Skip to main content
Topic: Feature Requests (Read 93078 times)

Re: Feature Requests

Reply #125

So you understood exactly the opposite of what I meant.

No, I understood well. But I implied the other aspect of it: look on my bookmark panel there are many items in horizontal order. On a 16:9/16:10 monitor is visible both the image and (fragmented) texts. On the 4:3 this will be minimalistic (only image or text) and stretched - so ugly. And the differences are important because you can see there's eight identical image along with different text. On widescreen I can decide quckier which bookmark I should click because I can see the text. So I also save time.
The minus vertical space never bothered me, this is just a matter of taste.
And then... something happened.
(the Narrator)

Reply #126

16:9 is annoying, but that's a bit overdramatic. 1920x1080 is still slightly more vertical pixels than my 1280x1024

Sure A full HD monitor is not that bad. But on monitors for desktop PCs I would compare 1920x1080 with a good 1920x1200 monitor. Meant for IT not for TV.

I think your argument is really only somewhat applicable to 1024x600

That's not the whole story. The world is not split just between netbooks and full HD devices.

Most of the latest 16/10 notebooks, say Thinkpads X200/X201, Dell E4200/4300, A lot of Vaios and so on, are 1280x800, most of their direct successors are just 1366x768.

There are also some 1440x900 variants but are way less common or expensive.

Only lately full HD displays are commonly available on notebooks too.

But the 16/9 madness started four or five years ago, so there is a whole generation of (often expensive) notebooks equipped with a poor size/resolution combination.

Reply #128
@denes, all these requests are already on TODO list or in form of tickets on github. ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #129

https://vivaldi.net/forum/all/1662-new-snapshot-of-vivaldi-is-ready-for-download

Thank you. I read this because I am an open minded person, and I try to understand other users habits to decide which solution works practically better for me.
You and other users shared understandably the unique methods to use bookmarks.
And I agree in 100% with Ayespy's opinion, which is edifying:

"Different people, different use-cases, different needs.

Now in my case, I could never remember 81 numbers to know WHICH speed dial to call up. To make matters worse, my bookmarks bar gives me one or two step access to over a hundred bookmarks either directly or in one of five folders - and I don't have to remember anything. I either select the matching favicon or jump into one of the folders and do so. And I do it all day, every day, without ever changing the page I am on, necessarily."

But also the speed dial would be good too, as you use(d) it.
(the Narrator)

Reply #130

@denes, all these requests are already on TODO list or in form of tickets on github. ;-)

:doh:

Anyway :D I wish you luck and happy days!  ;) and for other programmers, of course
(the Narrator)

Reply #131

You and other users shared understandably the unique methods to use bookmarks.

Who said unique ?

I explained my way, and I' explained that isn't any slower than other methods (your and avespy's points). Thats all.

Now in my case, I could never remember 81 numbers to know WHICH speed dial to call up.

Come on. That's why SD has thumbnails. If there is something that is the antimatter of remembering something,  is visually and spatially spotting a colored big block.
It's something that resembles the very first educational games aimed to the 3 years old babies, eimple by definition.

Add to it a rational organization, add to it the fact that when you use the SD for awhile you can use it blindly (because, like it or not you start to remember), and your objection becomes completely emptied of any means.

"Different people, different use-cases, different needs.

That's true but is just part of the truth.

The real thing is that any mammal, humans included (including me, you and avespy ) forms itself mainly when is young. And Is really hard to change a crystallized habit, for a person who's not a teenager anymore, even when another one is definitely better.

Reply #132
That's not the whole story. The world is not split just between netbooks and full HD devices.

Most of the latest 16/10 notebooks, say Thinkpads X200/X201, Dell E4200/4300, A lot of Vaios and so on, are 1280x800, most of their direct successors are just 1366x768.

My whole story is that 1024x768 is the lowest user-friendly resolution (down mostly to modern programs' GUI assumptions than to anything inherent in 600 vertical px). 1366x768 is annoying, but it's a usable resolution with a little extra on the side. I was perfectly happy with 1024x768 on Windows 98, with (some) toolbars.

Anyway, why should the default be tailored toward the lowest common denominator? That's why Windows 8 is utterly unusable without Classic Shell. Oh yeah, and I love my titlebar on my 1024x600 netbook, thank you very much. I also know how to press F11 for those occasions when I don't.

But the 16/9 madness started four or five years ago, so there is a whole generation of (often expensive) notebooks equipped with a poor size/resolution combination.

I'm more than well aware of that. I was thinking about acquiring a new monitor around '09, but then suddenly 1920x1200 went out of fashion. Not caring to pay double I stuck with my older 1280x1024. I don't consider some extra space on the side a worthwhile upgrade. Anyway, I'm glad we're finally out of that slump, but vertical space simply never became any more precious than it was in the '90s no matter how much we might detest the lack of progress.

Reply #133

My whole story is that 1024x768 is the lowest user-friendly resolution (down mostly to modern programs' GUI assumptions than to anything inherent in 600 vertical px).

Yes. On win 8+ even the boot logo is 1024x768

1366x768 is annoying, but it's a usable resolution with a little extra on the side.

You said. "Usable". My 1280x800 notebooks are "confortable" it means that I can use the same screen area with an extra space rougly measurable in "one taskbar".

No matter if the windows taskbar, an additional browser bar, or the media control bar of a media player, is something that was stolen on 16/9 display.

I was thinking about acquiring a new monitor around '09, but then suddenly 1920x1200 went out of fashion

Well thanks god someone realized it and now here (in Italy) a decent  24'' 1920x1200 monitor can find a new home with just 160€ or even less.

Even android 16/10 tablets are now easier to find than their 16/9 counterparts.

Frankly I believe that a relevant part of the Apple success is due to the better display formats they offered. 4/3 for tablets and a lot of 16/10 display for notebooks, when the rest of the world moved blindly to the 16/9 idiocy.

Reply #134
Frankly I believe that a relevant part of the Apple success is due to the better display formats they offered. 4/3 for tablets and a lot of 16/10 display for notebooks, when the rest of the world moved blindly to the 16/9 idiocy.

I hate that term "Retina" (you'd need twice the resolution for that in my not at all humble opinion), but I thank Apple from the bottom of my heart for leading the (mainstream) way in improving pixel density and not blindly succumbing to idiotic aspect ratios.

Reply #135

I hate that term "Retina"

I hate it too given my Sonyericsson X1 (300dpi circa) was in my pocket almost three year before the Iphone 4 was released and the term Retina was advertised.

you'd need twice the resolution for that in my not at all humble opinion

Surely isn't needed on notebooks, it's even an annoyance, especially in windows, because compatibility reasons.

Is more than welcome on cellphones and tablet especially for people who use them as ebook reader.

BTW Is something of concrete even non notebooks, visually can't be a bed thing and even if the human eye can't spot the difference consciously, maybe the combination eye/brain, can.

After all is what happens with CDs, that can play sounds from 20 to  20Khz, covering the audible spectrum, but DATs (and even the old vinyls) sounds way better.

Reply #136
I'm impressed with the progress of this project but have some suggestions and feature requests of my own. It would be appreciated if you guys move the entire tab bar up like old Opera next to minimize/maximize /close button and do not waste vertical space. I just had a chance to look at your to be added list but could not find pop up blocker feature on a par with Opera Presto, you guys plan to add it? My another concern is over lack of home button, it's a must have for me other must have features are:
Hyperlink text selection like old good Opera 12.
"Open with..." option in context menu as well tab menu too.
Another suggestion I have is, make all toolbars visible when you move cursor up while in full screen mode just like Firefox.

Reply #137

My another concern is over lack of home button, it's a must have for me

This is already possible by redefining the toolbar by JSON as described here https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?topic=357.msg31923#msg31923

The button name you want is GoToHomePageAction

Hyperlink text selection like old good Opera 12.

I have created a bug ticket that cites this issue. Maybe this extension will eventually work https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/select-like-a-boss
Even though of course it would be best to incorporate it somehow.

I'm also waiting for these.

Another suggestion I have is, make all toolbars visible when you move cursor up while in full screen mode just like Firefox.

I prefer the way Opera does it. Right now Otter does something in between FF and old Opera. The best way to proceed is to keep ading configuration options and settings.

Reply #138
It would be appreciated if you guys move the entire tab bar up like old Opera next to minimize/maximize /close button and do not waste vertical space.

https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/issues/30

https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/issues/337

I have created a bug ticket that cites this issue. Maybe this extension will eventually work https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/select-like-a-boss
Even though of course it would be best to incorporate it somehow.

Bleh, it's even more overcomplicated than previous effort:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/issues/109

I just had a chance to look at your to be added list but could not find pop up blocker feature on a par with Opera Presto, you guys plan to add it?

Yes, it's not on the list but option is already available in UI (but disabled for now).

Reply #139
@ersi and @Emdek, thank you guys for quick response. @ersi I'm really not a tech guy  :(. Biology student to be specific :P. I could get working fanboy ultimate list in content blocking with the help of your guide in the above mentioned link but I'm clueless how to edit that toolBar.json file as it's all clutter I find when I open it. (BTW Otter crashes if you try to use "save link target as"). I tried to copy text in json file and tried to edit it with your only address bar suggestion in the same post and home button to no effect. I'd appreciate it if you could help me out here as I'm really clueless what went wrong. :nervous:

Reply #140

I'm clueless how to edit that toolBar.json file as it's all clutter I find when I open it.

When I was on Windows, I used Notepad++ instead of Notepad. Notepad++ is a much better editor.

Reply #141
Emdek, regarding the tabbar on a side, that is also my beloved, very important feature which forced me to leave new Opera, and search for FF addon. And the bookmarks bar on the right. All together save a vertical space.
For now moving tabbar to the left works but still with vertical tabs and text, just FYI.

Reply #142
BTW Otter crashes if you try to use "save link target as"

I'll check that, QtWebKit had some odd issues with built-in actions under Windows, but right now we are using own actions, so it should be easier to fix it.

@Pref, see:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/issues/110

Reply #143
Thanks @ersi and @Emdek. Is there any way to disable status bar? Also looking forward to tab stacking and indication of web page fully loaded as in Opera Presto in which tab corner is folded. I used to use Restart button in Opera Presto, is there any way I can use this command in Otter browser? I observed another issue, not a major one, sometimes favicons do not appear in tabs, especially while searching from address bar, refreshing the tab resolves it, though. 

Reply #145
Is there any way to disable status bar?

To be done as part of:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/issues/31

indication of web page fully loaded as in Opera Presto in which tab corner is folded.

It seems to be a bit unreliable (I have multiple fully loaded tabs in background and only few have it), isn't it skin-dependent?

I used to use Restart button in Opera Presto, is there any way I can use this command in Otter browser?

What was exact purpose of that action?

I observed another issue, not a major one, sometimes favicons do not appear in tabs, especially while searching from address bar, refreshing the tab resolves it, though.

This can wait, we are going to move away from built-in favicon fetcher anyway.

Reply #146
isn't it skin-dependent?

I wouldn't know, I always used default skin in my Opera. I'm not saying that, it should be exact copy of Opera Presto feature, it's just that it would be appreciated if there is an indicator for fully loaded web pages in tabs not visited, may be different colour scheme....??? 

What was exact purpose of that action?

I know, this demand always baffles everybody (It happened in Opera Presto forum, too)! But I really wonder why browser vendors ignore this. When a browser is using lots of ram or high cpu usage or any other reason like browser becomes unresposive or very sluggish and if you have lots of tabs open but don't want to loose your session, this feature comes in handy. And yes, it's WAY different than "continue from last session" which asks you to continue from last session on EVERY browser startup, really annoying! But restart does this ONLY when you restart application and wanna restore your last session. There is an FF addon Restartless Restart, it uses ALT+R shortcut to restart and restore previous session.

I'm not sure whether it's a requested feature or it's uder consideration but "lazy tab loading" or "load tabs in background" whatever you call it, is definitely on my whish list. :D

Reply #147

I know, this demand always baffles everybody (It happened in Opera Presto forum, too)! But I really wonder why browser vendors ignore this. When a browser is using lots of ram or high cpu usage or any other reason like browser becomes unresposive or very sluggish and if you have lots of tabs open but don't want to loose your session, this feature comes in handy. And yes, it's WAY different than "continue from last session" which asks you to continue from last session on EVERY browser startup, really annoying! But restart does this ONLY when you restart application and wanna restore your last session. There is an FF addon Restartless Restart, it uses ALT+R shortcut to restart and restore previous session.

So you want to restart the browser and continue from last session when the browser becomes sluggish? At the same time keeping a different setting for normal restarts?

What if there's a plugin that is stifling the processes? Would you want that to be restarted too? What I would want to do in this case was to restart the browser with the startup dialogue. Otter's startup dialogue is very good in that it allows you to unselect the offending tab, while you can still go on and start the rest of the session.

What we really need is a command-line argument to start Otter's startup dialogue. This would solve these problems.

Reply #148
@ersi thanks for the reply. I don't think you understood what I want to say. I wanna have the session restored only when I RESTART the browser. "continue from last session" is presented on EVERY browser startup if enabled  or (sometimes in case of Classic Opera) when browser crashes. Why would I want to restore my last session every now and then? Nope, it's only when I feel that browser is using more ram than usual or unusually sluggish or some extension(s) acting up. I share with you my own experience in this regard, I installed some Classic Opera extension (don't remember the name) and it wasn't working the way it should, I had almost 10-12 tabs open and obviously didn't want to close the session, I restarted the browser, now extension was working fine with all my session restored. If I had "continue from last session" option enabled, this would perform the exact same task, no doubt about that but I would be presented with "continue from last session" on every browser startup and if you disable the option there is no way you can restore your last session when you close and reopen it. In short I want this only ONE time command, don't want to be greeted on every  browser startup whether I wanna restore my last session when I close and reopen it. I hope, I was able to convey my concern effectively.

Reply #149

@ersi thanks for the reply. I don't think you understood what I want to say. I wanna have the session restored only when I RESTART the browser.

I understood you very well. You want to basically have a Restart button that restores the current session, similar to what is available in FF. And I agree that it is a nice extra convenience. In FF the option pops up when the browser wants, e.g when you install an extension that requires a browser restart. You want it to always be present so that you can restart the browser this way whenever you want. Right?

The point that I tried to make was that in critical cases it actually makes more sense to restart the browser with the startup dialogue, as is provided in Otter and old Opera. It makes sense because in the dialogue you can specifically unselect the offending tab, if you know which one it was. Additionally, when your browser bogs up the system and becomes sluggish, it may not respond at all, and in this case your Restart button would not work either.

I agree that it's an extra convenience to have such a button, but I somewhat disagree how it should work. In my opinion the Restart button should do what Otter normally does after crash: Bring up the startup dialogue.