Skip to main content

Poll

Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to own, carry, & use Firearms to defend their own lives, & the lives of their family & friends?

Absolutely Yes!
I thinks so.
I don't think so.
Definitely No!
My name isn't String, so let me have a icy cold beer so I can ponder the options...
Topic: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms? (Read 334957 times)

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #850
Thanks for that.
Madness.

Reply #851
They needed a longer barrel. Perhaps copper would of been a better way to bind them and depending on the charge they used. They might have gotten a tighter cluster anyway. Those things flailed around pretty bad. Smaller blades would fly better. :whistle:

** Or one large blade embedded in a slug... :sherlock:

Reply #852
How about some small round lead shot? Perhaps about BB size.
I suspect that they would group better and make a more satisfying mess of a melon.
I also suspect that the guy who came up with the idea in the first place is certifiable.
Are those little blades still called X-acto? I last had some in 1949

Reply #853
How about some small round lead shot? Perhaps about BB size.

Well yeah. But they call that buckshot. :P
I suspect that they would group better and make a more satisfying mess of a melon.

You can get an even tighter pattern if you add a restrictor to the end of the barrel. I've got a 20 gauge I keep one on.
I also suspect that the guy who came up with the idea in the first place is certifiable.

I didn't check out their channel, but sadly those fuckers probably make more money than me for what amounts to internet panhandling.

Though two seconds into a network 'reality' show you realize maybe people just like to watch stupid shit, lol.

Reply #854
I have a suspicion that it's impossible to get X-acto knives (they still make em and call them that-- I still dabble a bit in model boats and these hobbyist knives are staples in any model-building work) anywayy- that X-acto knives won't group precisely because of their shapes. Getting ANY group of flat metal pieces to group when fired from a shotgun is probably impossible-- because as soon as the blades clear the muzzle, the surrounding air tears the group apart and that thin steel just won't fly straight.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #855
because as soon as the blades clear the muzzle, the surrounding air tears the group apart and that thin steel just won't fly straight.

I'd only argue that with enough punch you can make anything fly more or less straight. For the first few feet they were clustered even out of the sawed-off. They caught air as they came apart and because of their size burned off energy faster. Smaller blades would indeed do the same but I'd wager a marked improvement in range and damage. Shotgun isn't exactly a long range weapon anyway. Decent range on a slug perhaps. Some people deer hunt with those.

Reply #856
Long, long ago I used to prospect for gold in some pretty wild country that was infested with huge feral pigs
They were afraid of nothing and the only thing that stopped them was a twelve gauge slug.
A fellow optimist had a M1 carbine. With perhaps some Outback flair for oratorical embroidery he claimed it was useless. "The bullet goes in one end and comes out the other and the bloody pig just keeps coming at you like a freight train."
"Freight train" was a bit of an exaggeration, but he would have been quite credible had he said "small car".
They looked so dreadful that I was never tempted to butcher one.

Reply #857

They were probably healthier to eat than the factory farm raised ones that grew up in cramped cages and constant fresh epidemics among the animals from the unsanitary conditions :left:

Reply #858
Nothing new department: The X-acto knife in a shotgun has been done before, in different ways.

Way back in the days of sail, wooden ships and iron men, they used to load cannons with something called "langrage". This consisted of nails, bits of pottery, pistol shot, chains and anything else that could be loaded through the muzzle of the gun. This special brand of nasty was then aimed at the enemy ship, where the idea was that all of this screaming junk would cut down rigging, sails and any men it happened to slice through.The fact that langrage would spread out after leaving the muzzle was actually an advantage, since that would help spread the damage in the enemy ship's rigging. Bringing down a mast early in the conflict gave your ship-- which still had its rigging intact-- a tactical advantage since you could still maneuver.
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #859
"Freight train" was a bit of an exaggeration, but he would have been quite credible had he said "small car".

I've heard tale. Hunting wild boar is a thing in this state. I've a buddy that hunts with a club somewhere in the east part of the state. Apparently they use heavy caliber rifles and ambush tactics to bring them down.

Reply #860

I'm guessing that's what the pig thought as he looked at you.

Reply #862

I've a buddy that hunts with a club somewhere in the east part of the state.

Close.
Membership only though. Pay a few thousand a year then you can hide behind fortifications on some fenced acreage and slaughter the little piggies too.

Reply #863
Maybe the buddy with the club wants to be a US policeman?
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #864
OK. Now we're talking! Home security you can believe in.

Get a guard dog, post signs. Equip dog with machine gun--- NOBODY will mess with your stuff.

Reply #865
Oh heavens they would be as bad as city police forces!  :lol:

Reply #866
And the beat goes on ................

Quote from:      Tennessee: Pro-Gun Legislation    http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=SB0700   
Senate Bill 700/ House Bill 745, sponsored by state Senator Frank S. Niceley (R-08) and state Representative John B. Holsclaw, Jr. (R-04) respectively, would create a lifetime handgun carry permit which entitles the permit holder to carry any handgun that the permit holder legally owns or possesses without expiration, and sets the application fee for a lifetime handgun carry permit.....

Quote from:      Tennessee: Pro-Gun Legislation  http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=SB0149  
Senate Bill 149/ House Bill 173, sponsored by state Senator Mark Green (R-22) and state Representative Debra Moody (R-81) respectively, would remove the provision making it illegal to possess a firearm on any property used by a school for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

West Virginia also has some special pending delights that are due to pass into law ............  Read about them here.

Reply #867
Living in the past. Damnably gun mad place. And has the gun fanatic lobby been an achievement? Nope. You have never grown up and small wonder headshrinkers are big business.  :faint:

Reply #868
Big news from my new hometown, Nashville, Tennessee. I going to dinner with neighbors, otherwise I'd be there to watch the gunslingers and their Republican supporters walk in the door.
It's the starting premise of any presidential primary. And on Friday afternoon in Nashville, a dozen potential hopefuls for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination will each get their shots at energizing one of the GOP's biggest constituencies.

The National Rifle Association's annual convention — set to begin Friday at Nashville's Music City Center — has long been the go-to event for Second Amendment activists and conservatives. And since 2007, the NRA has become an annual stage for virtually every Republican weighing runs for the Oval Office.

This year's NRA Leadership Forum, scheduled for 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday, features the longest list of possible presidential candidates in the history of the 144-year-old meeting. And the gathering is particularly timely.

The NRA convention, on the heels of the Conservative Political Action Conference in February and the Iowa Ag Summit last month, sets up as the third side-by-side gathering of Republican presidential hopefuls this year. Voting begins eight months from now in Iowa, and the field is starting to come together.

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas was the first to announce his run, followed this week by another tea party Republican, U.S. Rand Paul of Kentucky.

Cruz is among those slated to speak Friday. Others expected to speak are former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Dr. Ben Carson, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, former Texas Gov. Rick Perry, U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania and billionaire businessman Donald Trump. Indiana Gov. Mike Pence was scheduled to speak but canceled on Friday. Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin also canceled her appearance.

Reply #869
 :o

Reply #870

:o

And you were expecting what? Nashville is in the heart of Redneck country. Any pickup truck which hasn't got a shotgun rack in it and two coon dogs in back isn't worth the bother of having. Maybe change "coon dogs" out for "Fifth-wheel hitch" if it's a 6-wheel pickup truck pulling a horse trailer. That's the NRA's natural home, m'boy.

Reply #871
Hhm, well fair enough that it is home ground for the gunners but I am afraid they have spread everywhere these days.

Reply #872
...Nashville is in the heart of Redneck country. Any pickup truck which hasn't got a shotgun rack in it and two coon dogs in back...

Ha-Ha-Ha sucker! I ain't got no gun rack nor no 'coon hounds.
Mines a bird dog!
...truck pulling a horse trailer.

Oh, wait...  :worried:

Reply #873
Given the recent spate of toddler rampage, it is clear that the only way to stop a bad toddler with a gun is a good toddler with a gun. Thus this proposed Alabama law does not go far enough: New Alabama Law Will Allow Children To Have Handguns

Reply #874
 :lol: