Skip to main content

Poll

Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to own, carry, & use Firearms to defend their own lives, & the lives of their family & friends?

Absolutely Yes!
I thinks so.
I don't think so.
Definitely No!
My name isn't String, so let me have a icy cold beer so I can ponder the options...
Topic: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms? (Read 335274 times)

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #525
Oh Bel, you have no concept of what you speak, but know this one thing, the enemy need not realize he's dead, but rest assured he/she is  surely just as dead, & most importantly we know they are.

Shout out your fear.....you must have battalions full of whining lil gurley-men that never ever needed to complete surreptitious missions, behind enemy lines, & return to proudly serve another day.

You clearly never suffered an ambush... what exactly guerrilla wars are made of.
Your men will start shouting, running and crying as babies. If you get two of them that reacts the way they should, you're a lucky man.

The reason why I mentioned military academies it's because that's the place where war strategics are taught and learned as well as what are the responsibilities and duties for Officers.
If your words resumes what they teach at West Point no wonder you lose all military adventures you get in. But I know that they teach much more than that.

You tell me how I'm supposed obtaining info from a dead corpse.
You tell me how dead corpses delays enemies progression.
You tell me how dead corpses diminishes enemy's food supply.

(There's only one usage for dead corpses, to put explosives bellow them for welcoming those who comes to get it. Usually are innocent familiars, children and civilian populations that dies from that.)

Killing it's done because either the enemy has this irritating tendency for not cooperate with your plans or you need to defend your life but it's not an end per itself.

Snipers have extremely reduced usage but for one situation, urban wars kind of Saravejo scenario by killing indiscriminately civilians as part of terrorist tactics. Regular armies are not allowed, by moral and civilized conventions, to use terrorist tactics and you don't win a war by killing all them, one by one, from a safe distance.

Because the automation of death by drones and robots, the moral discussion has let snipers in the shadow out of it but just because of that.

Anyway, I'm not at war with nobody. In the future the only thing to fight will be drones and robots and against it there are no moral rules.
A matter of attitude.

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #526
Snipers have extremely reduced usage but for one situation, urban wars kind of Saravejo scenario by killing indiscriminately civilians as part of terrorist tactics. Regular armies are not allowed, by moral and civilized conventions, to use terrorist tactics and you don't win a war by killing all them, one by one, from a safe distance.

Too bad you weren't advising the Viet Cong, back in the day… But, of course, they would have laughed at you and your "quaint" notions! :(
In the future the only thing to fight will be drones and robots and against it there are no moral rules.

This is pure fantasy. (You must -if you served- have been in the Air Force… :) Me, too — so don't anybody get too upset about how that sounded: It's not a slur; just a fact that explains a lot.)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #527
Too bad you weren't advising the Viet Cong, back in the day…

Each one knows his wars...
This is pure fantasy

I don't think so, it's pure logic (and business) not fantasy. Substitute the uncertainty of man by machines. It was done at our homes, at our offices and factories and it will be done at our wars.

No, I was not at the army, there was nothing left to defend.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #528
Oh Bel, you have absolutely no concept whatsoever of what you speak, but know this one thing, the enemy need not realize he's dead, but rest assured he/she is  surely just as dead, & most importantly we know they are.

After what I read in your lil boy, video playin', dreamin'-out-loud post, my above statement --- as modified --- is now completely relevant as to your state of perceived reality!

Bel, you sure are one funny, imaginative dude!!!!

I can respect that.

But, please excuse me for laughin' my ass off, 'cuz you certainly are one hell of a funny dude  --  dude!

Reply #529
Bel, you sure are one funny, imaginative dude!!!!

Bah... I have to train this better... :irked:
:lol:
A matter of attitude.

Reply #530
The morality, or effectiveness, of snipers in modern warfare has nothing to do with the OP's initial question.

Reply #531

The morality, or effectiveness, of snipers in modern warfare has nothing to do with the OP's initial question.

I wholeheartedly agree, as noted here.

Reply #532
The face of modern warfare has changed with every war that's come along. Methods that worked in America's Revolutionary War would have been a good way to get your men killed by the time of the Civil War, and one really good reason why WW1 was such a bloodbath was because generals were still trying to use tactics that worked in previous wars but wouldn't work in trench warfare facing modern machine guns.

Snipers are used because the method works. It's as simple as that. You could argue that in many instances, snipers are actually a more "moral" way of doing it because the sniper will seek to kill only his target, not killing civilians indiscriminately the way so many other methods do.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #533
The wind had left the sails of the Anti-Gun, Anti-Second Amendment, Pro-Gun Control movements Countrywide.

[glow=blue,2,300]Not That Many People Are Interested in Gun Control..so Says Google [/glow]

"If I were a politician, I’d run away at flank speed on this topic, which seems to be of interest to few."

Quote from:     TR     http://tinyurl.com/oa5debt  

Google is undisputedly  the number one search engine in the world.  No other search platform can match it.  It has an estimated 1,100,000,000 unique monthly visitors.

So what happens when the words “gun control” is typed into their “Google Trends?”

For starters, what is Google Trends?  “Google Trends is a public web facility of Google Inc., based on Google Search, that shows how often a particular search-term is entered relative to the total search-volume across various regions of the world, and in various languages.”

Now, back to gun control.

The Truth About Guns posted a Google Trend search that shows besides a huge spike in interest immediately following the Sandy Hook shooting in December of 2012 and early 2013, not that many people are interested in stricter gun laws........

More Here

With the exception of Anti-American rants from the likes of the 'RJ types', Americans, well people in general worldwide, seem to shrug them off, & turn their attentions to more important issues of concern.

In America, our right to Keep & Bear Arms will remain ever strong as long as we stay vigilant, & stay ever aware of the left's progressive anti-gun wolves sleeping at the Nation's legislative back door.

'Status Quo', no not at all -- never.

The Pro-Second Amendment Gun Owners in America will press ever forward in fighting repressive anti-gun laws throughout our great land.

A National Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Law [glow=blue,2,300](H.R. 2959) [/glow] is high on our legislative agenda.

Quote from:     The Washington Times    http://tinyurl.com/or7z6f9  

With concealed weapons now legal in all 50 states, the National Rifle Association’s focus at this week’s annual meeting is less about enacting additional state protections than on making sure the permits already issued still apply when the gun owners travel across the country.

The nation’s largest gun-rights group, which officially opens its meeting of about 70,000 people Friday in Indianapolis, wants Congress to require that concealed weapons permits issued in one state be recognized everywhere, even when the local requirements differ. Advocates say the effort would eliminate a patchwork of state-specific regulations that lead to carriers unwittingly violating the law when traveling......continued

Reply #534
Nationalism irks me. A bunch of silly talk about nothing.

Perhaps why I chose to quote Woodrow Wilson? Plenty of talk of how to fight in war and pseudo-morals therein but no talk of how to prevent it by simply adjusting what we think (or our senseless pride) to accommodate other views.

Reply #535

Nationalism irks me. A bunch of silly talk about nothing.

Perhaps why I chose to quote Woodrow Wilson? Plenty of talk of how to fight in war and pseudo-morals therein but no talk of how to prevent it by simply adjusting what we think (or our senseless pride) to accommodate other views.

[glow=blue,2,300]Sounds like a     Grass Roots Ground Breaking    for a new topic!? [/glow]

Go for it!      

Suggestion:  "Nationalism: Where is Woodrow Wilson when we really need him?"

Reply #536
Yeah, Smiley, I was thinking that, too. The Future of War? :) If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll open one tonight…
进行 ...

Reply #537
Methinks the following video sums up @Belfrager's thoughts on OP's topic:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Wn3Eey6dY[/video]

Reply #538
Unfortunately ensbb3, nationalism ifs embedded deeply in your land. It of course goes with the superficial name of patriotic but in practice is just as too much nationalism as many other countries have. Somehow people have been educated to think differently. This childish stuff wanting to run about armed doesn't do much for the slogan of being the land of the free and home of the brave. If it needs people in 9 figures to go about like cowboys on top of police and military you have a big and deep rooted problem. Wish it was not like that.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #539
If it needs people in 9 figures to go about like cowboys on top of police and military you have a big and deep rooted problem.

Two (2) things you can't seem to comprehend, & get through your thick Glaswegian skull.

1. The Second Amendment doesn't grant, give, or bestow anything, it simply acknowledges an inalienable right, which far predates the Constitution itself. It acknowledges one device -- firearms -- which must be available to each & every person in order to defend themselves -- from foes foreign &/or domestic.

The Second Amendment, as with all the other first 10 Amendments of the Constitution from The Bill of Rights, tells government what it must do, or rather what it can not do --- what government is forbidden to do  --- it specifically says Government must not, can not, & shall not infringe upon one's right to keep & bear arms ...... period.

2. Self-defense is each individuals responsibility & right. The police aren't there to defend the people, but if they so happen to arrive before things get out of hand, they are there to assist in keeping the peace, & assist in defending the people from further criminal activity.

All police are there to do is assist in determining the facts --- after the fact, & to take criminals into custody --- again, after the fact.

The only other function(s) directly attributable to the police force is to establish & keep the peace, & to enforce the law.

The military on the other hand is there to protect & defend us from external threats.

Again, we are responsible for, & have the right to, our own self-defense, so if any external threat gets past the military, it is up to us to defend ourselves -- with anything at our disposal, firearms being but one means of many.

The military isn't there to protect us from crime, or respond to any internal criminal activity. They are not a police force.

Reply #540
First off might I say, a Nullification -- any Nullification -- that succeeds is no longer theory, it's becomes a valid process of law.

I'm serious, where at? I'm finding nullification failing more than it succeeds. I've seen sites attempt to support it bringing up the Whiskey Rebellion, but that ultimately brought down the wrath of the Federal Government. It seems Pennsylvania did succeed in nullifying the Fugitive Slave Act. But cases for nullification bringing change to Federal seem strained. I've seen Maryland attempting to nullify Prohibition, but that only brought Federal Law enforce in the from of the BOI (the predecessor to the FBI) in. It took another amendment to really nullify that one.

Oakdale seem to think this is a Progressive thing, arguing against Nullification, but it isn't. Note the Heritage Foundation arguing against it , calling it "unlawful and unconstitutional."

They outline:

The Constitutional Path
Madison’s Alternative: In the Virginia Resolutions, Madison asserted the power of states “to interpose for arresting the progress of evil, and for maintaining within their respective limits, the authorities, rights, and liberties appertaining to them.” This meant various state actions designed to arouse public opposition, challenge federal actions, and ultimately change or stop the objectionable action. Recent state Health Care Freedom Acts, not to mention subsequent legal challenges and pending elections, are good examples of state action challenging Obamacare.

The Constitutional Way to Change Laws: Rejecting nullification as an option does not mean that the states or the people have no recourse. The Constitution itself lays out the best path to change unconstitutional laws: object to the law and change opinions (and political leadership) in the political process, defund and slow its implementation, change or repeal the law, challenge it in the courts, and, if necessary, amend the Constitution.
Of course, Obamacare is not really nullified, the ACA itself offered an out to the states and provides a mechanism for Federal enforcement.
In this land there are conservatives, liberals, libertarians; Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Mormons, Muslims (and a great many others…) and, of course, Atheists! The moral views of each are -within the confines of the Bill of Rights (and the rest of the Constitution), and applicable federal law- to be respected, aren't they?
Of course they are. The only problem is when one group attempts to impose its beliefs to limit/restrict the rights of others or otherwise harms other people.
Yet still you'd insist everyone accept your libertarian views!

No. But I see some anti-gun control people going now a path that has potential to ultimately increase Federal power and even without that threat, has a high probability of failure. I remain cynical of the NRA and believe they must know the nullification usually fails, but are fine with that. They'll "need" more money for the next nullification attempt. How much of that lines their own pockets?
And it still seems best to me: Subsidiarity! And Liberty!
I don't see how we can keep the latter without the former…

Again, because without subsidiarity tempered by the Constitution, the states themselves can run amok. The result is more limited Federal Government, but the total amount of government is less limited. The same-sex marriage fights taught me to be as wary of the states as I am of the Federal government. States' Rights itself has a dark history: slavery, apartheid, poll taxes designed to reduce minority participation in elections, constitutional amendments aimed at gay people but are so severe in their wording that they hurt heterosexuals as well. So again, I must use the word "pure." Your philosophy is more so than mine. Actually, I think you're more interested in philosophy, but I'm more interested in history - particularly in the the past outcomes of an idea that intuitively should increase liberty but historically has brought oppression. That's the flaw in Jefferson's reasoning in the quote you offered when he mentioned states being responsible for civil rights.

Reply #541
Unfortunately ensbb3, nationalism ifs embedded deeply in your land. It of course goes with the superficial name of patriotic but in practice is just as too much nationalism as many other countries have. Somehow people have been educated to think differently. This childish stuff wanting to run about armed doesn't do much for the slogan of being the land of the free and home of the brave. If it needs people in 9 figures to go about like cowboys on top of police and military you have a big and deep rooted problem. Wish it was not like that.

Reply #542
Oakdale seem to think this is a Progressive thing, arguing against Nullification, but it isn't.

Not what I've said, Sang! The "Progressive Thing" is -as I see it- a technocratic rejection of the actual Constitution… That "limited and distributed powers" thing seen as just a suggestion, and not actual law!
I've heard your complaints about Dry Counties many times. (I may even share your consternation…) But nowhere in the Constitution is there a "right" to purchase and consume alcoholic beverages; nor (except for that profoundly Progressive experiment called Prohibition) any removal of the presumption, that laws regulating such belong to lesser governments…
Likewise, same-sex marriage is -until and unless the Constitution is amended- the purview of the states. (DOMA had to do with federal finances, not individual rights.) The ADA is a more instructive example, though…
It's that whole "penumbra" idea that I'd call Progressive: Not that -as the 9th Amendment requires- there aren't rights unspecified but enforceable. But that the federal government -as the 10th Amendment specifies- is not the agent of their enforcement.

Self-government is not and cannot be an established and immutable form, overseen by federal powers. It is, rather, a continuing experiment — within the bounds set by legitimate federal power.
You may think I'm mincing words here… But the important point I'd like to make is that incorporation and federal overreach (NLRB, DOE, EPA…) have hobbled such experiments, and lessened their utility.
进行 ...

Reply #543
Likewise, same-sex marriage is -until and unless the Constitution is amended- the purview of the states.

The reason that's incorrect is there are so many rights and protections to marriage, even at the Federal level that it became a 14th amendment issue. Just as with some state and city gun laws, local authority found itself at odds with the constitution.

Reply #544
I understand the arguments (for both issues, "rights" and "protections"), Sang. I just happen to find them unconvincing — and, if accepted, deleterious.
The reason that's incorrect is there are so many rights and protections to marriage, even at the Federal level [,] that it became a 14th amendment issue.
As with most "interpreters" of the 14th, you only read Section 1.; which is a convenient way of ignoring its circumstances and intent.
Would that politicians could speak "in language understanded of the people." Much mischief might have been avoided…

The 2nd Amendment language is less amenable to interpretation. The niceties of its opening clause have failed to convince many jurists that it was or should be considered a restriction…
进行 ...

Reply #545
As with most "interpreters" of the 14th, you only read Section 1.; which is a convenient way of ignoring its circumstances and intent.
Would that politicians could speak "in language understanded of the people." Much mischief might have been avoided…

The mischief was politicians speaking the "language of the people" to get flagrantly unconstitutional amendments in the first place so they could get reelected. The intent of the amendment is just as it says "....No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."  Do you not think they could have made it narrower if it was merely designed to prevent reoccurrence of slavery. It was broad on purpose. You confusing circumstances leading to its passage with intent. So now the judge after judge ruling in its favor any arguments against it on shaky legal ground (if not quickstand) total liberty is increased. Further, the precedent is set for the next time a state tries deny people of equal protection under the law. I will not have states denying this for sake of states rights.

Reply #546
Do you not think they could have made it narrower if it was merely designed to prevent reoccurrence of slavery. It was broad on purpose.

It's not as broad as you'd have it, I think. It wasn't designed merely to ban slavery but to grant citizenship to former slaves, and to codify that status fully. I know you feel strongly about "gay marriage" (and the ERA too?) but judicial fiat is a poor substitute for the amendment process…or even federal legislation.
I will not have states denying this for sake of states rights.
How long do you think your reign will last, King Sanguinemoon? :)
进行 ...

Reply #547
[glow=blue,2,300]Guns save more lives than they take;
prevent more injuries than they inflict
[/glow]

Reply #548
It's not as broad as you'd have it, I think. It wasn't designed merely to ban slavery but to grant citizenship to former slaves, and to codify that status fully. I know you feel strongly about "gay marriage" (and the ERA too?) but judicial fiat is a poor substitute for the amendment process…or even federal legislation

We have one Federal judge after another disagreeing with you. This includes conservative judges appointed by Republican presidents. Why is this? Because it had nothing to do with what one feels strongly about, but constitutional law. In that issue, it was equal protection under the law. Those that say its a state issue would seem to have no concept of how many protections marriage gives. In any case, allowing a state to not give equal protection under the law or any other protection ensured by the constitution on the basis of states rights is incomprehensible as well as dangerous.

In fact, part of that amendment should be of interest to gun owners.  "... nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law...." A state or the Federal government goes on a gun grab, it's not only in violation of the 2nd amendment, but also the 14th as they deprive people of their property.

Reply #549
We have one Federal judge after another disagreeing with you. This includes conservative judges appointed by Republican presidents. Why is this?

Because they're wrong… :)
BTW: The incorporation argument for "gun rights" is superfluous. The Supreme Court should make that clear. Plain wording is, well, plain. But of course plain language is anything but, for those who believe in "The Living Constitution."
Relatedly, if such were not a Progressive invention, the 15th and 19th Amendments would have been superfluous too. (Bear in mind that there was a gap of two years between the 14th Amendment and the 15th; and of fifty-two years between the 14th and the 16th Amendment! How would you explain that?)
进行 ...