Skip to main content
Topic: Sochi Olympics (Read 17596 times)

Sochi Olympics

Anybody watching? I know that String is because he's posted on the viral dual toilets.

I watched a few events yesterday and was interested by the show of nationalistic flag waving among spectators. Since what I watched came from a US TV network, nothing that was of remote interest to Americans was overlooked. A US woman came in fifth in speed skating...we got a clip of that non-medal accomplishment.

I'm anxiously awaiting the women's ice-wrestling/shooting event. Go ladies!

Re: Sochi Olympics

Reply #1
Ice wrestling?

Reply #2
If there were and Team USA were in sniffing distance of a medal, it would be covered. Of course it is the same phenomena everywhere, the trick is to get an athlete from a major sponsoring country to get a medal. Cross-country skiing is currently dominated by the Norwegians, and speed skating by the Dutch, which is a kiss of death for these exciting and intensely dramatic sports.

Reply #3
Anybody watching? I know that String is because he's posted on the viral dual toilets.
Yes I'm watching a little - heard a funny remark yesterday about those toilets, calling them a "Twobog'n".

Reply #5
Since toilets seem to be so fascinating for some, a TV show about toilets would bridge a gap in the market.
Russian toilets, Chinese toilets, Iranian toilets, North Korean toilets, Afghani toilets...
To make things more fascinating, toilets could be equipped with microphones and/or cameras so we could watch the events live.
There could be organized some contests as well which could become more popular than the Olympic Games :)
The loudest fart, the longest fart or the fart torch could be three of several disciplines for men and women.
Sponsoring shouldn't be a problem neither  8)
How about: This farting contest was brought to you live and sponsored by Coca-Cola and McDonalds.

Reply #6
I'm not sure about contests in this area, but excreting is not an unimportant matter, and culture in this area differs as widely and wildly as in the area of eating. There are eating contests, but I would never participate. For some people, dogs and rats are normal meals, but I would decline even in the pain of being considered rude. The same way, Russian (and Asian) culture of public collective group excretion are a topic, where a differing opinion has its legitimate place even when Russians may complain.
No, I am not fully rejecting those toilets. I have used huge public sh*thalls where you could well conduct your contests, Krake, and I survived. But it's really just a survival issue for me, or at best an adventurous amusing little incident. I won't do it for a living or to win, not even to prove a point. It is what it is.

Reply #10
Only in Brazil, the South American counterpart of Scotland.
Are you RjBarulheira?

Reply #11
There's no counterpart of Scotland across the pond.
(Oops...)

Reply #15
Kettling is a police tactic for controlling large crowds during demonstrations or protests. It involves the formation of large cordons of police officers who then move to contain a crowd within a limited area.
Kettling.

Only among Russian thugs.

Reply #17
Your teakettle booster engine is better than mine.

Reply #18
 English Professor "A double negative makes a positive, but a double positive never makes a negative."
Bored voice from the back of the class  "Yeah, right."

Reply #20
Language doesn't pretend to use logic in its formal structures - as it is a product of human psyche, not reasoning.

Reply #22
 English Professor "A double negative makes a positive, but a double positive never makes a negative."
Bored voice from the back of the class  "Yeah, right."

I can't never believe that.

Reply #23
The men are the ones to watch, so far it is Norwegians–Russians 9:8.

Sochi Olympics: Norway vs. Russia In Battle Of The Curling Pants

It happens in golf, too...at least with John Daly.