's danger of overexposure. Not so with internal world where one can create structure, coherence, light and beauty at will. It's all inside and in a better way. When the external world is maddening, it helps one to stay sane to turn inside.

Yes, I suppose so but "autism" is not the way. I know that wanting to change the world seems démodé but... what else can people try?
Things are turning simultaneously disappointing and dangerous and alternative solutions and lifestyles must be found.

Moments of solitude are like food for the soul, a recharge for batteries, but no one can live always in solitude.
Action, praxis, interaction, liberates man and builds new realities. (this was my moment of materialism... :) )
A matter of attitude.

Reply #190

Give those children paintings, music, theater, teach them that not computers.

This summer I took my family to this place (5 pics). Aesthetical enough?

I find visual arts much more malleable for wandering inside it and more open to discovery.
Maybe it's just a matter of individual tuning with particular ways of ethereal realities.

For me literature (both good fiction and non-fiction) works best. Some select movies are good too. What you call ethereal realities are completely inside for me. Internal is the only visual world needed. External is just a distraction.

There's another treatment of aesthetics that I am familiar with, namely The Art of the Novel by Milan Kundera. There he speaks up against what he calls kitsch. Unfortunately, since he is rather close to (post-)modernist himself, he does not scientifically define what he means by kitsch, but educated people can educatedly guess through various hints and examples he gives.

Lately it's particularly evident in the art of cinema how style gets detached from substance. Style gets consciously presented as a sort of substance all by itself. For example the works of Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez clearly apply this "method". In Europe I'd say some new-wavers experimented with "pure style" already in the sixties, but not in a nostalgic referential way the way Hollywood does, but in an avanguardist nonsensical way (which was destined to fade away as a silly curiosity). Also, mannerism in painting (I believe it was an actual self-conscious school) represents kitsch. And those old French sentimentalist pointless overrated novels a la Manon Lescaut.

Not everything old is good. Presenting style as a substance in itself is never good. It always appears hollow and fake to me. Tear-jerking sentimentalism for no cathartic purpose is also fake. Sometimes it works to an extent, as camp-ness or emo or goth or melodrama, but only inasmuch as some redeeming quality of real art is present.

Then again, it's annoying that impressions are subjective and can differ widely in art. Different works by even the same author can have different quality. It's not formal or objective enough! For example Fassbinder's Petra von Kant is a pointless exercise in silly poseuring, while Veronika Voss, which presents essentially the same female character, seems to have maturity and depth. From the latter I learned a thing or two about women, while the former was neither entertaining in any way, interesting in any sense, or illustrative of anything.

Reply #191
Then again, it's annoying that impressions are subjective and can differ widely in art.

Annoying? :) Impressions are the essence of art.

A portrait in painting it's not a mere photograph (in the sense of record, registry). It aims to transmit the impressions the model person triggered into the painter, necessarily different and subjective varying from painter to painter.
Impressionism, as a school of painting,  realized this and wanted to go in the direction I've mentioned in opposition to a certain idea of formalism that characterizes the "classicists" who believed that they were able of capturing how the person really was regardless the impression the person caused. Be it portrait, landscape or any other motive.

Impressionism kept on going through other schools until reality didn't matter anymore and everything that matters were the impressions.
I stop at Impressionism, the rest doesn't interest me because it opens the door to disregard technique and relativize quality.
I really like Manet, Monet, Renoir, etc. the same way I like the Dutch or the Italian painting masters. All them are amazingly good and exceptional artists.

Anyway all this it's not too much rigid. For example I appreciate very much some works of hyper realism and consider that it seeks impressions not, how many people thinks, reality at its higher level. Or even further, watch Dali's melted clocks and dream like landscapes for the first time and how to not get impressed? :)

You mention literature and cinema. Both are an endless subject at their own merit, literature much more than cinema, and can't be compared. Literature has "tricks" other arts can't use.

From Kundera I've read more about his works (or better saying The Unbearable Lightness of Being) than his own writings back at the eighties.

As for Tarantino (more than Rodriguez) I don't think he substitutes substance for style, at the first movies the only ones I find good, very good, he has his own style, namely with multi narratives from different characters that converge for a final climax (nothing too much original, has been done in literature for ages) as well as a jumping camera  for a lively almost hysterical rhythm but there's always substance present - the reinterpretation of violence and how it relates with "normal" people. His killers are nice guys that even tells jokes.
Pulp Fiction can and should be considered a classic of cinema even if much more mainstream than Reservoir Dogs probably his masterpiece.

But yes, I agree that presenting style for substance it's what who has no substance needs to do to get some fame. Art doesn't needs fame in theory... but it helps. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #192

Then again, it's annoying that impressions are subjective and can differ widely in art.

Annoying? :) Impressions are the essence of art.

They are annoying inasmuch as they cannot be formalised, for example mathematically. Mathematical formalisation is the way I see harmony. Mathematical formalisation also makes art reliably conveyable from teacher to student and from art critic to public.

This is what I attempted to convey with the little video on Fibonacci numbers. Mathematical geometry applies to nature and it's beautiful. I know Renaissance masters applied numbers similarly, to argue for and to practically achieve harmony in their own art.

Basically I am annoyed by the fact how postmodernism, which rose to the status of philosophy, even though it only deserves the status of sloppy art criticism, de-constructed all specific purpose away from works of art. Postmodernism, both postmodernist art and art criticism from postmodernist perspective, did away with morals of stories, beauty of images, educative purpose, methodical approach to material and medium. With all those aspects of art out of the window, only annoying kind of art was allowed to remain.

A portrait in painting it's not a mere photograph (in the sense of record, registry). It aims to transmit the impressions the model person triggered into the painter, necessarily different and subjective varying from painter to painter.

In cubism and abstractionism, portrait as a genre of painting lost its meaning altogether. Cubism and abstractionism may "transmit the impressions triggered into the painter", but to claim even this much is claiming too much. Annoying.

I stop at Impressionism, the rest doesn't interest me because it opens the door to disregard technique and relativize quality.
I really like Manet, Monet, Renoir, etc. the same way I like the Dutch or the Italian painting masters. All them are amazingly good and exceptional artists.

Anyway all this it's not too much rigid. For example I appreciate very much some works of hyper realism and consider that it seeks impressions not, how many people thinks, reality at its higher level. Or even further, watch Dali's melted clocks and dream like landscapes for the first time and how to not get impressed? :)

I like coherence, matter-of-factness, consistency, relevance - realism. Impressionists are still realistic enough. Too much distortion of reality for no apparent purpose gets annoying. Dream-like landscapes have their own logic, which is something I happen to understand, but it's not easy to convey.

As for Tarantino (more than Rodriguez) I don't think he substitutes substance for style, at the first movies the only ones I find good, very good, he has his own style, namely with multi narratives from different characters that converge for a final climax (nothing too much original, has been done in literature for ages) as well as a jumping camera  for a lively almost hysterical rhythm but there's always substance present - the reinterpretation of violence and how it relates with "normal" people. His killers are nice guys that even tells jokes.
Pulp Fiction can and should be considered a classic of cinema even if much more mainstream than Reservoir Dogs probably his masterpiece.

Rodriguez also has at least one such stylistically impressive work: Sin City. But it's expressionism rather than impressionism. It resembles German cinema up to Metropolis, and the later film noir, and it has discontinued story-lines too. The style has its undeniable effect.

What I object to in Tarantino and Rodriguez is the lack of morality. In the first works it's in mild form. The characters act on common "human" impulses based on that the world is grim or cold or such, and all that matters is the instinct of survival. In later works the lack of morality gets more blatant as among the characters there are clearly glorified heroes who still act on the same impulses of revenge, violence, etc. morally non-different from their enemies. 

Be warned about Sin City. If you are younger than me, it might change your world. Actually, I'm not saying that you are younger than me. Just saying that you should not inadvertently recommend it to someone younger before having taken a look yourself. But I am not even recommending it to you to take a look. If you think that good old uncle Ersi is recommending Sin City to you, then remember that this came with a warning. But if you have seen Pulp Fiction, True Romance, and Natural Born Killers - these titles are all scripted by Tarantino - and survived them easily, then you should be able to stomach Sin City too.

But yes, I agree that presenting style for substance it's what who has no substance needs to do to get some fame. Art doesn't needs fame in theory... but it helps. :)

What art needs is at least some clarification of its method and purpose, because there already are examples that it might get out of hand. I guess it's evident enough that Scruton's film is precisely about how art is running amock.

The parts where Scruton spoke about architecture were most insightful for me. Art needs a synthesis of function and beauty. Function makes it practical to keep around. Beauty makes it tolerable to live with even after the original purpose may be lost.

In terms of architecture, it's not enough to have some kind of walls around and some kind of roof above. It really matters what kind of walls are around and what kind of roof is above. It matters how well the house keeps the outside things away. This means that the material matters, and it matters how the materials are assembled. It matters how long it will last. And how long it will last also depends on how long people want to live in there. And how long people want to live in there depends on how pretty it is and if it ages nicely. This all makes it good architecture.

The same principle applies to all art, in my opinion. Spoons, chairs, cars, gardens, bookbindings (yes, I actually look at those), etc.

And the same principles can be extended to formal logic too. It is not enough that a conclusion follows necessarily. It matters what the conclusion is about and if it's consistent with other conclusions already arrived at. Formal logic may look pretty by itself to some, but relevance and consistency give formal logic its function. Actually, for me the impression has been a bit different - all the attraction of logic is in its relevance and consistency for me. Its functionality is its beauty. It's only now thanks to Scruton that I hopefully discern beauty a bit better :) 

Formal logic is not an end in itself, but a tool for a purpose. The purpose of logic is to pick up one's own scattered ideas and to methodically build a harmonious world view, one's own philosophy always reliable, always at hand. Does this not sound like a worthwhile entreprise?

Reply #193
I don't want to reply with a strict structure of point by point since it seems to me that we're agreeing at the fundamental thing - modernism has conduced Art to an alley with no exit.
We'll disagree however about any attempt of subjection, hierarchicalization or submission of Arts to Logics. I'll defend the liberation of arts versus the inexorability of logics.

Some points that comes to my mind:

The lack of morality in Tarantino and Rodriguez is not too much important to me, I don't expect them to be moralizing missionaries. What happens is that there's no evolution from first works, but just a sort of continual repeating of a formula that works with the public. It's incredible difficult to be a genius constantly during the entire life... 

I know Sin City, what interested me is how an adaption of a "noir" comics book could be done. Excellent.
I'm interested about cinema narrative, time and rythm and literature owns narrative and how to adapt one to the other.

I like very much architecture, I've worked with it for a longtime, I have several architects in my family and I reflect about it many times (and that's why I "vociferate" so often at jax's thread with that Chinese nightmare).
I'm not sure if Architecture it's pure art. It has to fulfill practical requirements but at the same time opens the door to much more elevated horizons.
I remember an American architect's (the irony...) words when praised how his houses were so rightly made to the dimension, the scale of man:
I don't project houses to the dimension of man but to the dimension of his spirit...

Finally, about "good old uncle Ersi", well, I never thought you to be a teenager but at my early fifties I like to convince myself that I can understand both extremes of human age. If not now, then when?
A matter of attitude.

Reply #194
(I drop this in, without having read much here lately. My intention is to read and relish the exchanges… But not just now; I'm otherwise engaged. I remembered some of what went before, and wanted to add this:)
进行 ...

Reply #195
There was a Greek philosopher, that I don't remember the name but was one of those pre Socratics, that decided exactly to live at the top of a column in the middle of a public square.
From the top of it, he entertained himself throwing his own excrement over the passing by passers.

Much more effective at raising consciousness than asking for help for descending down.
Other times, other philosophers...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #196
He had style.

Reply #197

We'll disagree however about any attempt of subjection, hierarchicalization or submission of Arts to Logics. I'll defend the liberation of arts versus the inexorability of logics.
I never meant to subject arts to logic. What I meant was to imply that both can be modelled the same way. The distinction is not too subtle, so it should be graspable.

If I wanted to subject logic to art, I'd posit a hierarchy where logic is more important than art. But I didn't do this. Instead, my thinking went roughly like this:

Logic obviously has structure. In order to extract a valid conclusion, the premises have to be shaped a certain way. Similarly, art has structure, which means that in order to give rise to valuable/everlasting art, certain conditions have to be met, such as the right material, the right shape, consideration of purpose, etc. If the appropriate conditions are not considered properly, the art will not be best possible. Just like in logic, if the premises are faulty, the conclusion will also be faulty.

To model things does not mean to subject them to logic. Modelling is an approach to make things manageable, whatever the things may be, logic, art, entities, systems or processes.

The lack of morality in Tarantino and Rodriguez is not too much important to me, I don't expect them to be moralizing missionaries.

It would be very silly to expect them to be moralising missionaries. I would be okay if they were morally neutral, ambivalent or ambiguous, like old film noir is. The thing is that they are demoralising missionaries.

Finally, about "good old uncle Ersi", well, I never thought you to be a teenager but at my early fifties I like to convince myself that I can understand both extremes of human age. If not now, then when?

Due to my circumstances, I always had to play the authority, to order others around. It was not properly in my nature to do it, but I had to do it, so I thought about social roles, about their meaning - and especially about their inherent meaninglessness - at a very early age. When I was young, I was already old.

He had style.

If Bel meant this guy, then style was even in his name and he spawned generations of other stylists http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simeon_Stylites

Reply #198
Thank you. I didn't really expect anyone to get it.  :up:

Reply #199
I would be okay if they were morally neutral, ambivalent or ambiguous, like old film noir is. The thing is that they are demoralising missionaries.

Hollywood. post modernist Hollywood and probably supported and financed by Jewish money.

Message in art, or through art, it's a complex thing and even much more at cinema that is a particularly adequate media for that.
Sometimes, when artists are good, we can say ok, it's pure propaganda but it's damn good.
Such was the case of Leni Riefenstahl and her pro nazi movies. She was a genius.

One doesn't change that with artistic production censorship but with a rigorous education for the masses so they can understand what they are watching and that way turn immune to the propaganda.
Logic obviously has structure. In order to extract a valid conclusion, the premises have to be shaped a certain way. Similarly, art has structure, which means that in order to give rise to valuable/everlasting art, certain conditions have to be met, such as the right material, the right shape, consideration of purpose, etc. If the appropriate conditions are not considered properly, the art will not be best possible. Just like in logic, if the premises are faulty, the conclusion will also be faulty.

To model things does not mean to subject them to logic. Modelling is an approach to make things manageable, whatever the things may be, logic, art, entities, systems or processes.

You're wrong on that approach. Art doesn't has those internal mechanisms that regulates and conditions it's output, in other words no rational modelling of art it's possible.
If it was possible you could have art by mass production but you can't.

You do well however about questioning art's inner structure in the sense of what makes an object of art to create a feeling on the observer that makes him differentiate and perceive such object as something with a different nature from regular objects.
Or for example, to ask ourselves where does art resides, at the object, inside us or somewhere in between?
Those are the big questions of aesthetics.
A matter of attitude.