Skip to main content
Topic: Mysticism (Read 34562 times)

Re: Mysticism

Reply #75
Can we agree, that most of the benefits of meditation can be explained in terms of physiology?
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #76
No. And this answer has two equally important reasons.

The first is that you have already made it plain and obvious that you are not taking the topic seriously. It's too late to try to turn around now.

The second reason is that you're wrong. You think gym and vitamins is the same as meditation? There are physiological benefits from gym and vitamins, yes, but meditation is not gym and vitamins. Meditation is not a physiological workout.

You managed to show again how little you know and how little you care.

Reply #77
You see, ersi, why the Ionian disputational mode of philosophy eventually prevailed? :) Apostasy is, therein, a rejected charge, relegated to un-serious investigation -- mere "beliefs" and schismatic feuding.

When some plain English philosopher extended and modified Dennett's views of the unimpeachable-ness of reports of inner experience by substituting (and explaining...) the term incorrigible; he wasn't drummed out of the fraternity of empiricist philosophers!
The conversation continued...

But the benefits regarding stress and its management through meditation have indeed been documented via physiological investigation, that is, laboratory experiments. Ancient (and simple) breathing techniques have been investigated -apart from any doctrinal preconceptions- and their benefits are well-documented and understood, in physiological terms.
Note to others: Yes, I'm aware that Popper's conception of the Ionian Schools is possibly or even likely a-historical, a Just So story... But conclusions drawn from  it may be and in fact are of importance -- for both philosophy and science.
进行 ...

Reply #78
Just thought most readers here would like this:)
进行 ...

Reply #79

You see, ersi, why the Ionian disputational mode of philosophy eventually prevailed? :)

If by prevailed you mean the way you are proven wrong at every step, then okay. It may or may not have something to do with Ionian disputational mode, but it definitely has to do with the way you misread and misinterpret facts. You managed add more to the previous load.

But the benefits regarding stress and its management through meditation have indeed been documented via physiological investigation, that is, laboratory experiments. Ancient (and simple) breathing techniques have been investigated -apart from any doctrinal preconceptions- and their benefits are well-documented and understood, in physiological terms.

Due to advancements (more correctly - degeneration) in science, physiologists may very well be documenting the benefits of what they think is meditation, and you may easily think that this settles the topic. But it doesn't. Consider:

- Modern science has had no say in the development and original documentation of meditation techniques
- Modern science's understanding of those techniques may consequently be limited (e.g. breathing techniques is not meditation, they are an optional part of it - how could you miss that? but it perfectly reflects your level of understanding)
- Meditation techniques were developed and documented long before modern science came around, and these older writings represent a much richer understanding of what it is about.
- Therefore, that which truly settles the topic is practice the way it was meant to be practised.

Here's a clue for you: Meditation (and mysticism) is a psychophysical discipline. Not merely physical or physiological, but necessarily psychological. By reducing it to physiology, you are being reductionist. Elsewhere you argued against reductionism, so you'd better stop doing it.

If you say it's the Ionian disputational mode of philosophy which requires you to be inconsistent and counterfactual, then don't be surprised when I am not convinced. Any philosophy worth the name is consistent.

Reply #80
Due to advancements (more correctly - degeneration) in science, physiologists may very well be documenting the benefits of what they think is meditation, and you may easily think that this settles the topic. But it doesn't. Consider:

- Modern science has had no say in the development and original documentation of meditation techniques
- Modern science's understanding of those techniques may consequently be limited (e.g. breathing techniques is not meditation, they are an optional part of it - how could you miss that? but it perfectly reflects your level of understanding)
- Meditation techniques were developed and documented long before modern science came around, and these older writings represent a much richer understanding of what it is about.
- Therefore, that which truly settles the topic is practice the way it was meant to be practised.

First, your presumption that my mention of a physiological explanation of some of the benefits of some (partial? Perhaps.) meditational techniques was somehow meant to "settle" this topic is merely an additional and telling bit of evidence, that you do -consistently- argue from Authority! (In short, your Ohm! is the last word; and anyone who doesn't hear it or say it the way you do has done "it" wrong. Well, of course! Because there is only one Way…

If one outwardly performs meditation's techniques and achieves the outwardly discoverable benefits, on what basis would or could you determine that they'd done it "wrong"?
While I agree that you'd never do so by dissecting them, you'd not determine that they'd done it right that way, either.

Instead of showing in what I went wrong, you call me ignorant or perverse. Hence I conclude that you'd have felt quite uncomfortable in Anaximander's School; but quite at home in Pythagoras' School, a mystery cult.

Meditation (and mysticism) is a psychophysical discipline. Not merely physical or physiological, but necessarily psychological. By reducing it to physiology, you are being reductionist. Elsewhere you argued against reductionism, so you'd better stop doing it.

Science, and some forms of philosophy, do not require understanding of the whole of creation as the starting point. Indeed, bits and pieces -problems, if you will- are taken one at a time, and tested (tried, in an old meaning of that word).
Who would try (in the just mentioned sense) any Master's ideas, when disputation is first and foremost a derogatory act, a contradicting of Right Understanding or an insult given to the Master?

Would you like to argue against the germ theory of disease, too? You can easily (and truthfully) begin by noting that it isn't the whole picture… But you won't likely be able to say that it's false (unless your meaning of false is isn't the whole picture; which is to say, you've added nothing and got nowhere). Because reductionism has a richly deserved bad reputation doesn't mean that it is never useful and reasonable.
So:
Why is it (according to you) that some breathing techniques (and some other identifiable and separable practices) are not legitimate (and, possibly enlightening — in the non-mystical sense) objects for scientific investigation?
—————————————————————
If I heard correctly, the current government of China has taken a novel stance on a mystical matter: They outlawed unauthorized reincarnations!
And -without going into it- I'd say the move was reasonable and rational… From a Western perspective, it's hilarious. (Of course, one's sense of humor is ineffable! And let's leave it at that. :) )
进行 ...

Reply #81

First, your presumption that my mention of a physiological explanation of some of the benefits of some (partial? Perhaps.) meditational techniques was somehow meant to "settle" this topic is merely an additional and telling bit of evidence, that you do -consistently- argue from Authority!

If you didn't mean to settle anything, if you didn't mean to tell me anything new/true, if you didn't mean to get to know anything new/true yourself, then you are being irrelevant. And, where I live, this is at least as serious a charge as being wrong. Irrelevance is annoying, and God help you when you annoy someone who doesn't have much patience. You are extra lucky that you are dealing with me...

If one outwardly performs meditation's techniques and achieves the outwardly discoverable benefits, on what basis would or could you determine that they'd done it "wrong"?

The whole idea, point and principle of meditation is internal, so your question is, let's put it mildly, formulated in a bad way. Is a fish who never lived in water a fish? Is a stuffed bird a bird? Are silicon breasts really breasts? Do pigs that fly count as pigs?

Instead of showing in what I went wrong, you call me ignorant or perverse.

I show you all the time precisely in what way you are wrong, and the fact that you refuse to acknowledge it changes nothing. First you were being overly dismissive. How can you approach the topic when you don't believe it exists? Naturally nothing can come of such approach. Then you were overly confident of your ignorant knowledge, thinking it to be knowledge when it was really ignorance, as easily shown. What seems to motivate you is the intent of calling the bluff on me, and you continue undeterred after several rounds of defeat in the mission, not to mention that it's no noble mission to begin with.

Science, and some forms of philosophy, do not require understanding of the whole of creation as the starting point. Indeed, bits and pieces -problems, if you will- are taken one at a time, and tested (tried, in an old meaning of that word).

Partial knowledge counts as knowledge when it is sufficient for practical purposes, e.g. sufficient for making some relevant point on the topic. Your knowledge is not even partial yet. It is near-complete ignorance. Soon enough I can determine it's wilful ignorance.

Who would try (in the just mentioned sense) any Master's ideas, when disputation is first and foremost a derogatory act, a contradicting of Right Understanding or an insult given to the Master?

First, when you dispute, deride, and insult, can you say you are really trying? No, you can't. Only after you get over the dispute and insult phase, it's possible to begin actually trying. Or, alternatively, you ruined your chances for good by unnecessarily prolonging the first phase.

Second, not every master is destined for everyone. You have to find yours. It's a quest, and meant to be so! Yours will be understanding and forgiving to your particular quirks, and patient and consistently instructive despite your denseness, slow progress and setbacks.

Because reductionism has a richly deserved bad reputation doesn't mean that it is never useful and reasonable.

It's never useful and never reasonable when you knowingly do it. When you inadvertently do it, the right thing to do is to get rid of it as soon as you find it out.

It's a good method to *isolate the problem* but this is not the same as reductionism. You isolate the problem from a context that you know about, and when you finally apply the solution that you arrived at after the isolation, you will know if you isolated rightly. If not, then you have to start over again. So isolating the problem is not reductionism, but what you are doing is reductionism, forgetting all about the context, and refusing to correct yourself when proven wrong.

So:
Why is it (according to you) that some breathing techniques (and some other identifiable and separable practices) are not legitimate (and, possibly enlightening — in the non-mystical sense) objects for scientific investigation?

Breathing techniques are a legitimate object of scientific investigation, but when you believe that this means studying meditation, you are wrong. When you study breathing techniques, you study breathing techniques, not meditation. When you study gym training, you study gym training, not meditation. When you dissect frogs, you are not learning anything new about the nesting of eagles. If common sense is too complicated for you, then okay, I will factor that in in future posts.

If I heard correctly, the current government of China has taken a novel stance on a mystical matter: They outlawed unauthorized reincarnations!
And -without going into it- I'd say the move was reasonable and rational… From a Western perspective, it's hilarious. (Of course, one's sense of humor is ineffable! And let's leave it at that. :) )

There's an obvious political reason for this: To institute political appointment of religious leaders over the traditional religious authority. It's to eradicate any hint of influence of Dalai Lama and other anti-Chinese elements in Tibet.

Reply #82
@ Ersi: "When you study breathing techniques, you study breathing techniques, not meditation. When you study gym training, you study gym training, not meditation. When you dissect frogs, you are not learning anything new about the nesting of eagles."

At the risk of, once again, sounding ignorant to you (and I’m not afraid of that), is it possible, in meditation, for one to take what they need and leave the rest?  Can I accept and enjoy the enhancements in physical, mental and emotional health without getting into the spiritual unfoldment and/or infinite consciousness part?  Or is that akin to buying a diamond ring just for the nice box and too ridiculous, in your opinion?  In other words, if I'm dissecting the frog mainly to learn why eagles use frog bones in their nests, is that not acceptable to you? 

(Quick quote is not working for me today)
James J

Reply #83

At the risk of, once again, sounding ignorant to you (and I’m not afraid of that), is it possible, in meditation, for one to take what they need and leave the rest?  Can I accept and enjoy the enhancements in physical, mental and emotional health without getting into the spiritual unfoldment and/or infinite consciousness part?  Or is that akin to buying a diamond ring just for the nice box and too ridiculous, in your opinion? 

You mean like some sweet-tooth fat lady who thinks to drop her weight down to a certain number and, once that is achieved, goes back to eating junk food and candy? Yes, it's possible to do so, but this means that none of the intended benefits of the discipline will be achieved.

On the holistic view, not just some of the benefits go amiss this way, but all of it. It's like temporarily dropping tobacco and liquor and, as soon as health has improved to a tolerable degree, return to the old habits. Despite some temporary physiological and even mental benefits, this means the loss of all benefits, because the essential emphasis is psychological, focused on ethical self-discipline and spirituality.

Another way in which you could have meant the question is to take only the techniques of the discipline, but omit the doctrinal ballast such as worshipful humble attitude for God/Buddha, and firm spiritual focus on liberation/salvation. It's possible to do so too, but this reflects defective comprehension of the purpose of the discipline. Opting for half-adherence according to your own liking will give you either half-hearted practice with half-baked results or it disables the internal control mechanism, thus multiplying the dangers that go along with the discipline. It's the equivalent of holding a gun in your hand and not caring if it's loaded or not and where the trigger is and where the barrel is directed.

For example you may end up with highly volatile psychology or you may get depression and inadvertently deepen it beyond repair. See, Frenzie here even thinks depression is an ordinary and legitimate result of the practice. This is one way to end up when you take what you like instead of what is necessary.

It's not ridiculous. It's dangerous.

Reply #84
At the risk of, once again, sounding ignorant to you (and I’m not afraid of that), is it possible, in meditation, for one to take what they need and leave the rest?  Can I accept and enjoy the enhancements in physical, mental and emotional health without getting into the spiritual unfoldment and/or infinite consciousness part?

Here's ersi's favorite "New Atheist": http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/how-to-meditate

Here's another one: http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2014/06/13/secular-meditation-meditation-as-a-pleasure/

See, Frenzie here even thinks depression is an ordinary and legitimate result of the practice.

No, I do not. And not only because you keep misinterpreting the word.

Reply #85
I await the comments of people more interesting than me… :)

[Belfrage was right, in at least this: this "trinity" of threads is inextricably twined…]
进行 ...

Reply #86

See, Frenzie here even thinks depression is an ordinary and legitimate result of the practice.

No, I do not. And not only because you keep misinterpreting the word.

Hmm, three possible responses to that.

#1: If it's the standard psychological term, it's you who is doing the misinterpretation, not me.

#2: If it's not the standard psychological term, you failed to define it.

#3: Re "No, I do not." I guess it's fair enough that you basically retract the statement that there should be often depression involved, which later morphed into "some form of depression" and now basically into something called depression but probably some different thing under the same name.

Reply #87
Never took too much seriously this meditation thing.
Probably because of the association with all that pro oriental wanna be Buddhist like, so trendy these days amongst entire generations of western culture orphans and disorient people and to whom the first step seems to be... let's do meditation.

I know and have deep respect for the Catholic tradition of worshiping Saints that have entered into a state of religious ecstasy but usually, and as much as I know about it, such cases are more interpreted as a calling from God, something thats distinguishes a few chosen ones than a volunteer discipline method for the masses in order to achieve such state of awareness.

Ersi seems to value it very much... I don't know.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #88
You mean like some sweet-tooth fat lady who thinks to drop her weight down to a certain number and, once that is achieved, goes back to eating junk food and candy? Yes, it's possible to do so, but this means that none of the intended benefits of the discipline will be achieved.

Not at all like this--what made you jump to such a silly and illogical conclusion from what I asked you?  Btw, your prejudice against overweight people is shinning through here, do you call your overweight friends "fat" too or was that strictly for my benefit? 

I didn't meditate just once or twice to slop up a little insight and focus only to go back to my boorish philistine ways, as you seem to imply here.  The mindfulness meditation I use is distinct in that it is not directed toward getting me to be different from how I am already. It simply helps me become aware of what is already true moment by moment in and about my life.  No two meditations are exactly the same for me in that I don't repeat mantras seeking supernatural 'whatevers' to some end, but hey--knock yourself out, of course.   :cheers:  :knight:

James J

Reply #89

Never took too much seriously this meditation thing.
Probably because of the association with all that pro oriental wanna be Buddhist like, so trendy these days amongst entire generations of western culture orphans and disorient people and to whom the first step seems to be... let's do meditation.

In Christianity it's called contemplation. In English translations at least.

Yes, I know the practice has become highly consumerised. However, I know about this only through the media and I am not personally affected. It has some benefits to live at some godforsaken countryside in a border province nobody cares about.

Ersi seems to value it very much... I don't know.

Ruysbroeck (several spelling variants) is my favourite among Christian authors. The practise itself is not directly dependent on any particular author, but about finding the text/teaching that makes perfect sense throughout and reads like a manual, map or guide. Some authors write in a technical way, just like you would expect from a handbook (for example John Climacus). However, whatever the superficial genre, it must strongly invite to follow and call for personal implementation.

But in case it feels anything else, like weird or like ridiculous, it's evidently not your thing. It doesn't have to be everybody's thing. The society where everyone is a monk would not make sense.

Not at all like this--what made you jump to such a silly and illogical conclusion from what I asked you?

So it was the other option. No problem :) I was just making clear how staunchly anti-consumerist I am.

The mindfulness meditation I use is distinct in that it is not directed toward getting me to be different from how I am already.

Look, I don't like to point out to you every time you are wrong, so I'll be very gentle this time: Last time you told me about it, there was more to the story, and the extra info yielded a very different conclusion :)

Read it again. Slowly if you must.
Once the experience subsides there is often a sense of depression

You know, like post-coital depression.

Now you're talking :)

I admit that this is comparable in a queer way, but post-coital depression is not really depression, is it? It's pretty obviously the wrong word to describe the post-coital state of mind where much more goes on than depression. In case depression really prevails for you after coitus, then there's no other way to put it than that it went wrong :) Even if those, should we say, coitus experts or whoever are in the habit of using this term, it's an evident misnomer.

And it's obvious from this that your sources are definitely not mystics at all. At most they are theoreticians with their curiosity focused on mystics, not more. Absolutely certain :)

Btw, I know about Harris's interest in - and alleged practice of - meditation, so, arguendo, let's consider him a legitimate source. At the link you gave, he says: "Cultivating this quality of mind has been shown to modulate pain, mitigate anxiety and depression, ..."

I could say "Case closed," but seriously, I don't consider Harris a good source for anything, so you can keep choosing your gospel and make of it whatever you wish.

Reply #90
Sam Harris' work is nowhere near as controversial as it should be, I'd agree; and an obvious example of how not to do reductionism:)
进行 ...

Reply #91
it's easy to mindful when mind is not full

Reply #92
Harris has been defeated more soundly and thoroughly than I defeated you, Oakdale. One might wonder how's that even possible, but it is...

(There will be a reply to the philosophy thread some day soon.)

Reply #93
@ersi: :)
进行 ...

Reply #94
I could say "Case closed," but seriously, I don't consider Harris a good source for anything, so you can keep choosing your gospel and make of it whatever you wish.

You realize, of course, that I only included the man because of your obsession. Nothing he ever wrote is considered a standard reference work on anything.

Anyhoo, I include below the reply I wrote but decided to delete until I was feeling nicer. I didn't realize it had already been read.
#2: If it's not the standard psychological term, you failed to define it.

Try a dictionary. For example, here's the regular meaning, going back many centuries.
Quote from: OED
6. a. The condition of being depressed in spirits; dejection.

Then there's this newfangled more restrictive sense within psychology.
Quote from: OED
b. Psychol. Freq. a sign of psychiatric disorder or a component of various psychoses, with symptoms of misery, anguish, or guilt accompanied by headache, insomnia, etc.

#3: Re "No, I do not." I guess it's fair enough that you basically retract the statement that there should be often depression involved, which later morphed into "some form of depression" and now basically into something called depression but probably some different thing under the same name.

Read it again. Slowly if you must.
Once the experience subsides there is often a sense of depression

You know, like post-coital depression.

More to the point, observing that most people say "ain't" is not the same thing as stating that "ain't" is proper English.

Reply #95
And I didn't realise you could ever feel anything nice about me, Frenzie. Nice about me? Really? Please post the nice version too some day :)

Reply #96
You've got 999 posts right this moment; that's nice. ;)

But seriously, thanks for your support for DnD since the beginning. :)

Reply #97
It's nice to have someone to debate with, even if we're not always nice about it. :)

Reply #98
@ensbb3: :yes:
进行 ...

Reply #99
There have been too many smiles around... if we don't pay attention this will turn into a soap opera...
Okay, just one more :)
I like to see my friends happy.
A matter of attitude.