Skip to main content
Topic: Europe's Migrant Crisis (Read 34665 times)

Re: Europe's Migrant Crisis

Reply #25
From the BBC this afternoon:
Germany can cope with at least 500,000 asylum seekers a year for several years, Vice Chancellor Sigmar Gabriel has said.
Germany expects more than 800,000 asylum-seekers in 2015 alone - four times the 2014 figure.
Mr Gabriel reiterated that other EU states should share the burden.

I know that Scotland will do its share.

Reply #26

I know that Scotland will do its share.

As the USA does???

Keep in mind that without US meddling we wouldn't witness today neither a Syrian 'crisis' nor ISIL.
Wonder how the next mess done by the self-proclaimed 'world-police' will look like.

Reply #27
I will ignore the nonsense fro mjsmsprt40 as he comes from the State of would-be virtue, Illinois.

Scotland i understand will take some but not many. For an awful long time Scotland has had a population a fraction over 5 million but now for the first time has soared to a half million more. As the indigenous population bay producing is low it would not take anyone much intelligence (I include Illinois in passing) much brain power to work out where the growth is from. On top of that I have already intimated that Gt Britain has 8 million who were NOT born here and there is a limit an island can take. We also dish out far more than any other European country in aid as well and I think it is ridiculous that tens of thousands can just march into Europe and act as if they are something thus encouraging a stream that will go on and on. Who knows what this heavy intake might do in future years and decades either?

Basically war and fleeing such can be genuinely emotional but just to have floods of them at great cost and no end in sight brings up other important issues. In view of the intake we had under the Labour government lot of some 2 million and which is still going on in the numbers reaching 6-figures annually the pressures on the country are great. The media made great use of the tragedies and if things like the Turkish solider gently carrying the body of a three year old boy on a beach. Another was a photograph of a man and wife both lying together grasping a bay in their arms. What they did not say was that in a filmed version i noted on television the man did that quite deliberately for attention.

For large numbers to go through processing at camps in Turkey, etc whilst these legions march into Europe as if they owned it is all damn wrong. The government here was quite right to say that the 20,000 will be from the camps as the others who just ignore such and flock here to Europe get away with that? We have and are doing our bit but there has to be a limit and this place IS getting overcrowded and the cost in admin, housing, schools, welfare, health, etc is getting out of hand.

When one gets away from the emotion of what the media produces there has to be control over Euro entry and that those rich countries in the ME as I reminded do nothing is a disgrace. In a poll the other day it actually stated that some 27% were all for the lot skipping the camps and m,arching into Europe but 45% said "no" to this being allowed.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #28
Keep in mind that without US meddling we wouldn't witness today neither a Syrian 'crisis' nor ISIL.
Wonder how the next mess done by the self-proclaimed 'world-police' will look like.

There are a range of ideas on the Middle East generally and Syria specifically.

So it's easy to say, hard to prove. I agree that the US has fiddled too much in the region, but you'll have to show me that Syria would be fine otherwise. Did the us cause the uprising against Assad? I don't think so.

In the meantime...
The German government is accused of selling weapons and security systems to dictatorial regimes and supporting them against democracy calls of their nations, especially in the Middle East and North Africa. Selling arms to such regimes takes place despite the fact that Saudi Arabia has not been playing a peaceful role in regional developments during the past few months.

It has been suppressing the popular uprising in Bahrain, on the one hand, while playing a sinister and destructive role in the Syrian unrest, on the other hand.

Israel, another major customer of German weapons in the Middle East is still pursuing its warmongering policies in the region after being delivered very advanced German submarines. Tel Aviv continues to threaten Iran with the use of force over Tehran’s nuclear energy program and has frequently underlined the role of these submarines in any possible attack against Iran.

Germany and Saddam’s Regime The issue which cannot be easily ignored is the high-profile part played by (former West) Germany and German companies in providing Iraq’s former Baathist regime with all kinds of weaponry during its eight years of imposed war against Iran. Experts say no country ever helped Iraq with building weapons production complexes and a chemical weapons arsenal as much as Germany did.

In the meantime, Iraq imported a total of about 625 million dollars worth of military equipment from Germany between 1982 and 1986 to become the fourth biggest importer of German weaponry in the world. Of course, the figure only encompasses weaponry exports for which an official permit had been issued.

I guess there's a bit of guilt everywhere.

Reply #29
It ems that a sizeable number of immigrants coming into places like Italy, etc refused to give information on themselves so that is a dangerous side to things.

Reply #31
From rj
"As the indigenous population bay producing is low it would not take anyone much intelligence (I include Illinois in passing) much brain power to work out where the growth is from."
Does this sentence mean ANYTHING to ANYBODY?

Reply #32

"Get us out of here ensignbb3!"

Reply #33
The German government is accused of selling weapons and security systems to dictatorial regimes and supporting them against democracy calls of their nations, especially in the Middle East and North Africa. Selling arms to such regimes takes place despite the fact that Saudi Arabia has not been playing a peaceful role in regional developments during the past few months.

I believe the Dutch government sold a few hundred tanks to Saudi Arabia — supposedly we don't need them anymore.

Reply #34

So it's easy to say, hard to prove. I agree that the US has fiddled too much in the region, but you'll have to show me that Syria would be fine otherwise. Did the us cause the uprising against Assad? I don't think so.

Whatever you think...
It wasn't either the first nor the last uprising staged by the USA abroad.
BTW, the last one I know about was in the Ukraine. According to Victoria Nuland the USA did spent  $5 Billion for a regime change there.

In the meantime...
The German government is accused of selling weapons and security systems to dictatorial regimes and supporting them against democracy calls of their nations, especially in the Middle East and North Africa...

Let's see:

- Saudi Arabia
I thought that Saudi Arabia is a close ally of the USA. BTW, military aircraft operated by Saudis.
- Israel
Who ever wrote that artcle must have been joking.
Who is the main military partner of Israel? Who vetoed several UN resolutions concerning Israel?
I assume, it won't be a hard guess for you.
- Bahrain
Isn't Bahrain another close ally of the USA? Am I missing something?
- Saddam’s Regime
Experts say no country ever helped Iraq with building weapons production complexes and a chemical weapons arsenal as much as Germany did?
What do those experts say about the germs which Saddam got to build its biological arsenal? Guess wherefrom did Saddam got those germs?
Another guess that shouldn't be too hard for you. (hint - it wasn't Germany)

I guess there's a bit of guilt everywhere.

"Everywhere" might include Tuvalu as well. ;)
However the amount of guilt might differ substantially to say the least.

Reply #35
However the amount of guilt might differ substantially to say the least.

I feel soooo guilty.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_biological_weapons_program#The_program
In the early 1980s, five German firms supplied equipment to manufacture botulin toxin and mycotoxin to Iraq. Iraq's State Establishment for Pesticide Production (SEPP) also ordered culture media and incubators from Germany's Water Engineering Trading.[3] Strains of dual-use biological material from France also helped advance Iraq’s biological warfare program. From the United States, the non-profit American Type Culture Collection and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control sold or sent biological samples to Iraq up until 1989, which Iraq claimed to need for medical research...

I have no sympathy for too many things that the U.S. has done in its brief history. If we are somehow guilty for out histories, you might consider Germany's checkered history in the 20th century.

You're personally guilty for the Hitler era, aren't you?

All of this guilt business is asinine, isn't it, to the extent that it is applied to people who have nothing to do with it?

Bye-bye, RjKrake!

Reply #36
Certainly much oif the West has been quite happy selling to some awful modern dictatorships but drifting back to the present European fiasco not all those we keep seeing on television are refugees.  As for Germany allowing a massive flood some are saying it is because of the Nazi history. At least Mussolini wasn't much into exporting his fascist ideology! Wonder who the gauliters of Syria and Afghanistan were back then. Hhhmmm.an awful long way away. Now I note that Austria is getting a bit of a panic and is going to tighten up it's borders and quite right to do so. Hungary is correct too. It is not a big place and the numbers flocking into Europe will in the long run create all sorts of future situations not too healthy I may say.  It is still a great annoyance of the large numbers who refuse to give any details of themselves but think that they should be able to get what they want no matter the financial cost to European countries.

Reply #37

I feel soooo guilty.

Whether you feel or not guilty, it's not my business.
However, pointing the finger at the US government is not the same thing as pointing it at you.
If you feel offended nevertheless for whatever reason, that's your problem. I can't help.

You're personally guilty for the Hitler era, aren't you?

I wasn't even born at that time, so go and figure.
The things I'm speaking about, belong to the present. Wonder if you can grasp the difference?

Never mind.
Have a nice day, Mr. Whitewashwish! :)

Reply #38
Ich mochte bitte ein tasse kaffee.  :coffee:

Reply #39
Hier, bitte sehr. :)

Reply #40
Now who is next for the smart alex list?!  :D

Reply #42
 :P

Reply #43
This is one time I for one am inclined to stay the heck out of it. The only way to fix it would be to make Syria glow in the dark--- and nobody will like it if we do that.

http://www.duffelblog.com/2015/09/world-begs-us-military-force-syria-bitch-later/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=facebook_page&utm_medium=Duffel%20Blog&utm_content=World%20Begs%20U.S.%20To%20Use%20Military%20Force%20in%20Syria%20So%20They%20Can%20Bitch%20About%20It%20Later
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #44

This is one time I for one am inclined to stay the heck out of it. The only way to fix it would be to make Syria glow in the dark--- and nobody will like it if we do that.

< cough >

Did you check your source wherefrom you are quoting?

The Duffel Blog:
is an American military news satire organization featuring satirical articles reporting on US military news. It is often described as "the military version of The Onion."

:D

Reply #45
Krake--- you think I didn't know? Come on--- just read the piece and you know it's satire.

However, having been a member of DnD for all this time, and a member for quite awhile on MyOpera Debates and Discussions before that--- I daresay that bit of satire hits very close to the mark. I see very little from the "chorus" here that doesn't try to blame America for every bad thing that happens anywhere in the world.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #46
Two people does not make a chorus. :P

Reply #47

I daresay that bit of satire hits very close to the mark.

Except it hits in the other direction. :D

I see very little from the "chorus" here that doesn't try to blame America for every bad thing that happens anywhere in the world.

Have you ever asked yourself, why America with its 1400 military bases abroad and not someone else like Switzerland?

Reply #48
Have you ever asked yourself, why America with its 1400 military bases abroad and not someone else like Switzerland?

Don't underestimate Switzerland, they control the Vatican guard... :)

Americans are increasingly being driven to believe that the world is against them (as if anyone had no better thing to do than to pay them attention...). Obviously a strategy for getting the population's support in order to maintain a belligerent, intrusive and irresponsible attitude all over the place that they confuse with "external policy".

This wave of refugees from Syria and around countries is the direct consequence of American (and also their European support) governments in keep governing against their population's will and desires.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #49
A real on the spot assessment there,  Belfrager.