Skip to main content
Topic: Blurry text with QtWebEngine (Read 1887 times)

Blurry text with QtWebEngine

Among other issues, Otter displays blurry text with QtWebEngine backend on my Windows 7. This is not ClearType on/off, ClearType is always on, but seems like Blink uses own algorithm or ClearType settings, giving more blur as result. But WebKit-based Otter gives the same anlialiasing as the system itself, Opera 12 and Firefox, which makes it usable.

This is not just Otter problem, QupZilla-QtWebEngine has it too. If QtWebEngine is the future of Otter, I afraid to that future.

Re: Blurry text with QtWebEngine

Reply #1
Could you please provide at least two screenshots of how it should look (one) and what you actually see (another)?

Reply #3
Well, you should try the beta version of Chrome. Chromium developers are removing GDI support and use DirectWrite as a replacement. This causes blurry fonts on Chromium/Blink-based browsers. See if you experience the same level of blurriness with a beta release of Chrome. You wrote that Opera didn't produce the blurriness. I would also give Opera beta a try.

If both Opera beta and Chrome beta produce the same kind of blurriness, welcome to the greatest manifestation of developer idealism idiotism, when some maniacs, that always demand progress and don't want to maintain a little more amount of code, can even oppose common sense (and eyesight). If this is the case, please make your voice heard on the forums below.

No option to disable DirectWrite - Google Product Forums
Keep the "Disable DirectWrite" option (GDI font rendering) - Opera forums
Keep GDI font rendering as an alternative to DirectWrite - Google Groups
Are you serious about forcing DirectWrite upon us? - Goolge Groups

Meanwhile, some Otter developer could confirm if this change in Chromium will affect Otter in the future or not.

Reply #4
@Freeman, at the moment revived QtWebKit (available as -qtwebkitng packages right now) seems to be our future as default backend.
QtWebEngine simply has limited APIs, and it's not going to change anytime soon...
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.