Skip to main content
Topic: My Issues (Read 2385 times)

My Issues

Firstly thankyou for this browser its my daily user apart from a couple of things:

I use Otter on an Arch Linux System with KDE 5 and QT 5.4.2

1) Clicking on a magnet link I get "Error 301 Protocol "magnet" is unknown"
2) Go to page www.firstdirect.com and click on the "Internet Banking" link. It opens a new tab but its just text so its not formatting.

Other issues of a minor nature:

1) I like to start the browser with just a blank page. The first time in a sesssion you load Otter this works OK but from then on it always starts with two blank tabs.
2) I've got it set to not close the browser with the closing of the last tab. However if you do close the last tab you cannot then use the search bar. You have to open another tab and use the search bar from there.
3) When you highlight something and choose to search for it from the right click menu, for me, I would always like this search to open in a new tab. Can we do this or enable a middle click to open in a new tab.

Would like to have but totally understand if given a no. I use tabs vertically down the left hand side of the screen. In firefox there is an extension "Tree Style Tab". If this functionallity could be brought to Otter that would be cool.

Re: My Issues

Reply #1
1) Clicking on a magnet link I get "Error 301 Protocol "magnet" is unknown"

I guess that it would be a good idea to add support for setting handlers for additional schemes, and some default mapping if known schemes can be mapped to MIME type.

Go to page www.firstdirect.com and click on the "Internet Banking" link. It opens a new tab but its just text so its not formatting.

In my case it breaks on redirects, I've check it with test application and it appears to be issue in QtWebKit, so most likely we would need to wait for upstream fix...
It appears to be two bugs, first of all it shouldn't work as link by default.
Note that it works fine with QtWebEngine backend, but it is not production ready yet and requires Qt 5.5 with QtWebEngine.

1) I like to start the browser with just a blank page. The first time in a sesssion you load Otter this works OK but from then on it always starts with two blank tabs.

Which value are you using for StartupBehavior?

2) I've got it set to not close the browser with the closing of the last tab. However if you do close the last tab you cannot then use the search bar. You have to open another tab and use the search bar from there.

This one was fixed recently.

3) When you highlight something and choose to search for it from the right click menu, for me, I would always like this search to open in a new tab. Can we do this or enable a middle click to open in a new tab.

It's controlled by ReuseCurrentTab, you can overwrite it by pressing Shift (new tab) or Control (new background tab).

I use tabs vertically down the left hand side of the screen. In firefox there is an extension "Tree Style Tab". If this functionallity could be brought to Otter that would be cool.

You can drag tab bar using handle (usually shown on the left edge, when interface is unlocked) but solution more similar to that extension should be available in form of panel in near future.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #2

Which value are you using for StartupBehavior?

Startup behaviour:Show empty page.

If I just leave it like that when I start Otter I get the start page (The one with default search field in the middle and a big + sign to add sites). To truly get a blank page I have to go to the "Configuration Manager -> StartPage and set EnableStartPage to false.

This one was fixed recently.

Great - I normally update my Otter from the git version on Tuesday.

It's controlled by ReuseCurrentTab, you can overwrite it by pressing Shift (new tab) or Control (new background tab).

Will give it a go. Thanks

I use tabs vertically down the left hand side of the screen. In firefox there is an extension "Tree Style Tab". If this functionallity could be brought to Otter that would be cool.

You can drag tab bar using handle (usually shown on the left edge, when interface is unlocked) but solution more similar to that extension should be available in form of panel in near future.

Yep - I have already got the tabs down the left side. Its great you are thinking of adding the addional functionality to Otter

Keep up the good work.

Reply #3
If I just leave it like that when I start Otter I get the start page (The one with default search field in the middle and a big + sign to add sites). To truly get a blank page I have to go to the "Configuration Manager -> StartPage and set EnableStartPage to false.

I've added missing value, now you can decide if this should be empty page or forced start page (even if it is disabled globally).

Reply #4

Will give it a go. Thanks

Unfortunately ReuseCurrentTab is to global. For instance if I'm on a page and use a bookmark then it will open in a new tab - Not something I want to happen. It would be nice if you could use middle click rather than Shift or Control just to keep it all on the mouse rather than having to use mouse and keyboard.

Reply #5
@Kurt, middle click for menu actions etc. might be added in future, it's way more complicated than checking if modifiers are pressed when action is triggered.