Skip to main content
Topic: Democracy in America… (Read 69168 times)

Re: Democracy in America…

Reply #50

While not a formal Constitution, not even a Constitutional Letter, there's a document written back at the early 12th century when Portugal fought the Kingdom of Leon and turned independent. Our first King, King Afonso I, immediately reunited "Courts" for the fist time in Portugal, being present the three "states" - nobility, clergy and people.
They made a document, known as the "Shout of Almacave", that states this particular phrase:

We are free, our King is free and by our own hands we have liberated ourselves.

That, my friend, it's the only Constitution you'll ever need and generations to come never forget.

Another kind of constitution is a phrase in the Russian earliest chronicle, repeated by later chroniclers:

"Our land is wide and rich, but there's no order in it. Come and rule over us."

This was said by Slavic (Russian) tribal ambassadors to the rulers of some people called Varjags in the land of "Rus'", assumed to be Vikings in Sweden. So three Viking princes came and this is how the land of Russians acquired its name and order :)

This was the beginning of the Rurik dynasty as chronicled. Russians of course are not fond of this history of their constitution at all and hide from it by decorating themselves with the Byzantian inheritance.

Reply #52
Unfortunately for Portugal, rebelling against it's monarchy was a big historical mistake.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #53
I wonder what America would be like if it had a genuine democracy?

Reply #54
Unfortunately for Portugal, rebelling against it's monarchy was a big historical mistake.

Better to look to your simulacrum of a dynasty before looking to others.

Our King died in an abject double regicide while exposing his chest and so did the heiring Prince to the criminal bullets, not the sad spectacle your dynasty gives to the world.
Don't start irritating me.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #55

It wouldn't have made it as far as it has. The problem with pure democracy is that it lasts only until the public realizes it can vote itself a largess, at which time the treasury goes broke.

We're nearly there now as it is, with the public and the politicians elected by the public failing to realize that money has to come from somewhere. You want all those goodies, somebody has to pay for that. So--- we have Democrats that never saw a spending program they didn't like, and Republicans who will vote for tax cuts every time they get power. What do you think will happen next?
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #56
Well it was your fellow countrymen dear poor Belfrager so don't get jealous or miffed. Your own doing.

Must say mjsmsprt40 America is not a real democracy it is a word used to falsely describe the present system. Two giant parties who ensure no-one else gets a look in and both funded by billions and no restriction. Small wonder as I said a time back that your President Eisenhower warned about the money men running things. That has happened. It is not just the poor working class over there who have to have more than one job in a fast food place or other it are those above them. Indeed the gap between has financially grown like Topsy to ridiculous proportions and something that wasn't as bad decades ago. Instead of spending money inside the country you spend it on a political and military empire striding the world. Pointless and utterly ridiculous when so many are suffering within. That Detroit is like it is (my separate thread) in a would-be progressive country is a disgrace and something that would happen in a Third World scenario.

Even watching how Red China has been improving itself so quickly (and you owe so much money too!) shows that the form og government is an arguable point! There are plenty of decent and sensible people over the pond but the nation has been hi-jacked by both big baron political parties and you just have to note that number of people big companies linking to their agents on the Hill runs into at least 5-figures.  Mind you, i do feel for the decent and loyal who have seen their country manipulated by the money men and it is a disgrace that a basic decent people are being misused by the finance brigade for their own end and not the people nor country. Democracy has been hi-jacked!

Reply #57

I don't know how many times you gotta be told, but contrary to your European opinion, we don't have, nor do we want what is in your opinion a 'real' democracy.  We've been doing just fine with our Constitutional Republic for over 235 years, which is based on basic democratic principals, but it is not a democracy by your European standards...... thank God ......it was never, ever meant to be from day one in 1776 ---- & that sits just fine with us too.

Reply #58
I don't know how many times you gotta be told, but contrary to your European opinion, we don't have, nor do we want what is in your opinion a 'real' democracy.  We've been doing just fine with our Constitutional Republic for over 235 years, which is based on basic democratic principals, but it is not a democracy by your European standards...... thank God ......it was never, ever meant to be from day one in 1776 ---- & that sits just fine with us too.

Yeah, but his complaint (before the anti-american rant) was the influence of money and power on elections, which Eisenhower warned about (the military -industrial complex) and the fact that it's virtually impossible for anyone not identifying as a Democratic or Republican to hold national office. These are valid concerns.

Reply #59

The USA, yes… But increasingly approaching the other alternative.
With the adoption of the 17th Amendment, the US Senate became little more than the UK's House of Lords… (The effect of "popular election" was to dissipate the influence of state legislatures and governors. Thus was the 10th Amendment, finally, obviated!) Similarly, the Executive branch has -by its numerous Agencies, Bureaus and Departments- encroached upon matters great and small, simply because they can. And, of course, there are examples of the Judiciary's excesses…
If these qualms don't give you quivers, you're either far removed from their effects or far more complaisant with their entrenchment.
Please note: When most Americans speak of our Republic, we mean: A constitutional, presidential, separation-of-powers, federalist thing-a-ma-bob…! You're excused, if you don't readily understand. And we're excused, if we can't quite make you… :)

Canada, no. It is a parliamentary system — the ruling party is entitled to rule! [...]

Australia is a difficult case: [...]

The UK is the exemplar of parliamentary government. It is not and likely never will be a republic. Their history of class divisions will always "inform" their politics, either in ascendence, decadence or reaction.
The "problem" with parliamentary systems is that they try to approximate majority rule.

No doubt, I've not satisfied you, jax: You want me to explain our way of life — by giving a glib definition of a single term, republic… Our history shows that we've not secured such a simplistic explanation.
But, when contrasted with another often-thought-to-be synonymous term, democracy, we bristle! And you become confused… (Or think us un-sophisticated! If you're aware of that word's dirivation, you know we're not offended. :) ) To us, democracy is synonymous with majority rule. And that principle is odious, since it doesn't comport with liberty — except accidentally: We meant to be deliberate…

Thanks for an answer with a bit of substance, finally (and sorry for late answer, but this seems like a long game anyway).

No, I don't think many believe that republic and democracy is the same thing, though some may attach different meanings to the two words. Like you do. It's not too hard to adjust for that, when you make clear(er) what you mean.

Quote from: Lewis Carroll
"When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master— that's all."

Democracy, as lampooned as the dictatorship of the majority, didn't exist when the Athenians  coined the words, didn't exist when the US founding fathers wrote their tracts, and doesn't exist for any countries today. The only example I can think of as relevant would be referenda like the one of Scottish independence and Californian ballot propositions. All the criticism of "democracy" apply here, governance by referenda would be an atrocious system.

In your vocabulary republic excludes a parliamentary system, that is fair and fine, we can discuss the merits and demerits of parliamentary and presidential systems. Most liberal democracies tend toward either one of them or some strange mix of the two (sorry for "liberal democracy" containing the D word, I am willing to use "liberal thing-a-ma-bob"; if you object to "liberal" as well, feel free to substitute "lawish" or what-have-you).

All liberal democracies (lawish thing-a-ma-bobs) have separation of powers, each in different ways, most have a constitution (among obscure national claims, Sweden claims to be the country with the oldest constitution, but that constitution is no longer in use). Federalist is an odd requirement. It is obvious for the United States, that lies in the name, but if e.g. Scotland actually had become an independent country a few days ago and decided to become an OakdaleFTLish republic would it need to artificially create states to do so?

Reply #60
is this only in here or Democracy is just LaBel without contents ?

that seems more like Plutocracy , Mobocracy like Oak said .

nor kleptocracy .  :ko:

Reply #61
The trouble with you SmileyFaze is you don't see what is what only what is in your cumfy corner. The system has not been working so brilliantly for all those years at all and trying to claim your idea is better than real democracy is something else. The incredible trillions of debt, half the world expenditure on armaments, tens of millions of poor, a million a year losing homes, salaries of the less off hardly moving while the gap at the top and bottom has mushroomed. A political system carved up by two parties that get unlimited money from corporates to do their bidding. Wanting to rule the world or batter those that object into submission, argue over rights, constitution, freedoms, rights incessantly. in your blinkered vision all those who lose a home, get unemployed, get a hard time have rights infringed deserve it. When you consider how big these issues are I don't know how you can rest easy on being such a wonderful place.

There are millions who have had their loyalty misused and treated awfully. Constant interference with the person, using security as an excuse for more controls. Now the security lot over there have taken umbrage at mobile phone makers creating encryption for their phones! You couldn't make this up!  What you should do is just declare an dictatorship instead of working towards it gradually.  The last place in modern Western lif eto be suddenly poor is the land of the free and home of the brave.

Reply #62
RJH-- real democracy can't exist for long. It can't exist for the very simple reason that unfettered mob rule would quickly bankrupt the system as people voted themselves largess after largess.

It can't exist for much the same reason an anarchic system-- if such a thing could exist outside of Somalia-- could long exist. Anarchy quickly breaks down into rule by warlords, with each tribe trying to kill off the others until one rises supreme and has power to enforce its dictates on everybody else.

What's left then, is some form of monarchy, or some form of dictatorship, or some form of democratically elected republic. Not much else has stood long.

In truth, the constitutional republic the United States is supposed to have was a chancy thing, only a couple of other peoples have had anything like it before-- the Greeks and the Romans-- and the Roman experiment showed the tendency for this to break down into dictatorship. We've been dangerously close to that a few times, and I have to say I'm not terribly comfortable with the way things are shaping up now. Those $%&# executive orders that Obama has been using to side-step Congress can all too easily lead to one man running the show unless the president can be checked by the courts. Executive orders have their place, but using them to make end-runs around the Congress-- just ain't right.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #63
Democracy, as lampooned as the dictatorship of the majority, didn't exist when the Athenians  coined the words

Socrates might have disagreed… But he was put to death.
I think your definition of "dictatorship" is what's lacking in particulars; not my definition of "democracy"…
I understand why you want a "pure" definition (of republic). The concept is outside of your experience…at least, the way Americans would use it; and translation is sometimes deucedly difficult. But the impediments need not be considered insurmountable: Our differences are all reasonably understandable.
By contrast, were I try to try to explain to Howie why the U.S. isn't and shouldn't want to be a democracy in his sense, I'd have undertaken a fool's errand! :)

BTW: I'm not sure I mentioned the explicit embrace of the concept of limited government our Constitution enshrines… (Yeah. I meant the word! And -as we all know- idols are, at best, transitory.) Without this, such a republic as ours cannot survive long…

It seems you mistake my intent: I don't mean to denigrate other forms of government (for other peoples); nor do I mean to recommend ours to them. I'm primarily concerned with the preservation of our own system, as I understand it. (You know, that old "defend against enemies foreign and domestic" oath I took so long ago… :) ) When I descry dangerous "innovations" and decry them, my aim is a conservative one: The continuation of our experiment.
You may not feel the same as I would, about the process of its abandonment…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #64
It can't exist for much the same reason an anarchic system-- if such a thing could exist outside of Somalia-- could long exist. Anarchy quickly breaks down into rule by warlords, with each tribe trying to kill off the others until one rises supreme and has power to enforce its dictates on everybody else.

That's a common argument against Democracy, but the same thing has happened in the past with constitutional republics. Exhibit A: After the French revolution there was briefly a constitutional monarchy followed by constitutional republic. That was followed by a dictatorship (Napoleon.) China became a Republic after the fall of the monarchy. The Republicans fled to Formosa and the communist dictatorship took hold on the mainland. Do I have to mention what happened to the Weimar Republic? Those are just examples off the top of my head. There are certainly numerous other examples throughout history of Republics devolving into tyrannies; Latin America seems like a good place to start (yes, most of the countries are free now but had undergone military coups , etc in the 20th century after adopting a system of government that was basically a copy of the American one.)

So based on history, it seems a mistake to call Constitutional Republics inherently stable. I submit that it's more the economic/ social situation within a country that determines its stability more than type of government. Where the American system is breaking down is that you have Senators and Representatives paying lip service to their constituents' concerns, but are really representing the mega-corporations - especially since the Citizen's United decision. (Incidentally, since the corporations are people, there's been studies indicting that most of them would be sociopaths. So do you put GM, Bank of America, etc in prison or in an asylum. Oh that's right. If I commit a crime, that would the expected outcome; but if a mega-corporation commits crimes they get a taxpayer bailout.)
Those $%&# executive orders that Obama has been using to side-step Congress can all too easily lead to one man running the show unless the president can be checked by the courts. Executive orders have their place, but using them to make end-runs around the Congress-- just ain't right.

Okay, you're showing signs of understanding what I said above. But is the crap about Obama's executive orders GOP propaganda? This is slightly old, but as of January 31, 2014 Obama the "dictator" signed. 168 executive orders compared to Bush's 291. Snopes debunked the Obama executive orders bullshit . At the bottom of article, it lists the number of executives orders of all presidents since Theodore Roosevelt. In fact, Obama signed fewer executive orders than any two term president since the time of Teddy (1901.) I hate to say this, but this know nothing, do nothing Tea Party Congress frankly needs to be bypassed. In many other countries, the chief executive would have dissolved this Congress. Since Smiley and Oakdale are easily confused, I'm not saying this should be done. I'm merely pointing out how ludicrous is to even think about calling this president a dictator.
only a couple of other peoples have had anything like it before-- the Greeks and the Romans

The Athenians, did in fact, have direct Democracy for the free male citizens. It was the type of Democracy that the founding father's so feared, not democracy as we understand it today (with a constitution that prohibits the 51% majority from trampling the 49% minority.) On the state levels, in America we often get tastes of direct Democracy, ie with voters casting ballots in favor or opposed to laws and not just state constitutional amendments. Funny thing though. When some of those laws voted on by the people wound up being overturned on constitutional grounds, many "America is a republic not a democracy" people went online and complained that the "will of the people" had been overturned by the courts (never mind that in some cases, the "will of the people" had changed in the interim according to all polling data.) Hypocrisy anyone? I'm NOT saying that on the Federal Level America is or even should be a direct democracy. merely that direct democracy does exist in America.

Reply #65
at least Meritocracy is originally from China .

or is that  just ?

"My life is full of lie "  :sst:

Reply #66

I think your definition of "dictatorship" is what's lacking in particulars; not my definition of "democracy"…
I understand why you want a "pure" definition (of republic). The concept is outside of your experience…at least, the way Americans would use it; and translation is sometimes deucedly difficult. But the impediments need not be considered insurmountable: Our differences are all reasonably understandable.
By contrast, were I try to try to explain to Howie why the U.S. isn't and shouldn't want to be a democracy in his sense, I'd have undertaken a fool's errand! :)

BTW: I'm not sure I mentioned the explicit embrace of the concept of limited government our Constitution enshrines… (Yeah. I meant the word! And -as we all know- idols are, at best, transitory.) Without this, such a republic as ours cannot survive long…

It seems you mistake my intent: I don't mean to denigrate other forms of government (for other peoples); nor do I mean to recommend ours to them. I'm primarily concerned with the preservation of our own system, as I understand it. (You know, that old "defend against enemies foreign and domestic" oath I took so long ago… :) ) When I descry dangerous "innovations" and decry them, my aim is a conservative one: The continuation of our experiment.

For all of these, including the US founding fathers, it was all theory, not observation. It is like a group of virgins discussing the merits of sex. That was two hundred and two score years ago or so. Much has happened since, from basically no liberal democracy (lawish thing-a-ma-bob), there are now many. Depending on how inclusive you are on things-a-ma-bob, a majority in fact. Furthermore the systems have changed often over the decades and centuries. These days we have a plethora of case studies with different systems of government.

What I am looking for is clarity of thinking, a pre-requisite of clarity of presentation. You claim your system has some substance, let's call it woo, that other systems lack, but when pressed for the characteristic of this woo, you evade. It seems you believe this woo is under threat, that there was more woo before, but in that case it would be more important to be clear what woo is, and what in woo is worth preserving unchanged, what could or maybe should be adapted to newer circumstances, and what is  fluff. 

I am not offended on behalf of any system of government (neither should or would I), but any comparison should be based on observation, not on rhetorical ideas. Other systems may have woo too, of different flavours, which may or may not be desirable, with their own set of proponents and detractors. Some try to compare and rank directly, using some or other form of metric, like Freedom House's Freedom in the World survey

or EIU's Democracy index,

and that is fine as far as it goes.

Reply #68

For all of these, including the US founding fathers, it was all theory, not observation. It is like a group of virgins discussing the merits of sex. That was two hundred and two score years ago or so. Much has happened since, from basically no liberal democracy (lawish thing-a-ma-bob), there are now many. Depending on how inclusive you are on things-a-ma-bob, a majority in fact. Furthermore the systems have changed often over the decades and centuries. These days we have a plethora of case studies with different systems of government.

What I am looking for is clarity of thinking, a pre-requisite of clarity of presentation. You claim your system has some substance, let's call it woo, that other systems lack, but when pressed for the characteristic of this woo, you evade. It seems you believe this woo is under threat, that there was more woo before, but in that case it would be more important to be clear what woo is, and what in woo is worth preserving unchanged, what could or maybe should be adapted to newer circumstances, and what is  fluff. 

I am not offended on behalf of any system of government (neither should or would I), but any comparison should be based on observation, not on rhetorical ideas. Other systems may have woo too, of different flavours, which may or may not be desirable, with their own set of proponents and detractors. Some try to compare and rank directly, using some or other form of metric, like Freedom House's Freedom in the World survey

or EIU's Democracy index,

and that is fine as far as it goes.

Great colours. What do they mean?

Reply #70
Thank you.

Reply #71
My bad. I should have included more maps and their legends. This one is a little amusing in this context.

Legend
Blue : government claims the country to be democratic and allows opposition groups.
Green: government claims to be so democratic no opposition is needed.
Red: We don't need no stinking democracy.

So in summary the greens and the blues are the democratic countries, the red the non-democratic ones, according to this map of claims of claims. In other words democracy has taken over the world, the democratic world anyway.

Reply #72
something awkward about democracy is ... we are allowed to do anything .

included , to remove the traditional Election .

in here , there is new Constitutional amandment .

the Mayor , is Choosed by Regional Congress .

And there is new amandment Proposal , to Remove The President election .

in another word , The president is Choosed by the Congress .

not by the People .

Reply #73
This by comparison are the countries, marked in blue, the aforementioned Freedom House consider to be representative democracies. (As there are no countries with direct democracy, the subset of representative democracies is the same as the set of democratic countries.)

Speaking of the aforemented, the legend of Freedom in the World is:
Free (90)   Partly Free (58)   Not Free (47)

For what they actually mean by free/partially free/not free, you need to follow the above link.
With the recent changes Wikipedia has turned legend-hostile.

Reply #74
The people are just fodder.

Constant arguments over there on that Constitution as if Moses had created it!With over 50% of the lower house on the 'Hill multi-millionaires and a big proportion of the Upper one run by the money barons they people have no say. When the big two parties have those daft "Conventions" it is a s much a political conference as a circus. it is just a big party for the money propagandists to use. I do not see the point about going on about how wonderful the Constitution is and what the country stands for when there is so much damn misery in the place and tens of millions to who the words mean absolutely nothing in practice. Voting is a waste of time it is only that people have been misused, conned and brained into thinking their views are important. Instead it is the thousands of company reps who influence the Hill.

Kind of sad in a way when you think that it is a family and friendly orientated type of nation but as I say, badly misused and conned.