Skip to main content
Topic: Philosophy, Logic, Formal Systems (Read 72805 times)

Re: Philosophy, Logic, Formal Systems

Reply #125
Necessary distinctions. Language exists to make a difference :)

For example there's A and B. There cannot be only A and nothing else. There must be both A and B - to make any sense of anything at all. Only A would be more economical, but with only A and with nothing else there's no way to make sense of anything. (Edit: Imagine dog and cat and cow and pigeon all be named "dog" - economical from the point of view of vocabulary, but intolerable for semantic purposes.) "Make sense" is achieved by making a distinction, i.e. using at least two elements.

This is how the principle of economy and the principle of distinctions seemingly oppose each other, but actually cooperate for a higher purpose.

Reply #126
Ah, yes.
Making a difference with the less effort... :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #127
First off, drop any adherence to the strong version of Sapir-Whorf hypothesis.

Easily done: I never "bought" it… :)
My professional opinion on Piraha is that since it's poorly studied, there are many ways in which it may have been wrongly interpreted.

My amateur opinion is the same, and I can't help but consider the possibility that the Pirahã have a subtle sense of humor! (Everett's supposed attempt to teach them basic arithmetic seems unlikely in the extreme…) Still, I've found nothing newer than last year -on the web- about them.
(Only a few short papers to read! :) )
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #128
You mentioned one, the principle of economy, what is the other that is opposite to this one?
Asking for curiosity, not as a discussion.

The principle of optimal communicative function stands opposed to the principle of the least effort. This works at probably all levels of language. For instance, phonologically speaking, it's the principle of easing production versus the principle of easing perception.

Simplistically speaking, easing production means vowels are reduced to schwas whenever possible, while easing perception means that if all you're uttering is a bunch of schwas no one will understand a word you're saying.

(I know ersi already posted the same thing while I was writing this, but I don't want to waste my minor effort.)

Reply #129
Ok, those are some of the technical aspects of language's inner structure.

I have a war on languages but relating to the political and social functions of languages.
My country it's my language.
The defense of purism and denial of language "dynamism and evolution", as well as deviations, as means of preserving independence and identity.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #130
You might (dis)like this video:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6NU0DMjv0Y[/video]

Reply #131
You might (dis)like this video:

Well Frenzie... you let me with mixed feelings, what should I think about people that finds their own weaknesses to be... funny?
Since they're not my people, I like it.
Since many of my own people acts the same way, I don't like it.

A matter of attitude.

Reply #132
On dictionaries (re Frenzie's video)

It actually is funny how English-speaking people tend to think "Is that even a word?" when the word is missing in the dictionary. In my own native language derivation (of adjectives from nouns, deverbalising, etc.) is so lively and rich that it makes no sense to include all such words in the dictionary. It would be pointless ballast because such derivation is a perfectly regular function and the meanings are straightforward. (You could just as well try to make a dictionary of all possible sentences in the language.) What makes sense to include in the dictionary is words with lexicalised meanings.

Reply #133
English is no different: it's just the spelling that is less receptive to compound spellings. In Dutch this is an internetforum; in English it's an internet forum. I wouldn't expect to find either in the dictionary. Verbing and nouning (;)) also occur constantly. The problem is just that especially Americans are whacked around the ears with nonsensical usage advice by the likes of Strunk & White, who blatantly disregard just about everything they say in order to produce what is actually fairly decent prose. The problem with the utterly nonsensical "advice" and "rules" is that no one knows what's what and is insecure about using stranded prepositions, passives, and whatnot. Not that anyone knows what a passive is, of course.

Reply #134

English is no different: it's just the spelling that is less receptive to compound spellings. In Dutch this is an internetforum; in English it's an internet forum. I wouldn't expect to find either in the dictionary.

You speak about compounding, I spoke about morphological derivation. Different things. Here we have lots of strictures and inflexibility in compounding so the languages seriously differ in this aspect.

And yes, compounding is so rich and vibrant in English that there's no chance for dictionaries to reflect this aspect of the language. It's the job for grammar books.

Verbing and nouning (;)) also occur constantly.

But in English the word doesn't need to change its spelling when you change its grammatical category. Here it's inevitable to add/drop some suffixes. In principle like in German all infinitives end in -en, and when you make a verb out of some noun, -en needs to be attached. Edit: Right, exactly the way you add -ing in English to form a gerund, but here we have many more such suffixes just to denote the syntactic function of the word.

Reply #135
 beach please ,  :drunk:

in Java you speak in  Java language .
and it have  totally different Language for differrent People .

it's will be  like ,

Speak with friends with english

Speak with Older People With Spanish

and Speak with a Sir  with Latin

Reply #136
it's will be  like ,

Speak with friends with english

Speak with Older People With Spanish

and Speak with a Sir  with Latin

In my language we also use different vocatives and the correspondent different verbal modes depending on the social relation you have with your interlocutor. Factors as age, degree of intimacy or social status are always present, it's called "to have manners". Increasingly, many don't.

Also written language it's very different from verbal language, it's much more formal and elaborated. However, computers are destroying it and people start writing the way they speak.
Barbarism it's arriving at full force.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #137
People here still speak vowels out. :lol: But it won't last long... :right:
:cheers:

Reply #138

People here still speak vowels out. :lol: But it won't last long... :right:
:cheers:

If up to me, I would lead a linguist crusade against Brasil as a punishment for what you're doing to the Portuguese language... languagecide, it's what it is :)

Desconseguir?? for Christ's sake... what saves you is that when a gorgeous mulata starts talking I immediately can't resist surrendering into her arms... :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #139
I have never seen such word, but here it seems not to be an exclusively Brazilian aberration.
pq? blz vlw :)

Reply #140
blz vlw  :)

hmm... can't get it.

Anyway, the point being that, to my dissatisfaction, the language that wrote the epic of epics, the Lusíadas, it's falling apart. As everything else.

Better to stick to philosophies...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #141
 :yes:  :spock:

Reply #142
Belfrager, why bother to speak to others — if you can't proscribe their means of expression? :)

The deterioration of language has been a constant topic, since -at least- the written word was invented… And, surely, long before; ugh!
I really mean it: Ugh!
进行 ...

Reply #143

Belfrager, why bother to speak to others — if you can't proscribe their means of expression? :)

The deterioration of language has been a constant topic, since -at least- the written word was invented… And, surely, long before; ugh!
I really mean it: Ugh!

Oakdale, while you ugh the caravan passes...
At my caravan, it's me who decides how things are.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #144
I'll give you an annoying example of seemingly ungrammatical English: Me and my friends went...
A great many people say such nowadays, specially the young. But few -perhaps none- would say *Me went... So, might they have a different pattern in mind than the simple Noun-Verb combination?
Consider: We, me and my friends, went... Appositional phrases are not uncommon! And there's some sense to dropping the superfluous plural noun. No? :)
There's much to be said for style, I'd agree. But sense is more important. Isn't it?
进行 ...

Reply #145
it's called "to have manners". Increasingly, many don't.

Aristotle said something quite similar to this of the younger generation--it is timeless and a matter of perspective.  At times I see an abundance of good manners and at others, almost a complete lack of them.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #146
Well, ersi, since I mentioned "statistical reasoning" in another thread and you, correctly, surmised that I was referring to Probability Theory…
What are your views? What are their sources? How would you handle the various "problems" with (at least, your favorite) such theories as are known? (I.e., have been created… Or, alternately, "so far discovered" — BTW: How does one "discover" something that isn't true? :) )

Or is there a Medieval text that precludes questions?
进行 ...

Reply #147
However, computers are destroying it and people start writing the way they speak.

People writing as they speak is not new. However, one way to tell a new, amateurish author is precisely that he writes his stories in a stiff formal manner using vocabulary and phrases never found outside books. That isn't to say you should writing should be exactly like speech because the spoken language is often very poor. It should be like speech, but refined and cleaned up considerably.

Reply #148

What are your views? What are their sources?

There was a course on statistics in the university, mainly important for those who would do their thesis as a kind of poll. This kind of thesis was not in my plans, so I didn't care any deeper about the statistical theories and their sources. I simply remember what was taught.

How would you handle the various "problems" with (at least, your favorite) such theories as are known? (I.e., have been created… Or, alternately, "so far discovered" —

What problem? It's not enough that you say there's a problem. You have to describe the problem. Every problem contains its own solution. In your case, problems are either defective formulations or completely imaginary.

BTW: How does one "discover" something that isn't true? :)

Those things are invented. Just like Columbus invented America. He didn't even know it was America, so whatever he thought it was was a complete invention.

Or is there a Medieval text that precludes questions?

There are medieval texts that provide answers. As long as you scoff at the idea, the answers won't reach you.

Reply #149
I gathered from your reply that you had no interest in the subject… But —

As Ronald Fisher said (in the beginning of a "recent" paper in 1955):
[…] a more complete understanding has been reached of the structure and peculiarities of inductive logic — that is of reasoning from the sample to the population from which the sample was drawn, from consequences to causes, or in more logical terms, from the particular to the general.
He was referring to the last century.
If you would, ersi, read this paper. If you won't, know that -no matter your predilection for terminological niceties- what I call statistical reasoning is in a quandary: As a field of mathematics, its foundations are controversial. As a practical science, utter nonsense is accepted by academics and their journals. As a science applicable to real-world problems, it hardly surfaces above the sea of politics…
And yet you see no problems!

Perhaps you think Probability only refers to the "toy" games of chance upon which, four centuries ago, brilliant mathematicians speculated… But I doubt you are familiar with such.
Still, you may be able to think something through:

In what sense does a single event have a probability?
———————————————————————————

There are, of course, other questions: How do we instantiate finite subsets of the infinite underpinnings of Frequentist theories of probability? (The same "problem" exists for every finitist version… Hume asked some good questions!)
How, if probability is merely a personal propensity to believe, do we understand science, when it is statistical?
When do we say that something is probable, if we can't agree on what "probable" means?
进行 ...