Skip to main content
Topic: Is there a police psychology problem?? (Read 113468 times)

Re: Is there a police psychology problem??

Reply #200

In the UK if there is a shooting incident by the police there is an automatic independent review of the circumstances to see if the shooting was justified and some responsibility lies on the policeman who did the shooting to make his justification - I would assume this is still is also the case in the US although I'm not sure about the independent aspect.(?)

.de is supposed to be like that. Except when the victim is an RAF-terrorist, then the investigation will be quietly swept under the rug.

Every major US city has an investigative division, and if an officer's gun is discharged questions will be asked and the officer will be taken off the streets at least while the investigation is carried out.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #201
Shot to kill, shot to wound is becoming the argument. Now it's increasingly questionable if all the shooting is necessary if the suspects are that much of a threat to officers.

This video [/url] shows the police action that led to the man's death. An hour after that part of video was shot, a man died at the hands of the police and committed no crime, expressed his frustration at being harnessed by the police but was not a threat to them. The commentator notes that when Garner complained that he couldn't breath, more force was applied.

Something has gone terribly wrong with policing when low level crimes such as selling loose cigarettes results in death.

Reply #202
Shooting to kill seems to be the norm and not just in America - see here for example - Shoot-to-wound is impossible, says Britain's top cop Sir Ian Blair.

Technically I believe it's called shoot to stop, at least around these parts, although I suppose that's a bit of a euphemism. It means police officers are trained to aim for the torso. Btw, to my knowledge shoot to stop primarily applies if the subject is actually seen carrying a firearm.

Reply #203
Neat of you to try and take the heat off the country with the most militant and gun mad cops. The place has a problem and dear oh dear dear Chicago man the point is what?  What you are trying to do is give a balanced view which is bonkers.No-one including the high up who led it have been charged no compensation for the 200 victims Can it sink in that police always get away with it?  They did in your city for 20 years! Even where they do get "looked at" it is a propaganda exercise and never get charged. Even if someone comes up here with an officer who has been charged it is so minuscule in the face of what IS going on that makes no damn difference.  :faint:
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #204
So, where are the places that teach "shoot to wound"?

Tick-tock-tick-tock.
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #205
Oh dear, it seems I somehow cut out the video of Eric Garner being choked to death by police. Here's him being choked by officers.  Even has he complained of breathing problems, the officers increased their use of force. Shot to kill, shot to wound? What able not applying deadly force in situations when it isn't required.

Reply #206
…didn't Garner die about an hour later, at a hospital?
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #207

…didn't Garner die about an hour later, at a hospital?

Yes, he did.

.....Pantaleo's lawyer and police union officials argued that the grand jury got it right, saying that the officer used an authorized takedown move - not a banned chokehold - against a man who was resisting arrest. And they said Garner's poor health was the main cause of his death. The medical examiner ruled that the chokehold contributed to the death.......

I have seen many exhibitions on various procedures used in taking down a suspect resisting arrest, & I have also watched the various videos related to the take-down in this case.

I can agree that these, what some may report as violent, activities could have contributed to the death of a man resisting arrest, especially if he had numerous health issues. The same would have also been said if the officer copped a coronary, & if he died performing his duty, due to the stress of the struggle.

That said, I find -- IMHO -- it a far reach trying to label the actions taken in this attempted arrest as intentional use of a "deadly force". Contributing to his death most probably, considering the resister's health issues, but any use of deadly force is only in the minds of the MSM who would love that they might exacerbate the issue into an all out hellish 'racial incident', if not redrum.

Oh, btw, RJ   ..........  as I earlier, & MJM has recently demanded   ....."So, where are the places that teach "shoot to wound"?

Tick-tock-tick-tock." 

Or are you, RJ, willing to continue to be known as a lying coward, one who has no regard whatsoever for honesty or the truth?!?  

Be a man, step up & simply admit you made an error -- that there are no such training programs anywhere in the World that promote a policy of "Shoot to Wound".

RJ, come clean ........., this isn't going away.

Tick-tock-tick-tock.

Reply #208
1. You've never had a humble opinion.

2. The cop didn't die.

3. The man did die. Unnecessarily.

4. What are the strangle to wound procedures?

Reply #209
activities could have contributed to the death of a man resisting arrest,

No, because he wasn't resisting arrest. He did complain about his treatment by police but made no move to fight them. When Garner complained of his breathing difficulties, Pantaleo pressed down on him harder. I'm sure Pantaleo didn't mean to kill him, in the same way that if I party too hard on the Strip and runover  a pedestrian I didn't exactly mean to end somebody's life either. Unlike Pantaleo, my poor judgement and its results would land me in jail. However, like me, Pantaleo broke the law. The moves the officer used against Garner were illegal by police regulations. It isn't simply a matter "due to the stress of the struggle." No, it was because the cop used a method known to be dangerous to the suspects and was banned accordingly and Garner's death was ruled a homicide.

As former President GW Bush said "The verdict was hard to understand."

Reply #210
Pantaleo broke the law. The moves the officer used against Garner were illegal by police regulations..........it was because the cop used a method known to be dangerous to the suspects and was banned accordingly

Ok, I've searched for these so called regulations, & specifically relating to the ban on this particular procedure, or any similar, procedure, to no avail??

Outside of just repeating what's already being said, over, & over, where did you find these regulations that include this banned procedure?

Further, does "known to be dangerous to the suspects" mean the same thing as "deadly force"?

The way it's been loosely thrown around, it seems to imply that it does.

Reply #211
You didn't find that regulation from 1993 yet? Keep looking :)

Reply #212
Garner's death was ruled a homicide.

Quote from:      TheFreeDictionary     http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/homicide  

Homicide: The killing of one human being by another human being.

Although the term homicide is sometimes used synonymously with murder, homicide is broader in scope than murder. Murder is a form of criminal homicide; other forms of homicide might not constitute criminal acts. These homicides are regarded as justified or excusable. For example, individuals may, in a necessary act of Self-Defense, kill a person who threatens them with death or serious injury, or they may be commanded or authorized by law to kill a person who is a member of an enemy force or who has committed a serious crime. Typically, the circumstances surrounding a killing determine whether it is criminal. The intent of the killer usually determines whether a criminal homicide is classified as murder or Manslaughter and at what degree.

English courts developed the body of Common Law on which U.S. jurisdictions initially relied in developing their homicide statutes. Early English common law divided homicide into two broad categories: felonious and non-felonious. Historically, the deliberate and premeditated killing of a person by another person was a felonious homicide and was classified as murder. Non-felonious homicide included justifiable homicide and excusable homicide. Although justifiable homicide was considered a crime, the offender often received a pardon. Excusable homicide was not considered a crime.........continued

So, in the broadest of terms, the medical examiner is simply saying that this human beings death was, in his opinion, caused by another human being.

As far as I know, he failed to define, or include, any mitigating circumstances that were related to this finding.

The reason all this is important is because the Grand Jury didn't find reasons enough to require charges to be laid -- the finding of "probable cause" .

Their reasoning may/might be contained somewhere in the above, no?

Reply #213
You didn't find that regulation from 1993 yet? Keep looking

Found a lot of reporting ..... hearsay .....I'm still looking for the actual definitive directive, or regulation.

I'm not saying that there isn't one pertaining to a specific maneuver, but I would like to see the regulation that must define the banned maneuver, the one taught in basic training that is now banned,  in some detail.

From my findings so far, there seems that there is a ban 'of sorts' in effect since 1993 as you alluded to, but it's terms as reported seem to be/are vague.

The NYC Police Department & The Civilian Complaint Review Board are jointly looking for ways to rewrite the vague regulation so that it is completely defined, & can be clearly understood & followed.

I'll let you know when I do find the existing 'actual' regulation, as opposed to all the 'hearsay' reports of one.

Lest I forget......

RJ   ..........  as I earlier, & MJM has recently demanded   ....."So, where are the places that teach "shoot to wound"?

Tick-tock-tick-tock."

Step up, & be a man about it, you either know, or they don't exist, except in yer ole man's imagination.

Reply #214
What is it with you two? I never said that what I said was that there should where shooting is required it should be to wound. Not surprised your government has a concern about education standards dear terrorist supporter of the police state. You are no better in policing than many of the genuine dictators should moan about ot invade.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #215

What is it with you two? I never said that what I said was that there should where shooting is required it should be to wound. Not surprised your government has a concern about education standards dear terrorist supporter of the police state. You are no better in policing than many of the genuine dictators should moan about ot invade.

OK, noted. You made noises about "shoot to wound" but can't back it up with evidence that this is actually taught anywhere. Got it. You hate the United States--- actually, have no use for anybody outside of Glasgow except for your friend Putin. Noted. Ho hum.

Reply #216

OK, noted. You made noises about "shoot to wound" but can't back it up with evidence that this is actually taught anywhere. Got it. You hate the United States--- actually, have no use for anybody outside of Glasgow except for your friend Putin. Noted. Ho hum.

Cut the man some slack. Knowing everything, putting everybody right, hating an entire country, rising reliably to the bait from other posters: it all takes time and energy.
Little wonder he has no interest in putting together a simple declarative sentence. Some people can handle English as a second language and some cannot.

Reply #217

Cut the man some slack. Knowing everything, putting everybody right, hating an entire country, rising reliably to the bait from other posters: it all takes time and energy.
Little wonder he has no interest in putting together a simple declarative sentence. Some people can handle English as a second language and some cannot.
Be nice, sir, be nice.

Reply #218
Found a lot of reporting ..... hearsay .....I'm still looking for the actual definitive directive, or regulation.

Yup, that's a Right problem. Everybody's lying, everybody's wrong except you. Even that half-assed NY Post article indicates that move was banned, despite the fact the the publications is New York's equivalent to the Daily Mail .

The New York Law Journal get's into more detail [/i].

Chokeholds have been limited by the NYPD in some form since at least 1985, when commissioner Benjamin Ward issued the following order:
1. Effective immediately, choke holds, which are potentially lethal and unnecessary, WILL NOT be routinely used by members of the New York City Police Department.
2. Choke holds will ONLY be used if the officer's life is in danger or some other person's life is in danger and the choke hold is the least dangerous alternative method of restraint available to the police officer.1

Before we move onto the 1993 regulation, remember what I said about Patrick J. Lynch of the Police Union claiming Pantaleo was trained to use chokeholds? That turns out to a flat out lie.

Perhaps ironically, New York City police are not trained to use chokeholds because they are prohibited, which creates a greater potential for their tragic misuse.
The article goes on to explain why, which includes variables such as the suspect's physical and mental health. This would seem to include Garner's poor physical condition.

Now onto the regulation itself:

Members of the New York City Police Department will NOT use chokeholds. A chokehold shall include, but is not limited to, any pressure to the throat or windpipe, which may prevent or hinder breathing or reduce intake of air.5

The regulation doesn't seem vague at all.

Chokeholds would seem to be illegal in general, and not just the men in blue.

Changes in Law
In 2010, the state Legislature created a potentially powerful new tool to prevent unlawful chokeholds: the misdemeanor offense of criminal obstruction of breathing or blood circulation.19 The crime, requiring proof of intent to obstruct breathing or blood circulation but without inflicting serious injury, is punishable by up to one year in prison. With the same proof of intent, a defendant can be charged with felony strangulation in the first or second degree if the victim dies or suffers serious injury.20 These offenses were created to address domestic violence situations in which it can be difficult for prosecutors to prove assault for lack of a visible physical injury.

I'm not seeing how Pantaleo was in the right. Garner's eyes were rolling to the back of his head, he complained that he couldn't breathe. Incredibly, I've read commentary that says the fact that he said couldn't breathe was proof that he could. Technically, there does have to be some air flowing in order to speak; but from how he said it one can tell that he was indeed having breathing difficulty. At that point Pantaleo needed to do a quick assessment if was hurting Garner, instead of actually applying more pressure.

Reply #219
You made noises about "shoot to wound" but can't back it up with evidence that this is actually taught anywhere.

It was pretty much made up that Howie said any such thing. It was more like he offered it as a suggestion.

Reply #220
up, that's a Right problem. Everybody's lying, everybody's wrong except you. Even that half-assed NY Post article indicates that move was banned, despite the fact the the publications is New York's equivalent to the Daily Mail .

The New York Law Journal get's into more detail [/i].

Thank you for your clarifications, & referrals.

They were very interesting reading, to say the least. 

As you can see from my posts, all I was looking for was something I wasn't able to put my finger on.....the actual regulation itself (see below), but your numerous corroborating accounts, & quoted statements, leave little doubt.

If what this officer did is considered a choke-hold, then it seems that he's got a bit of explaining to do when the Feds crack down on his ass for sure!

I wonder if they'll drop the ball too?

I'm not saying that there isn't one pertaining to a specific maneuver, but I would like to see the regulation that must define the banned maneuver, the one taught in basic training that is now banned,  in some detail.

From my findings so far, there seems that there is a ban 'of sorts' in effect since 1993 1985 as you alluded to, but it's terms as reported seem to be/are vague.

The NYC Police Department & The Civilian Complaint Review Board are jointly looking for ways to rewrite the vague regulation so that it is completely defined, & can be clearly understood & followed.

......Chief John Timoney elaborated that cops should “basically, stay the hell away from the neck,” except in life-threatening circumstances.

But, as cops were brought up on charges of using illegal chokeholds, both the NYPD and CCRB watered down the standard to give officers a break if complainants suffered no lasting injuries even though their breathing had been restricted.

One result was that cops might well have concluded that chokeholds were generally okay. It would not be surprising if that message plays a role in the Staten Island district attorney’s investigation of Garner’s death, as well as in Pantaleo’s defense, should he be indicted.

Now, Commissioner Bill Bratton and Emery are moving to rewrite the regulations so as to restore the chokehold prohibition while creating necessary exceptions. Banning cops from all contact with the neck is unrealistic.

An officer must be able to apply a chokehold if his or her life is in immediate danger. At the same time, cops should not fear discipline if, say, they grab someone by the back of a jacket or shirt collar to break up a fight or arrest a fleeing felon. Then, too, a cop should be free from penalty if a resistant suspect assaults the officer and, in the tussle, the cop’s arm winds up around the suspect’s neck.

Bratton and Emery must meet the tough challenge of clearly defining for the city’s 35,000 cops those physical restraints that are out of bounds without tangling them in minutiae that will lead to endless second-guessing..........

BTW...this is the same link I originally posted in my prior quoted post.

Thanks again for your post.

The information was surely appreciated.  

Reply #221

You made noises about "shoot to wound" but can't back it up with evidence that this is actually taught anywhere.

It was pretty much made up that Howie said any such thing. It was more like he offered it as a suggestion.

His posts regarding wounding speaks volumes ...... His suggestion(s) is(are) crystal clear ....

Suggests the wounding alternative, which needs to be trained:
......Shoot to <k>iill seems to be the training not wounding in the leg or something but just bullet them......

Again, suggests the wounding alternative, which needs to be trained:
.....Obviously there will be times when the police have to shoot (although wounding would be better).......

Suggests the wounding alternative as a first intention, which needs to be trained:
.......Protecting the people is just a saying and in practice they have almost special unofficial rights in a sense. Too often killing is the first intention not wounding or anything else........

And if you weren't sure before, this is proof positive that he was suggesting a wounding alternative:
........So in Smilet<y>'s mindset shooting to wound isn't on and what a diabolical argument corner that one is!..........

He does suggest, but similarly his suggestion has the implication that it is the rule most everywhere else, & in the USA it isn't even considered as an alternative, when in reality nobody anywhere officially suggests what he suggests as a valid training alternative...........period!!

Now, the only way an officer would utilize RJ's suggested methodology, is if the officers were trained to do so. Otherwise you would have to believe that they simply show up, get a badge & a gun, & are immediately sent off to the streets to make split-second life-death decisions. (Well, maybe in Glassgow, & if they are I will retract all my statements. )

Reply #222
I wonder if they'll drop the ball too?

If the Feds were an NFL team, they would surely make the record books for fumbles. It doesn't matter what the issue is. All too often the police have reputation for being thugs, almost just another gang. With the Micheal Brown case, a common response was to show that Brown was a threat to the officer, and therefore Wilson was justified in shooting him. That's all well and good, and it is important for Brown's family and for Wilson that the truth of the matter be discerned. The other question, the one that I consider equally important, is why the community was so ready to believe Wilson gunned him down in cold blood? I'll leave that open for you to ponder. In the interest of fairness, the evidence isn't conclusive that police do shoot black people more readily than whites. I've seen articles about the same study with different writers walking away with different conclusions, with people paying more attention to the data they want to see. I read the original study myself and found it inconclusive. Civilians and police were asked to push "shoot" or a button not shot based on scenarios in which suspects had a gun or didn't. The civilians shot more readily than the police, regardless of the suspect's race.
His posts regarding wounding speaks volumes ...... His suggestion(s) is(are) crystal clear ....

Well sure. Let's not argue about Howie's words, though. That was just my own quick observation. Of course, if the suspect pulls a weapon on an officer, it would be nonsense to try to shot the weapon out of his hand like in a spaghetti western.

Reply #223
I would point out that in "spaghetti westerns" they aren't actually shooting the gun out of the hand. It's all timing and trick photography, shooting blanks that make noise, strings that jerk the gun out of the bad guy's hand and lots of off-stage doctoring of the scenes to get the final result that you see while eating the popcorn and drinking the way-too-expensive  soft-drink. Given the way they shoot movies, in real time it could be a WEEK between the good guy firing the shot and the gun leaping out of the bad guy's hand--- there's other scenes they shoot in the meantime, lots of work to be done to pull this all together.

Reply #224
The bottom line is simple.

Want a good chance of getting shot, & probably killed?

Step #1 - Break the law.

Step #2 - Resist arrest.

Step #3 - Have a punch out with an officer.

Step #4 - Try to access, & struggle for the officers weapon.

Step #5 - Charge an armed officer  ---  ignoring any & all warnings, putting that officer in fear for his life &/or personal wellbeing.

Now................

Want to have the best chance of a longer life?

Don't follow Steps #1 thru #5, & eat bran muffins.

BTW RJ, it is a 100% sure thing that at no point, if following Steps #1 thru #5, will you be "shot to wound". 

You won't be 'shot to kill' either, but chances are extremely high that you will expire prior to your 'use by date'.

76BB