Skip to main content
Topic: The Decline of Religion in Europe (Read 66524 times)

Re: The Decline of Religion in Europe

Reply #251
You have maps; look at an atlas, Bel and Sang

Oh maps are easy to find, with the new fangled thing called the internet. From one, you can easy see that Iraq is much closer than Western Europe :) Also, you're assuming the theocracy is apocalyptic. What objective, non-right wing idiot and non-paranoid source can you cite to support this assertion? Even if they were, what would you have a president do? Start another costly and pointless war in Iran and if we depose the regime create the leadership vacuum that would allow the real apocalyptic cult (ISIL) to take over because "conservatives" ironically are the ones that don't learn from (even recent) history?
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #252
Even if they were, what would you have a president do? Start another costly and pointless war in Iran and if we depose the regime create the leadership vacuum that would allow the real apocalyptic cult (ISIL) to take over because "conservatives" ironically are the ones that don't learn from (even recent) history?

First, it isn't an American problem.
Second, it isn't an American problem.
Last, it isn't an American problem.
=======
Who is this WE?

Reply #253
The Oakdale closed mind philosophy is the "We."
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #254
First, it isn't an American problem.
Second, it isn't an American problem.
Last, it isn't an American problem.

Quit, but if the Republicans act out of inflated fear of Iran's missile capability and this myth that they're an apocalyptic cult it becomes all our problem in the form of thousands of more lives lost, hundreds of billions added to the debt, etc. Why is that they always need and "existential" threat to the US and its allies? This is like a sickness with them.  Of course, Oakdale probably confuses my denunciation of (cold? hopefully) war with Iran with support for its regime since in the tiny Republican mind there's only black and white.
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #255
Quit, but if the Republicans act out of inflated fear of Iran's missile capability and this myth that they're an apocalyptic cult it becomes all our problem in the form of thousands of more lives lost, hundreds of billions added to the debt, etc.

Nothing is going to happen to us. We aren't going to attack Iran and Iran isn't going to attack us. And they're unlikely to attack Israel because that would be a suicidal act, however popular it would make them in the rest of the Middle East.

Reply #256
I do not think for one minute that Iran is any threat to the West and anyone who joins that bandwagon is daft. Certainly there is a friction between Israel and Iran and a war between them would be a really bad thing but I do not agree with jimbro that it would be suicide for Iran. I would also lime to know why Israel body-swerves whether they have atomic weaponry. Israel would not find Iran as easy as dealing with over the border terrorists based in Lebanon. In deed the last time there was bother in that corner the Israelis were not very successful. All the negatives that Israel has are essentially ignored here in the West and I would not advise Israel to try the heavy in the face warfare or that might in it's own way deal with a situation that Tel Aviv would not like as it would be in the history books.

Although no fan of Israel the carnage would be terrible but the ally that supplies the hardware, ignores Jewish jackboots  would have a big moral issue.

Reply #257
You have maps; look at an atlas, Bel and Sang

First, getting Bel and Sang in the same phrase is a symptom of Alzheimer.
Second, we invented maps, don't give me advices about maps.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #258
Second, we invented maps, don't give me advices about maps.
I'm pretty sure it was the Chinese, before you guys stumbled out of your caves…!
If you know the capabilities of the hardware Iran has bought, and have access to maps, then you know what's possible. If you'd rather hide your head in the sand — how would you feel, if the U.S. said, "Fine! You're on your own…"? :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #259
If you know the capabilities of the hardware Iran has bought, and have access to maps, then you know what's possible. If you'd rather hide your head in the sand — how would you feel, if the U.S. said, "Fine! You're on your own…"?  :)

You're confusing Europe with Israel. And you speak about maps...
A matter of attitude.

Nukes

Reply #260
Suddenly I realize that the U.S. has the capabilities to disintegrate my neighborhood a billion times. I think I should be really scared. :right:

Reply #261

If you know the capabilities of the hardware Iran has bought, and have access to maps, then you know what's possible. If you'd rather hide your head in the sand — how would you feel, if the U.S. said, "Fine! You're on your own…"? :)

Since you are repeating the same BS over and over again - once for all, US military bases in Europe are to protect the USA and not Europe. Parts of Europe are used as a shield that would be sacrificed in a worst case scenario.
It's a coward and perverse strategy!
What do you think US nukes (under exclusively US control) stationed in Germany and Italy are good for?
Are they protecting those countries from the rest of the world?

Reply #262
How odd that Oakdale should get a dig at Europeans having come out of caves. Hhhm, with most Americans having originally come from Europe includes them too?? Difference with  ex-colonists is that they still mentally are cave-dwellers.

Reply #263
US military bases in Europe are to protect the USA and not Europe

How do they do that?

Why doesn't Deutschland ask the US military to leave? You do know that eight of those bases are co-bases, don't you?

Why is there still a German military? Germany has no enemies.

Reply #264

US military bases in Europe are to protect the USA and not Europe

How do they do that?

The same way all nuclear arsenal the USA has, can 'protect' the USA.
US nukes here are aimed at Russia and have the advantage for the USA to be much closer to the target and thus much harder to get intercepted.
You may have also heard about the doctrine of the right for pre-emtive nuclear strikes, which your country has adopted.

BTW, did you know that during the cold war, one of the US plans was to nuke East Berlin in case of war with the Soviets?

You do know that eight of those bases are co-bases, don't you?

Don't be ridiculous Jim. Eight out of how many?

Why doesn't Deutschland ask the US military to leave?

Since when an American President gives a damn shit about what a German chancellor asks?
Besides, after capitulation Germany had to sign some treaties. Some of them are still classified and seem to last forever...
US military bases on German territory are just part of them. We even have to co-finance them.

Could you imagine Jim, foreign military bases and espionge facilities on US ground where US authorities are forbidden any access?
I assume you can't and it's basically impossible to be applied for a sovereign state.

Why is there still a German military? Germany has no enemies.

Obama asked Germany for more military involvement worldwide...

Reply #265
A particular country that has far too many world bases and uses that influence for it's own ends has little moral right to yak at others. And if Germany is so under important why did the US spy on the Chancellor's phone??

Reply #266
Since when an American President gives a damn shit about what a German chancellor asks?
Besides, after capitulation Germany had to sign some treaties. Some of them are still classified and seem to last forever...
US military bases on German territory are just part of them. We even have to co-finance them.

Treaties are made to be broken.
Hitler said in Mein Kampf (1924) that he would abolish the Treaty of Versailles.   The Treaty had said he could only have an army of 100,000 men.   Hitler built up his army in secret, then, in 1935, he openly held a huge rearmament rally.   Britain made a naval agreement with Germany (the Treaty had said that Germany could only have 6 battleships).   In 1936, Hitler introduced conscription, and war-tested his armed forces in the Spanish Civil War. 
In 1936, also, Hitler broke the Treaty of Versailles by moving troops into the Rhineland demilitarised zone.
Hitler also broke the Treaty of Versailles in 1938 by invading Austria and declaring Anschluss.   By the end of 1938, Hitler was doing the same thing in the Sudentenland, which the Treaty of Versailles had given to Czechoslovakia. 
It can be argued that it was not just Hitler who broke the Treaty of Versailles, but also Britain and France, when they allowed him to do what he did.

If Germany wanted the US out, it would pack up and leave all seventeen bases. There are no US bases in France. I'd love to see that replicated in Germany.

Frankly, I'd be overjoyed to see the US military cut to one twentieth of its present size and completely out of Europe. The money is greatly needed in other areas...poverty programs, health services and help for major cities.

Sadly, nobody listens to me except my wife. Then she smiles at me and walks away.

Reply #267
And if Germany is so under important why did the US spy on the Chancellor's phone??

That's what governments do.
Two British diplomats have been caught illegally filming military aircraft near an airfield in North Ossetia, Russian state TV has claimed.
Rossiya 1 said defence attache Carl Scott and assistant naval attache Ryan Coatalen-Hodgson from the Moscow embassy were spying near Mozdok base.
The Foreign Office confirmed that two British men were stopped.

OOPS!

Reply #269
Treaties are mae to be broken and listening to your friend's calls is okay? Far too eay a stance.  ??? :D

Reply #271

And Germany isn't?

I'll have to repeat myself, since it looks like you missed it before:
No sovereign state on this planet will tolerate foreign military bases and espionge facilities where local authorities are forbidden any access, on its territory.

Reply #272

That's not a requirement, it's Germany's voluntary decision. Frankly, I think it's sad, but it is a decision of the German government.

On the issue of nuclear proximity, it doesn't matter because the number of launches will overwhelm the defense against them. According to a post in Forbes...
"The Obama Administration is proposing that the United States spend about a billion dollars per week in the fiscal year beginning October 1 to defend Afghanistan, Iraq and other nations against various threats they face.  That’s how much money is in the Pentagon’s request for “overseas contingency operations.”

So guess how much money the administration is seeking to defend America’s homeland against an attack from Russia using nuclear-armed ballistic missiles.  Russia has about 1,600 missile warheads capable of reaching U.S. territory, and if even a small fraction were launched, they could wipe out our electric grid, our financial networks, and quite possibly the whole U.S. economy.

The answer is that the administration is proposing to spend nothing.  Even though we know that most of those Russian warheads are pointed at America.  Even though we know relations with Russia are deteriorating.  Even though we know that Vladimir Putin’s subordinates have repeatedly threatened the West with"
http://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthompson/2015/03/20/the-u-s-has-no-defense-against-a-russian-nuclear-attack-really/#5a29840d45e8

Not to worry, though, nothing like that will ever happen. National suicide is in no nation's interest.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-missile-defense-20140615-story.html

Reply #273
Definitely agree that national suicide is in no country's interest so hope it catches up on you soon.  :sing:

Reply #274
 :insane: (Or maybe you just don't know what you said… I'll go with that!)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)