Skip to main content
Topic: What's Going on in China? (Read 89745 times)

Re: What's Going on in China?

Reply #250
China doesn't do public executions. Quite the opposite, they do secret executions, which many think is worse. They did on the other hand have a crime TV program interviewing with those who were about to die. The outcry shut down that series though, years ago.
I know that series, the outcry shut dow the series but not the exexutions and the public display all around the city in top of a truck of the people that went to be killed while carrying signs around the neck.

There's nothing secret about China's executions. Not to speak about the families that need to pay the bullet cost (state property) for having the body back.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #251
You have learned nothing Oakdale with that variety of executions you have over there. We did away with the death penalty years ago but you lot live in the past and practice a vicious legal system. You are still the damn past.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #252
You mean, your state only allows its agents to kill in self-defense… Your criminals are still quite free to murder "ordinary" citizens! And, if caught, get a slap on the wrist and a chorus of "Naughty! Naughty!"
Of course, self-defense is frowned upon.

Your charge of a "vicious" legal system falls on deaf ears, RJ: Your repentance of your past is, with your rejection of Catholicism, rightly seen to be insincere…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #253
You DO have a terrible legal system and in fact does border on the nasty with some rather over the top penalties. Even allowing for what is it 2.3 million in jails tends to prove my point of a vengeance attitude. Keeping people on eath row often for years and cases of a decade so how crude are you lot? Farcical if it was not so sad.

Reply #254
We never included beheading and drawing and quartering as punishment… But you'd rather not remember your own history. (Do you still pay the ax-man, to keep him on retainer? :) ) Of course, you only chopped the head off of one of your kings… From whom did you seek absolution? :)
进行 ...

Reply #255
Aw for goodness sake. You are not an old enough country to go too far back. BUT you were still hanging people in public before WW2. Right up to the 1960's you were dispensing with black people illegally. You still have the death penalty and as I also said earlier you will hang, electrocute, gas, poison or do a firing squad. And the sheer horror of being on daeth row for damn years sometimes a decade?  The system is a farce. So don't try taking some high ground because you were not here away back in ancient times.

Reply #256
Neither were you, boy-o… Your outrage never seems to hit close to home!
I'm old enough to remember your Pakis being beaten in the streets… Yeah, even in the streets of Glasgow. (Forgot that, did you?)

Like I said, nowadays only the criminals get to administer the death penalty — or the few coppers who aren't too cowed. In your neck of the woods.
Good luck to,you, orange person. You won't protect yourself or your own… Why'd you think others will continue to stand up for you?
Of course, you don't care, RJ! No skin in the game…
进行 ...

Reply #257
What happened to China?!?
"What's Going on in China?"

That's what's going on in China, not an Rj-Oakdale piffle.

Reply #258
What a load of deliberate keech from you as routine (of course)

Reply #260
What is especially going on in China is it's defence.

Reply #261
Oh and by the way Jimbro my comment was on Oakdalenot you!

Reply #263
Instead all that pro Chinese propaganda maybe it's interesting to know that Chinese turned into the second biggest arm dealers in the world.
After the EUA of course.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #264
I thought that was the open economy. :P

Reply #265
Yes, open economy... 
when they use their weapons against you, dear Frenzie, let's see if you keep on laughing....
A matter of attitude.

Reply #266
maybe it's interesting to know that Chinese turned into the second biggest arm dealers in the world.
After the EUA of course.
I know, Bel: England and France faltered… :) So sad! (For my fellow Americans who don't know the preferred patios of the Portuguese, EUA is their term for the U.S.) And, of course, the former Soviet Union -now Russia again- is an up-and-comer!
Portugal exports — what, exactly? Cork and wool pulp and some veggies, if I remember correctly… Oh, and their language; but they want it back, to which Brazil says No! :)
进行 ...

Reply #267
A nice map of US, Chinese, French and Russian arms sale. 

Reply #268
Message has gone out on the phones that within the fifth ring road of Beijing, firework during the Spring Festival (new year) is limited to the night before the new year (that's the day after tomorrow), the first day, and the fifteenth day, and it is requested that people try to keep it to a minimum.

https://youtu.be/BKxhH2WGv7I

Reply #269
A great many years ago I was on the Republic of China's connection and they sent me every two weeks a copy of a Free China newspaper and from time to time a lovely coloured magazine. For the Oakies of the world the Republic of China is Taiwan and it's islands...... :D

Reply #270
As a postcript I had all those years ago written to the palace in Taipei and the then President Chiang Kai Shek.  :blush:

Reply #271
Taiwan is weighing whether to evict former dictator Chiang Kai-shek from his own memorial

Last week Taiwan’s culture ministry announced plans to repurpose the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, one of Taipei’s top tourist attractions, in a project could entail the removal of a massive bronze statue of Chiang. And the hall, it said, will stop selling Chiang-themed merchandise.

The memorial hall isn’t alone. Chiang’s presence is being steadily removed from public spaces across Taiwan, feeding into a larger public debate about Taiwan’s identity and “Chinese-ness.” Chiang used education and propaganda to create a Chinese identity here, while also trying to erase 50 years of Japanese colonial rule and tamp down the local indigenous culture. But that identity has steadily faded since the arrival of democracy in the 1990s, and a new identity unique to Taiwan has begun to emerge.

Reply #272
I know about that but they have to watch themselves in the Republic of China as those that are the opposition to the Kuomintang are sometimes tending to want to be more like the "Republic of Taiwan" and there is no way the dictatorship on the mainland will tolerate that. It has to be also reminded that democracy would not have advanced if the Kuomintang (Nationalist Party) had not adapted as the place became more distant from the Civil  War  days. On a lesser note any drastic change in the memorial centre which is still an attraction would be disappointing. The present government is not the Kuomintang.

Reply #273
The "Red" Chinese still can't re-take Formosa… Their army can't swim that far.
进行 ...

Reply #274
Why is Spain in the middle of a spat between China and Taiwan?

Although most of the 269 suspects arrested were Taiwanese nationals, Beijing asked for the entire group to be sent to China. Last month, the Spanish government approved the request.

Taiwan, which China sees as a breakaway province that will eventually be reunited with the mainland, has protested that the decision violates historical European human rights norms and the "principle of nationality".

But the reality is that it can do little to stop the transfer. Spain, like most countries, doesn't formally recognise Taiwan as a state.
It was Henry Kissinger whose diplomacy achieved the global non-recognition of Taiwan.