Skip to main content

Poll

Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to own, carry, & use Firearms to defend their own lives, & the lives of their family & friends?

Absolutely Yes!
I thinks so.
I don't think so.
Definitely No!
My name isn't String, so let me have a icy cold beer so I can ponder the options...
Topic: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms? (Read 335090 times)

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #750
May I almost with a groan remind you of my visit to that prison and what the senior official said about the RC's being totally out of proportion to their numbers

Again why is that? A common complaint among of African Americans is they get arrested for trivial crimes such a smoking marijuana they white people usually get away with. Some research bears this out, with roughly the same percentage of whites smoking it as blacks, but they stand a far greater chance at arrest. That being the case, why should I assume Scots are actually committing fewer crimes? Scotland as the additional problem of large sectarian organization such as the Orange Order that still cling to centuries old religious feuds. It seems plausible enough that you Orangemen in the the police force.

Reply #751
Gun Mania!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-31082294
A three-year-old American boy has shot his mother and father with the same bullet after pulling a gun from her handbag, police say.

The incident took place in a motel room on Saturday afternoon in Albuquerque in the state of New Mexico.

The toddler was apparently reaching for an iPod.

The bullet passed through his father's buttock and hit his mother, who is eight months pregnant, in the arm. Both parents are said to be recovering.

Reply #752
Heard of this event and a very sad and head shaking thing. It kind of illustrates however that there have been actual occasions whn older children know what they are doing and some actually encouraged to us them.

On a wider point as i have already said this subject went on and on re the old Opera Forum and now another 33 pages on this so how long can going round in circles go on? All it is in practice is a plaything mindset for the bairns mentality of Smiley.
Pointless.  :furious:
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #753
Pro-gun bill hits target with House

Quote from:      The Wyoming Tribune       http://bit.ly/1F414Gl    

CHEYENNE - The state House overwhelmingly voted Monday to pass a bill that would allow guns in public schools and other government buildings.

House Bill 114 is known as Wyoming Repeal Gun Free Zones Act. It was approved on a 42-17 vote.

The proposal, which has sparked heated testimony from education and pro-gun groups, now advances to the state Senate.

The legislation would allow holders of concealed-carry permits to possess firearms in public K-12 schools, at the University of Wyoming and in community college buildings.

It also would allow permit holders to bring firearms to K-12, collegiate or pro athletic events and any meetings of governmental bodies, including hearings at the State Capitol.

State law now lets residents carry firearms that are either concealed or openly carried throughout most of the state. But schools, college campuses and many government buildings are considered "gun-free zones."

Rep. Allen Jaggi, R-Lyman, is the bill's lead sponsor. He said gun-free zones are a public safety risk because the only people who have guns in those places are the potential criminals.

"(This bill) gives the bad guys, who don't care what the laws are, something to think about as they go in," he said. "I would like to tell you that most of the bad shootings - just about every bad shooting - have been in a gun-free zone."   .....continued

It's about time ........... & it's only the tip of the iceberg  --  29 more States are preparing similar legislation to
eliminate    "Gun Free Zones"    AKA     "Criminal Opportunity Zones"  

Makes ya wanna pull a hair out don't it RJ??

Reply #754
What data do we have concerning a member of the public actually being able to stop a criminal in places like that versus guns fired in anger during an altercation in which both participants should just be able dust themselves off and go about their business after the fight (in other words, creating more crime and violence?) The "Gun-Free Zone" sign isn't for career criminals, it's for people that aren't criminals...yet. People such Rep. Jaggi don't seem to understand that there are an aweful lot of folks that are but one rash act away from becoming criminals.

Maybe a bill like that is okay for Wyoming. It's low population state with no large cities. Even a city the size of Las Vegas, the likelihood of encountering a person that might not have a criminal record yet but is somewhat emotionally unstable increases greatly. Therefore it's fortunate that the people won't carry a gun in a public place. Recall that the individuals in question are otherwise law abiding.

Perhaps decisions to abolish or keep gun-free zones are best left to the state and county. Geographically speaking, most of Nevada is probably okay allowing people to carry guns wherever they want. There you have counties the size of whole eastern states, but with the population of a single small town. In Clark County and Las Vegas proper, it might not be such a good idea.

Reply #755
Perhaps decisions to abolish or keep gun-free zones are best left to the state and county.

I concur to a degree.

If the State decides to abolish statewide on a specific date say, municipalities, & other localities can tender for an exemption application, which could be decided by open hearings before a tribunal, or a panel of citizens (chosen similar to a jury) from the petitioning localities, prior to the enactment date.

Reply #756
One aspect of the gun control debates that I feel has been overlooked is that what works in (insert little town of 500), Wyoming might be a disaster waiting to happen Las Vegas or Los Angeles. But it doesn't right for the bigger cities to dictate policy for the tiny towns, either.

The "gun-free" zones might be different too. Here were have armed school police, UNLV police are armed and have arrest powers - not just fail "citizen's arrest" that the criminal can just run away from. So zones aren't necessarily gun free. I doubt small districts and colleges can afford actual police as security something does happen. Ps, it was funny seeing speeders pulled over and presumably ticketed near campus not by MetroPD but by the campus police.

Reply #757
Are guns allowed in Congress and in the Senate? If not why not?

Seems sensible to me; legislators should live or die with what they create.

Reply #759

Are guns allowed in Congress and in the Senate? If not why not?

No, I've always had to surrender my firearm when entering both, when I had a valid permit.

Why, I think your own imagination should adequately answer that for you.

DC itself is presently being sued regarding carry permits.

BTW.....JFYI....before arriving at the screening area, I have always made damn sure I presented my special issued (issued in 1989, renewed annually, rescinded in 1997....they are as common as hen's teeth) carry permit, & they knew I was carrying well in advance. I always had my firearm prepared properly for storage, unloaded, & in it's own 2 compartment lock-case that I provided -- the same I use on aircraft. I haven't been in DC since December 1996.

I agree 100%, but I doubt that will ever happen. 

Reply #760

Quite correct and not just with gun legislation. They inflict all sorts of wrong headed laws on the people, often because they were all but bribed to do so since money is now free speech, but are immune to the consequences of their idiocy.

Reply #761
Just wondering: Does anybody think well of Congress? Anybody? Anybody?

Reply #762

Nope. I voted for "the other guy" anyway. So----- the two senators from Illinois and the congressperson from my district got voted in by somebody else.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #763
OK. Now we're talking. I really want to be in control of this gun! (OK, I can dream, can't I?)

According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #765
Bizarre tragedy captured by police car dash top camera.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNo4Bpl9JoA[/video]

Reply #766

From my calculations, there's a 100 percent probability they're a bunch of clueless assmonkeys doing tricks for a treat.

Reply #767
And that's being kind.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #768
And yet you both voted for them! (Or stayed home, gazing at your navels… :) ) You should both look up the definition of "disinterested"…
It doesn't mean what you think.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #769
Bet you wish you were James Bond, mjsmsprt40.

Reply #771
Who wants to be in control of this gun? It shoots hamburgers, hot-dogs and BBQ ribs--- among other things. Better get a ladder, because the beer is on the house....

Reply #772
Now that is a more constructive mindset than the widespread Smiley brained. Well done Chago man.

Reply #773
[glow=green,2,300]Gun owners keep the Gun-Control mob's feet to the fire,
attack their measures all across America.
[/glow]

[glow=blue,2,300]Colorado plunges into gun debate with GOP flexing new muscle. [/glow]

Quote from:      Yahoo! News      http://yhoo.it/1BHxOH4    

DENVER (AP) — Colorado Republican leaders have begun a legislative push to repeal recently passed gun control measures, reigniting one of the most intense political debates in recent history.

The first advance came Monday as discussion started on several measures in each chamber. One of the most prominent measures — a longshot bill that would undo expanded background-check requirements on private and online sales — was passed by a Senate committee.

The GOP-introduced measures come as the party has gained a new majority in the state Senate and as the man charged in the suburban Denver theater shooting rampage, which touched off the fight over gun laws, goes to trial facing the death penalty.

Lawmakers have wrestled over gun control in Congress and in state legislatures across the U.S. since President Barack Obama and other Democratic leaders led the call for new restrictions after the 2012 theater rampage and another mass shooting months later at a Connecticut elementary school. Dozens were killed and wounded in the attacks.

Colorado, with Democrats in control of both chambers of state government and the governor's office at the time, was one of the only states to pass changes, including a measure limiting the size of ammunition magazines and another that expanded background-check requirements. But it came at great political cost. Two Democratic state senators were recalled over their support for the restrictions, and a third resigned as a campaign to oust her was mounting.

Republicans have maintained that the legislation is ineffective and burdensome to enforce, and they have made it a priority to go after the measures...............................continued

The passed restrictions has had little, if any, affect on criminal activity in the State, & again law abiding citizens are unjustly most affected. Hopefully these efforts will be successful, & if so will further the rights of all gun owners nationwide against ill-advised, ineffectual laws that only infringe upon our legitimate rights, the rights of law abiding American Citizens,  to keep & bear arms.

Any infringement upon the Inalienable Rights of American Citizens to keep & bear arms [glow=blue,2,300]is totally unacceptable, [/glow] & must be completely abolished ----- without compromise!
[/b]

Reply #774
Well interesting guff from a country that has never grown up is gun mad and run about shooting thousands a year as is their right. They don't mind so we can go on in the world laughing as heck at the place!