Skip to main content
Topic: What's Going on in the Americas? (Read 261122 times)

Re: What's Going on in the Americas?

Reply #350
Have already stated my opinion on McCain never mind the Vietnam matter. He would have been a disaster as President. Trump is another one who would be a disaster pal too. Mind you as it is the corporates who really run the ex-colonies he is flinging his hat in!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #351

Have already stated my opinion on McCain never mind the Vietnam matter. He would have been a disaster as President. Trump is another one who would be a disaster pal too. Mind you as it is the corporates who really run the ex-colonies he is flinging his hat in!

Sounds like you have a lot of opinions.  That's good, that's one of the freedoms our 1st Amendment to the United States Constitution protects & our 2nd. Amendment defends.

Now, we already know who you don't think would be fit to be President of our United States, so on a serious note RJ, who do you think would...and why?

They don't have to be presently running RJ, or a member of any particular political party, but in your pwecious opinion, who do you think would be fit to do the job of the United States President?   Who, if you had a right to, who would you personally nominate for the position, & why?

Reply #352
Well Smiley, I do have to say to be fair that I am not aware of anyone who immediately comes to mind and not in a disparaging way - but I do wish there was. A large country with much influence positive or negative needs a very principled leader and sometimes it is easy to think of leaders in yesteryear who were statesmen? I am not avoding your genuine curiosity but so far with a whole range no-one seems to stand out. As I say wish there was.

Reply #353
Your nation repeatedly rejected Winston Churchill — including after WW II! Of course you have no inkling… :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #354

Your nation repeatedly rejected Winston Churchill — including after WW II! Of course you have no inkling… :)

To be fair, Winston Churchill made some blunders during WW 1 that would give any man pause when considering him for high office. The Dardanelles campaign was a classic throwing away of men and ships to accomplish--- a defeat.

It may be that this tragic mistake was necessary though. Churchill was a great leader during WW II, and it's quite possible that without the bitter experience of the Dardanelles campaign he would have been a blunderer in WW II.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #355
You make it sound like a mammoth and  deep anti-Churchill thing. In hard practice he firstly was totally correct in his warnings about Nazi Germany and a potential war. Secondly he lost the General election in 1945 but came out on top again at a good age again as Prime Minister. He apart from being Knighted was accorded an impressive State funeral Oakdale. And as we are far better at ceremonial parades than you lot a fine tribute to the man.

Reply #356
He apart from being Knighted was accorded an impressive State funeral Oakdale.
Yes, your lot is much better at parades and medals and titles…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #359
What's Going on in the Americas?

Did I already said that the American continent is drifting away from Europe?
That's the only good thing I can see happen there. Soon they will meet our Chinese friends face to face. That will be funny to watch. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #360

What's Going on in the Americas?

Did I already said that the American continent is drifting away from Europe?
That's the only good thing I can see happen there. Soon they will meet our Chinese friends face to face. That will be funny to watch. :)

One theory I've heard is that it already happened---- millenia before Europeans ever stumbled across the place. The "Native Americans" had to come from somewhere--- and the theory I read is that they came by way of land-bridge from the area now known as Siberia, crossing the present Bering Sea to Alaska, then down into the rest of the continent.

There's a story of Chinese coming here since then too--- by boat, early adventurers probably looking to make a few quick yen. Finding the earlier people already here, they don't seem to have made much claim of "discovering" the place since it was already discovered.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #361
One theory I've heard is that it already happened---- millenia before Europeans ever stumbled across the place. The "Native Americans" had to come from somewhere--- and the theory I read is that they came by way of land-bridge from the area now known as Siberia, crossing the present Bering Sea to Alaska, then down into the rest of the continent.

Yes... that's what it's said but necessarily small groups of humans were enough to populate both North and South America, always down until Tierra del Fuego, originating thousands and thousands of different "native" populations?

They had to reproduce fast as rabbits considering that homo sapiens is no older than an hundred fifty thousand years old.
Reproducing and never stop walking.

Sometimes I think anthropologists suffers from some form of delirium.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #362
Jimmy Carter: The U.S. Is an "Oligarchy With Unlimited Political Bribery"
HARTMANN: Our Supreme Court has now said, “unlimited money in politics.” It seems like a violation of principles of democracy. … Your thoughts on that?

CARTER: It violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president. And the same thing applies to governors and U.S. senators and congress members. So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over. … The incumbents, Democrats and Republicans, look upon this unlimited money as a great benefit to themselves. Somebody’s who’s already in Congress has a lot more to sell to an avid contributor than somebody who’s just a challenger.

Reply #363

Jimmy Carter: The U.S. Is an "Oligarchy With Unlimited Political Bribery"

The statement is true but somehow funny to hear it from Jimmy Carter. At his time as president it wasn't much different, neither was it at the time of his predecessors.

The primary responsability of government is "to protect the minority of the opulent against the majority."
Constitutional Convention 26. Juni 1787 - James Madison

The idea of democracy is one of the "necessary illusions" which the ruling elite has to produce in order to secure the stability of the present status
Reinhold Niebuhr 1892-1971

Guided 'democracy':
Opinion management is cheaper than violence, bribery or other possible control techniques.
- Harold D. Lasswell (1930). Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences

The effective operation of a democratic political system usually require some measure of apathy and noninvolment on the part of some individuals and groups.
- Report of the Trilateral Commission, 1975

Western democracy as a matter of fact is an oligarchy. E.g. USA:
Truman had been able to govern the country with the cooperation of a relatively small number of Wall Street layers and bankers.
Samuel Huntington (1975). The Crisis of democracy

A democratic society once established, destroys a free economy.
Milton Friedman, 1990

The USA is reigned by 200 families and we want good contacts to them.
Arndt Oetker - CEO of the Atlantic-Bridge / Berliner Zeitung, 17.4.2002

Opinions of the average American appear to have only a minuscule, near-zero, statistically non- significant impact upon policy.
Policymaking is dominated by powerful business organizations and a small number of afluent Americans.
70% of the population on the lower revenue and estate spectrum have absolutely no leverage on political decisions.
- Gilens & Page (2014) Testing Theories of American Politics

---
If some of the quotes have a strange wording, it's because I've translated them from German. I'm still working on my English. ;)

Reply #364
If some of the quotes have a strange wording, it's because I've translated them from German. I'm still working on my English.

Beats the scheisse out of my three semesters of German.

Reply #365
Isn't it telling us something that the more China is rising to the day it financially overtakes America that land of the fee and home of the brave is becoming more testy towards China. Big mistake.

Reply #366
Robot never made it out of Philadelphia, Hitchhiking Robot Lasts Just Two Weeks in US Because Humans Are Terrible
The goal of the hitchhiking trip was to see how humans would interact with hitchBOT. And apparently the answer was “not well.” HitchBOT has been around the world, including trips across the entirety of Canada and Germany without major incident. But America is clearly a hard land for our robot brothers and sisters.

Reply #367
Send the little bastard to Scotland. We don't want no stinking robots.

Reply #368

Reply #369

The statement is true but somehow funny to hear it from Jimmy Carter. At his time as president it wasn't much different, neither was it at the time of his predecessors.

Richard Nixon was pretty much middle class far from ruling classes.

[video]https://youtu.be/Z0jjCkwA0MQ[/video]

Reply #373
No, he would say...

Reply #374
An excellent documentary on President Nixon and very balanced.