Skip to main content
Topic: Intellectual debate on DnD (Read 19562 times)

Intellectual debate on DnD

Is the intellectual debate on DnD meaningful here...elsewhere?  And if so, to whom?  Is it merely entertainment for the members?  Perhaps a mental exercise to stay intellectually fit, or maybe just a chance to show off what we got--or don't got?   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Re: Intellectual debate on DnD

Reply #1
Elsewhere.

Reply #2
I'm always trying to understand somebody else's point of view. I can't see many here doing the same. But it has been good to me. I've learned a lot.

(BTW, when I ask questions and I "don't got" answers, I stay in the void.)

Reply #3
But it has been good to me. I've learned a lot.
Ganda mentiroso... :lol:
(I said Barulheira is a joker/lier)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #4

discourse is human habit since Baheulheia Age .
and People get smarter ,  because they  socialize  .

since with socialize and discourse they can trading information , knowledge , experience , etc .
with the results , they know which are works , or which are do not works .

on the other hand ,    I don't think we can chit - chat at the coffee shop, karaoke club  , nor at the campfire ,  etc.

because there is distance gap in here .

Reply #5

I'm always trying to understand somebody else's point of view. I can't see many here doing the same. But it has been good to me. I've learned a lot.

Yes I would go along with that, I've learnt a lot too. ... about strongly held views of different types, for example in the Opera D&D about certain what I would term over-the-top views on Religion. Normally they were views where there was nothing in common with my own, but they were often the most informative.

Then there is the process of learning what one thinks oneself, which is not always obvious unless you have to defend your opinions against someone else.

There is a huge advantage in having, therefore, people that you don't agree with participating in the forum.

,,, and most of us like a good argument.

So bring back neo-fascist Buddhist fundamentalist, left-of-communist advocates and gun-voting vigilantes - all good stuff for a healthy debate.

God save our most Glorious Queen. Wonder where he went!

Intellectual? No - don't do intellectual.

Reply #7
I think his screen-name was Pesala… He was a Brit and a monk, but not Christian - rather, Buddhist.
He'd done some good work customizing pre-Chrome Opera browsers, and -sometimes-responded to questions from others… (In his world-view, I'm not sure there is any room for "others"… :) ) He has not "migrated" to DnD, as far as I can tell.

But he never rejected the "better never to have been born" response to the human condition, that traditional Buddhism espouses. (No, Belfrager, that doesn't mean "marries"… Linguistic similarities are only hints, and you have to be smarter than the hinters! Or at least as smart.)

What Pesala said was simple: Die; die. Die, even if you don't have to…That's what you were meant to do.

(That's unfair, in the sense that he never put it that way. But it's also quite fair — in the sense that he has no argument against it; indeed, he has argued for it: Gautama is dead — and not— and since we worship ******** we should emulate him!
Why?)
—————————————————————————————————————
I don't expect him to return: He doesn't like discourse; he prefers lecturing… (I do, too! But noone will let me get away with such, here! :) )
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #8
(No, Belfrager, that doesn't mean "marries"… Linguistic similarities are only hints, and you have to be smarter than the hinters! Or at least as smart.)

Are you trying to teach me something? really?
Had I the patience for explaining you the difference about the latin meaning of the root words of "espouse" and "marry" and you'll learn who needs to learn something here. But I don't have such patience, your lucky day. :)
What Pesala said was simple

I know perfectly who's pesala. I'm curious about the neo-fascist adjective. I doubt very much he could even know what the fascist doctrine is about.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #9
Entertainment.......
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #10
Entertainment.......

Ahh, you returned. Good, now on you deal with our American friends, I did it in your absence, someone had to keep the flame lightened up.
My posts were better than yours, by the way. Much better. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #11
Ah-ha. Kind of voting for yourself Belfrager?! I will assume a slight touch of panic due to me being missing. But never fear one doesn't need a sharp sword to puncture America do we as it is so damn easy!  :D

Reply #12
From Times Literary Supplement, August 7

(Herbie) "Hancock responded to both success and criticism in a non-hierarchical, non-linear, post-modern way."
Discuss.

Reply #13
"Hancock responded to both success and criticism in a non-hierarchical, non-linear, post-modern way."
Discuss.

Why discuss? This video says it all.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHhD4PD75zY[/video]

Reply #15
You are fortunate Belfrager being my favourite red socks man.

Reply #16

Reply #17
Don't think the Pope wears that type.

Reply #18
Actual Papal stockings.

Reply #20
Well he is a Yank so explains much.

Reply #21

I am the opposite about staying in the void and I consider it a character flaw, maybe even a personality disorder (I think they have pills for that).  You are cool while I get hot--different personalities we have (I sound like Yoda), for god knows how many reasons.  I am not the intellectual that I see others here as--and I may be wrong about that because I am not even intellectually capable of making that judgement. 

I get somewhat of a feel for people here, but I (James), need personal contact to read a person well and for them to read me in return and thus have a meaningful exchange of ideas.  Intellectual debate on DnD is much like talking heads.  Too, too....something--maybe too disconnected or dispassionate.  I am a people in-person-person and I need to look at you to understand you.  That's just me and maybe not you.   :knight: :cheers:

James J

Reply #22
Is the intellectual debate on DnD meaningful here...elsewhere?  And if so, to whom?  Is it merely entertainment for the members?  Perhaps a mental exercise to stay intellectually fit, or maybe just a chance to show off what we got--or don't got?

This should give you some idea. The Scot is into Yank bashing.
Well he is a Yank so explains much.

The Portuguese is into criticizing posts about other people's posts.
He certainly knows what to post at a thread called "Intellectual debate on DnD"...

============================
The thread was a nice idea, but it appears that it doesn't work well. And I'm one of the guilty parties.

Reply #23
Haha. Could be equal to  Edinburgh bashing but is is so easy to bash across the pond. Haha and maybe too blinking easy by far which tells you something about the ex-colonies.  :lol:

Reply #24
Howie, with your level of ignorance, everything is easy! :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)