Skip to main content

Poll

Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to own, carry, & use Firearms to defend their own lives, & the lives of their family & friends?

Absolutely Yes!
I thinks so.
I don't think so.
Definitely No!
My name isn't String, so let me have a icy cold beer so I can ponder the options...
Topic: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms? (Read 330847 times)

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #1125
10,700 were gun related homicides, or  0.0041201497270112%   (again, less than 1/2 of 1% of all deaths)

1/2 of 1% = 0,5%
0,004% is one hundred times less than 0,5%.

I doubt it very much. The devil hides in the details.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #1126
Oh dear the hypocrisy of Smiley!

One does not have to be of the "left2 to be a gun hater so says much about nutjobland and the so-called democracy. It is a dangerous place and one day the massive gun total will reach the population total. Every time there is a mass shooting spree the answer from the Smiley world is "more guns." Shows the infantile and pathetic childishness of so many over the pond. Between a gun happy police and populationI am not surprised going to school is so dam dangerous. Even the government is well aware of the high proportion of mental cases in the country. One expert wondered if it was because many do no manage to reach that silly "American Dream" guff so slip ino mental problems.

People onn death row for years, people invited to come and watch executions/ Talk about being out of date. Anyway being on death row for years is scandalous and the legal system is as bad as the free-for-all on guns. pathetic.

Remember this about Smiley.

Ye yaps on about the left but for decades it was the "right" who hung, shot and done in blacks. And her is another reminder for someone who shouts about being anti left. He supports the Sinn Fein, murderous scum who even murdered in their own communities and what are they but VERY LEFTIST!

What a contradiction and maybe the 2.3 million in jails is a mistake?? Dear, oh dear, a land full of mental midgets.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #1127
Ye yaps on about the left but for decades it was the "right" who hung, shot and done in blacks.
Howie means -if he knows what he's talking about- the southern Democrats…who, not being Bolsheviks, are on the "right" — to him! :)
(How one can acquire so much ignorance —without credentialed help— is beyond me…)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #1128
Look boy, sober up and read. I indicated Smiley yakking about the left when he actually supports the near Marxist Sinn Fein jaw draggers. Understand - maybe? Hypocrisy with a capital H. And here is the latest news from the land of the free and home of the brave where grown ups act like children with guns. This time it is children.

It seems an 11 year old boy in nutjobland shot  the girl next door because she would not let him se a puppy. It is not so much a free country but a damn free for all with guns.

Reply #1129

10,700 were gun related homicides, or  0.0041201497270112%   (again, less than 1/2 of 1% of all deaths)

1/2 of 1% = 0,5%
0,004% is one hundred times less than 0,5%.

I doubt it very much. The devil hides in the details.

Do the math ......  10,700 gun related homicides  in that year   divided by  2,596,993  people who died in the USA  from all causes in that year.    

10,700  ÷  2,596,993  =   0.0041201497270112%  which is .004% 

(one percent = .010%)
Percentages (link)

So, when I say Firearms have caused less than 1/2 of one percent of all the deaths in America, you now know where I got that fact from. The left would want you to believe that the numbers are astronomical, but when you look at the big picture you see it for what it actually is. I hope I've put a little different prospective on the subject to help you understand while heavy hearts go out to those that die, firearms are actually used far, far more times to save & defend lives (+/- 2.5 million times a year) than they are used to take them.

On a lighter note .....Bel..... I know the higher math decimal concept has challenged the Iberian Peninsular down the centuries, but this is second grade stuff here. 

Slip off both shoes .... wiggle yer toes ,,,, that might help ....

Reply #1130

Oh dear the ..........             

Remember this about ..............                                 

[glow=yellow,2,300]God Bless the IRA Freedom Fighters
[/glow]

The Snipers Promise.mp3

[glow=yellow,2,300]God Bless the IRA Freedom Fighters
[/glow]

[glow=yellow,2,300]An Ghaoth a Bhogann an Eorna

Reply #1131
Now all you ex-colonists who groad when I show American hypcrisy the way the country is run and what it imperialistically does in the world we get this reminder.

Smiley supports murderous, evil gangsters who also murdered anyone in their own areas they didn't like. Very democratic and fair isn't it?  Yet Smiley who is a right winger knuckle-dragger supports a lot of scum of the earth who are very far left-wing - a philosophy he condemns here on these forums. It is blatant hypocrisy of the top level and menatl midget  and ross thinking.  What makes it more disgracefully ignorant is that the vast majority of people living south of the Ulster border want to keep that scum he supports away as they have long seen what they did up north and here on the mainland.

That smart alex, Tony Blair forced that Belfast Assembly at Stormont and it is a disgrace to allow the evil to be involved on the Assembly. They would never have won force-wise and it makes a mockery of the system. A leading Democratic Unionist Assembly member was so right when he said recently that they hold their noses to the smell in having to association with a bunch of terrorist degenerates. Smiley has marched himself into the same smell. The Provisionals/SF knew they could not win and stupid Blair gave them the opportunity to drag them into the political side.

There will never be a unite Ireland so get used to it chum and you disgrace yourself in your association with terrorists that are as i have said so left wing.

Reply #1132
Now all you ex-colonists who groad when I show American hypcrisy the way the country is run and what it imperialistically does in the world we get this reminder.
(I'll go back and read the rest of your post, RJ… But first I'd make a comment.) You and your countrymen made the IRA by centuries of abuse… Do you deny that?
You're not one that should be talking about hypocrisy…
(Okay. I've read the rest now.)
So:
Very democratic and fair isn't it?
Is murder somehow better, when most people approve? (The KKK in America's south was very democratic, and Democratic!)
That smart alex, Tony Blair forced that Belfast Assembly at Stormont and it is a disgrace to allow the evil to be involved on the Assembly. They would never have won force-wise and it makes a mockery of the system.
Has it not yet occurred to you, that the "system" you refer to is deficient; and such travesties are to be expected from such? :)
"So left wing" you call the Irish you don't like… But they're much the same as Scotsmen, to those viewing from beyond their shores — and understanding beyond their ken!
进行 ...

Reply #1133
No I don't agree Oakdale that we made things difficult for the Irish they did that themselves.

Let me remind you that most were in practical terms illiterate because the men in black - that Church you know were determined to control aspects of life and control. That continued after they got independence and in that after period people would often hang about the doors of the house where a squad of priests lived in comfort and  good food for any scraps to be brought out. Indeed very often any negative landowners included RC Irish. When Scots and english sttlers went over there to the Emerald Isle they created farms,improved things and in turn the linen industry from a start black. The natives couldn't do that because of the almost prehistoric attitude of the Church and its' determination to control. And here is another thing.

When that horrible rebellion broke out in 1797 there were some Protestants who joined the United Irishmen because of the status of the Anglicans but they very quickly got out as the rebels carried black flags with a cross on them and the initials "MWS." That was to indicate murder without sin as Prots were regarded as heretics and what do you know - that Roman Church was right behind the damn thing! And don't be tempted to give us any keech about the Famine as that thing effected both Unionists as well as the opposition.

For years after 1922 the country was still rooted in the same old way and wass rescued by joining the European Union and getting money from the - and us (7 billion of a loan). Ireland and Britain are now closer than ever becaue the modern irish are educated, took on the RC Church and it's vast moral and political corruption (it used to run the nation behind the government front). So i respect modern Southern Ireland but I don't respect the Sinn Fein nor the parts of the Ulster community on the old side of things. They are of the same tradition are the Sinn Fein as the Fenians were in America when that lot of head bangers went around killing and destroying. I wil give the RC Church it's due in that it roundly condemned those forerunners of the SF.

As for systems you have a part system and you really have a damn nerve the way your country is run and the mass problems in it to point at anyone else. And we are still getting pope bombs, beatings and shootings from former SF who are in continuing groups so the mentality of that thinking is as obvious as can be. The Sinn FeinIS very left wing and all those damn idiots over in America who funded them coming from a strong economical and capitalist background gave hypocrisy the capital letter. There are 2 political parties in Ulster from the traditional Irish RC side. Sinn Fein and the Social Democratic Labour Party. The SDLP is totally against violence and can attract the decent people even of an old Irish and RC attitude but that there are many who vote for that violent, despicable lot the SF is a damn disgrace.

As I point out the modern Ireland is so vastly different and generally a better place since the Church was put in a corner and got more modern and wider too. The SF is down there too but the bulk of the folk in the South would not want the SF minds of the North in their country as part of a united Ireland. I warmly applaud that but you lot over the pond espceially with some emotional reduced grey cells from an irish influence are as dope as Trump. Ireland even had a Referendum and what did they do? They dropped the part of their Consitution that laid claim to the 6 Counties in Northern Ireland. Well done to them  and a complete difference from people (like you!) who live in the past and warp history to suit yourself.

Northern Ireland will remain Brisitsh so get used to it and stop warping history.

No Surrender!  :knight: :hat:

Reply #1134
Quote from: SF
(one percent = .010%)

How novel!

Reply #1136
Northern Ireland will remain Brisitsh so get used to it and stop warping history.
Hm. Didn't you claim (in this very post…) that the "nut cases" were from the "British" counties? :)
Seriously, RJ: Your history and memory both are quite bad. Likewise, your prejudices.

But I was amused to hear you call others illiterate! :)
进行 ...

Reply #1137

Quote from: SF
(one percent = .010%)

How novel!

Any relevant point, or are you just whispering sweet nothings in my ear to show your appreciation? 

I presume you did not yet spot the howler you made. I was pointing it out in a humorous  way without resorting to actually calling others mathematically ignorant.

Lighten up!

Reply #1138
OK. I spotted the problem. Smiley, you shouldn't have added the % after the .010. That % changed the entire thing, now it's not one percent, but one one hundredth of a percent.

.01= one percent.

.01% = one hundredth of a percent. That misplaced % is dynamite. Of course, if you were right in that, you'd have a situation where gun violence is so insignificant that nobody would pay attention to it.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #1139
 :faint:
A matter of attitude.

Reply #1140
Actually, in most situations, one percent is written with a whole number-- 1%.

The reason I could even think of representing .01 as one percent is to assume that in this instance, the whole number 1 would represent 100%. In that case, .01 is 1% of the whole number one.

Now we have to deal with the fact that someone with such a frightening concept of basic math--- is armed. I think I will sleep a little less well tonight.
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #1141
Now we have to deal with the fact that someone with such a frightening concept of basic math--- is armed. I think I will sleep a little less well tonight.

Well, I probably wouldn't trust Smiley with my accounting anyways. I don't think that says much on how well he can use a tool though.

Reply #1142
Glad I have my accountants do all my important mathematical calculations. I'm not too bad at math, but conveying the outcomes on paper is where I seem to sometimes lose the plot.

Mike, after reading your post & then calling Howard (my accountant) to verify, yer 110% correct ( that's 10% over 100%). 

Please......anyone who was totally confused by my adding in that % sign where it shouldn't have been, my deepest apologies.

For those that spotted it (them), & ignored it (them) because it was/they were so obviously incorrect, I tip my hat to you.

The math itself was correct, & in writing my statement of "....less than 1/2 of 1% of all deaths....." in it's written form, as written, was correct.

So, again, I'm sorry my errant % sign confused way too many people.  ;)

PS.......I haven't lost the knack on dialing in my scope with the correct calculations. I can still split a hair on a fly's ass from 600 yards. So if yer a fly, best start flyin!

Reply #1143
Well done SF, you said once that the way to deal with a mistake, once recognised, is to deal with it straight away, so kudos for that.

Didn't know you were cruel to flies tho! ;).

Reply #1144

Well done SF, you said once that the way to deal with a mistake, once recognised, is to deal with it straight away, so kudos for that.

Didn't know you were cruel to flies tho! ;).

Thanks String 

As fer the flies, well next time one of them lil black bassards lands on mom's finest roast, look over to the dog, then to the yard, then just envision where he dined last! 

Reply #1145
Now, all that said, I'll try it again (if you don't mind):

According to the United Nations, 2,473,018 people died in the United States in 2008.

That comes to  about 6,775 deaths per day.  

Of those 2,473,018 deaths from all causes 12,200  were gun related homicides,  or  0.0049332435105608 (less than 1/2 of 1% of all deaths)

http://unstats.un.org/unsd/demographic/products/vitstats/serATab3.pdf

According to the CDC ... Center for Disease Control,   2,596,993 people died
from all causes in the U.S.A. in 2013.

That comes to about 7,115 deaths per day.

Of those 2,596,993 deaths from all causes 10,700 were gun related homicides, or  0.0041201497270112    (again, less than 1/2 of 1% of all deaths)

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

As I've said before, I will again repeat, Freedom don't come free.

Mad men will shoot a few here & there from time to time, but legislation has yet to be devised that will absolutely stop a mad man intent on mass destruction, whether it be with explosives, fire, or firearms.

We Americans accept the cost of Freedom, sometimes with very heavy hearts, but as a Nation we strive to better educate our citizens in hopes of further reducing that cost....the cost of being free.

America has turned the corner years ago, & even in light of record firearm ownership & sales, America's major city murder rates drop precipitously.

It's predicted that this trend will continue even amidst the actions of the occasional mad man, or the rancorous protest from RJ & his ignorant cohorts on the gun-hating left.

Reply #1146
It's predicted that this trend will continue even amidst the actions of the occasional mad man, or the rancorous protest from RJ & his ignorant cohorts on the gun-hating left.

It's been suggested that there's a strong correlation between taking lead out of gasoline and crime rates going down (including murder).

Reply #1147

It's been suggested that there's a strong correlation between taking lead out of gasoline and crime rates going down (including murder).

It has also been suggested (I just did I it) that there is a strong correlation between putting lead (figuratively speaking) into human beings and those dying of gunshot wounds.

Reply #1148

There could be something to that. They started taking tetraethyl lead out of gasoline in the 1970s. By 1980 or thereabouts, it was impossible to buy leaded fuel anywhere except for certain marine uses and small aircraft. By the turn of the century--- leaded fuel wasn't available, period.

Lead is a poison that affects the mind in negative ways, so there could be quite a bit to the idea that getting lead out of gasoline decreased the murder rate--- among other things.

Reply #1149
Who cares about how much people are killed by guns? aren't guns intended to kill people??
What a bunch of sissies.

Cars kills more than guns and no one conplains.
A matter of attitude.