Skip to main content
Topic: What about SVG support in Otter? (Read 3330 times)

What about SVG support in Otter?

I'm using Otter as regular browser for intranet. Out site uses SVG to draw diagrams. Otter has problems with positioning inline SVG objects, unlike Opera (on the screenshots).

AFAIK, Opera uses own SVG renderer. Don't know about Otter. Is this WebKit issue, Otter itself, or third-party libraries?

Re: What about SVG support in Otter?

Reply #1
The SVG support in Opera/Presto is still top of the line, which is sad. Support has improved tremendously over the past three years in Blink, but unfortunately QtWebKit doesn't share these advances yet. QtWebEngine probably does.

Whether a problem is Otter-specific is easy to check by using test-qtwebkit.exe (or also e.g. QupZilla), which can be found in the zip file. Usually it's QtWebKit.

Reply #2
In QupZilla all OK, the same result as in Opera. In Firefox too.

Reply #3
Oh, test-qtwebkit.exe hangs when I'm logging in to my intranet. Because of it, I cannot reproduce this SVG issue.

Reply #4
Hm, weird. I'm not sure what else to try. :/

Reply #5
@Freeman, have you noticed similar issue on some public webpage?
Or perhaps you could save this page (and modify to remove sensitive parts) so upstream developers could get some test case?
Next weekly should have once again packages for QtWebKit NG, perhaps it won't happen there.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #8
I can confirm the issue, but for me it also occurs in QupZilla. This means it's definitely a QtWebKit issue of some sort, but I don't understand why QupZilla worked for you.

The problem is probably this bug: https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=68995

Since it's marked RESOLVED FIXED I hope that means the 2013-ish version of WebKit in Qt is just too old, and that they haven't incorrectly marked it as resolved. In any case, I know it's fixed in Blink because I reported the bug there: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=262209 My testcase there still unfortunately still fails in Otter and QupZilla.

Reply #9
I can confirm the issue, but for me it also occurs in QupZilla. This means it's definitely a QtWebKit issue of some sort, but I don't understand why QupZilla worked for you.
I just downloaded latest version of QupZilla from their site and run with my test bundle posted above.

Then went to your link, copied the sample with piano from that bugreport and opened it with Opera 12, Firefox, Otter and QupZilla. Got proper result from all browsers except Otter.

Reply #10
Ah, but you're using QupZilla with QtWebEngine. Right, I should've known. :) Otter will also display it correctly if you use the QtWebEngine backend, although unfortunately it has some disadvantages unrelated to correctly rendering webpages. You could consider giving it a try, see if it works well enough for you.

Reply #11
Tried Otter 131 with QtWebEngine, but cannot login on my intranet site. Have to return to WebKit-based.

Reply #12
@Freeman, could you please compare that with -qtwebkitng package (now they reside in experimental directory, together with QtWebEngine packages)?
As noted by Frenzie, that upstream fix could be too "fresh" for legacy QtWebKit, unless it got cherry picked or that issue was caused by something different.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.