Skip to main content
Topic: Same Sex Marriage (Read 56960 times)

Re: Same Sex Marriage

Reply #225
An old man and old woman fall in love and marry. However, because of their age, they are unable to conceive children. Is their marriage somehow unnatural? Is their marriage somehow invalid?
You seem, Sang, as always to confuse your own perspective with things -both natural and scientific- that are quite well understood: For you, sexuality is either a mere preference — or, when your polemical bent requires, "in the genes"…
That's how you were taught to argue, I suspect.
But I decided to reply because of your
why [d]o we need the human population to continue increasing? If anything, it's "unnatural" for a species as large as human[ity] to occur in such numbers as it is [?]
Because we're not lemmings? :) But, seriously, are you one of those fanatics that think Erlich and his like are scientists?
The population bomb won't go boom, unless modern industrial society crumbles… Then, all bets are off.
Do you salivate at the prospect? :(
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #226
I don't know why you have such issues with people responding to your own red herrings. You charged my view of morality with not actually dealing with morality; I quipped that your supposed basis of morality is effectively fictional from my naturalist perspective.
Yes, you said that my morality was effectively fictional - without showing how. Which part of it is fictional? Which part of it has no basis in epistemology? Whereas your own naturalist perspective emphasising "desires" is neither naturalist (in naturalism, there are only physical things, and desires are not physical), epistemological or moral (you are not getting right and wrong from there and you have not shown reasons to promote this or that thing). Which makes all you have said about these things a giant red herring.

My marriage isn't about procreation; it's about commitment. This includes commitment to future children, but why should I be judgmental of those who choose not to or who can't have children?
Yeah, but commitment is hard. There's no reason to desire it. Which is why people have no commitment. So, what's the reason to promote commitment? Where does it come from? Where are you getting it from? Why are you promoting it? Where is it grounded? And how long should the commitment be to be counted as commitment? It doesn't follow from your system how commitment is a virtue. In fact, it doesn't follow from your system if there are any virtues.

Looks like a totally random choice on your part for no reason whatsoever. Even if I granted that marriage is about commitment, the fundamental definitional problem remains - many things are "about commitment" but it doesn't make them marriage. Some people are totally committed to their job, it doesn't make their relationship to job a marriage. And we could say everybody is committed to their addictions, computer games, drugs, etc. but these are not marriage.

So, you are not making any progress from the definitional point of view.

Okay. And how does this sandwich argument get you same-sex marriage? And I mean specifically same-sex marriage, not a sandwich, picking your nose, or Nazi propaganda.
It would save you from making claims like that gay marriage isn't natural.
So, now you think it suffices you to say that gay marriage (and sandwich and picking your own nose and Nazi propaganda) is natural. Another undefined term. You are not improving things.

Look at your own "argument" again: "Same-sex marriage significantly improves quality of life for some people without harming anyone." How is this an argument for same-sex marriage specifically, and not for e.g. Nazi propaganda?
It's not an argument for same-sex marriage specifically. That's the whole point. That notwithstanding, your Nazi propaganda example is even more ludicrous than your earlier pedophilia one. Unless, of course, you presuppose a counter-factual world where Nazi propaganda doesn't almost invariably lead to discrimination and violence. I don't know what's so hard about this to understand.
Which part of the word definition is so hard to understand? If you are not specifically making a case for gay marriage, then we have no case for gay marriage. Which means your alleged argument for gay marriage is not an argument for gay marriage, now by your own admission. You have been just emitting hot air and wasting digital space.

The reason why definition is important is that you could specifically make a case for gay marriage, both for the gay part and marriage part. But for now all you get is sandwich, picking your own nose, and Nazi propaganda. Because when your approach is as vague and undefined as it is, then anything goes, and for proof I can anytime point to your approach to bestiality and incest. Nevermind, you have by now basically conceded that picking your own nose is marriage, just as long as you stay committed to it.

Eating a grossdeliciously greasy hamburger every day might increase well-being in the short term, but in ten years when you're obese you'll regret it. And even though I meant this as an example of conflicting desires (i.e., the desire to be healthy and the desire to eat hamburgers), it also works as an analogy for Nazi propaganda. After all, in the short term it is at least conceivable that it would increase overall well-being as you asserted. It's only once the propaganda starts to take effect that the severely negative consequences will begin being felt.
And this gives us reason to support gay marriage how? Because there's "well-being" in it? Hedonism is the ideal? If yes, why have you not named it yet, so we can get on to counter-arguments to hedonism (for example, that it promotes lack of commitment, the exact opposite to what it takes to have marriage as per your claims)? If no, then you are not clarifying anything.

With personal satisfaction anyone can justify anything. An important aspect of moral theories is precisely to prevent people from going down the exclusively selfish path.
It might be able to justify more than you like, but it certainly wouldn't be able to justify everything. Just think of the famous ESS (evolutionary stable strategy) where both grudgers and cheaters can be evolutionarily stable even though a particular stable ESS may have virtually zero chance of occurring naturally. I can't immediately think of a moral equivalent, except in the sense that the example itself seems to have a moral component. Assuming cheaters have a desire to cheat, it may well be moral to cheat in a population of cheaters provided they also have a desire for being properly cheated. It might be immoral in this society to cheat in an unsophisticated manner, for example. I shoot myself in the foot by using something normally condemnable as an example, but when you get right down to it I'm sure we'd have an equally hard time leaving our preconceptions at the door when you talk about Sisyphus finding purpose in his boulder (like in Camus).
You mean the model Dawkins describes in Selfish Gene? What's moral in it when cheaters win? the funny thing is that it's not moral even when grudgers win. Whichever wins, neither gives us human sense of morality as we know it. So, the reason to take this seriously as a moral argument, or at least as a way in which morality could have evolutionarily evolved, is........?

Edit: By the way, bringing up any evolutionary model is a massive shot in the foot on your part insofar as same-sex marriage is concerned, because evolutionary models are all about reproductive advantage, whereas there's no reproductive advantage in same-sex marriage. Homosexual (and other non-reproductive sexual) behaviour begins to fit an evolutionary model at the point when the ecosystem is overpopulated and thus reproduction ceases to be a concern. However, in human social and moral terms, this does not make a case for same-sex marriage. In human social and moral terms, overpopulation signifies the point when marriage loses purpose, and so same-sex marriage remains the definitional oxymoron it always was.

In human social and moral terms, these developments signify the point where evolution of the society stops and decay begins. If you think the threshold to decadence justifies same-sex marriage, then sorry, exact same circumstances justify all non-reproductive sexual behaviour, including pedophilia, and if you think it justifies restriction of population by abortion and condoms, then similarly it justifies cannibalism. Throughout, your call to not harm others remains ungrounded. /edit

The point with rechtsstaat is not that there's no violence, but that there's retribution for unjust violence. Agree?
And that's one of the last-resort tools we have for molding desires, but the basic tools are praise and condemnation. This remains true no matter what you think metaphysically or meta-ethically.
No, it's not the last resort. It's the guiding principle. If it were not the guiding principle, there would be no reason to call it rechtsstaat.

Let me remind you that I easily and thoroughly refuted your description how rechtsstaat operates. Since this is true, along with other points, such as the fact that you have not provided a single definition of any of the relevant terms, everything you say is suspect. You are facing the task of proving that you think at all, morally, epistemologically, metaphysically, metaethically. And the relevance of your ESS model also remains to be separately proven. It's your job to show whether there's anything moral in it and how you derive gay marriage from there.

Reply #227
Yes, you said that my morality was effectively fictional - without showing how. Which part of it is fictional? Which part of it has no basis in epistemology? Whereas your own naturalist perspective emphasising "desires" is neither naturalist (in naturalism, there are only physical things, and desires are not physical), epistemological or moral (you are not getting right and wrong from there and you have not shown reasons to promote this or that thing). Which makes all you have said about these things a giant red herring.
That's simply a statement about our beliefs regarding the nature of reality. Everything you say about God and morality is, crudely put, "fictional" from an naturalist perspective. It's also completely irrelevant to the discussion, but you brought it up. Mea culpa for responding to your red herring. :P

in naturalism, there are only physical things, and desires are not physical
And this gives us reason to support gay marriage how? Because there's "well-being" in it? Hedonism is the ideal? If yes, why have you not named it yet, so we can get on to counter-arguments to hedonism (for example, that it promotes lack of commitment, the exact opposite to what it takes to have marriage as per your claims)? If no, then you are not clarifying anything.
If desires aren't physical then they aren't real, and if they aren't real then my theory of morality has no firm epistemological basis in reality. This is most definitely a valid objection. Naturally, however, I believe that desires (or "wanting") have a neuroscientific, physical basis. Wanting is distinct from pleasure (or "liking"). More concretely, if I lacked a desire for pleasure, then pleasure would be meaningless. Wanting is what causes me to act and decide. By taking desires as my basis, I mean to avoid the charge that utilitarianism or hedonism take an arbitrary property and call it important. In brief, wanting is the only reason which we have for acting that is epistemologically grounded in reality.

Pragmatically, of course this has a lot of overlap with something along the lines of Epicurean/hedonistic utilitarianism as long as we're talking about human society. Epicurus also used the equivalent to my hamburger example from earlier, just like Buddhists do. Short term indulgence (popularly, and I would argue incorrectly, known as hedonism) leads to long-term dissatisfaction. Committing to something like marriage, which leads to long-term mental as well as physical health, satisfaction, and well-being, is indeed hedonistic in nature.
So, now you think it suffices you to say that gay marriage (and sandwich and picking your own nose and Nazi propaganda) is natural. Another undefined term. You are not improving things.
Again, you're the one who brought this up. It plays no part in any of my reasoning. Homosexuality occurs all over nature at large, and even if it didn't, their very existence within humanity makes them natural. If you're using the word in a way disconnected from how people normally use it, that's on you. Defining terms is necessary only if you wish to use them in deviant or (domain) specific ways, such as when I used the word hedonism above, otherwise it's just white noise.

Which part of the word definition is so hard to understand? If you are not specifically making a case for gay marriage, then we have no case for gay marriage. Which means your alleged argument for gay marriage is not an argument for gay marriage, now by your own admission. You have been just emitting hot air and wasting digital space.
The specifics are obviously in how it improves lives and doesn't do harm, such as how societies with gay marriage have objectively higher well-being than those without.

Nevermind, you have by now basically conceded that picking your own nose is marriage, just as long as you stay committed to it.
Keep dreamin'.

You mean the model Dawkins describes in Selfish Gene? What's moral in it when cheaters win? the funny thing is that it's not moral even when grudgers win. Whichever wins, neither gives us human sense of morality as we know it. So, the reason to take this seriously as a moral argument, or at least as a way in which morality could have evolutionarily evolved, is........?
The reason to take your pedophilia, your nose picking, your Nazis seriously is…? :)

Edit: By the way, bringing up any evolutionary model is a massive shot in the foot on your part insofar as same-sex marriage is concerned, because evolutionary models are all about reproductive advantage, whereas there's no reproductive advantage in same-sex marriage.
You already know my argument is that what you called worker bees (or was it ants?) offer a reproductive advantage to their related genes.

In human social and moral terms, overpopulation signifies the point when marriage loses purpose, and so same-sex marriage remains the definitional oxymoron it always was.
I don't much care what it's called. Sure, a prototypical marriage includes (biological) children, and in that sense gay marriage without adopted children is a bit like a dry river, in much the same way as my own river isn't yet in danger of flooding the surrounding landscape. I admit that in my younger days I voted against the European constitution because it obviously wasn't a constitution. Some people are unhappy that effectively the same thing was later passed as a constitutional agreement, but when you get down to it that name change took care of my primary objections. Because a constitution should be unequivocal about its intentions, and an agreement can say something weaker like that the EU will try to promote human rights in its member states. You might argue that I'm overcompensating for my brusqueness of youth, that I'm a product of our post-modernist society, and who knows, there might even be something to that. But no matter what word you use to refer to them, the crux of my argument is that gay committed relationships are morally good. Your argument is similarly that they're bad no matter what you call them.

No, it's not the last resort. It's the guiding principle. If it were not the guiding principle, there would be no reason to call it rechtsstaat.
The guiding principle of our society is not that most people are psychopaths whose only reason to refrain from doing violence is fear of punishment.

You are facing the task of proving that you think at all, morally, epistemologically, metaphysically, metaethically. And the relevance of your ESS model also remains to be separately proven. It's your job to show whether there's anything moral in it and how you derive gay marriage from there.
I presented the ESS model as an example of how different equilibria are theoretically possible. Besides that, as I already indicated, we're at an impasse because from my perspective you face the exact same problem. Your morality, metaphysics and metaethics have no epistemological ground, because you don't care about how you know things. You just make things up out of @midnight raccoon's ivory tower. Such is the basic conflict between empiricism and idealism.

Reply #228
The world is getting apart and they discuss about homosexuals...  :faint:
I wonder what historians and anthropologists 500 years in the future would say about these times.
So I let a message for the future historians - no, it was not my fault.

Blame Belfrager has a nice ring to it. All together now: WHO DO WE BLAME? BELFRAGER!!! WHEN DO WE BLAME HIM? FROM NOW AND FOR THE NEXT FIVE CENTURIES!

I guess our ability to obsess about minor details is a characteristic of our species. Trans-people needing to use the toilet in US Midwestern shopping malls or gay marriage are not among the biggest issues our species is facing (ersi might disagree), but at least it keeps this forum going, and the carping on the awfulness of America was running low on steam.

Reply #229
You are facing the task of proving that you think at all, morally, epistemologically, metaphysically, metaethically.
Of course, compared to a "real" philosopher — someone who has dedicated their life to thinking about such broader matters under peer review from other professional thinkers — I am out of my depth, because I only do so in my spare time. A proper philosophical defense of my mode of thinking can generally be found in writings by Richard Carrier, such as here: http://richardcarrier.blogspot.be/2011/03/moral-ontology.html I haven't really been influenced by him in the development of my ideas because I only discovered his writing a couple of years ago, but by and large when I read his arguments I can gladly say that's how I might've expressed it, and insofar as philosophical rigorousness goes how I would express it if I had but world enough and time, so referring to him is usually a safe bet. Specifically look at the header "value realism" and beyond. A few quotations:

Before proceeding to the punchline I have to pause to say what I'm even talking about. Moral facts consist of imperatives, and imperatives are statements about what we "ought" to do (or who or what sort of person we ought to be). What does "ought" mean? That which we would do if we were reasoning logically and knew and understood all the relevant facts of our situation.

For example, "you ought to change the oil in your car" means "if you knew your car was running low on oil, and you don’t want your car’s engine to seize up, then you would change the oil in your car (as long as you were able to without harm)." If you want your car's engine to seize up, then "you ought to change the oil in your car" is false. But if you don't want that, then "you ought to change the oil in your car" would be objectively true, i.e. it would be true even if you believed it was false. Your opinion of the matter, what you liked or thought, would be irrelevant to its being true. In that case if you said it was false you would simply be mistaken about what you ought to do.

Moral facts are thus facts about the behavior of physical systems, in particular social and neurological systems. Since these and other facts are objective facts of the world (and thus not just opinions), our moral emotions and intuitions can be in error. We can feel guilty for something that wasn't in fact wrong, or feel righteous for doing what is actually vile. Moral facts are thus not opinions. Moral facts are facts about what is and what we want, regardless of what we believe those are. The morality of an act is therefore a property of a physical system: it refers to the physical relations among the components of that system, including (a) the things you want most in the world, which desires are physical structures in your brain, (b) the way the world works generally (such as the way technologies and economies and societies and brains work), and (c) the actual physical circumstances you find yourself in (the "moral context" of a given decision).

Why is it wrong to rape a woman?

Because it hurts a woman.

Why is it wrong to hurt a woman?

Because it's uncompassionate.

Why is it wrong to be uncompassionate?

Because by being an uncompassionate person, your life will suck, more than it would suck if you were a compassionate person. And it is irrational to choose what will make your life suck more, than what you could have chosen instead.

NB None of this directly is about what particular moral facts are, but only deals with the ontological foundation of how morality physically exists.

Reply #230
Moral facts consist of imperatives, and imperatives are statements about what we "ought" to do (or who or what sort of person we ought to be). What does "ought" mean? That which we would do if we were reasoning logically and knew and understood all the relevant facts of our situation.
Ought we not mention the history of Western man because 'oughts' vary over time, and there's the fact that oughts differ by region.

What were Viking oughts? Classical Chinese oughts? And, yes, even Portuguese oughts. :o

Reply #231
That's simply a statement about our beliefs regarding the nature of reality. Everything you say about God and morality is, crudely put, "fictional" from an naturalist perspective. It's also completely irrelevant to the discussion, but you brought it up. Mea culpa for responding to your red herring. :P
But we tried your so-called naturalism which had nothing natural or physical in it. That was short, because there nothing else in it either. Particularly nothing topical.

If desires aren't physical then they aren't real, and if they aren't real then my theory of morality has no firm epistemological basis in reality. This is most definitely a valid objection. Naturally, however, I believe that desires (or "wanting") have a neuroscientific, physical basis. Wanting is distinct from pleasure (or "liking"). More concretely, if I lacked a desire for pleasure, then pleasure would be meaningless. Wanting is what causes me to act and decide. By taking desires as my basis, I mean to avoid the charge that utilitarianism or hedonism take an arbitrary property and call it important. In brief, wanting is the only reason which we have for acting that is epistemologically grounded in reality.
False conclusion. Because you are completely off track with your belief that desires have a neuroscientific basis. But keep the faith. Neuroscientists get closer to the physical basis of mental operations day by day, so they say.

You see, people have been living im/morally and known about it since forever, without any help from neuroscientists. So, may I gently suggest that morality and neuroscience probably have no logical connection. Morality has been competently discussed without any neuroscientism for millennia. As a minimum, as long as neuroscientists are busy discovering what they urgently need to discover to prove you right, please find a meaningful way to communicate moral matters to fellow humans.

Epicurus also used the equivalent to my hamburger example from earlier, just like Buddhists do. Short term indulgence (popularly, and I would argue incorrectly, known as hedonism) leads to long-term dissatisfaction.
So, morality is long-term satisfaction. As in: Don't kill your wife in immediate anger. Bide your time and make it perfect. Make it so that nobody finds out. It will be much better that way...

I know Buddhism. That's not in there. It is in hedonism though, provided that your wife is not stronger and smarter than you, and earning better than you so that killing her would stop the flow of money you depend on.

Committing to something like marriage, which leads to long-term mental as well as physical health, satisfaction, and well-being, is indeed hedonistic in nature.
Most marriages wind down in a few years and the relationship turns into suffering for both. The reason to keep the commitment is.....? Given hedonism, none.

Homosexuality occurs all over nature at large, and even if it didn't, their very existence within humanity makes them natural.
Cannibalists exists. By your own words, their very existence within humanity ( <-another term you will have to define) makes them natural. Disagree? Then reword what you say. More properly: Think first, then speak.

If you're using the word in a way disconnected from how people normally use it, that's on you. Defining terms is necessary only if you wish to use them in deviant or (domain) specific ways, such as when I used the word hedonism above, otherwise it's just white noise.
Ditto. Because your speech is disconnected both from reality and from itself, i.e. self-contradictory. Hardly any statement has a logical connection to another. There is no logical foundation and no rational conclusion.

The specifics are obviously in how it improves lives and doesn't do harm, such as how societies with gay marriage have objectively higher well-being than those without.
What's the objective measure? GDP per capita? Then what is Qatar doing there between Norway and Switzerland? Or is it the Gross National Happiness, invented by Bhutan? And I hear that Brazil decriminalised homosexuality in 1830 and look where they are now...

The reason to take your pedophilia, your nose picking, your Nazis seriously is…? :)
The reason is that you have not shown a reason to keep them away. By your own words "It might be able to justify more than you like..." You are constantly justifying more than you'd like, so you constantly need to rein your system in and keep looking for additional conditions to keep unpleasant things out. Even so, you have already admitted bestiality and incest, and that picking your nose with sufficient commitment equals marriage. Not that you would regret these things, of course, because there's no shame or conscience in your system anyway.

You already know my argument is that what you called worker bees (or was it ants?) offer a reproductive advantage to their related genes.
And you know that this analogy gets you crucified by LGBT ideologists. And hailed by Nazis who think only good pure Arian genes should reproduce, while the labour camp rubble should labour.

What should I say about this analogy? I'll let you have it and wish you good luck enjoying the consequences of your own reasoning. As a sidenote, let's note that worker bees (and ants) don't have marriage. It's something that doesn't belong to them by virtue of their social (and biological) status.

In human social and moral terms, overpopulation signifies the point when marriage loses purpose, and so same-sex marriage remains the definitional oxymoron it always was.
I don't much care what it's called. Sure, a prototypical marriage includes (biological) children, and in that sense gay marriage without adopted children is a bit like a dry river, in much the same way as my own river isn't yet in danger of flooding the surrounding landscape. I admit that in my younger days I voted against the European constitution because it obviously wasn't a constitution.
I guess this is as close as you'll come to admit that same-sex marriage is not really marriage. Thank you very much!

The guiding principle of our society is not that most people are psychopaths whose only reason to refrain from doing violence is fear of punishment.
But there are also some non-psychopaths who don't have violent (or otherwise immoral) impulses to struggle with and so have nothing to fear in a rechtsstaat. Insofar as it is a rechtsstaat.

Your morality, metaphysics and metaethics have no epistemological ground, because you don't care about how you know things. You just make things up out of @midnight raccoon's ivory tower. Such is the basic conflict between empiricism and idealism.
First, I care a lot how I know things and how I justify them. I never justify anything with beliefs or assumptions, only with facts and logical proofs. It's a different topic, so not too much to say about it.

Second, empiricism would be an epistemological position, but you have not yet shown an epistemological position. You have revealed a moral position (hedonism) and a metaphysical position (atomism, materialism, physicalism, misleadingly called naturalism these days). These two tend to go hand in hand and tend to be associated with empiricism, but the latter connection is unjustified in the modern world. Namely, the connection assumes that feelings are neurological and that thinking is brain activity, but no such connection has been empirically proven in neuroscience. Neuroscience operates from these presuppositions and tries to prove them, but hasn't, so there's no empirical basis to it. If there were, you would be an empiricist, but there isn't, so it's a bit too much to call you an empiricist. In the light of modern neuroscience, those who call themselves empiricists are simply operating from baseless assumptions (such as *belief* that desires have a physical basis), having dropped the rational framework too early, without a reason.

You are facing the task of proving that you think at all, morally, epistemologically, metaphysically, metaethically.
Of course, compared to a "real" philosopher — someone who has dedicated their life to thinking about such broader matters under peer review from other professional thinkers — I am out of my depth, because I only do so in my spare time. A proper philosophical defense of my mode of thinking can generally be found in writings by Richard Carrier, such as here: http://richardcarrier.blogspot.be/2011/03/moral-ontology.html I haven't really been influenced by him in the development of my ideas because I only discovered his writing a couple of years ago, but by and large when I read his arguments I can gladly say that's how I might've expressed it, and insofar as philosophical rigorousness goes how I would express it if I had but world enough and time, so referring to him is usually a safe bet. Specifically look at the header "value realism" and beyond. A few quotations:

Before proceeding to the punchline I have to pause to say what I'm even talking about. Moral facts consist of imperatives, and imperatives are statements about what we "ought" to do (or who or what sort of person we ought to be). What does "ought" mean? That which we would do if we were reasoning logically and knew and understood all the relevant facts of our situation.

For example, "you ought to change the oil in your car" means "if you knew your car was running low on oil, and you don’t want your car’s engine to seize up, then you would change the oil in your car (as long as you were able to without harm)." If you want your car's engine to seize up, then "you ought to change the oil in your car" is false. But if you don't want that, then "you ought to change the oil in your car" would be objectively true, i.e. it would be true even if you believed it was false. Your opinion of the matter, what you liked or thought, would be irrelevant to its being true. In that case if you said it was false you would simply be mistaken about what you ought to do.
How is this a moral fact? Let's add some more random real-life fluff around the story. The owner of the car is a filthy rich playboy, with totally other interests in his life. If the car stops working, he buys a new car - the same rationale as with his girlfriends. Why "ought" he worry about oil in his car? On Carrier's system, he has no reason to.

Why is it wrong to rape a woman?

Because it hurts a woman.

Why is it wrong to hurt a woman?

Because it's uncompassionate.

Why is it wrong to be uncompassionate?

Because by being an uncompassionate person, your life will suck, more than it would suck if you were a compassionate person. And it is irrational to choose what will make your life suck more, than what you could have chosen instead.

NB None of this directly is about what particular moral facts are, but only deals with the ontological foundation of how morality physically exists.
Wow, this refuted itself pretty fast. All that talk about empirical/physical basis, and already at the second question he must bring in compassion which has not been identified physically and thus is not physical or empirical. So, obviously, even physicalists need a non-physical basis to justify morality. Otherwise there's no morality. QED.

In this forum, I have refuted Krauss, Harris, and the teapot anecdote (I owe a few insights to Russell and I respect him, but the teapot thingie deserves a decisive rejection). It's a thankless job to do these things out of my own initiative. I will refute Richard Carrier more thoroughly only if he shows up here in person.

Reply #232
Most marriages wind down in a few years and the relationship turns into suffering for both. The reason to keep the commitment is.....? Given hedonism, none.
Sounds about right. Where's the problem?

Cannibalists exists. By your own words, their very existence within humanity ( <-another term you will have to define) makes them natural. Disagree? Then reword what you say. More properly: Think first, then speak.
Of course cannibalism is natural. That's exactly why something being natural isn't necessarily a particularly relevant thing to note. Humanity is a term that needs to be defined? Come on, that's beyond silly.

And you know that this analogy gets you crucified by LGBT ideologists. And hailed by Nazis who think only good pure Arian genes should reproduce, while the labour camp rubble should labour.
Why should I care about some ad hominem? Either it's accurate or it isn't. That's completely unrelated to whether anyone likes it. I like lots of thing that aren't true and I dislike many things that are. Only the reality-challenged think that is something to celebrate rather than to watch out for.

Reply #233
Sounds about right. Where's the problem?
The problem is that the call to commitment proves empty at that point.

Of course cannibalism is natural. That's exactly why something being natural isn't necessarily a particularly relevant thing to note.
Which raises the question why you noted that homosexuality is natural. Let's suppose that homosexuality and cannibalism are natural. So what? Where's the point that is supposed to follow from this? Both are natural, but it's somehow trivially self-evident that homosexuality is morally justified while cannibalism is not? Does "do not harm others" somehow stop cannibalism? Maybe it would, if it didn't prove equally empty as the call to commitment...

Why should I care about some ad hominem? Either it's accurate or it isn't. That's completely unrelated to whether anyone likes it. I like lots of thing that aren't true and I dislike many things that are. Only the reality-challenged think that is something to celebrate rather than to watch out for.
Try to survive LGBT(Q etc.) gestapo interrogation with these justifications. It's beyond my power.

I have a hard time deciding which is worse: self-refutation or circular reasoning.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh7l8dx-h8M[/video]

Reply #234
The problem is that the call to commitment proves empty at that point.
Commitment isn't good all by itself. That's why you dragged in silly things like committing to drugs, but some marriages are indeed destructive like drugs. That being said, it's certainly possible that many of those were stupid for getting married in the first place. This is something you sometimes see in religious circles, where people often get married more out of lust than anything else.

Which raises the question why you noted that homosexuality is natural. Let's suppose that homosexuality and cannibalism are natural. So what? Where's the point that is supposed to follow from this? Both are natural, but it's somehow trivially self-evident that homosexuality is morally justified while cannibalism is not?
No… we've been over this. You're the one who brought it up. :)
People often get caught up in you're wrong, and even if you were right you'd still be wrong. This is one of those cases. @midnight raccoon's argument is simply that there's nothing inherently good or bad about the fact that an act is natural, but even if there were, being gay is natural.

Try to survive LGBT(Q etc.) gestapo interrogation with these justifications. It's beyond my power.
Even ignoramuses need nothing but Wikipedia for a quick primer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kin_selection

Reply #235
When discussing concepts like "kin selection" (…or even "natural selection") one needs to recur to the obvious: Evolution is a mindless, purposeless mechanism. Which obviates most if not all arguments of its proponents…
But they can't help themselves: Mindlessness is difficult to achieve! (Not impossible — stupidity often comes quite close.)

Rationality is first rejected; then sought by every means possible!
What would be an evolutionist's point, "explaining" a mindless process?

Oh! Teacher, I know: Prediction! (How's that working out? :) )
进行 ...

Reply #236
Commitment isn't good all by itself.
Then why did you mention it? The point is that you mentioned it, but insincerely, self-refutingly. When you said that in marriage the couple should be committed, you really meant "committed as long as they feel like it". And as soon as they stop feeling like it? In the normal world, when someone's mood shifts trump commitment, that's called lack of commitment.

That's why you dragged in silly things like committing to drugs, but some marriages are indeed destructive like drugs. That being said, it's certainly possible that many of those were stupid for getting married in the first place.
Right. All this went to prove that when you said "commitment" you had really no idea what you were saying. It was yet another word that needed a definition, and it quickly turned out that the way you meant it was opposite to what it really means.

This is something you sometimes see in religious circles, where people often get married more out of lust than anything else.
Or in gay circles, where people get married in order to be a hip gay couple, but when that ceases being hip, they just continue being gay grasshoppers, because being gay matters more than anything else. But if they stop feeling gay, God forbid...

Even ignoramuses need nothing but Wikipedia for a quick primer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kin_selection
Remember what you said, very recently, "Either it's accurate or it isn't. That's completely unrelated to whether anyone likes it. I like lots of thing that aren't true and I dislike many things that are. Only the reality-challenged think that is something to celebrate rather than to watch out for."

If I'm reading right, then in your own queer way you are here raising truth and realism up as a higher value over and above whether anyone likes it. This is how it should be for any principled thinker (when it isn't, we are not dealing with a principled thinker). The problem is that when you stay committed to this principle ("committed" in the normal sense, committed to truth regardless if you like it or not, or whether anyone else likes it or not, and you honestly face the consequences of your own thinking against other people's opposing opinion), then in LGBT ideology, the verdict is crucifixion. In LGBT ideology, feelings are everything (precisely in the way you talked about commitment in marriage earlier) and they trump truth and realism. In LGBT ideology, when someone feels offended, then that means you are wrong and you must apologise. You broke the principle on which they operate. They reject your advocacy.

You would not survive the LGBT(Q etc.) gestapo interrogation. Just saying.

It's been such a bad week for you. You even lost to Wales. Hopefully, it cannot get any worse than this.

Reply #237
People often get caught up in you're wrong, and even if you were right you'd still be wrong. This is one of those cases. @midnight raccoon's argument is simply that there's nothing inherently good or bad about the fact that an act is natural, but even if there were, being gay is natural.
This one is hard to respond to, because it's hard to see in what way you mean it as a response to anything. It makes no sense whatsoever. Let's try anyway.

In the original context, you probably thought, "Oakdale should not bring up cannibals, because we already said that humans should not hurt each other. But cannibals hurt each other, so he is doing a non sequitur."

If you presupposed this before typing, there's a problem, the same problem as with your usage of "commitment". Namely, your "don't hurt" is the "don't hurt" of a whino. As long as the whino is being bullied, he says "don't hurt" and he feels it would be nice if "don't hurt" were the guiding principle of humanity. However, as soon as the whino is himself in the position of bullying, he does it without hesitation and sees no contradiction with his earlier feelings. Feelings then, feelings now, no contradiction. This is how things are for those who are guided by nothing else but feelings. This problem of self-refuting inconsistency is glaringly transparent to anyone who is not wedded to your side, but apparently it's not glaringly transparent to yourself.

If you meant it some other way (assuming you meant anything at all), let's hear.

Reply #238
Homosexual (and other non-reproductive sexual) behaviour begins to fit an evolutionary model at the point when the ecosystem is overpopulated and thus reproduction ceases to be a concern. However, in human social and moral terms, this does not make a case for same-sex marriage. In human social and moral terms, overpopulation signifies the point when marriage loses purpose, and so same-sex marriage remains the definitional oxymoron it always was.
I've a different point on this. At overpopulated systems, marriage doesn't lose purpose or function.

I need to recapitulate marriage's function, being the social institution that represent society's structure, what turns two people into the constitutive element, the basis cell, of an organic society that, as a living organism needs to reproduce and grow.

But human societies aren't just organic/biological they also have common shared moral, cultural and historical values that must be considered, at every moment and particularly the difficult ones, always in a deep constitutive symbiosis between it's parts.

(As such, logically that homosexual marriage can only be regarded as cancerous cells that, by way of spreading, would inevitably destroy the organic body of society.)

Overpopulation resumes to a stressful disequilibrium between resources and population.
It can't be solved by stopping society's cells regeneration, assured by marriage, but by acting on the other factors like producing more resources, emigration or less consumption, always while strengthen society's moral and cultural values.

Specially at difficult moments, marriage continues to be the very basis that grants a future for human societies to be at a higher level than just being a bunch of ape like tribes occupied assuring immediate needs and sexual appetites.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #239
Homosexual (and other non-reproductive sexual) behaviour begins to fit an evolutionary model at the point when the ecosystem is overpopulated and thus reproduction ceases to be a concern. However, in human social and moral terms, this does not make a case for same-sex marriage. In human social and moral terms, overpopulation signifies the point when marriage loses purpose, and so same-sex marriage remains the definitional oxymoron it always was.
I've a different point on this. At overpopulated systems, marriage doesn't lose purpose or function.
Your point of view is of humanity as a holistic organism, where marriage is a function that may at hard times appear to malfunction, but it's always a necessary function, necessary not only for proliferation, but also for preservation. This is not a different view from mine. We have the exact same view.

What I wrote in that earlier post was not my view. It was the view of the evolutionary theorists. It's an ordinary tactic in discussions to adopt a contrary view, lead it to its logical conclusion and thus, if the conclusion is to be rejected, demonstrate that the whole view needs an overhaul, if it is to remain defensible.

Maybe I'm doing it so fast that people don't always notice. Maybe I'm not always marking it apart clearly enough. It's certainly true that not everything in contrary views is obviously and immediately condemnable, so it may appear as if I accept some of it. I don't. I only entertain it for the sake of argumentation. Edit: I'd probably make a good Jesuit, but there are good reasons not to be a Jesuit.

Reply #240
Then why did you mention it? The point is that you mentioned it, but insincerely, self-refutingly. When you said that in marriage the couple should be committed, you really meant "committed as long as they feel like it". And as soon as they stop feeling like it? In the normal world, when someone's mood shifts trump commitment, that's called lack of commitment.
At this point you're basically just trolling, so I'll ignore it without responding either seriously or in kind. :cheers:

In the original context, you probably thought, "Oakdale should not bring up cannibals, because we already said that humans should not hurt each other. But cannibals hurt each other, so he is doing a non sequitur."
I thought exactly what I said. Oakdale saw midnight's post and replied in a completely relevant manner. Except that in the broader context midnight's post was part of an irrelevant subargument and the problem Oakdale pointed out was actually part of your argument, not midnight's.

If I'm reading right, then in your own queer way you are here raising truth and realism up as a higher value over and above whether anyone likes it. This is how it should be for any principled thinker (when it isn't, we are not dealing with a principled thinker).
That's correct. Epistemic recklessness and negligence are moral crimes. If someone knows the truth and they ignore it because they don't like it they are reckless, while if someone doesn't ascertain the truth because they already like an idea they are negligent.

The problem is that when you stay committed to this principle ("committed" in the normal sense, committed to truth regardless if you like it or not, or whether anyone else likes it or not, and you honestly face the consequences of your own thinking against other people's opposing opinion), then in LGBT ideology, the verdict is crucifixion. In LGBT ideology, feelings are everything (precisely in the way you talked about commitment in marriage earlier) and they trump truth and realism. In LGBT ideology, when someone feels offended, then that means you are wrong and you must apologise. You broke the principle on which they operate. They reject your advocacy.
Do you have anything specific in mind? I mean, I'm sure there are LGBT fanatics just like there are fanatics in any other group, but I haven't actually come across any yet. I suppose I should add that I don't go looking either since other fanatics who serve themselves on a platter are more than enough. ;)

Reply #241
Epistemic recklessness and negligence are moral crimes. If someone knows the truth and they ignore it because they don't like it they are reckless, while if someone doesn't ascertain the truth because they already like an idea they are negligent.
We happen to have the same view on this point. Truth is, among other things, a moral category, a virtue to be aspired to. This is certainly a beneficial commonality, if you stay committed to it (in the normal sense).

Do you have anything specific in mind? I mean, I'm sure there are LGBT fanatics just like there are fanatics in any other group, but I haven't actually come across any yet. I suppose I should add that I don't go looking either since other fanatics who serve themselves on a platter are more than enough. ;)
A specific example of LGBT ideologists? This organisation http://www.rfsl.se/ I haven't browsed their website, but I know all about their activity from the news. I have linked to examples occasionally earlier.

Reply #242
I'd probably make a good Jesuit, but there are good reasons not to be a Jesuit.
:lol:
Jesuits rely on brilliant people to work with them, that's their strength. They will respect you and give you freedom, you'll act the same way.
Religious vocations are rare these days, they need to employ "civilians".
A matter of attitude.

Reply #243
In LGBT ideology, when someone feels offended, then that means you are wrong and you must apologise. You broke the principle on which they operate. They reject your advocacy.
As if you know anything about LGBT "ideology" and even as if a single one even exists. Of course, your argument is basically one of political correctness. Just because something falls into the broad category of "politically incorrect" , it doesn't mean that it's factually correct. Many of these said against LGBT, even in this debate, are factually incorrect. When I check the other side's websites, I often see "The gays want this...." No, maybe A gay wants that while the broader LGBT community rejects it.

“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #244
In LGBT ideology, when someone feels offended, then that means you are wrong and you must apologise. You broke the principle on which they operate. They reject your advocacy.
As if you know anything about LGBT "ideology" and even as if a single one even exists.
The stakes are clear. You have had nothing substantial to contribute to the discussion besides toilets. Whereas I have watched the development of LGBT agenda in Swedish news throughout this century. They have the organisation I pointed out to Frenzie which is more influential than the church. They teach "family models" to kindergarten children and they depose dissenting church politicians (ordinary dissenting politicians go without saying), and they issue "LGBTQ certificates" to every institution in the country which are already considered a normalcy, close to a requirement. Such is their power.

Edit. A current tidbit: The leader of the Christian Democrat party[1] has announced she would participate at Stockholm gay pride this summer. The rest of the leadership of the party realises there's a conflict between Christian Democrat family values and "family models" as propagated by RFSL, and are struggling to formulate their stance on this point. Principled rhetoric (e.g. the way I formulate these issues) is ruled out, so they are not succeeding. /edit

Moreover, gay laws have been introduced meanwhile in Estonia and Finland. The debates are in fresh memory. You'd do well to update yourself if you want to stay relevant in the discussion.

Edit. This year, this forum has seen no arguments for same-sex marriage. Frenzie thought raccoon presented one, but raccoon never claimed to have presented one. Raccoon keeps just asserting things without logical connection and denouncing imaginary opposing views that are not represented here. Then Frenzie issued a statement that he claimed to be an argument for same-sex marriage, but honorably acknowledged soon that it was not really such.

As I have said before - the pro-gay side has no rational argument on their side, but they have won the lobbying. A bad century for pro-gay arguments, a bad century for family values and for politics in general. Dismal. /edit
This is not the equivalent of Christian Conservatives on the other side of the pond. Such don't even exist in Sweden (not detectable in the media anyways). Rather, Christian Democrats in Sweden are originally a bunch of Christian liberals, nowadays a shrinking group of politicians struggling hard to stay relevant with their apparently one-point agenda - family policies, focally children's rights these days.

Reply #245
and they issue "LGBTQ certificates" to every institution in the country which are already considered a normalcy, close to a requirement. Such is their power.
Are dear. such "Gestapo tactics".....'Here's you piece of paper. Have a nice day' :P
and they depose dissenting church politicians (ordinary dissenting politicians go without saying)
As if the anti-gay forces here don't try the opposite. Such is politics. A official has a position you opposite, so you support the candidate with an agreeable position to yours. This hardly unique to LGBT.

As far as my contributions go, I was content just to watch you and Belfrager dig your own graves with the moronic conspiracy theory arguments. To use another analogy, give the enough rope to hang yourselves. It didn't occur to you that I only needed enough effort to egg you on, did it? Further, I did not say that I didn't have an argument for same-sex marriage. I have many, including the "taming of homosexuality" one that offered previously. I said homosexuality is neither good or evil. It just is.

the pro-gay side has no rational argument on their side, but they have won the lobbying.
But why did they win? Because they approached the subject from a legal/constitutional perspective, the only one that's relevant in courts. Meanwhile, your side spouted of your pseudo-philosophical bullshit and made further jackasses of themselves by claiming equal marriage was somehow infringing on their freedom of religion.
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #246
and they issue "LGBTQ certificates" to every institution in the country which are already considered a normalcy, close to a requirement. Such is their power.
Are dear. such "Gestapo tactics".....'Here's you piece of paper. Have a nice day' :P
There are institutions that certify other institutions and businesses. Some such certifiers do it more or less for fun, without much pretension to relevance, while others are authoritative. RFSL is aspiring to become an official authority, so that institutions and businesses without their certificate will have a lesser degree of legitimacy. Their certificates already have this reputation, and the reputation is on the rise.

and they depose dissenting church politicians (ordinary dissenting politicians go without saying)
As if the anti-gay forces here don't try the opposite. Such is politics. A official has a position you opposite, so you support the candidate with an agreeable position to yours. This hardly unique to LGBT.
You don't understand what is happening. I'm not talking about candidates. I'm talking about an official functionary at a position, already elected. Then he says something and there will be instant pressure to remove him from his position. That's what depose means.

Here's the latest case http://www.smalanningen.se/article/homosexualitet-ar-bara-en-trend/ What did he say? "Homosexuality is just a trend." And he proposed that the church should not participate in pride parade. The result? Removed from his position in church within less than a week http://www.smp.se/tt-inrikes/kritiserad-kyrkopolitiker-avgar/ That's within a church. If this does not signify that gay ideology has taken over the church, then you lack basic comprehension of politics.

As far as my contributions go, I was content just to watch you and Belfrager dig your own graves with the moronic conspiracy theory arguments.
Nazis burnt Reichstag and blamed Commies. You call all conspiracies theories. One day you will be caught into a real one with your pants down. The sooner the better, because this way it will be a useful lesson for you. Later it will be too late.

Reply #247
As far as my contributions go, I was content just to watch you and Belfrager dig your own graves with the moronic conspiracy theory arguments. To use another analogy, give the enough rope to hang yourselves.
Wow, such extermination allegories.
It doesn't surprises me at all, nazis were always a bit gay. Gays are always a bit nazis.

My good friend, I thank you for nominate me but my interventions were always rare and scarce since I don't have the patience for your lobby and agenda. Basically, people like you repulses me.
You need to thank ersi, he gets all the credits by smashing all your arguments so patiently.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #248
And, of course, there's no gay agenda
进行 ...

Reply #249
Utterly ridiculous that corner got allowed to steal a word like 'gay' and I never use that word to describe them.. Disgraceful..
"Quit you like men:be strong"