Skip to main content
Topic: Is there a police psychology problem?? (Read 113470 times)

Re: Is there a police psychology problem??

Reply #225
Step #7 - Say nothing when police cross the line.
Step #8 - Make excuses for the police. Blame the dead, even if video evidence shows him doing nothing wrong.
Step #9 - Live in tyranny.

Reply #226
Oh for goodness sake! No wonder the place is so damn dangerous with daft comments like that. When a police force is allowed to shoot people when the person concerned is unarmed and often not once but more bullets than that there is something wrong. Are you telling me that somehow those idiotsd in uniform are somehow naturally brilliant and can get away with anything. Oops they do get away with anything. You and Smiley in particular cannot get beyond the blinkered vision that they are special. No they are not and they should be treated under the same law as as everyone else. Others don't get away with it so why should they. As for the infantile comment that you could live in tyranny. You are and your police State is getting nearer all the time.

It is this mindset that anyone in a military or police uniform is special and above reproach no matter the situation and this attitude is based on an over produced nationalism disguised as patriotic. Even allowing for the many decent police in general your country does have a police problem but the duh mentality as being shown by you two makes the country not only a laughing stock but makes people shake their heads. When you are not shooting yourselves in thousands annually the police are in on the game too. And there is something deeply flawed in people who get a uniform, badge and "training" who think it is okay to shoot unarmed and often innocents and get away with it. May I say again that what passes for a legal system in America is a joke and just a theatre for lawyers. Fiddly about with the most minuscule things while at the same time making it plain to the cops they can do anything in the name of law.

You still haven't grown up in policing or law and small wonder the place is crime ridden, jails full, queues for the death row (for years and a form of torture which proves my legal status point). Outside of the lush suburbia you are fraught with danger. The other day I laughed at a man from over there who was angry that when passing a policeman in the street with his hands in both pockets he was ordered by the cop to withdraw them. It is the kind of passing incident that emphasises the dictatorial aspect of US policing so if you want to ill someone with impunity join the police.

The clock is ticking to a police state and dictatorship.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #227
As for the infantile comment that you could live in tyranny. You are and your police State is getting nearer all the time.

Who's being daft? My additional steps were a criticism of Smiley's steps, a sarcastic way of showing that you don't have to follow his steps to wind up in trouble. The closest I ever got to being arrested was, in fact, trying to report a crime committed against me.
It is this mindset that anyone in a military or police uniform is special and above reproach no matter the situation and this attitude is based on an over produced nationalism disguised as patriotic.

That's close to being the opposite of what I actually said, Howie. The growing feeling, especially in urban areas like this, is the police do indeed stop and harass citizens that didn't commit a crime. Or if you did commit a petty crime, their reaction is out of proportion to what you did or your threat to the police. Take Garner's case: he didn't pull a weapon, "charge" the police, or do anything else violent. Even if he hadn't died, the police actions would still be questionable at best - especially since chokeholds are banned for NYPD.

Reply #228

Oh for goodness sake! No wonder the place is so damn dangerous with daft comments like that.    I hate everything about the America -- you included!! I hate you!! I hate the USA!! I hate Americans, unless they are just like me!! And that's why the USA Sux!!!

I hate everything about the ex-colonies!!     Anybody not living here is stupid!!   I hate you!!    I hate, I hate, I hate, & I hate hate hate!! I hate you, & your stupid country too!! The clock is ticking to a police state and dictatorship.      And that's just a start on why the America Sux!!!

Now it's your turn 'Coony  ..........  Notice a pattern in his rants?

76BB

Reply #229
Oh a not very subtle attempt to avoid the deep issue of the police over there by using that handy wrod 'hate.' For the more sensible and rational minds outside of say, hhm, Sanguinemoon drinking in propaganda and Smiley the resident terrorist supporter  who follows a long tradition of actual hate via killing people it is kind of laughable. At least San made a kinf of attempt even though it is a repeat of what DC and the media waffles on. Smiley on the other hand cannot be taken with any degree of morality  being the US rightist gung ho mentality. Someone who supports killers as his logo indicates is beyond the pale.

It all skips the point that there are regular killings of the unarmed week after week somewhere in the ex-colonies, beatings, torture and no accountability. It all does emphasise my attitude of the pathetic  wimpering about men in uniform whether soldierr or policeman. Your jails are bursting at the seams thus showing a deep flaw and that police never end up there because they are uniformed shows a mentality of the child mind and a dangerous country. Between the jails, police allowance and what passes for a legal system thank heavens in long retrospect that you broke away. The flagrant contradiction of freedoms, rights and such is obvious to the world and no small reason it is so unpopular in so many places. It is no small wonder the head shrinker industry is so widespread with terrorists like Smiley trying to show he is normal. Never once in the Opera nor this forum have I said I hate Americans. I have no time at all for your syste and so-called legal practices or wanting to dominate the world. That you cannot see that smiley only makes your stuff here look more pathetic.

For the more adapt mind it is known that there aare those over there who are concerned about the police situation but the Smiley attitude would sneer at them being almost un-American.  He would just love that 1950's Committee back with a vengeance. The man who ran it would have been a hero to him!

Reply #230

Oh a not very subtle attempt to avoid the deep issue of how, how much I really, really, do dislike anything American!!! I dislike you!!  I dislike everything about the USA!!  I dislike you!! I despise the USA!! I despise you!! Between the jails, police allowance and what passes for a legal system thank heavens in long retrospect that you broke away. And that's why I despise you, & everyone else but myself!! 

Ooooooppps,  my turn again!!

76BB

Reply #231
One can make allowances for you as I didn't know you were stll at school. Oops, sorry.

Reply #232
There are interesting developments.  Two white men took BB-guns off the shelf and proceed to shot up the store with it are arrested by officers. African American John Crawford commits no crime when he was looking a BB-guns and gets gunned down. More on this the Crawford's family's wrongful death suit. Crawford didn't point the the toy gun at anyone, including the police.

More on Crawford:

Speaking to the Daily News, LeeCee Johnson, 22, who identified herself as the mother of Crawford’s children, said she was talking to Crawford on her cell phone at the time of the shooting.

“We was just talking. He said he was at the video games playing videos and he went over there by the toy section where the toy guns were. And the next thing I know, he said ‘It’s not real,’ and the police start shooting and they said ‘Get on the ground,’ but he was already on the ground because they had shot him,” she said. She added she “could hear him just crying and screaming” and said officers “shot him down like he was not even human.”

The police claim Crawford wasn't obeying their orders. You can't obey if you're already dead, can you?

Reply #233
Would love to see the store's videotapes of the incident, which hopefully will have both audio & video recorded.

Without audio it becomes he said, he said.

From what I saw it looks damning, but without a record of whatever was said leaves only unfounded speculations at best.

Reply #234
That's an understandable request. However, apparently neither Walmart nor the police will release them to the media, which is suspicious in and of itself. However,  Ronald Ritchie, who called 911, admitted to lying. The white guys, on the other hand, were a clear threat. It is possible to be killed by a pellet rifle .

Reply #235
If you threaten others with a weapon, you run a fair risk of getting shot or killed yourself, I don't think anyone has a problem with that, this is self-defence. That doesn't mean police have to kill people endangering others, it is far preferable not to if they can do so if they can capture the culprits safely.

Killing people stealing, vandalising, or running away is not self-defence. There is thus nothing wrong with (assumed) hoodlums staying alive, no matter their skin colour. The John Crawford case on the other hands shows fatal flaws in the system.

Reply #236
The main point is this matter of the level of the right to shoot by police officers in America. As is known our police don't carry guns and only have groups of special officers in some event which is not common here either. What gets me is this thing where a policeman is involved in a confronatation like one recently where an offender tried to hit the cop with his own truncheon so got shot at 11 times?? The same has applied in regular other events. In Ferguson it is an inbuilt right to shoot a man (in that case unarmed) 6 times including in the back?). In the odd incident here an officer does not tend to pump a number of bullets into someone and there is always an immediate investigation into the matter.

The trouble in American big cities is this love affair with the gun and the fact that police can more or less do what they damn well like because they are in a uniform. Why is it the system is so out of kilter that police do not get arrested for going over the top and challenged. The country needs to review the city police system and the uniformed gunmen need greater discipline and be properly looked into with shootings. The image that is given to the world is not a good one and only goes to help the view that the places is overly dangerous and the police becoming dictators and not held to account.

Reply #237
The trouble in American big cities is this love affair with the gun and the fact that police can more or less do what they damn well like because they are in a uniform.

That wasn't even a big city. It was Beavercreek, Ohio. Some time ago, Smiley complained of a man getting arrested and released the next day for having a gun in his when he was pulled over. As I said at that time, he was lucky to get out the incident alive. Of course, that man was White. Around here, he'd be on the way to coroner with his body resembling a macabre parody of Swiss cheese regardless of skin color or the weapons permit. 
6 times including in the back

The in the back is the bit the police defenders forget about this case. Yes, he did rob the store. No, he was the angel some liberal media him out to be. But, yes Wilson continued firing after any threat had passed. How much of a threat Brown was is debatable. It came out that Wilson's injuries were greatly exaggerated.

People are starting to fear the police more than the criminals and that's called tyranny.

Reply #238
I don't know whether the officer who did the shooting in Ferguson actually knew the man had robbed a store when the confrontation started but the 6 shots are something else of course. There was another incident in another State where a cop shot at a man 11 times? In that case the FBI and some other lot are investigating itThis is crazy stuff and happens every week somewhere and is ludicrous. In the odd shooting here a policeman will not go daft and empty a gun at someone and as I pointed out there is a very thorough investigation when such happens. There is a fundamental problem where the police in too many places think they are the law like the old West and they do the opposite from protecting people.Whether an assailant or suspect is armed or not armed the routine is to fire several shots - no attempt to wound but kill.

That time after time the police get automatically away with multiple shooting especially on the unarmed and  is a disgrace and they know they will get away with it so why is that allowed? Guns are too deeply embedded in the psyche and it is time there was an overhaul of procedures on multi-firing cops. Just because someone is in a uniform is not an answer at all.

Reply #239
This is crazy stuff and happens every week somewhere and is ludicrous. In the odd shooting here a policeman will not go daft and empty a gun at someone and as I pointed out there is a very thorough investigation when such happens. There is a fundamental problem where the police in too many places think they are the law like the old West and they do the opposite from protecting people.

It's a very large country.

Reply #240

This is crazy stuff and happens every week somewhere and is ludicrous. In the odd shooting here a policeman will not go daft and empty a gun at someone and as I pointed out there is a very thorough investigation when such happens. There is a fundamental problem where the police in too many places think they are the law like the old West and they do the opposite from protecting people.

It's a very large country.

And multifaceted.
Unlike Scotland. I have been there and it is homogeneous. A bit like porridge, one Scot is pretty much like another Scot.
I will grant that some of the women are distinguishable from some of the men.

Reply #241
Oh what an excuse jimro! When one considers the chest thumping about being the greatest in the world while the actuality shows something else the size does not come into the rquasion. That so many policemen shoot to kill and one bullet or two insufficient this tels you something flawed and terrible. Why does it take 6 or 11 bullets to get someone especially the people unarmed. The gun rules the place and with the number owned and the way too many policemen go gung-ho is more telling than the propaganda. Armoured military vehivles regular helmets and other army gear and even using the army on streets tells the world something more real than the "we are the greatest" syndrome!

Interesting comments from down under where it is equally difficult to tell some women from kangaroos so hey we have something in common after all tt92. How brilliant for the festive time and New year. Well done to you.   :up:

Reply #242
.........even using the army on streets tells the world something more real........

The National Guard (an entity beholden only to the State, & not under Presidential or Federal Control) maybe in rare instances, but the U.S. Army ......,  not!

That's forbidden in law & the Constitution except in extreme circumstances (ex: an organized insurrection, natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident).

RJ, get yer facts straight before you decide to verbally flush yer bowels!

Reply #243
Aneat play on words dear marxist terrorist supporter. The National guard are still essentially solders (although your police are getting more and more like soldiers).  Apart from doing a danc on the police issue you should face up to the fact that there is a problem.

Reply #244

Aneat play on words dear marxist terrorist supporter. The National guard are still essentially solders (although your police are getting more and more like soldiers).  Apart from doing a danc on the police issue you should face up to the fact that there is a problem.

Close, but no cigar......they are not 'U.S. Soldiers'. I was a U.S. Soldier, & I (along with 95%+ of American Citizens) know the difference.

Most foreigners shouldn't & can't be expected to know, so you're forgiven.

Problem? ......... I think it's already been resolved .......... The People of St. Louis County have spoken.

The Grand Jury was composed of 12 people "selected at random from a fair cross-section of the citizens," according to Missouri law.

The jurors, whose identities were kept secret, were 75 percent white: six white men, three white women, two black women and one black man.

St. Louis County overall is 70 percent white.

The Grand Jury found that there was no 'probable cause' to indict.

It was not necessary to be unanimous to find 'probable cause' to indict.

The Grand Jury heard 70 hours of testimony from 60 witnesses (which included Officer Wilson & 59 other citizens).

Case closed (for now) ...... It's been done & dusted.......next.

Reply #245
The National Guard can be thought of as today's version of the "Minute Men". Citizen-soldiers, working regular jobs to pay the bills, but on call in case of emergency by either state or federal officials. That "emergency" may involve guns--- or it may involve filling sandbags to hold back flood waters. They are NOT part of the regular army, but may be called on to fight alongside the regulars if needed. Because they're really state militias, they answer to the governors of the various states as needed-- a thing the regular army can't, by constitutional law, do. Not that this would necessarily stop regular soldiers from helping fill sandbags if the nearby town is threatened-- but the regular army can't provide police service-- the National Guard, being a state militia, can provide police service if authorized by the governor.

There-- does that confuse you enough, or should I provide a link?
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #246

The National Guard can be thought of as today's version of the "Minute Men". Citizen-soldiers, working regular jobs to pay the bills, but on call in case of emergency by either state or federal officials. That "emergency" may involve guns--- or it may involve filling sandbags to hold back flood waters. They are NOT part of the regular army, but may be called on to fight alongside the regulars if needed. Because they're really state militias, they answer to the governors of the various states as needed-- a thing the regular army can't, by constitutional law, do. Not that this would necessarily stop regular soldiers from helping fill sandbags if the nearby town is threatened-- but the regular army can't provide police service-- the National Guard, being a state militia, can provide police service if authorized by the governor.

There-- does that confuse you enough, or should I provide a link?

Very good........maybe I should clarify my points a little....

Only members of the United States Army are called 'Soldiers'.

The U.S. Marines aren't, they are the Marines, & rarely, but sometimes affectionately called 'Leather Necks' or with great reverence 'Gyrines' (I'm one Soldier that learned the hard way about that - I got scars ta prove it too)
The U.S. Coast Guard isn't, they are called the Coast Guard or sometimes informally 'Coasties'.
The U.S. Navy isn't, the are called Navy, or sometimes 'Sailors'.
The U.S. Air Force isn't, they are called the Air Force, or sometimes informally 'Fly Boys'
The National Guard isn't (notice the absence of U.S. -- because they aren't a United States fighting force, they are as Mike said, of the States), they are called 'Guardsmen', or the 'Guard'.

Nope, none of 'em are called 'Soldiers', because that's reserved for only one elite fighting force, the one & only United States Army!

Got it?

Reply #247
Elite fighting force the US Army (groan). Typical US bumming about everything. There are capable units of course but elite as an overall label? Big head stuff yet again and laughed at over the world for it. Even on a parade they look like civilians trying to be soldiers and they don't really march like most global armies but simply walk in step. Even we countries could give you a showing up. Let me remind you that the national Guard has been on overseas service - so do you get it? You can play silly games as you like over the name but it is still "National" and are soldiers or did they go overseas to play games??

On the rare occasions armed police have to be called out here officers don't go off their heads and fir 6 or 11 shots at a person especially when unarmed. Unfortunately people in your corner give the country a bad name and of course the usual trait is to say you don't care which flies in the face of the propaganda stuff. With a country awash with guns on childish reasons and too many police forces who think they can do what they damn like the places is dangerous by this showing. Even in places like N. Ireland where the police do carry a gun due to your terror pals they don't act like the polce in the ex-colonies. So if you want the freedom to have an excuse to gun someone down and in addition pump a series of bullets and not get arrested wear a police uniform.  :(

Reply #248
Is there a policy competency problem?

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2014/dec/24/bitcoin-sex-cliven-bundy-app-stories-you-might-hav/

January 6: Zappos employee Rob Ponte arrives home Monday evening to find his Downtown apartment covered in coroner’s tape—and that he’s been assumed dead most of the day. Police thought Ponte was the dead body they’d found near Towne Terrace apartments that morning. According to Clark County Coroner Mike Murphy, the mix-up came after the apartment manager thought the dead body looked like Ponte, even showing officers a copy of his driver’s license. It could have been cleared up quickly, but no one could reach anyone: Officers tried to call Ponte’s cell phone, but he was in a meeting and missed the call (and his voicemail wasn’t working anyway); and Ponte got a Zappos email asking him to contact detectives, but the call he made went straight to voicemail. Can we suggest something to both the public and the police if this ever happens again? Text! (“Rob. This is Metro. You alive?”)

:D

Reply #249
One tune Rj.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qle5J85-RI[/video]
There are about 780,000 police officers in the U.S. The two I know never shot anybody, as is true for most of the rest.

There is far too much gun violence in the country, though.