Skip to main content

Poll

Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to own, carry, & use Firearms to defend their own lives, & the lives of their family & friends?

Absolutely Yes!
I thinks so.
I don't think so.
Definitely No!
My name isn't String, so let me have a icy cold beer so I can ponder the options...
Topic: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms? (Read 335355 times)

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #550
The important thing is to keep up the minimum of 10,000 being gunned down annually and the jails overflowing. Great advert for the land of....... ( :()!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #551
Quote from:      FOX Nation   http://tinyurl.com/oagalaf    
[glow=blue,2,300]With gun control failing nationally, The New York Times reports that Michael Bloomberg is heading back to private business at Bloomberg L.P. [/glow]

This comes after he dumped $150,000 into the August 12th Milwaukee County Sheriff's race in an attempt to beat Sheriff David Clarke's "conservative pro-gun policies." Clarke won. Bloomberg lost.

It also comes after his gun control group Everytown for Gun Safety aired a video meant to justify firearm confiscation for women's safety, but which inadvertently made the case for women to own guns to protect themselves. Breitbart News reported that after a female panel reviewed the commercial on ABC's The View, three of the four panelists came away telling women to get a gun to protect themselves and their children.

Bloomberg's return to private business also comes after the most visible gun control group he supports, Moms Demand Action For Gun Sense in America, only managed to convince five businesses--Chipotle, Jack in the Box, Chili's, Sonic, and Target--to ask law-abiding citizens to come to their stores unarmed. Moms Demand was able to get a sixth business--Starbucks--to ask customers who openly carry firearms not to be so flamboyant about it.

On the other side of the coin, Breitbart News recently reported that 57,000 businesses were fighting this push by putting a "guns welcome" sign on their front doors......continued

[glow=green,2,300]Our Gun Rights Will Be Defended, Regardless of Any Cost;
We will never, ever give up our right to Keep & Bear Arms!
[/glow]

Reply #552

The important thing is to keep up the minimum of 10,000 being gunned down annually and the jails overflowing. Great advert for the land of....... ( :()!

Each & every American life has meaning, & as Americans we all feel the loss of any of those lives.

That said, the unfortunate loss of a few lives does not outweigh our overall collective need to protect & defend all our Liberties & Freedoms. Our Right to Keep & Bear Arms provides us with the means to protect & defend all our Liberties & Freedoms, as well as our very own lives --- along with the lives of our friends, families, & neighbors.

Over the years Firearms have defended far, far more lives, than all the lives taken by criminals who have illegally used them in taking lives.

Reply #553
Smiley, the important thing for him is to come up with more reasons to bash America. The ones he has now are old and repetitive.

Reply #554
BTW: The incorporation argument for "gun rights" is superfluous.

When going to war, bring all your weapons. In close quarters battle, it may well be your knife that saves your life instead of your automatic and it doesn't weigh you down to bring it just in case.

Reply #555

Smiley, the important thing for him is to come up with more  reasons  excuses to bash America. The ones he has now are old and repetitive.

More reasons to bash America?

Old & Repetitive?

If how we are willing to legally defend & protect our Freedoms & Liberties is abhorrent to foreigners & some so called 'Americans' in name only, then let them bash on, but know full well that restraining from expressing pride in our/my Natural Right to Self-Defense acknowledged by our Founding Fathers in our Constitution will not be forthcoming. Nor, with God as my witness, will I be taking one step backward in fighting to maintain, & further promote that Right as long as I draw breath.

[glow=blue,2,300]"......Shall Not Be Infringed." [/glow] is not a suggestion!

Reply #556
I know some think this is the wrong place to argue such; but I disagree…
Judge Posner said, in a book review in 1997,
[Allow] the matter to simmer for a while before the heavy artillery of constitutional rightsmaking is trundled out, […] Let a state legislature or activist (but elected, and hence democratically responsive) state court adopt homosexual marriage as a policy in one state, and let the rest of the country learn from the results of its experiment. [Eventually] the public acceptability of a decision recognizing the new right [could change].
I -sorta-of- agree with him.
But the "eventually" part has been relegated to the dustbin of history: All who won't acquiesce are to be shamed and shunned; and -if possible- put out of business…
Bake me a cake, or else!

The "heavy artillery of constitutional rightsmaking" is a travesty, a lawyerly warping of everyday meaning and eternal verities: License become licentiousness.
Whatever is not specifically forbidden is allowed is very different from whatever is not specifically allowed is forbidden. No?
Sang, how would you choose — between those two alternatives? (It's a "trick" question, of course: Think "pure"… :) )

But perhaps you have an explanation of "constitutional rightsmaking" that isn't self-serving, political and absurd? Pray-tell. I'd like to hear it!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #557
Bake me a cake, or else!

Nope. A bakery is not state.
ut perhaps you have an explanation of "constitutional rightsmaking" that isn't self-serving, political and absurd? Pray-tell. I'd like to hear it!

It doesn't exist. Once you understand the legal implications of marriage, you'll understand that denying marriage rights is indeed denying equal protection under the law. Civil marriage exists precisely to ensure those benefits. Marriage as a religious sacrament has no legal standing, hence gays were getting married before any of the rulings in places such as the Metropolitan Community Church and other pro-gay houses of worship. But those marriages meant nothing in the legal sense and offer no legal protection. Literature on this readily available, so I'll refrain from explaining why and offer you the chance to expand your mind beyond the rightwing blogosphere on your own.

The point is not to discuss equal marriage, but to illustrate the basic principal that state law cannot trump state law, An argument for states rights trumping Federal constitutional rights sets a dangerous precedent. If a Red State can successfully deny equal protection under the law to group of citizens on 10th amendment grounds, a Blue state can severely restrict 2nd amendment rights on the same basis. Why not allow a state to deny other protections enshrined by the Constitution while you're at it?

You argue about the "plain language" of the 2nd amendment.

The language of the 14th Is just as clear. Relevant parts quoted:

Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

No part of this is unplain. If one can read English, one can see no state may deny those principles.

This language is more plain than that of the second amendment

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Note the text in the yellow box:

The Second Amendment has most recently been interpreted to grant the right of gun ownership to individuals for purposes that include self-defense.  At first it was thought to apply only to the Federal government, but through the mechanism of the Fourteenth Amendment, it has been applied to the states as well.

There you have it. Some conservatives seem to have turned against the 14th amendment because they're personally opposed to same-sex marriage.But the very amendment they're opposed to strengthens the right to bear arms against a state wishing to do the opposite. As explained to Howie, the constitution protects rights but doesn't create them. People have the natural right to protect themselves, not have the government arbitrarily seize their property, choose their partner, etc.  Sometimes, such as in equal protection cases and second amendment cases, those rights need to be protected against the states.

Reply #558

The Second Amendment has most recently been interpreted to grant the right of gun ownership to individuals for purposes that include self-defense.  At first it was thought to apply only to the Federal government, but through the mechanism of the Fourteenth Amendment, it has been applied to the states as well.

Who is this interpretation attributed to?

Who deemed themselves as having that right to grant a right to this right?

Surely, not the Supreme Court.

The Second Amendment doesn't grant, give, or bestow anything, it is a simply acknowledgment of an inalienable right -- the Right to Self-Defense --- which far predates the Constitution itself. It acknowledges a device -- firearms -- which government must not stand between citizens rights to keep & bear -- be available to each & every person -- in order to defend themselves -- from foes both foreign &/or domestic.

It requires no other Amendment to empower it, & the right belongs to all citizens, not a select few depending on where they live, & all without intervention of any person or government,

Reply #559
The United States vs Miller

The basis of the decision was that right to bear arms could also be viewed as a collective right, not an individual right:

In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment, or that its use could contribute to the common defense. Aymette v. State, 2 Humphreys (Tenn.) 154, 158.

The Constitution, as originally adopted, granted to the Congress power --

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions; To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress.

With obvious purpose to assure the continuation and render possible the effectiveness of such forces, the declaration and guarantee of the Second Amendment were made. It must be interpreted and applied with that end in view.
Note the emphasis on the militia aspect of the decision.

Later that decision was correctly overturned and now the 2nd amendment is understood to include the individual right to bear arms.

See The District of Columbia V. Heller:

1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Pp. 2–53.

(a) The Amendment’s prefatory clause announces a purpose, but does not limit or expand the scope of the second part, the operative clause. The operative clause’s text and history demonstrate that it connotes an individual right to keep and bear arms. Pp. 2–22.

(b) The prefatory clause comports with the Court’s interpretation of the operative clause. The “militia” comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. The Antifederalists feared that the Federal Government would disarm the people in order to disable this citizens’ militia, enabling a politicized standing army or a select militia to rule. The response was to deny Congress power to abridge the ancient right of individuals to keep and bear arms, so that the ideal of a citizens’ militia would be preserved. Pp. 22–28.

This is self-explanatory.
It requires no other Amendment to empower it, & the right belongs to all citizens, not a select few depending on where they live.

Perhaps Guncite can help clarify this:

c. the fourteenth amendment
The need for a more solid foundation for the protection of freedmen as well as white citizens was recognized, and the result was a significant new proposal--the Fourteenth Amendment. A chief exponent of the amendment, Sen. Jacob M. Howard (R., Mich.), referred to "the personal rights guaranteed and secured by the first eight amendments of the Constitution; such as freedom of speech and of the press; ... the right to keep and bear arms...."[35] Adoption of the Fourteenth Amendment was necessary because presently these rights were not guaranteed against state legislation. "The great object of the first section of this amendment is, therefore, to restrain the power of the States and compel them at all times to respect these great fundamental guarantees."[36]
By itself, the Second Amendment protects against the Federal government. The 14th makes it clear that states can't infringe on the rights either. This ensures the rights aren't enjoyed "not a select few depending on where they live."

As you can see, the intent of the 14th amendment was never as narrow as Oakdale believes.

The main weapon against a gun-grab is the Second Amendment. But when the gun-grabbing vultures are circling above what they think is the carcass of secondment amendment rights, it can't hurt to get off a few shots with a smaller side arm.

Reply #560
When those "smaller side arms" sanction a pervasive "Right to Privacy" which includes abortion on-demand, same-sex marriage, and Gender Studies versions of Orlando (mostly having to do with bathrooms and other "public" facilities…) Well, then, we've gone off the rails.
进行 ...

Reply #561
It's better to live with same-sex couples getting married then to have the states being able to violate constitutional rights, citing the Federal Constitution technically only applies that level of government and tossing the 10th amendment at free speech, right to bear arms, freedom of religion, etc. Liberals, Conservatives and middle of the roaders are all going to be disappointed from time to time, but it's a small price to pay for the Constitution to remain intact and guard against tyranny.

Reply #562
First let me say, what my personal sexual prerogatives are makes no difference to what someone else does out of my sight, so as long as it  doesn't effect me or my family have a gay-lala. Live & let live.

That said, based on your interpretations 'Coony, does someone who wants to marry his pig, or another who wants to marry it's Brahma Bull, or the woman that want's to marry a chimp......I know it's silly, but what would their rights be....do they have the same protections.....equal protection under the law, etc...etc???

Where's the line drawn, or does the 14th Amendment as you see it, eliminate all lines?

Reply #563
That said, based on your interpretations 'Coony, does someone who wants to marry his pig, or another who wants to marry it's Brahma Bull, or the woman that want's to marry a chimp......I know it's silly, but what would their rights be....do they have the same protections.....equal protection under the law, etc...etc???

No. None of those animals are capable of giving consent and bestiality is considered cruelty to animals and thus otherwise illegal. The line is also drawn on abusive behavior, ie a man attempting to marry a 12 year old also doesn't get protection. The country nor the state has any business denying equal protection under the law to any class of of law-abiding people (the past basis was race/ethnicity as recently as the mid 20th century)

The point is not for this thread to be hijacked into a discussion about gay marriage, but to bring to light the mechanism by which the states are unable take away rights guaranteed the constitution  and nullifies a tenth amendment argument for being able to do so. A tenth amendment argument in favor of Missouri able to nullify Federal gun laws is a dangerous thing. It also means California can go on an all out gun-grab by citing the same amendment and making the argument that Federal Constitution /technically/ only applies to the Federal government. This is why a Second Amendment argument might not be legally sufficient (note the court cases that I pointed out) and the 14 amendment invoked, especially to a pro-gun control judge.

Reply #564
The point is [...] to bring to light the mechanism by which the states are unable take away rights guaranteed the constitution  and nullify a tenth amendment argument for being able to do so. A tenth amendment argument in favor of Missouri able to nullify Federal gun laws is a dangerous thing. It also means California can go on an all out gun-grab by citing the same amendment and making the argument that Federal Constitution /technically/ only applies to the Federal government. This is why a Second Amendment argument might not be legally sufficient (note the court cases that I pointed out) and the 14 amendment invoked, especially to a pro-gun control judge.

Within five years of its passage, the 14th Amendment's mischief commenced: First came the Slaughterhouse cases in New Orleans; and then, inevitably, the anti-Reconstructionist cause -- argued on the basis of privileges and immunities. (And conveniently eliding the "without due process of law" phrase...)
The 2nd Amendment refers specifically to -and codifies- the right to "keep and bear" arms. It's an error of considerable import, to attempt to bolster it by including it in the morass of 14th Amendment shenanigans.

Indeed, much of the Constitution applies only to the federal government... Whence the phrase "Congress shall make no law," otherwise? :)

Perhaps you like Holmes' "skin of a living thought" formulation? Note how often that skin has been flayed, to get to otherwise absurd results...
进行 ...

Reply #565
In fact, the slaughter house decision was based on a strict constructionist view by Justice Samuel Freeman Miller :p What did you do, try to discredit an entire amendment by googling up a case in which the plaintives lost? The butchers argued that the new Louisiana law deprived them of the right to practice their trade and they were found to incorrect and this was found to be outside the scope of the 14th amendment. No shenanigans here, just an unsuccessful lawsuit. It's puzzling why you would even bring this up.

Perhaps you like Holmes' "skin of a living thought" formulation? Note how often that skin has been flayed, to get to otherwise absurd results...

The quote from Oliver Wendel Holmes is:

“A word is not a crystal, transparent and unchanged, it is the skin of a living thought and may vary greatly in color and content according to the circumstances and the time in which it is used”

While I applaud your use of language here, I find the meaning of your words in defiance of common sense.  If you sit down to read a play by Shakespeare or watch a play or movie based on it, do you really think you'll understand it as the Elizabethans did? When you read the Bible, do you really think you're understanding will match that of the ancient Hebrews and early Christians? Likewise, those that consider themselves strict constructionists of the Constitution are often merely second-guessing the intent of the framers. Sometimes they're correct, other times wrong and disastrously so. I fail to understand why it's such a stretch for you to understand that the exact meaning of any work (not just the written word) is informed by a person's time and place. But we've only begun to scratch the surface. Often, authors hear a meaning to their words they haven't considered, and found the reader's interpretation to be correct despite it being a point of view he hadn't consciously considered when writing the book.

Reply #566
The three cases decided by the Supreme Court called the Slaughterhouse Cases, on a 5-4 split, did indeed take a rational interpretation of the 14th… But, as I'm sure you know, Justice Field's dissent was eventually "vindicated" — that is, later Courts agreed with him on the matter of substantive due process (a phrase not used until much later!). If you're to argue Constitutional Law, Sang, you'll need to curb your "winning side" style of reading history, and especially, legal briefs.
In today's parlance, the same result might have been arrived at via rational basis analysis. But it surely matters what rationale is used to support the argument? I suspect you don't agree: that the result is all that matters… Am I wrong?

A word about language that might (but probably won't) help you: Legislation and legal briefs and court decisions rarely depend upon the "poetic" use of language (…some overly emotional jurists "prove" this rule :) ) and are written not with the intent of the literary hack or genius -to amuse, inspire or mystify- but to plainly give instructions, and the reasons for them. Careful usage is by no means as slippery as you assume.
As ever, your bent is to entice an irrational conclusion from the limited evidence you select; as often, your logic leads to its own refutation by reductio
进行 ...

Reply #567
While I applaud your use of language here, I find the meaning of your words in defiance of common sense.

By your warped interpretation of "meaning," of course you do! But your "difficulties" of understanding, e.g., the Bible or Shakespeare, are the result of your ignorance; one would hope that such is remediable… To think that what was meant by previous generations of men (…even five years prior!) can't be known; and those of us who've lived longer or read more widely or more closely must acquiesce in the opinions of the "current" generation! Else we're retrograde and to be admonished and disempowered, for the "good" of society… That's true and consistent Progressivism!

The 2nd Amendment's initial clause does require explication, for modern readers… That's the job of historians and legal scholars.
Would you give it to ideologues or demagogues? (Do you know the difference?) :)

No matter: Same-sex marriage, and perhaps gun regulation and registration, is popular among a certain class of people… What more is needed?
The case is settled! :(

BTW: You didn't mean to praise my "use of language." Rather, you meant my quoting a trope of one of your unexamined heroes…pleased you! Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. was a petulant pedant who posed as a legal scholar:
The debate (still on-going) between "judge-made" law (Common Law) and statutory application and interpretation -among which is Constitutional Law- continues… You don't (I think) care: You only want this or that outcome.
Such inclinations have often led to insurrection… Would you go there?

Condignly given precedent has an odd habit of realigning modern innovations and ancient dicta… The "remedy" for this -as Miller opined- is the democratic process. (Not to be confused with Howie's Soapbox Socialism… :) ) Would you replace most or all of the Constitution with the 14th Amendment?
进行 ...

Reply #568
Being so widely read, you would know the precise meaning of words change over time. Why is this such a hard concept? Judges with far more legal than you or I have different determinations of the second amendment, each believing they were true to the intent of the founders. This crap about "progressive" is just that. You wind up with conservative judges making "liberal" decisions such as on same-sex marriage and liberal judges making "conservative" decisions, such as on gun control. You act as if there's only one reasonable way to understand and interpret a work, including the constitution. Both common sense and history say otherwise. Why are there so many different denominations of Christianity? One major factor is different understanding of the Bible, although each denomination has scholars that can strongly defend the understanding of the Bible their faith goes by and believe they're following the authors' intent.

Case point:
BTW: You didn't mean to praise my "use of language."

No. I liked your phrasing about the skin being flayed when I said "While I applaud your use of language here, I..." You seemingly failed to understand that I merely provided the entire quote from Holmes, to create a context for people unfamiliar with it.
The debate (still on-going) between "judge-made" law (Common Law) and statutory application and interpretation -among which is Constitutional Law- continues…

Despite the current conservative blather, judges don't make law. It's their job to determine the constitutionality of them. When a judge throws a gun control out on constitutional grounds, is he making law? Of course not. As I said, the 14th amendment is not popular with some conservatives because of the equal marriage issue, but it has a long and glorious history including allowing former slaves to own guns (which some states attempted to prevent) and other second amendment issues, ending the apartheid against African Americans, etc. To rail against it because you disagree with some court decisions based on it, you're doing worse than tilting at windmills - you're turning your lance against an ally.

Reply #569
Being so widely read, you would know the precise meaning of words change over time. Why is this such a hard concept?

Indeed, I know that usage is fluid, to an extent; that some words' meanings become obsolete, that some acquire a meaning opposite of what they originally meant (e.g., "homely"). But you make too much of a commonplace insight:
Can you cite a few words from the Constitution whose meaning has actually changed significantly?

That people disagree about the meaning of many political formulations is nothing new… Politics is contentious! It's seldom the case that a different understanding of the meaning of words is responsible…
Despite the current conservative blather, judges don't make law.

Again: Your constant politicization of all things betrays your analysis. Most of the U.S. has "merged" its courts of equity with its courts of law… Not all, of course! "Judge-made" law is something you're quite familiar with -if you think about it: It's called precedent!
进行 ...

Reply #570
Can you cite a few words from the Constitution whose meaning has actually changed significantly?

Yes. If you paid attention, I actually already showed some.

Reply #571
…I wasn't paying attention. Humor me! Give me a few examples.
进行 ...

Reply #572
If all you mean is this:
(from Miller)
The Constitution, as originally adopted, granted to the Congress power --

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions; To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress.

With obvious purpose to assure the continuation and render possible the effectiveness of such forces, the declaration and guarantee of the Second Amendment were made. It must be interpreted and applied with that end in view.

Note the emphasis on the militia aspect of the decision.
Later that decision was correctly overturned and now the 2nd amendment is understood to include the individual right to bear arms.

Well, you can forget it!

Rawle made the point plainly in 1825:
[…] the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
No clause could by any rule of construction be conceived to give to congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretence by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both.
(A View of the Constitution…; p. 70)
And even Wiki notes that much earlier:
Blackstone described this right as an auxiliary right [in English common-law], supporting the natural rights of self-defense, resistance to oppression, and the civic duty to act in concert in defense of the state.
What you'd call the changing meaning of the term "militia" reflects a continuous bone of contention; that neither side has yet gained absolute victory for its view has little (I'd say, nothing) to do with the meaning of the word!
进行 ...

Reply #573
Rawle made the point plainly in 1825:

Yet, a hundred years latter it was interpreted differently. I'm still don't see what so wrong with using the part about the state not being able deprive a person of his property without due process against a gun grab. Because you read so many right-wing blogs that you somehow think that equal protection under the law and the state not being able to just take your property are somehow bad things? I'm sure you can dredge up some more dubious decision concerning that amendment, but same can be said about other amendments. In the Cuffley v. Mickes  case the Supreme Court found in favor the Ku Klux Klan's free speech. Does that mean the First Amendment and is a "morass " and therefore should not be used as a legal argument? I can dig up dozens of cases, but the KKK is such a hideous organization that I think it will suffice

Reply #574
When the words are "Congress shall make no law" you read "Congress probably shouldn't...," it seems. That comes from your authoritarian, majoritarian and contrarian nature! :)
Also, your short attention span impedes your understanding: Your example of a "gun grab" admirably recognizes the phrase without due process; but you immediately forget or discount it... Why?

For some reason (...:) ) I'm not as outraged by Cuffley v. Mickes as you! (Hint: The 1st Amendment means what it says, and I accept that.) Hideous or not, the KKK still has the same freedom of speech as any other; your opprobrium does not translate to an exception to a clear constitutional right!
And the fact that I share your low opinion and odium permits me only to commiserate... And speak out, myself, against what they say and do -- even when permitted by law.
进行 ...