Skip to main content
Topic: Philosophy, Logic, Formal Systems (Read 73703 times)

Re: Philosophy, Logic, Formal Systems

Reply #150

I gathered from your reply that you had no interest in the subject… But —

I'm interested in meaningful discussion. I won't waste much time on false theories. Particularly, I have no time to look into the details of unfamiliar false theories. Ronald Fisher is false, if he indeed thinks that understanding evolves as the theoretical rigour of published treatises solidifies according to his taste. I know you see the gradual improvement of historical track record of human knowledge as a real development of collective human mentality - yet it's sheer delusion to see things this way.

My theory is that the evolution of knowledge occurs within a given ontology. From this perspective, the evolution is seen to be a mere rearrangement of aspects of the same thing. The evolution is a mere distraction. That which evolves is the real thing, except that it's the same thing all along and only appears to evolve.

Still, you may be able to think something through:

In what sense does a single event have a probability?

To be technically correct, it doesn't have probability. It is probable to such-and-such degree or magnitude. Either you presented me with a trick question or your presuppositions are showing through.

How, if probability is merely a personal propensity to believe, do we understand science, when it is statistical?

Why would probability be a personal propensity to believe?

When do we say that something is probable, if we can't agree on what "probable" means?

Probability is what it is. You don't have to agree, but this won't change what it is. Or maybe I don't understand the question :)

Reply #151

My theory is that the evolution of knowledge occurs within a given ontology.

Here's some elaboration. When we learn things, individually it seems we are acquiring new knowledge. Therefore there exists the theory that we create new knowledge from scratch. The theory allows one to say that we invent objects of knowledge, both true and false objects.

But I adhere to the other theory. Given that knowledge is preferably about reality, relevant knowledge should reflect reality. Reality is not invented. Reality is pre-existent and the process of knowledge is a process of discovery of what pre-exists. On this view, "invention" only applies to irrelevancies and falsities.

Reply #152
If you remove the "from scratch" you are left with nothing to say… ersi, you don't recognize  the crucial role epistemology plays.
But it's worse: Your "ontology" has it that everything that can be thought truly must pre-exist as a true thought…as an object of knowledge. But thoughts require thinkers. And, like it or no, thinkers are -at their best- creative!
Your conception would have to relegate all of science to the "irrelevancies and falsities" category. (Do you see why?) Science can't claim certitude, because its methods don't give any warrant for absolute certainty. It does, however, claim better and better understanding of the objects it investigates.
Are these objects real? Well, that's part of the investigation. Isn't it?

Where does one start?
For you, one starts by being taught what to think. For some others, one starts by being taught how to think. (The odd thing is that you don't recognize the difference… Or, at least, you've never transgressed the boundaries of what you were taught to think! That is, you're only a reactionary.) That how does matter: Science is a technique of acquiring knowledge…
But, for you, it can't be. Because "true" knowledge is beyond its grasp.

If you'd think it through yourself you'd see that your ontological precepts preclude knowledge, except by direct revelation… Are you sure you want to go there?
Put more succinctly: Your precepts preclude your percepts. It should be the other way around…

At least. that's what I think.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #153
Science can't claim certitude, because its methods don't give any warrant for absolute certainty. It does, however, claim better and better understanding of the objects it investigates.

There's a situation I'm familiar with that is analogous to this:
Naive Set Theory vs the Iterative Conception of Sets. Would you talk about such things?
进行 ...

Reply #154

But it's worse: Your "ontology" has it that everything that can be thought truly must pre-exist as a true thought…as an object of knowledge.

Reality pre-exists in the sense that reality exists, full stop. You may want to make a turn and (pre-)suppose a multiplicity of objects of knowledge, but there's really just one true object of knowledge - reality itself. Everything else is derivative, secondary, contingent, contextual, less relevant, and at some point plain wrong.

Reality is not a multiplicity. According to the continuum theory, reality is a unity. "Everything" only exists as divisions of it and in it.

But thoughts require thinkers. And, like it or no, thinkers are -at their best- creative!

The creativity, if it is to remain relevant, only occurs as a subdivision or subset of the singular original reality. If creativity fails to take note where it's coming from and where it's going, then it spirals into irrelevancy and is better called deviation or malfunction.

From your point of view, bugs would be creative features of software, but I make a distinction between relevant features and those detrimental to usability.

For you, one starts by being taught what to think. For some others, one starts by being taught how to think. (The odd thing is that you don't recognize the difference… )

As I just demonstrated, it's precisely the other way round. As soon as you say anything, it's usually a given that you are wrong. The thing left to see is how you manage to keep adding to it. Then at other times you are not even wrong, but irrelevant.

Science can't claim certitude, because its methods don't give any warrant for absolute certainty. It does, however, claim better and better understanding of the objects it investigates.

If you aim to defend science this way, then you should have toned down everything you said hitherto. Why? Because you can't claim certitude, that's why. Announcing boldly and with absolute certainty that there is no certainty is plain hypocrisy. Nobody likes hypocrites.

My view is that science is investigation. The result of investigation is knowledge. And knowledge is real, because truth can be told apart from falsity. Certainty can be had, but naturally it's not for those with faulty epistemology who prefer to assume that certainty cannot be had. It's basic common sense that those who run away from knowledge of reality will remain ignorant in direct proportion to their effort.

Naive Set Theory vs the Iterative Conception of Sets. Would you talk about such things?

Sure I would, but knowing you, I ask you first to spell them out, what they are and how are they "vs" each other, and if they really are the only options available on the topic (and what is the topic, btw? probability theory or set theory?). And knowing you, a coherent exposition is not going to happen.

Reply #155
The creativity, if it is to remain relevant, only occurs as a subdivision or subset of the singular original reality. If creativity fails to take note where it's coming from and where it's going, then it spirals into irrelevancy and is better called deviation or malfunction.

All that it's very very debatable...

Reality, unity and creativity, as well as malfunction, are not concepts of the same order, we must be cautious when trying to connect them all. A singular original reality that encompasses everything that is and that could be leaves no space to difference, it's monolithic and leads to an alley with no way out. Unity makes sense if connecting difference.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #156

Unity makes sense if connecting difference.

How would such unity work? What would be the result of the unification? And when unity works and the result is unity, is the difference really a difference?

My answer is that differences can be unified because there's the potential unity in the first place. And the result of unification is unity, cessation of difference. The difference is just a temporary appearance.

Reply #157
My answer is that differences can be unified because there's the potential unity in the first place. And the result of unification is unity, cessation of difference. The difference is just a temporary appearance.

In that case you defend the confluence for a sole, universal, united and unifying being.
Then, why things appears to be, even temporarily, outside of such being, that would be a very mysterious thing indeed.

Unless of course, your words are meant to be an interpretation of the typical religious view where the "original sin" would be that temporarily appearance of divergence. It can work that way...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #158

It can work that way...

It does work. Trust me :)

The problem with it is that when expressed with formal precision, it sounds like a mere theory. Then again, anything communicated is necessarily a mere theory. What is needed is some corresponding experience so that the listener can relate to what is being conveyed. How the listener relates to it is very much dependent on the listener. Some respond better to the obscure way the scriptures express it, whereas others respond better formalised methodical presentations.

I personally shun watered-down popular or cultish stuff inasmuch as I detect lack of intellectual rigour in them, but it's undeniable that appeal to emotion via some simple fluffy metaphor can work miracles for some people. Even watered-down self-help is better than the aimless physicalism devoid of morality. Not too bad as long as people won't get abused.

The problem for intellectuals like me is that I easily end up arguing and disputing. Ability to follow a path and be devoted is only possible after the disputes have ended. But the disputes can end only when things make complete sense, when everything is indisputable beyond any doubt.

A coherent system may look too tidy to be true, but for me truth is necessarily tidy. Otherwise it's unmotivating, doesn't call for commitment.

Reply #159
it seems that is not intellectual .
that is more like Trolling .
and trolling does not really need intellectuall thingy .

and if that is really intellectual like you have mentioned .
for sure you can intelligence nor understand what belf, oak , James , and frenzie talking about .

in another word ..
that is just somekind of stupidity .

On the other hand  , constant talker is really an Emotion Vampires .

Reply #160
It does work. Trust me  :)

Congratulations you just founded Ersisism.
Now, you just need a Prophet... later we can think about a Pope. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #161
Since my system includes the realisation that it's not for everyone, all that external fluff and bloat is unnecessary. For me the barebones minimum suffices. If you need more, ersisism is not for you.

Reply #162
aint nothing can be realization , without really have realization in it .

it is OK , to talking BS .

but , aslong also aware if talking about BS .

Reply #163
@Sparta
It approaches BS fast when you don't realize you are losing your Java.

Reply #164
that kind of red herring aint gonna work .

Reply #165
If you need more, ersisism is not for you.

Wrong marketing... :)
You will not sell too much books.

However I have good news for your system, it's very good for a movie. I mean those European experimental movies that concurs to obscure festivals and no one understands... :)

The reason I'm saying this is to do a transition for something very rare to be discussed here, the aesthetics of ideas.

Your system (well, let's call it yours) aspires to an aesthetic nudity, striped from adornments and superfluous symbolism. If this was architecture, you'll be very much Bauhaus - Home hygiene without home atmosphere.

A matter of attitude.

Reply #166
The marketing looks wrong to you and the aesthetics sterile because I have spent zero attention on those aspects. Bauhaus is an unexpectedly apt description, but completely unintended...

Edit: I don't do aesthetics. However, Kant (one of those philosophers whom I half-openly admire) does aesthetics. Okay, I will also give it a try :)

Edit2: But seriously, you understand that this "ersisism" is by no means unique to me, but a straightforward corollary to a standard solution to the problem of universals? With slight modifications its adherents are Kant, Aquinas, Augustine, Aristotle, Plotinus, Plato, ...

Reply #167
Edit2: But seriously, you understand that this "ersisism" is by no means unique to me, but a straightforward corollary to a standard solution to the problem of universals? With slight modifications its adherents are Kant, Aquinas, Augustine, Aristotle, Plotinus, Plato, ...

That's a legitimate thing to you to think but at a forum it's up to the others to accept it or not... :)

I'm still not convinced. And I'm not convinced for a reason, a particular reason that made me to evoke aesthetics - why beauty matters.
(sorry, that was the only link I could find. At Youtube, symptomatically, it's not anymore available... please see it, at least for a while if it catches your attention...)

For long that I've abandoned any attempt of explaining universals that doesn't takes into consideration and recognizes human differences and, very specially, the human capacity for enchantment.
Some of the authors you mention realized it. :)

A matter of attitude.

Reply #168

For long that I've abandoned any attempt of explaining universals that doesn't takes into consideration and recognizes human differences and, very specially, the human capacity for enchantment.
Some of the authors you mention realized it. :)

Aesthetics is a truly dark area for me. I have atrophied perception of colour, taste and smell, so, for example, I honestly don't grasp the point when someone says "warm colour" and "cold colour". I realize that such concepts (or percepts rather) are necessary elements in individual aesthetics, and I am quite aware that I don't have it. Like a man without legs can see others walking and form a fair idea of what walking is, but he spends his own life without walking, I have spent my life without a proper sense of aesthetics.

As a result you think I am missing something important, whereas from my own point of view I am doing okay. Let's say my entire sense or organ of aesthetics is missing. In this case I probably cannot even have the relevant "taste" and it's useless of you to try to convey to me that it's missing. It would not grow the organ for me. Organs are not grown by talking about them. Moreover, it won't be very convincing to tell me that the organ of aesthetics is something overly vital, when I already spent my life without it just fine.

Of course I know that there are philosophers with an elaborate theory of aesthetics. I just never saw any use to it. You will have to explain it to me in baby steps, if you will, just like work life and parenthood are explained to children. I will try to find time for the documentary too some weekend.

On the other hand, I am quite sure that you on your part are missing the way I account for human differences. My treatment of universals may seem sweeping, but this only because you overlook the nuances, and you overlook the nuances because you don't have the eye for them :) The fact that my expression is not aesthetical enough to your taste (and how could my expression be aesthetical when I don't have the organ for it?) only augments the discord you perceive. To solve this, identify properly what feels out of place for you and I will prove to you that it only seems this way.

-------------------
Now to something completely different. I found the website thelogician.net which contains the writings of a spiritual logician. This is not a theologian in the direct sense, but a propounder of formal logic going over theological and spiritual concepts. At first sight, the most interesting sections of the website are Buddhist Illogic and Logic of Causation.

I have already read Buddhist Illogic and I have a very high opinion of the author's rigour and of his sense of didactics. At every step he makes it lucidly clear what techniques he uses, why and how. The Buddhist text under critique is by Nagarjuna, which I am familiar with, but I think the critique is readable even without having read Nagarjuna.

The website makes a perfect introduction into formal logic. Not for beginners really, but for those who really plan to use it and live accordingly. I personally disagree with some of the ways he construes the implications of the basic axioms of logic, but the exposition is so lucid and clear that I don't hesitate to recommend it unreservedly. I will never become such a clear writer. If you are interested, I can write up some longer comments about what I have gathered from there. It will be about technicalities of logic, perfectly topical to this thread.

Reply #170
On the other hand, I am quite sure that you on your part are missing the way I account for human differences. My treatment of universals may seem sweeping, but this only because you overlook the nuances, and you overlook the nuances because you don't have the eye for them  :)  The fact that my expression is not aesthetical enough to your taste (and how could my expression be aesthetical when I don't have the organ for it?) only augments the discord you perceive. To solve this, identify properly what feels out of place for you and I will prove to you that it only seems this way.

Simply put, the world it's made of inanimate matter, life and ideas. You address matter with the continuum theory and a part of ideas with logic. Very well, but none of those two (continuum and logics) explains the rest.
Life it's not a matter of electro magnetic forces and ideas are far from circumscribing to logic, therefore my call to aesthetics and Art.

It results at a partial, unbalanced, incomplete vision that, in my opinion, can't satisfy. By means of logic you arrive to God - and that's done in a right way but it's a very special kind of God, a logic-mechanicist God that is much more close to the Mason Great Architect than to the God made Man that suffers.

You seek explanation as if explanation were a synonymous of inexorability, when it's not. Ultimate explanation must go beyond pure logic-blocks-Lego-playing and go right into the wholeness of Mystery because Man doesn't serve explanations it's the explanation that must serve Man in his entirety.

I'm sure you have our own ideas about what I'm saying but it was never any substantial, if even ever present, part of your writings.
I found the website thelogician.net which contains the writings of a spiritual logician.

Which contains the writings of an analytic philosopher.
You'll have to discuss it with Oakdale :) He's the one defending analytic philosophy, I lean much more for the Continental tradition.

Anyway, I'll give the Buddhist sophistry a look.

@Frenzie
Thank you for inserting the video, I saw that link to Vimeo but I thought it would be with subtitles in Portuguese or Spanish. Hope you like it.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #171
I honestly don't grasp the point when someone says "warm colour" and "cold colour".

If you want to read something that isn't full of baseless personal opinions that muddle the water, check here.

By assigning warm color depth and mood effects to lightness and chroma, it might seem that the warm/cool contrast is illusory, just a crude way to summarize the lightness and saturation differences between different hues.

But that's the wrong conclusion. The depth and mood effects were grafted onto the warm/cool contrast by late 18th and 19th century "color theorists"; they were not part of the contrast as it was applied in Baroque landscape painting. So we still have the fourth question to answer: why is the warm/cool contrast fundamental to our visual response to color and to the manipulation of colors in painting?

The first step to an answer is that the warm/cool contrast originates in diurnal or climatic changes in illumination, specifically as seen in landscape settings. Thus the Oxford English Dictionary describes 18th century usage to include:

Cold - applied to tints or colouring which suggest a cold sunless day, or the colder effect of evening; esp. to blue and grey, and tints akin to these.

Warm - suggestive of warmth, said especially of red or yellow ... to become 'warmer' or more ruddy: "On a bright morning of July, when the grey of the sky was just beginning to warm with the rising day".

Of course, I should probably add that this all aligns perfectly well with my own personal opinion: that most claims of "warmth" are more about saturation and intensity than color and that the only way to use the terms in a meaningful fashion is to have them refer to the colors associated with warmer and colder seasons or parts of day.

Reply #172
Of course, I should probably add that this all aligns perfectly well with my own personal opinion: that most claims of "warmth" are more about saturation and intensity than color and that the only way to use the terms in a meaningful fashion is to have them refer to the colors associated with warmer and colder seasons or parts of day.

Not exactly. Warm and cold comes originally from photography and it expresses what is known as color "temperature" and it's simply the color measured in kelvin degrees, basically the level of the light specter. Red, orange or yellow have higher values than blue or green.

It happens that by morning and end of day, because the sun being lower, colors tends much more to higher values, to be more redish and orange. At noon colors are less saturated and withish.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #173

Simply put, the world it's made of inanimate matter, life and ideas. You address matter with the continuum theory and a part of ideas with logic. Very well, but none of those two (continuum and logics) explains the rest.

I sort of see why you would think so, but actually this is not a fair summary of how I construe reality and existence. The continuum theory is not meant to describe only material existence, but all of existence, while logic is used to address the evident structure of reality and distinct entities therein. There is no antagonistic dichotomy between the continuum theory and logic, but cooperation between them.

Let's see if there's a way to describe it better than I have thus far. Scientists have been debating whether matter fundamentally is waves or particles. As per the continuum theory, waves would be waves of something and particles would be particles of something, i.e. fundamentally there would be the continuum, mathematically modelled e.g. as the field in the field theory. This describes the matter.

Matter is the objective aspect of reality, the observed aspect. There's also the observer aspect of reality. Let's say the observer, such as some scientist, observes particles and waves. If he's a rational scientist, he'd logically deduce that all spatiotemporally detected phenomena imply corresponding undetected phenomena. Some of it is undetected because it's in spatiotemporal locations not currently observed. Some of it is undetected because the observed phenomena are phenomena of something, implying the existence of something which they are phenomena of. (The same way as physicians only observe symptoms of the disease, whereas what they are really getting at is the disease, which they can never observe directly, only via symptoms. Similarly physicists should know they are observing phenomena of reality, not directly the reality; or let's call it phenomenal reality which logically should invite to consider the underlying or concurrent non-phenomenal reality.) And some of it is undetected because it's on the observer side of reality, not on the observed side.

Do you notice how all this is uncovered easily by means of dialectic, but there's at no point any contradiction with the continuum theory? These two work together. And it doesn't end here.

The observer side of reality should not be downplayed or dismissed without investigation, if the scientist is to remain scientific. Let's suggest some ways to investigate the observer side. Common experience informs us that the manner in which we observe determines the kind of stuff we detect. E.g. we don't detect sound with eyes, but this doesn't mean that sound doesn't exist. It means that we use something else, namely ears, to detect sound. Soldiers looking for mines with metal detectors would fail to detect stone-age traps, which might just as well be there. This highlights the fact that the manner in which to investigate, i.e. the correctly chosen method and attitude, becomes all-important as we move on. Thus far we were considering the objective side of reality, investigated by means of objective empirical methods. When investigating the subjective side of reality, we will have to use the corresponding subjective cognitive methods. Composed mind, sincere attitude, calm introspection, careful attention, prudent caution, these are the methods.

It results at a partial, unbalanced, incomplete vision that, in my opinion, can't satisfy. By means of logic you arrive to God - and that's done in a right way but it's a very special kind of God, a logic-mechanicist God that is much more close to the Mason Great Architect than to the God made Man that suffers.

You seek explanation as if explanation were a synonymous of inexorability, when it's not. Ultimate explanation must go beyond pure logic-blocks-Lego-playing and go right into the wholeness of Mystery because Man doesn't serve explanations it's the explanation that must serve Man in his entirety.

I didn't go all the way to God in my above analysis, but if you take it further on your own, it should be clear that I cannot be accused of a mechanistic Lego-block concept of God. Instead, I am guilty of what Oakdale blames me of, namely grokking. He uses it pejoratively of course, but grokking is really the correct method to explore the subjective aspect of reality, the internal world. It is also the ethical way, to acknowledge what one cognises, and to be silent of what one does not cognise or what cannot be conveyed.

Surely you understand that the exploration of the internal world is not mechanistic. Also, the elements and aspects of the internal world are not speculative logical constructs, not normative, but rather analogically and metaphorically descriptive approximations. They inevitably appear speculative to those completely unfamiliar with the internal world, but they are really as alive as one's own soul is. They are the description of the structure and nature of the soul. They make sense in proportion to the mental adequacy and intellectual clarity of the cogniser.

What I admit though is that some aesthetic packaging would make it all look better and enable possibly to convey an additional dimension of the experience. Maybe trying to put together some theory of colours, which already came up here, would enable me to grok aesthetics. That would be merry jolly :) Unfortunately I have not yet managed to get too far into the documentary. Towards the beginning it shows some icky l'art moderne which makes me wanna puke. I have to recover from this and try again some other time to learn the lesson of beauty.

I found the website thelogician.net which contains the writings of a spiritual logician.

Which contains the writings of an analytic philosopher.
You'll have to discuss it with Oakdale :) He's the one defending analytic philosophy, I lean much more for the Continental tradition.

Maybe it makes no sense to you, but I really don't see the continental and analytic philosophies as irreconcilable. Analysis and method is central to both. Aristotle is one of the fathers of the exposition of logical analysis and fundamental to any and all philosophies (except maybe Nietzsche whose texts consist entirely in emotional pressing points and moral judgements based on aesthetics rather than ethics; let Nietzsche be the unique exception). My own background is classical sructuralism, a continental philosophy focused on analytical dialectic. When I see so many essential common points throughout, I cannot take sides. I simply don't see sides here.

Anyway, I'll give the Buddhist sophistry a look.

It will basically teach you everything there is to know about Aristotelian syllogism :)

Cold - applied to tints or colouring which suggest a cold sunless day, or the colder effect of evening; esp. to blue and grey, and tints akin to these.

Warm - suggestive of warmth, said especially of red or yellow ... to become 'warmer' or more ruddy: "On a bright morning of July, when the grey of the sky was just beginning to warm with the rising day".

This amazingly makes sense, somewhat. However, I have never associated cold and warm to colours of the day this way. To me actual warmth or cold is not very readily relatable to times of day. Could it be partly because I live almost in the subarctic climate zone? Clear day (high pressure area) in winter means precisely extra harsh cold, while it means extra hot in summer. I can perceive the current weather front (or whatever it's called in English) which is either warm or cold, but it doesn't seem to bring about corresponding colour changes in nature. Well, I'll just have to pay more attention, I guess.

Reply #174
I don't mean to intrude here, but a thought occurred to me while reading jseaton's post (which was, meanwhile, responded to…while I was typing, and thinking…):

The reason I prefer and hold to an Objective Bayesian interpretation of probability (and statistical reasoning) is straightforward: Confirmatory evidence needs be pertinent. And probabilities without evidence are but "toy" examples… (Indeed, they just hide the evidence! Like stage magicians, they don't fool many people. Or do they? :) )
Every statement of probability has evidence upon which it is posited. The centuries' old "problem" of green flamingos somehow being evidence for (or against) "All crows are black" is, of course, silly… Yet it persists.
The Vienna Circle's analyses of probability took a big hit from Popper's falsification criterion. But frequentism somehow still survives! (I suspect that is in reaction to Subjective Beyesianism: Rather than take probability as an individual, personal warrant of belief, even metaphysical nonsense is to be preferred!)

Of course, I don't know what I'm talking about… So: Carry on!
进行 ...