Skip to main content

Poll

Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to own, carry, & use Firearms to defend their own lives, & the lives of their family & friends?

Absolutely Yes!
I thinks so.
I don't think so.
Definitely No!
My name isn't String, so let me have a icy cold beer so I can ponder the options...
Topic: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms? (Read 335087 times)

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #826
No small wonder mental health is a big money maker in the ex-colonies.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #828
Maybe one day I understand why a law-abiding citizen would need or even want an armor piercing bullet. The mugger isn't gonna have the foresight to wear a Kevlar vest, is he? :p I even further doubt a deer would have one.

Reply #829
Maybe one day I understand why a law-abiding citizen would need or even want an armor piercing bullet.

Perhaps you will, when you cease arguing from ignorance… Calling a common round for the AR-15 "armor-piercing" is akin to rhetorical "Assault Weapons Ban" that lately lapsed — without ill effects.
(The misnomer "cop killer" bullets is another fine example…)

If you don't hunt or shoot for sport, what do you know about the issue? Beyond the editorials you've read, I mean…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #830

Maybe one day I understand why a law-abiding citizen would need or even want an armor piercing bullet. The mugger isn't gonna have the foresight to wear a Kevlar vest, is he? :p I even further doubt a deer would have one.

"Need" has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The Second Amendment wasn't inserted just because we like shooting Bambi, or clay targets, or winning gold medals at the Olympics, or putting game on the dinner table, or just protecting ourselves against muggers.

The Second Amendment was inserted into our Constitution primarily to protect ourselves from a tyrannical Government, or to put it in the simplest of terms, protect ourselves from an over zealous police force acting in the interests of a tyrannical government.

I ask ...... What part of the Second Amendment do you not understand?

[glow=blue,2,300]"......shall not be infringed." [/glow]

There weren't any defining clauses related to that in the Second Amendment were there?

Not giving the Government one (1), uno, single,  millimeter is the ultimate Second Amendment position, no matter how many voices clamor that the general public has no common sense "need" for such a bullet, such a firearm, such an anything.

If you want another position, go get a 28th Amendment passed repealing the 2nd Amendment in total ....until then it is what it is.

No Compromise whatsoever, ever.........period, end of story.  

But, then again, out of a willingness to understand & discuss the issues of the day, when Nuclear Devices are on the bargaining table, ask me again.  You might get a slightly different answer --- flexibility should never be ruled out when discussing Nuclear. 

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5ELyG9V1SY[/VIDEO]

Reply #831
I found the answer on my own, aside from Oakdale's assumptions that I haven't hunted or shot for sport. One day he'll learn to read what I actually write instead of trying to fabricate my positions for me :rolleyes: .Telfon coated bullets cause less wear on the gun barrel than normal bullets.

Reply #832
Telfon coated bullets cause less wear on the gun barrel than normal bullets.

Would you have bothered to look, had I not piqued you? :)

(Did you look beyond http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teflon-coated_bullet ?)
In reality, as noted above, Teflon and similar coatings were used primarily as a means to protect the gun barrel from the hardened brass bullet, and, secondarily, to reduce ricochet against hard, angled surfaces.
Needless to say (???), the police would be concerned about ricochets…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #833
"Ask, and ye shall receive."

Why would a hunter need armor-piercing bullets? Maybe for rabbit-hunting.

What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #835
Nah illinois man. Rabbits are too tame and shooting humans obviously more enjoyable especially if you have a police uniform.   :D

Reply #836
[glow=blue,2,300]WHY?
Because we can! 

God Bless the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. 

Courtesy of the Red, White, & Blue.
[/glow]

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgAJTeD1vmI[/VIDEO]

Reply #837
You lot seem so damn childish and very immature as a race of people. That it is such a violent and dangerous place is understandable and millions in jails and head shrinkers are so popular as they will never run out of clients.

Reply #838

You lot seem so damn childish and very immature as a race of people. That it is such a violent and dangerous place is understandable and millions in jails and head shrinkers are so popular as they will never run out of clients.

Don't you and Smileyfaze get tired of posting the same crap over and over and over? Lord, man, you're another version of Smileyfaze, one of you a U.S. basher, the other a guy who thinks somebody is coming for his guns.
==========================================
That said, another shooting, this time in Mesa, Az. One dead, five wounded. Big country, so it'll never end. Based on the image, real surprise, eh?

Reply #839
Well now jimbro if your place did not have such a might over-the-top attitude of itself and back off from the world one would not have any corner to duel on. As for Smiley he factually represents tens of millions of your countrymen so you have the inherent problem that gives much paper ammunition so to speak.  Get out more!

Reply #840
If I were Emperor of the World:

Everybody would be allowed--- nay REQUIRED-- to have whatever sort of gun their hearts desired. Anything from pop-guns to anti-tank weapons--- you name it, it's all fair game. If you can mount them and have room to swing the guns around-- even the main battery from an Iowa-class battle ship is fair game. If you can't protect your home with that---- just what kind of neighborhood DO you live in, anyway? Thought of moving? Except for RJHowie of course. He wouldn't be allowed anything because of his stance on everything.

I would be the only person allowed to have ammunition. That's because most people can't be trusted with anything more dangerous than a box of rubber-bands. It goes without saying I would confiscate RJHowie's rubber bands.
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #841
And in confiscating my rubber bands I would be worried if you sent an ex-colonist policeman.

Reply #843
[video]https://youtu.be/1nAfWfF4TjM[/video]

Reply #844
Maybe Smiley if your corner were not so childishly gun mad there would not be overcrowded jails for a start.

Reply #845
[glow=black,2,300]Guns & Scotland[/glow]

What the Scots themselves say about Gun Ownership

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb7S2i68MM[/VIDEO]

Reply #846
In present dy terms I would tell you this - we have around 12 or just over murders. In a city the same size over the pond would that be normal?? Interesting report by the BBC here....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-22276018

And here is another thing for your corner Smiley. When I was first sworn in on the Bench we were taken to the city's jail for a tour. The official told us something that i already knew. Towards the end of the tour he smiled and told us he was an RC and made me frown but he had a humorous touch when he told us (again I knew this) that the jail catchment area had a Catholic population amounting to 18% but the RC figures in Barlinnie was a 38% rate! In many places crime is small but in parts of the East End and northeast where there are a lot of your folk there crime is always a problem. That prison official having sense of humour said it was probably because  a person could do something bad go to confession and he could then get on with another incident. We all laughed but the stats prove a point!

It is the same west of the city in West Dunbartonshire and especially towns like Dumbarton and the same [proportions apply. Maybe you might want to muse as to why so many of your background tend to be so criminal and usally have a long Irish connection from the past (uh-oh, Sanguinemoon has sat up!). I am fortunate to live in an area with a goodly Prot population so I can smile and relax.

Reply #848
The Australian guy makes sense. A gun does little good if it's halfway across the room-- and I can't imagine too many females would be thrilled at the prospect of making whoopie with a man who wears his holster even while---.  

Now--- I can almost expect Smiley to come in right about now and say something as ridiculous in favor of guns as RJ says against them--- I half expect he DOES wear his holster while making whoopie--- and probably firing off shots from his AR15 when he reaches "that moment". Living near Smiley must be an adventure.

(Oh, blast: I never have Ragman available when I really need him--- he's an expert in coming up with appropriate inappropriate cartoons for just this sort of thing.)

Reply #849
"Never bring a knife to a gunfight."

How about if I bring both? 12 X-Acto blades loaded into a shotgun shell. Think that might work?

Well, maybe not as well as one would hope. The blades could hardly be kept together, and they didn't make as effective a round as you could wish for-- but the psychological effect of seeing that being loaded and pointed in the direction of the enemy just might be worth something.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s_97ukmgXE[/video]