Skip to main content
Topic: Feature Requests (Read 93077 times)

Re: Feature Requests

Reply #150
@ersi I never said that what Otter or Classic Opera does is any bad. I'm just saying that, It does not make any sense, say, when I shut down my computer at night and start it up in the morning next day and I open my browser which I intendedly had closed the other night, present me with the dialogue whether I wanna restore my previous session which I absolutely did not have any intention to. That's why I chose to close the browser without saving the session!!!

Thanks for being patient.

Reply #151
My suggestion is that give priority to adblock in loading webpages. This is recommended because the ads consumes lots of ram and cpu.
Now Otter loads all elements and secondly blocks the ads as I observed - distinctly from other browsers, even Opera.
And then... something happened.
(the Narrator)

Reply #152
I wouldn't know, I always used default skin in my Opera. I'm not saying that, it should be exact copy of Opera Presto feature, it's just that it would be appreciated if there is an indicator for fully loaded web pages in tabs not visited, may be different colour scheme.... ???

There is another kind of indicator right now, loader icons is shown instead of favicon until page gets loaded.
I'm not sure whether it's a requested feature or it's uder consideration but "lazy tab loading" or "load tabs in background" whatever you call it, is definitely on my whish list.

You can cross it out from that list, we have that option for looong time already (Browser/DelayRestoringOfBackgroundTabs). ;-)
It seems to be better approach than full restart, default behavior is to restore previous session anyway (at least it applies to default session).
What we really need is a command-line argument to start Otter's startup dialogue. This would solve these problems.

Looks like good idea, any suggestion for good name for such command line option?

@denes, it depends on ruleset, elements that can be removed on request level are blocked without loading them.
You should ask bajasoft on IRC channel for more details, maybe it would be possible to improve that part which uses CSS to block remaining elements.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #155
There is another kind of indicator right now, loader icons is shown instead of favicon until page gets loaded.

:no:

(Browser/DelayRestoringOfBackgroundTabs)

Correct me, if I'm wrong but it's not what I'm trying to say. It has got nothing to do with restart fucntion. If my memory serves me well, Lazy tab loading feature is available in Opera Blink. This feature prioritizes the tabs to be loaded first like the tab selected or activated will be loaded first then one by one other tabs, browser does not try to load all tabs at once and there is no need this function only to be used when it's restarted. I think it's useful when you try to open, say, 10 google search links at once then tabs are loaded one by one starting with next to active tab and then accordingly, if you select some tab amongst these, now browser prioritizes that tab first. What you telling me is, FF function wherein tabs ARE NOT LOADED UNTIL SELECTED. It means, you mannually have to activate each and every tab, nope, I guess what Opera Blink does is better. :rolleyes: 

Edit: OK, I checked the above mentioned feature but I don't find any difference before and after enabling it. Tabs behave the same way, perhaps, I'm doing something wrong...???

Reply #156
Ottila  :D
From Attila, the king of the Huns.
And then... something happened.
(the Narrator)

Reply #157
Opera has very easy proxy switch, and K-Meleon.

The proxy group show a menu list, i think there's millions people HAVE TO use proxy every day.
Fortuna fortes juvat.

Reply #158
What you telling me is, FF function wherein tabs ARE NOT LOADED UNTIL SELECTED.

Yes, it works that way, inactive tabs aren't loaded until selected.

@jasonliul, I'm planning to add such feature, although my inspiration is FoxyProxy.

Reply #159

Opera has very easy proxy switch, and K-Meleon.

K-Meleon yes but Opera?
How many proxies can you set up in Opera Presto?
How many proxies can you set up in Chropera?  Last time I've checked Chropera it used the proxy setting of the OS aka WindowsExploder.

Reply #160

I'm planning to add such feature, although my inspiration is FoxyProxy.

Can you define the protocols for each proxy separately in FoxyProxy?

Reply #161
Quote from: Emdek

@jasonliul, I'm planning to add such feature, although my inspiration is FoxyProxy.

Thanks Emdek, most new browser will focus safe & private.
Qupzilla never did this, chinese guys doesn't like it.
:jester:
Fortuna fortes juvat.

Reply #162
@krake, I have no idea how does it work right now in that addon, last time I've used it was before 2010. ;-)
I guess that we should go for allowing to create sets just like right now in Advanced configuration or defining paths to separate PAC files, keeping No Proxy and System Configuration as special entries in menu.

Reply #163
I threw a look at it since I was looking for a decent extension for Firefox.
I can't tell how it was before 2010 because at that time I still was a pleased Opera Presto user.
Now that it was sold it became something I have no use for... Hence my question to you. ;-)

The below is not a request but my personal opinion:
Direct connection, system proxy settings and manual proxy settings should be available. Firefox has them and any decent browser should.

Toggling proxy off or on to one of the above proxy settings can be accomplished through an extension without frills which also gives a button to visualize the state. That's what I have in Firefox and Opera Presto.

In K-Meleon I have all the above + I can set up as many proxies (HTTP, HTTPS, SOCKS) as I wish.
Furthermore I can switch among the different proxy set ups by right-clicking the button.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only problem I can see with PAC files, most average users might get overcharged by creating them. ;-) [s][/s]

Reply #164
here is small request by me
although dunno if it was already asked

Otter can do "inspect element" on webpage and launch its editor
but would be nice if it could just like old Opera to have View Page Source
in plain text (without fancy object colapsing) - as it simply shows better preview :P

Reply #166

The below is not a request but my personal opinion:
Direct connection, system proxy settings and manual proxy settings should be available. Firefox has them and any decent browser should.

Toggling proxy off or on to one of the above proxy settings can be accomplished through an extension without frills which also gives a button to visualize the state. That's what I have in Firefox and Opera Presto.

In K-Meleon I have all the above + I can set up as many proxies (HTTP, HTTPS, SOCKS) as I wish.
Furthermore I can switch among the different proxy set ups by right-clicking the button.

I agree with this. This is not just for security reasons. In countries that heavily filter the internet, such as China or Iran, advanced proxying is a requirement for basic usability.

Reply #168
Wouldn't something like --show(startup)dialog look a little less weird? :P

Reply #169

Wouldn't something like --show(startup)dialog look a little less weird? :P

I'd prefer --startupdialog in that case. I mainly aimed for something brief. If my original suggestion is too weird, then there should be a short alias too. For example

otter-browser -d

Reply #170

My suggestion is that give priority to adblock in loading webpages. This is recommended because the ads consumes lots of ram and cpu.
Now Otter loads all elements and secondly blocks the ads as I observed - distinctly from other browsers, even Opera.

Indeed, this is what I always took adblock to mean: Don't connect to the specified addresses. Now it seems that adblock developers merely prevent displaying specified stuff, while the browser still connects and downloads everything.

Are we really forced to build adblocks into the firewall now?

Reply #171
I'd prefer --startupdialog in that case. I mainly aimed for something brief. If my original suggestion is too weird, then there should be a short alias too. For example

otter-browser -d

It's more that I like options to be as self-explanatory as possible. --startupdialog fits the bill.

Reply #172
@ersi, @Frenzie, added as --sessionchooser.
We can think about one letter aliases when list of options will stabilize.

Reply #173

@ersi, @Frenzie, added as --sessionchooser.
We can think about one letter aliases when list of options will stabilize.

Great. I just tried it. But I notice you did not update the man page.

Reply #174
@ersi, indeed, fixed.