Skip to main content

Poll

Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to own, carry, & use Firearms to defend their own lives, & the lives of their family & friends?

Absolutely Yes!
I thinks so.
I don't think so.
Definitely No!
My name isn't String, so let me have a icy cold beer so I can ponder the options...
Topic: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms? (Read 335341 times)

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #200
Like this you mean?

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #201
I think everybody should be allowed to have whatever sort of gun they want. Even heavy artillery, if you're into that sort of thing.

I think I am the only one who should have ammunition.

That is because most people don't seem to be able to safely handle anything more dangerous than a box of rubber bands.

I might think about confiscating Smiley's rubber bands.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #202
[glow=black,2,300]Michigan: Senate Committee Passes Youth Firearm Education Bill[/glow]

Today, an important youth firearm education bill passed unanimously in the Michigan Senate Judiciary Committee. House Bill 5085 now goes to the Senate floor for consideration.  Introduced by state Representative Phil Potvin (R-102), HB 5085 corrects an unduly burdensome restraint on youth firearm education by reasonably expanding the class of individuals who are allowed to supervise and instruct Michigan youth on the safe use of pistols......,continued

Firearm Safety --- first & foremost ....... an armed society is a polite society.          

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[glow=green,2,300]Your voice needs to be heard![/glow]   Urge your lawmakers to oppose any and all gun control proposals that have been, or will be, introduced, particularly so-called “universal” background checks, which would criminalize the private transfer of firearms and any legislation that would arbitrarily limit ammunition magazines or reinstate the failed ban on commonly owned semi-automatic rifles.

Reply #203
I see from the picture of the girl with with the red ear muffs, that these kids are being taught to kill, not just shoot.

Reply #204

I see from the picture of the girl with with the red ear muffs, that these kids are being taught to kill, not just shoot.

But only "to defend their own lives, & the lives of their family & friends"

Reply #205

[glow=blue,2,300]100% Correct! [/glow]

She is being trained to use a firearm safely, to shoot accurately, & hit her target repeatedly ---  with extreme prejudice & crystal clear intent if required.

If she believes she is in imminent mortal danger, killing her assailant would be considered justifiable in the eyes of the law.

Killing your assailant is the best & only way to guarantee the assailant  won't mortally assault you.

As TT92 said with brilliant accuracy .....  'to defend <her> own life, & the lives of  <her> family & friends'

Reply #206
However the dummy (the one who is being shot at) does not seem to be carrying a gun.

:D

Reply #207

Certainly!
ROSWELL, N.M. (AP) — A 12-year-old New Mexico boy drew a shotgun from a band-instrument case and shot and wounded two classmates at his middle school Tuesday morning before a teacher talked him into dropping the weapon and he was taken into custody, officials and witnesses said.

TAFT, Calif. - The 16-year-old boy had allegedly wounded the teenager he claimed had bullied him, fired two more rounds at students fleeing their first-period science class, then faced teacher Ryan Heber.

A 17-year-old Omaha high school student murdered a classmate after the victim threatened him to not make sexual comments about his sister.
Christopher D. Spears, a junior at Omaha Northwest High School, was at the home of sophomore Dominique Hollie, when Spears made sexual comments about Hollie's sister Friday night, authorities said, according to Omaha.com.

A suspected high school shooter in Central Florida is in custody after targeting a classmate just as after classes were getting out Wednesday afternoon, according to police.
The 15-year-old victim identified as Ja'Roderick Smith of West Orange High School in Winter Garden was downgraded to stable condition after being shot in the face and abdomen around 1:10 p.m., according to police and local reports.

BEND, Ore. (AP) — Police say a Bend High School student died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in the presence of classmates.

KTVZ reports that Bend Police Chief Jim Porter says the student brought the gun onto campus and fired the fatal shot Friday in a modular classroom. No one else was injured.

Police did not identify the student or provide a gender or age. Police also wouldn't say how many students were present, or describe the type of gun used.

HOUSTON –  A Texas high school senior is in custody after shooting a 9th grade student in the leg early Tuesday afternoon, authorities say.

The suspect, 18, shot a 16-year-old classmate in an upstairs hallway of North Forest High School, reports MyFoxHouston.com.

If anybody is interested, I can provide more examples of youngsters shooting folks in self defense and to protect family members.

Reply #208

However the dummy (the one who is being shot at) does not seem to be carrying a gun.

:D

There's also the question about how much of a threat a cardboard cut-out actually represents.
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #209
I will be interested jimbro to see what fiction SmileyFaze comes up with to say those school incidents are just part of life. I gave up playing cowboys and indians at 11 but maybe he is a slower developer?
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #210

Certainly!
#1 through #6

We can play this game all decade long, you post a negative firearm story, & I post an equal amount of positive stories relating to how many times honest everyday citizens protected life, liberty, & property using their legal firearms.

Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day.  This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives.

Of the 2.5 million times citizens use their guns to defend themselves every year, the overwhelming majority merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers. Less than 8% of the time, a citizen will kill or wound his/her attacker.

As many as 200,000 women use a gun every year to defend themselves against sexual abuse.

Even anti-gun Clinton researchers concede that guns are used 1.5 million times annually for self-defense. According to the Clinton Justice Department, there are as many as 1.5 million cases of self-defense every year. The National Institute of Justice published this figure in 1997 as part of "Guns in America" -- a study which was authored by noted anti-gun criminologists Philip Cook and Jens Ludwig.

Armed citizens kill more crooks than do the police. Citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as police do every year (1,527 to 606).  And readers of Newsweek learned that "only 2 percent of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The 'error rate' for the police, however, was 11 percent, more than five times as high."

Handguns are the weapon of choice for self-defense. Citizens use handguns to protect themselves over 1.9 million times a year.  Many of these self-defense handguns could be labeled as "Saturday Night Specials."

Nationwide. In 1979, the Carter Justice Department found that of more than 32,000 attempted rapes, 32% were actually committed. But when a woman was armed with a gun or knife, only 3% of the attempted rapes were actually successful.
Source: U.S. Department of Justice, Law Enforcement Assistance Administration, Rape Victimization in 26 American Cities (1979), p. 31. 

Just the tip of the iceberg.

The above, & many more facts can be found here

Now, firearms have good & evil uses. The overwhelming majority of legal firearms owners never ever commit a crime using their legal firearms.

I'd say we'd all be better served, being that firearms, like it or not,  will definitely be a part of Americana  way past our expiry dates ---- we'd be much more realistically served if we'd find more efficient  ways of dealing with the mentally ill & violent criminals in general, rather than coming up with ways to punish the honest, law abiding firearm owning American citizen, by flat out banning & outlawing his & her present day legal firearms.

I think enforcing the existing laws on the books against violent criminals, & sharing information on the violent mentally ill nationwide would make a much better starting place, rather than dreaming up new ways to ban the firearms people depend on daily for self-protection.

Reply #211

Like this you mean?

Yup like that. The misunderstanding was my fault for it being almost 8:30 am and me not having been to bed yet.

What possibly makes folks think that everyone carrying guns will reduce crime. They say "Defend yourself against criminals" but fail to take into account crimes of passion and the fact that those actually intending to commit a crime can now easily just walk into a place with a gun. I've never seen a good answer to why we're now seeing people in Florid getting shot over things such as the pizza line. (Why would one feel the need to bring a gun to Domino's Pizza anyway? The .0001% chance that somebody might be trying to hold up the joint while we're there and one thinks he can play John Wayne?)

Reply #212
In the United States, stand-your-ground law states that a person may justifiably use force in self-defense without an obligation to retreat first. The concept sometimes exists in statutory law and sometimes through common law precedents. One key distinction is whether the concept only applies to defending a home or vehicle, or whether it applies to all lawfully occupied locations. Under these legal concepts, a person is justified in using deadly force in certain situations and the "stand your ground" law would be a defense or immunity to criminal charges and civil suit. The difference between immunity and a defense is that an immunity bars suit, charges, detention and arrest. A defense, such as an affirmative defense, permits a plaintiff or the state to seek civil damages or a criminal conviction but may offer mitigating circumstances that justify the accused's conduct.

More than 50% of all the States in America have adopted the [glow=blue,2,300]"Castle Doctrine" [/glow] in one form or another. There are wide variations, but basically what adoption says is that one no longer will be required to flee prior to resorting to deadly force.

I applaud such doctrines.

If all goes well, which tips you off as to where I stand on the issue, over 75% of the States will have adopted such doctrines in one form or another by 2016.

Remember, a well armed society is a polite society.

If criminals fail to take into account that their prey just might be armed, then they deserve whatever comes their way.

Now, that said, laws --- good or bad --- will be used by shrewd lawyers to their advantage, thus emboldening those that might see that using the ins & outs of a law as a means to skirt the desired effect of the law.

I'm glad that these laws have had an overall positive effect on deterring crime nationwide to date (never enough for some, but they either need to change the laws or deal with it's occasional abuse).

Reply #213
Your Gun Rights, On the National Scene:  [glow=blue,2,300]Big Advancements for Pro-Gun Legislation [/glow]

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQx-A9NYMO0[/VIDEO]

[glow=blue,2,300]NRA Seeks a Universal Gun Law [/glow]

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - With concealed weapons now legal in all 50 states, the National Rifle Association's focus at this week's annual meeting is less about enacting additional state protections than on making sure the permits already issued still apply when the gun owners travel across the country. The nation's largest gun-rights group, which officially opens its meeting of about 70,000 people Friday in Indianapolis, wants Congress to require that concealed weapons permits issued in one state be recognized everywhere, even when the local requirements differ. Advocates say the effort would eliminate a patchwork of state-specific regulations that lead to carriers unwittingly violating the law when traveling.

When traveling, your carry permit should follow you from state to state, being that all 50 states have now approved Concealed Carry (CCP).

Well, with our support, the NRA is sponsoring a bill in Washington D.C. that will make it law that all states must honor the CCP of another state.

Reply #214
With a fantastic prison population nearly 11,00 being killed annually and in the top 5 nations for legal executions so much for the need for a gun culture. One would have thought over two centuries you would have grown up.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #215

With a fantastic prison population nearly 11,00 being killed annually and in the top 5 nations for legal executions so much for the need for a gun culture.   One would have thought over two centuries you would have grown up.  

We're doin' just fine rj Terrorist, just fine.

Reply #216

Yup like that. The misunderstanding was my fault for it being almost 8:30 am and me not having been to bed yet.

No, the misunderstanding was the designer's fault for making a graph that was blatantly lying. There are many ways of publishing misleading graphs. A popular one is to truncate the axis. It is prudent to look for that 0.

Turning a graph upside down is fortunately very rare. You could just as well mirror image the graph, to make it appear as if gun deaths are at an all-time high (in the interval depicted in the graph anyway). 

Reply #217
Only in America...

Death threats stop gun store from selling 'smart' gun. Why?
The White House has urged gun companies to invent safety technology that could limit a gun’s use to its owner. But two gun shops decided not to sell such guns after receiving death threats.

Andy Raymond, a Rockland, Md., firearms dealer, found out how much some people who love guns and the Second Amendment really hate some guns, causing the owner of Engage Armament this week to reverse his plan to sell the Armatix iP1, the nation’s first “smart” gun.

The German-made Armatix iP1 won’t fire unless it’s in proximity of a special watch, thus making it useless if stolen. Gun control advocates, including Attorney General Eric Holder, have cited such technology as potential life savers.

But the NRA and many gun owners say it’s a government Trojan horse intended to open the door for laws that will mandate “smart” technology in new guns in order to identify gun owners – a notion that’s widely seen by gun owners as a threat to Second Amendment rights.

Reply #218

Only in America...

Death threats stop gun store from selling 'smart' gun. Why?
The White House has urged gun companies to invent safety technology that could limit a gun’s use to its owner. But two gun shops decided not to sell such guns after receiving death threats.

Andy Raymond, a Rockland, Md., firearms dealer, found out how much some people who love guns and the Second Amendment really hate some guns, causing the owner of Engage Armament this week to reverse his plan to sell the Armatix iP1, the nation’s first “smart” gun.

The German-made Armatix iP1 won’t fire unless it’s in proximity of a special watch, thus making it useless if stolen. Gun control advocates, including Attorney General Eric Holder, have cited such technology as potential life savers.

But the NRA and many gun owners say it’s a government Trojan horse intended to open the door for laws that will mandate “smart” technology in new guns in order to identify gun owners – a notion that’s widely seen by gun owners as a threat to Second Amendment rights.

We have smart technology. Smart people might be a little harder to come by.

I recently heard of a woman who died in a single-vehicle accident when she used her "Smart Phone" to send a text to somebody while driving. She wasn't paying attention, the vehicle drifted a little and hit a pole at speed. There are laws in most states-- maybe all-- that make texting while driving illegal and billboard advertizing all over the place telling you this is a really stupid thing to do, but of course wrecking while texting always happens to the other guy-- not to me, right?

Here in Illinois, and I think in most other states, the idea that a "smart" gun is going to let government know who has guns is a bit of a stretch. In order to legally buy a firearm here, I would have to pass through enough checks and balances that only a willfully blind government could not know that I had a gun. I have to pass a government screening to see if I'm convicted-- and in some cases maybe only suspected-- of a long list of crimes, if I've been under medical care for mental illnesses, if I'm under restraining orders because I don't like somebody and so on. Then, the state of Illinois may issue me a "Firearm Owner Identification Card", without this card I can't legally have a gun. Today, having complied with that, I have to get training and a certificate-- issued by the State of Illinois-- if I want to carry the gun concealed. Now, with all of that state-issued ID and training, you mean to tell me that having a "Smart Gun" is going to let the state know that I have a legal gun????

Somebody ain't so smart, raising this issue. If you're a licensed gun owner-- most states have some sort of licensing-- they already know you're a legal gun owner. A "Smart Gun" isn't going to make any discernible difference in that.

Reply #219
Maybe those not-so-smart guys should be disarmed?:)

Reply #220

Maybe those not-so-smart guys should be disarmed?:)

I do begin to wonder about them. Smiley will go ballistic if anybody even thinks of depriving him of his legal arsenal, but let somebody suggest a way to make sure that only the legally authorized owner of the gun can fire it-- something that "smart gun" technology is supposed to do-- and they have melt-down because it's too much government control.

Reply #221
As was posted earlier:

Quote from: Jax citing an article from the Christian Science Monitor     
......it’s a government Trojan horse intended to open the door for laws that will mandate “smart” technology in new guns ................. a notion that’s widely seen by gun owners as a threat to Second Amendment rights.

Now, JFYI I am categorically apposed to any sort of 'smart gun' technology whatsoever because they are not 100% dependable or fool proof.

I expect my firearms to be 100% dependable, 100% of the time, if needed in a pinch.

A very simple example would be this firearm that requires a watch (which communicates via radio waves) to enable the user to use his firearm.

Theoretically the firearm is enabled if, & only if, your wearing the watch.

The rub is, say I don't sleep with my watch on, now when I depend on my firearm I would have to get my watch too?

That knife wielding Ice crazed crook standing at your bedroom door might not wait till you strap on yer watch, whereas in my case, in the not so smart days, he'd be chattin' with Saint Peter at the Pearlies in way less time it would take me to fiddle with my watch!

OR......batteries dead,,,,ooops, so am I.

Now, back to the article, a Governmental Trojan Horse:

It already is, & I bet the majority of the people in NJ don't even know it.....and it's their law:

....... a New Jersey law passed in 2002 known as the Childproof Handgun Law, which says that all guns sold in New Jersey must be state-approved smart guns within three years of a smart gun being sold anywhere in the country. The goal was to make smart guns mandatory as soon as the technology existed.

Now, even though that's just NJ, do you honestly think the goose steppin'  Anti-Gun Radical Left in congress wouldn't jump to their feet in glee while mustering up support to pass such a legislation buried somewhere in a bill......say an Obamacare type bill, where we were all told that we had to pass it before we could find out what the hell is in it!

[glow=blue,2,300]No thanks!!!! [/glow] ..... I say being totally against every form of "Smart Gun" & "Smart Gun Legislation" come hell or high water is the only Smart way to protect our Second Amendment Rights!

Reply #222
Smiley--- I really think you must live in the middle of a horror movie. Your house seems to generate murderous maniacs almost out of thin air. Now an icepick-wielding fiend at your bedroom door, another time a pack of thugs in your house, still another what-if concerning thugs disrupting a family barbecue and you might need a belt-fed machine gun to dispatch them---. Smiley, I don't know who you've ticked off to have all of those weirdos in your place but maybe you should consider (a) moving or (b) hiring an exorcist or (c) getting some serious help if you're seeing things.

I've lived in a couple of bad neighborhoods-- Garfield Park and South Austin neighborhoods in Chicago-- and never once had the kind of problems you seem to have on a regular basis in your home. Those neighborhoods I just mentioned have real bad gang problems, not as bad perhaps as certain South Side neighborhoods but they still manage to get in the news from time to time. I regularly sleep in the van at rest stops, visit truck stops and so on, never once ran into any of the characters that seem to frequent your nightmares-- not that it can't happen, there's always a first time, but it hasn't happened yet and I really have to wonder every time a new and improved "what if" comes along.

I wonder if gun ownership-- specifically handgun ownership-- carries a sort of paranoia with it. Could it be possible that a man sleeps without fear, doesn't conjure up nightmare scenarios like having a team of thugs in his house late at night and so on-- until the day he buys a gun for protection, and from that day he never has a peaceful moment because his "peacemaker" keeps his head full of what-ifs? The reason I wonder that is because I know that many people go through their entire lives without having knife-wielding fiends, Ice-enraged lunatics, gangs of thugs and axe-murderers roaming their houses and neighborhoods, on the other hand it seems some gun-owners have this going on ALL THE TIME and of course you must be prepared with heavy weapons and huge ammo clips to feed the heavy weapons "just in case".

Reply #223
No paranoia here, no maniacs bangin' at my door 'cuz I pissed 'em off somehow.

Why you insist in saying that because I have an assortment of legal firearms, & the ammunition for them, I'm somehow besieged by either imaginary threats or deranged mobs?

You seem to be a good fellow, as far as I've interacted with you, but you seem to harp on the points that I must have pissed off mobs of bloodthirsty evildoers & vicious drug lords out to cap my sorry ass. That,  or I must live in a real bad neighborhood, etc...etc...

You seem to have to quantify my 'need' for the firearms I own, when 'need' has absolutely nothing to do with my owning them.

Do I 'need' over 150 firearms from a derringer all the way up to machine guns, & even a grenade launcher? 

Nope..... I haven't 'needed' a single one of them in any form of  desperate situation to date.

Why do I have over 150,000 rounds (give or take) of ammunition for my various firearms?

Do I 'need' them?

Nope..... Outside of having them for my own pleasurable uses, to date I haven't 'needed' a single round for any form of  desperate situation.

So why do I have all my firearms & ammunitions? 

I have them for many reasons. I have them because some are collector items.

I have some of them to use for my shooting/sporting pleasure so to speak.

I have some of them for personal protection.

I could go on & on with reasons I have them, but the bottom line in a nutshell, I have them not because I 'need' them, but because I 'want' them, I 'can afford' them, & it's 'my God given right' to have them, & I will continue to have them until I see fit to part with them, or I die, whichever comes first.

I'm simply saying I have the gawdamn right to protect my life, the lives of my family, my property,
& the lives of my friends any way I see fit  [glow=green,2,300].........PERIOD!!![/glow]

What does this mean?

It means that no governments -- local, state, or federal --- no goose-steppin' politicians --- are going to tell me as to what I might  'need', how 'much' or 'how many' of whatever I can have, or how I should be allowed to go about keeping them.

We've been down this road before, & I end up having to say the same things over & over, & over....

Maybe you should start listening......then again it means no matter what....It simply means I'm going to exercise my 'Rights' (my Natural Rights, not those offered to me by any man) come hell or high water until the moment I die.

Reply #224

I wonder if gun ownership-- specifically handgun ownership-- carries a sort of paranoia with it. Could it be possible that a man sleeps without fear, doesn't conjure up nightmare scenarios like having a team of thugs in his house late at night and so on-- until the day he buys a gun for protection, and from that day he never has a peaceful moment because his "peacemaker" keeps his head full of what-ifs?

I have a nagging suspicion that at least some of these people have a constant, horrible itch to actually use their shiny new toys in real life. Those aren't nightmares but wishful thinking.