Skip to main content

Poll

Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to own, carry, & use Firearms to defend their own lives, & the lives of their family & friends?

Absolutely Yes!
I thinks so.
I don't think so.
Definitely No!
My name isn't String, so let me have a icy cold beer so I can ponder the options...
Topic: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms? (Read 334957 times)

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #650

Yet, even with what RJ lists as his overwhelming  reasons not to go there, America is still the most desired place where peoples from all around the world still wish to migrate to. [...]

About 13% of the world's adults -- or about 630 million people -- say they would like to leave their country and move somewhere else permanently. For roughly 138 million people, that somewhere else would be the U.S. -- the No. 1 desired destination for potential migrants. Canada, France, and the U.K. also rank among some of the other top choices for potential migrants.

This argument is more in favour of rjhowie. USA is a bigger country, so would have more name recognition. A somewhat more useful metric would be to see how much bigger the population of the country would be if everyone who wanted to immigrate could, In that case the US does relatively badly, and worse than rjhowie's Britain. Only Germany does worse than the US in this list.

CountryImmigrantsNativesPop. increase
USA13831943%
UK426466%
Canada3736103%
France316647%
Saudi-Arabia293291%
Germany288135%
Australia2624108%

Reply #651
Have been in the ex-colonies twice some years ago and my list today shows my reluctance to return.

And anyway it is as we all know a great fun game using stats for everything! The USA constantly brags about being the greatest democracy the greatest in everything so one can almost understand why the place tops the list.However the daily practice of living there is for all to see in the list I gave and which it is very hard to ignore for the broader mind. Poverty, losing things or having to fight for basic things or rights does show the reason not to go there and with 40 million lost to a decent life contradicts emigrating unless you have a good contact or resources so Smile's propaganda is rubbished in my list. That the comfortable off there can wax about the freedoms, democracy fibs is routine and the mindset of the 1950's.  So that picture i give still stands and difficult to challenge.   8)

Heavens, I would rather live in Edinburgh!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #652
1. Edinburgh wouldn't have you.

2. Six people in the entire world want to go to Scotland.

3. Happy holiday!

Reply #653
Oh, boy-- just thought of something.

This time of year, we have a story going around about a fellow who is famous for making late-night un-announced visits to people's houses, and he rarely if ever uses the front door or rings the doorbell. His preferred method of entry in houses that still have that possibility is through the chimney.

So--- what happens when Santa visits Smiley's house? Smiley's first response to noises made at night appears to be to grab his AR-15 and shoot first. I suppose all that padding Santa wears might make an effective bullet-proof vest, but just think of all the coal Smiley's been getting in his stocking over the years from these incidents!
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #654
So--- what happens when Santa visits Smiley's house? Smiley's first response to noises made at night appears to be to grab his AR-15 and shoot first.

True enough. But you're forgetting the Jolly Old Elf (tm) is immortal. He's not only immune from death from old age, but also from violent ones. How many times should he been burned to death over the centuries by a lit fireplace? So if Smiley shot him, I imagine he's be like Captain Jack Harkness from the show Torchwood and just wake up a couple minutes later and say "Not again :irked: "

Reply #655
Well if among the 6 jimbro it had better not include that dumbell McCain, your terrorist and patriotic madman  SmileyFaze or the Windy City resident mjsmsprt40who thinks a Monarchist can be a Red ( :faint:). If that doesn't make you groan when thinking on it don't come on the same plane.  As for Edinburgh I can adapt to wherever I am and being posh is dead easy but then the Edinburgh posh would still be envious.

Reply #656
Howie, nobody called you Red. He merely pointed out that the presentation style of those statistics reminded him of communist propaganda at his former workplace. That doesn't mean that what you posted is communist. See the difference? Those numbers are so far out of context that they clearly are somebody's propaganda.

You express umbrage that you feel you've been called a communist, even though you haven't been. Yet you refuse to reveal your source. Interesting. 

Reply #658

So--- what happens when Santa visits Smiley's house?

You know damned well what happens!

Yes Jimbro, we so do!!!!!

[move]
   MERRY  [glow=black,2,300] CHRIST[/glow]MAS    MERRY  [glow=black,2,300] CHRIST[/glow]MAS       MERRY  [glow=black,2,300] CHRIST[/glow]MAS        MERRY  [glow=black,2,300] CHRIST[/glow]MAS   [/move]

Reply #659
Well mjsmsprt40 it the immature and childish mind set like Smiley that give your country a ba name and the world wrongly thinks eveyone there is off the kilter because they brag, shoot and mouth off like kids they mentally are.

Reply #660
From an Anti-Second Amendment/Anti-Firearms publication (Bloomberg BusinessWeek) who, irregardless their ludicrously low figures on DGU, in the end seem to feel that DGU has it's merits, & needs further in-depth investigation.

[glow=blue,2,300]How Often Do We Use Guns in Self-Defense?
[/glow]

Quote from:      Bloomberg BusinessWeek      http://buswk.co/1vCiBiP    

“The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.”

If you had to sum up the National Rifle Association’s response to the Newtown (Conn.) school massacre, and to any proposal for tougher gun-control laws, that one sentence from the NRA’s Dec. 21 press conference pretty much does the trick.

The gun owners’ lobby opposes restrictions on civilian acquisition and possession of firearms because, it contends, law-abiding people need guns to defend themselves. Millions of people also use guns for hunting and target-shooting. But at the core of the NRA’s argument is self-defense: the ultimate right to protect one’s ability to remain upright and breathing.

So how often do Americans use guns to defend themselves? If it almost never happens, then the NRA argument is based on a fallacy and deserves little respect in the fashioning of public policy. If, on the other hand, defensive gun use (DGU) is relatively common, then even a diehard gun-control advocate with any principles and common sense would admit that this fact must be given some weight.

Criminologists concur that the unusual prevalence of guns in America—some 300 million in private hands—makes our violent crime more lethal than that of other countries. (See, for example, the excellent When Brute Force Fails, by UCLA’s Mark Kleiman.) That’s the cost of allowing widespread civilian gun ownership: In this country, when someone is inclined to commit a mugging, shoot up a movie theater, or kill their spouse (or themselves), firearms are readily available.

One reason the gun debate seems so radioactive is that gun-control proponents refer almost exclusively to the cost of widespread gun ownership, while the NRA and its allies focus on guns as instruments and symbols of self-reliance. Very few, if any, participants in the conflict acknowledge that guns are both bad and good, depending on how they’re used. Robbers use them to stick up convenience stores, and convenience store owners use them to stop armed robbers.

If guns have a countervailing benefit—that lawful firearm owners frequently or even occasionally use guns to defend themselves and their loved ones—then determining how aggressively to curb private possession becomes a more complicated proposition.

As with everything else concerning guns in this country, the DGU question prompts divergent answers. At one end of the spectrum, the NRA cites research by Gary Kleck, an accomplished criminologist at Florida State University. Based on self-reporting by survey respondents, Kleck has extrapolated that DGU occurs more than 2 million times a year. Kleck doesn’t suggest that gun owners shoot potential antagonists that often. DGU covers various scenarios, including merely brandishing a weapon and scaring off an aggressor.

At the other end of the spectrum, gun skeptics prefer to cite the work of David Hemenway, an eminent public-health scholar at Harvard University. Hemenway, who analogizes gun violence to an epidemic and guns to the contagion, argues that Kleck’s research significantly overestimates the frequency of DGU.

The carping back and forth gets pretty technical, but the brief version is that Hemenway believes Kleck includes too many “false positives”: respondents who claim they’ve chased off burglars or rapists with guns but probably are boasting or, worse, categorizing unlawful aggressive conduct as legitimate DGU. Hemenway finds more reliable an annual federal government research project, called the National Crime Victimization Survey, which yields estimates in the neighborhood of 100,000 defensive gun uses per year. Making various reasonable-sounding adjustments, other social scientists have suggested that perhaps a figure somewhere between 250,000 and 370,000 might be more accurate.

What’s the upshot?

1. We don’t know exactly how frequently defensive gun use occurs.

2. A conservative estimate of the order of magnitude is tens of thousands of times a year; 100,000 is not a wild gun-nut fantasy.

3. Many gun owners (I am not one, but I know plenty) focus not on statistical probabilities, but on a worst-case scenario: They’re in trouble, and they want a fighting chance.

4. DGU does not answer any questions in this debate, but it’s a factor that deserves attention.

In the end, irregardless of who's numbers you use, or who's methodology you subscribe to, DGU is an undeniable fact, & any of the left's attempts to sugarcoat future repetitively restrictive laws on legal firearm ownership, can only negatively affect the rights of those legal firearm users that were previously spared the horrors of crime because they were able to use their legal firearms in self-defense. The left's ill-conceived new restrictive laws effectively tilt any advantage away from the legal gun user, & in the process give aid & comfort to the criminal.

Reply #661
Damn dangerous country that needs so many guns and infantile reasons given for them and a paramilitary police direction.

Reply #662

Damn dangerous country that needs so many guns and infantile reasons given for them and a paramilitary police direction.

The more the world perceives us & our wonderful --   best & greatest   on the planet -- Country as dangerous & uncivilized, all's the better!!!!!

We don't want, or need, them to come here, or least of all love us.

We're happy without the need for anyone else --  who don't see it OUR WAY   -- to come visit or move here.

You can keep all your Muslims to yerself.  

Last I seen, they're     takin' over yer ittsy-bittsy, no account, miniscule, self-proclaimed 'heaven on earth'!   

See RJ, we can deal with whatever comes our way -- police & all,  & we will do what we need to do --- OUR WAY --- to survive & enjoy what we cherish, & as far as the rest of the world  (which includes you), most Americans couldn't give a flying moose scrotum what they (which includes you) think or do.

In a nutshell, we don't do guilt, so you're waistin' yer breath ole man, & from the sounds of your 'windbaggery' you may be needin' every last puff before the death rattles take their grip, or you get beheaded in the name of Allah, whichever comes first!  

[glow=blue,2,300]
Americans at Play ....... Just some Christmas fun to warm yer lil hearts!
[/glow]

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roef4uyaA-0[/VIDEO]

[glow=blue,2,300]TIPS for Close Quarters Shooting [/glow]

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxwAzUBkGcU[/VIDEO]

[glow=green,2,300]Think Armed ........... Be Safe!
[/glow]

[Move]                                                                                                   [/Move]

Reply #663
Blah, blah blah. Whatever the hell I'm babbling about now. I don't know what it is myself.

Has it occurred to you that the US is completely different place than the UK. For instance, there are more rural areas where the gun is far more likely to be used to protect children and animals from predators than against an animal. Even at the edges of Las Vegas there are occasional of coyotes prowling the streets. I don't think you have that problem in Glasgow. In many parts of the US, people still hunt for much of their meat (and a good argument can be made that's less cruel than buying meat raised by factory farm.) What would you have them do? Throw rocks at the poor deer until it dies? (If I went Big Horn Sheep hunting and did that, the outcome of the confrontation might not be to my advantage :p )

You keep bring up the number of people killed by guns, as if being killed by a knife is better. Chicago , Detroit . and Los Angeles alone of more than a 10th of that. There are dangerous areas, but the country as a whole is not dangerous. But trying to reason with you is like doing so with a brick wall, isn't it?

Reply #667
Interesting from a boy who cannot answer any matter I challenge (typical was the inability to do anything with the list of US nonsense matters) but has to fall back to use only sniping instead of answering. You betray more about yourself than me. Considering you often slide into the same mind spot as Smiley one has to be curious about your indigenous roots.  :D

Reply #668
You can't be talking about me, because him and I butt heads frequently.

Reply #669
Kind of you to intimate the sword play Sanguinemoon whilst it is clear I wasn't indicating you but added my thoughts right after him.

Reply #670
 :sherlock: (CNN) -- The police chief in an upscale community outside Atlanta said he was sleeping when he moved a gun in the bed and accidentally shot his wife in the back, according to a 911 tape released Friday.
"Who shot her?" the 911 operator asked William McCollom, the police chief in Peachtree City, Georgia.
"Me," McCollom replied.
"How did you shoot her?"
"The gun was in the bed, I went to move it, put it to the side, and it went off," McCollom said. (CNN) -- The police chief in an upscale community outside Atlanta said he was sleeping when he moved a gun in the bed and accidentally shot his wife in the back, according to a 911 tape released Friday.
"Who shot her?" the 911 operator asked William McCollom, the police chief in Peachtree City, Georgia.
"Me," McCollom replied.
"How did you shoot her?"
"The gun was in the bed, I went to move it, put it to the side, and it went off," McCollom said. :sherlock:

Reply #671
That's really dreadful keeping an unlocked gun in the bed with the wife. Crassly stupid for someone like hi but he will be safe.

Reply #672
[glow=blue,2,300]Why most Americans oppose gun control [/glow]

Quote from:      FOX NEWS   http://fxn.ws/1w1sjup    

A new Pew Research Center survey finds that, for the first time in their surveys, the majority of Americans oppose more gun control. Gallup and CNN polls tell a similar story. Opposition to gun control has been increasing over at least the last couple of decades.

Gun control groups have spent hundreds of millions of dollars to try to convince Americans that gun control is the answer. In 2013, gun owners’ groups — including the NRA — spent less than one seventh as much on television advertisements. This year looks to be even more lopsided, thanks to the unrelenting efforts of individuals such as Michael Bloomberg, George Soros and Gabriel Giffords.

Perceptions have changed dramatically, with most people now believing the “More Guns, Less Crime” hypothesis. Gallup recently asked Americans if they thought residents are safer with a gun in the home. People answered “Yes” by a margin of 63 to 30 percent. In 2000, Americans gave just the opposite answer by a margin of 51 to 35 percent. In 2013,[3]  Sixty percent of gun owners listed “Personal Safety/Protection” as the reason for owning a gun.

Academic research aligns with current public opinion. If you have a gun in the home, that gun is far more likely to prevent murder than it is to be used in an accidental shooting or to kill a loved one.

Accidental gun deaths get a lot of press coverage, but the press is quite misleading when it talks about juvenile gun deaths . In fact, many news reports lump in young deaths involving gang fights. These deaths are also tragic, but they have nothing to do with whether law-abiding citizens should own guns.

The Centers for Disease Control reports that, in 2012, there were 58 accidental gun deaths involving children under the age of 15. More than 20 times as many children died due to accidental suffocation. In most cases, an adult accidentally shoots a child, not children shooting themselves or other children. And many of those adults have criminal records and drug or alcohol problems.

Between 2000 and 2014, the number of concealed handgun permits soared from about 2.7 million to well over 12 million.  Similarly, the annual number of federal background checks increased from 8.5 to 21 million. According to Gallup, 42 percent of Americans now have a gun in the home.

The Pew Research Center survey found that 57 percent of Americans believe gun ownership “protects people from becoming victims of crime.” Thirty-eight percent believe that it “puts people’s safety at risk.” Support for gun ownership has grown particularly sharply among blacks and women, with their support since 2012 rising by 25 and 11 percentage points respectively.

My research shows that since blacks are the most likely victims of violent crime, they are also the ones who benefit most from being able to defend themselves. Women and the elderly are especially unlikely to be able to fend off a male attacker without the benefit of a firearm.

Gary Kleck, Larry Southwick and other academics have shown that having a gun is by far the safest option when confronted by a criminal.

Police are extremely important in reducing crime. Indeed, I have found that they are by far the single most important factor. But police know that they almost always arrive on the crime scene after a crime has occurred, and because of that police are among the strongest supporters for private gun ownership.

PoliceOne, which has a membership of about 450,000 active and retired police officers, found last year that 76 percent of its members believe legally armed citizens are either extremely or very important to stopping crime. Over 91 percent of members "support the concealed carry of firearms by civilians who have not been convicted of a felony and/or not been deemed psychologically/medically incapable." This is a less stringent standard than exists in most right-to-carry states.

In the wake of tragedies such as Newtown, gun control advocates keep pushing for more restrictions. But the proposed regulations have nothing to do with the tragedies. Even Mark Glaze, who was executive director of Bloomberg’s Everytown For Gun Safety until earlier this year, conceded to the Wall Street Journal, “Is it a messaging problem when a mass shooting happens and nothing that we have to offer would have stopped that mass shooting? Sure it’s a challenge….”

Even worse for gun control advocates, people are realizing that regulations — such as gun-free zones — tend to encourage attacks by disarming law-abiding citizens instead of criminals.............continued

Do you think more guns prevents crime?      If no, Why? 

Reply #673
A colleague at work said that her apartment had been broken into twice within a 24 hour period. Her friend gave her a gun. So the apartment manager said "We really don't want you have that." So she asked where the security is and noted she wouldn't need it they did a better job of protecting the tenants she wouldn't need it.
The Pew Research Center survey found that 57 percent of Americans believe gun ownership “protects people from becoming victims of crime.” Thirty-eight percent believe that it “puts people’s safety at risk.”
Well, if a careless person has the gun, it obviously puts people at risk. You need to respect the fact that it's a weapon designed to kill.

Reply #674
Well, if a careless person has the gun, it obviously puts people at risk.

…and, obviously, making people "careless" has long been a goal. Who -I'd ask- is put at risk?
The toddler wandering in off the street at 4am? Or going two stories up and breaking down a door in a tenement apartment?
Of course, you mean the children and relatives of gun owners…

There were no "careless" persons with guns in a certain Paris location yesterday: Twelve (nominally) nice people are now dead. (But some of them drew cartoons that offended somebody…) Very careless — I know!

Have you never noticed, that criminals use guns in different ways than up-right citizens?
(Do you care…? Is there a difference, in your world-view? I do sometimes wonder, Sang… Where -on what site-  should I look for your opinion? :)
(I give you a smiley to show that I take you seriously…)

You OK with that? I mean the ten people who drew cartoons, shot dead… Have you an opinion about jihadi violence…?
Myself, I don't have a big problem with adherents to Islam.
But I'd like to isolate them.

How we do this is problematical. But it is essential.

We no longer have a "whisper" function… So:

I expect to be banned -even without your puerile complaints- when I say —

Muslims must be isolated, marginalized, and ostracized.

We don't have to worry about Muslims who accept free inquiry , free speech, freedom of "expression" — in any sense: They'll be killed.
BTW: How did they get AKs, in a country that has strict gun control?
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)