Skip to main content
Topic: Wealth Redistribution -- What, if any, is the justification for it?  (Read 42262 times)

Re: Wealth Redistribution -- What, if any, is the justification for it?

Reply #100
Now on I will not redistribute with Americans anymore.
Not my fault that more than half of their states have a GDP smaller than my country.
Let them starve as they deserve. I entirely agree with you SmileyFaze :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #101
Some US states would probably be better off under Portuguese rule :right:

Reply #102
What exactly is a Portugal?

Reply #103

What exactly is a Portugal?

1. Select a tender pig.
2. Blanch in warm water for 20 minutes.
3. Throw away the pig, drink the water.

That, sir, is a Portugal.

Reply #104

Now on I will not redistribute with Americans anymore.
Not my fault that more than half of their states have a GDP smaller than my country.
Let them starve as they deserve. I entirely agree with you SmileyFaze :)

I thought you Catholic lot were more compassionate Christians than the Prot lot(s)?

Reply #105
I thought you Catholic lot were more compassionate Christians than the Prot lot(s)?

One need not be Christian to consider compassion, but we're actually not talking about compassion here, we're talking about something completely different from compassion --- which giving help to the destitute would surely be --- we're supposed to be discussing the political process of Wealth Redistribution, & whether there is any valid justification for it or not.

Reply #106
interesting words from a terrorist supporter!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #107

:) Good, you noticed my message.

There's a minimum that everyone should have for not living a life of misery that is not compatible with human dignity. If there's not such a minimum, than there is no civilization but barbarism.
Above such minimum, each one has to search for himself. In resume, social redistribution can't have the same rules below and above such minimums.

Regarding that "minimum" one most reflect about life styles.
In my opinion, urban life style is very difficult to be compatible with a deign life while short of resources.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #108

One need not be Christian to consider compassion, but we're actually not talking about compassion here, we're talking about something completely different from compassion --- which giving help to the destitute would surely be --- we're supposed to be discussing the political process of Wealth Redistribution, & whether there is any valid justification for it or not.
What we're talking about is made up Republican media talking point that it takes just as fast as you can type a search into any non-partisan site about the subject to disprove.

Reply #109

I swear if you visit Canada you'll come back with English Canadian catch phrases.

"How Canadian are you, eh?"

That'll give you a head start.

Reply #110
One need not be Christian to consider compassion...

One need not be a religionist to be compassionate. Christianity has hijacked the notion of morality. Christian compassion has caused countless deaths, too often in the name of a loving god.

Reply #111
What we're talking about is made up Republican media talking point that it takes just as fast as you can type a search into any non-partisan site about the subject to disprove.

No, that's what you alone are debating with yourself.

BTW.....
how's it lookin' for you guys in November?

I think the GOP will get trounced regardless if we all can keep our doctors as promised or not.

Billary will get the bounce she needs to landslide the GOP in 2016. 

All the Health Care issues will fade away, & the demonrats will claim joyous victory as America overwhelming accepts the lower cost of medical coverage with open arms, consistent with Obama's precise predictions.

Reply #112
1. Select a tender pig.
2. Blanch in warm water for 20 minutes.
3. Throw away the pig, drink the water.

That, sir, is a Portugal.

Good try but as I said before I would not redistribute with Grand Rapids parasites no more.
It's called the Global Economy.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #113

I swear if you visit Canada you'll come back with English Canadian catch phrases.

"How Canadian are you, eh?"

That'll give you a head start.

I'll be sure to stop by Grand Rapids on my way back down from Canada to have a word with you then, you bastage.  :yikes:

Reply #114

:) Good, you noticed my message.

There's a minimum that everyone should have for not living a life of misery that is not compatible with human dignity. If there's not such a minimum, than there is no civilization but barbarism.
Above such minimum, each one has to search for himself. In resume, social redistribution can't have the same rules below and above such minimums.

Regarding that "minimum" one most reflect about life styles.
In my opinion, urban life style is very difficult to be compatible with a deign life while short of resources.

Of course I noticed it, how could I not?  :wine:

Your church is the most ancient and organized of the latter two Abrahamic religions. Ergo, you all have the most resources to help out.

Noted. (the rest of what you posted)

Reply #115

If one earns under $15 k, should one be eligible for food stamps?

Reply #116
Does income from all sources combined of $15,000 a year constitute destitution?
And is income verification of $15,000 & under the cutoff for food stamp eligibility?

Also, can the food stamps you speak of only be used for food?

Reply #117

If one earns under $15 k, should one be eligible for food stamps?

Depends where you are I guess - in New York City $15k/year won't buy you shit, while in rural TN you can survive on it.

Reply #118

And is income verification of $15,000 & under the cutoff for food stamp eligibility?

Like @Macallan points out, it really depends where you live. Here in MS (and like he notes in TN), one could probably scrape by on $15k.

Highly doubtful though in areas like Seattle, Miami, etc.

IIRC,  anyone with a total combined income of $23,500 and below qualifies for food stamps.

My total income last year (part-time word) was less than $10 k, yet I made it by just fine without them, even though I would have qualified for them.

Reply #119

No, that's what you alone are debating with yourself.

BTW.....
how's it lookin' for you guys in November?

I think the GOP will get trounced regardless if we all can keep our doctors as promised or not.

Billary will get the bounce she needs to landslide the GOP in 2016. 

All the Health Care issues will fade away, & the demonrats will claim joyous victory as America overwhelming accepts the lower cost of medical coverage with open arms, consistent with Obama's precise predictions.
Beats me. I have no guys. Now if you're assuming Democrats, Nate Silver projects losses in the Senate but if you look it's in states normally carried by the Republicans anyway. But there's one caveat: the GOP is also fostering its track record of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. For example, a decent GOP candidate would have defeated Obama 2012 but instead the GOP offered the flip-flopper from hell and a bunch of screwballs.  Locally, anyone not trying to appeal to an insane GOP base would have beaten Harry. I'm not the GOP understands some of their own voters, even. I know Republican voters that are intelligent, open-minded, etc. But the GOP keeps trying to appeal to the most ignorant members of their own faction and in doing so likes to shot themselves in their foot. My own mother tends to vote Republican, but she watched Sharon Angle's "Harry got elected, now your property values went down" commercial and promptly switched to Harry's camp. Get it yet? Angle thought her own voters were that stupid and offered  idiotic arguments against Harry. That's far from unique GOP election behavior.

So, yes in theory it looks bad for the Dems this time around. But now we get to watch and see if the GOP falls on its sword.

Reply #120

Like @Macallan points out, it really depends where you live. Here in MS (and like he notes in TN), one could probably scrape by on $15k.

Highly doubtful though in areas like Seattle, Miami, etc.

IIRC,  anyone with a total combined income of $23,500 and below qualifies for food stamps.

My total income last year (part-time word) was less than $10 k, yet I made it by just fine without them, even though I would have qualified for them.

Well, I don't believe in food stamps.

Privately funded Soup Kitchens, Meals-on-Wheels, & other charities (YMCA, Salvation Army, etc, etc) are there for those that need them.

I do believe in charity to the destitute, & I personally contribute to a number of selected charities every year that primarily care for those people -- in excess of 10x what you made last year, & I will increase my giving by 5% every other year into the foreseeable future.

What I will never condone is supporting those that should be able to support themselves, especially the chronically unemployed.

I firmly believe in work for welfare --- 40 hours community service a week for the equivalent of minimum wage, with no other subsidy.

I am for the repeal of the Federal income tax, the abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service, & cessation of federal programs & services not specifically required under the U.S. Constitution.

Reply #122
The IRS collects taxes.