Skip to main content
Topic: Can Detroit get any worse? (Read 21032 times)

Re: Can Detroit get any worse?

Reply #75
hyah, ha. Only 1% is the excuse and in hard terms 43 million people?? Just as well you don't have a Welfare State it would cost too much and the corporate military industry for a great one would be kicking up hell.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #76
in hard terms 43 million people
Is that how you evaded the various slaughters in India and China? (Granted, in India, the British influence was mostly good — despite the millions killed. And Hong Kong was a marvel of liberal -in the best sense- government, that came from Britain.) Put away your petty peeves, RJ. They're unbecoming and transparently xenophobic…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #77
Might that have something to do with the federal government's EPA...?
Somewhat. But the bigger issue is mechanization of the mines and the fact that other technolgies such as cheaper, clear natural gas are replacing coal. But you lacked the cognitive ability to read the article that I offered showing the poverty in those regions going back centuries (even before the EPA! :gasp: )
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #78
So: It's the Republican's fault, after all? :) You're incoherent, Sang! But that's nothing new…
进行 ...

Reply #79
WTF are you talking about? I'm talking about technology changes and you're making it partisan issue. Are you drunk or just unable see past Democrats and Republicans? Is it hard to understand there are incompetent Republicans and Democrats? The Democrats in Detroit failed to transition their city's economy to something profitable besides automobile assembly. In Appalachia, the Republicans similarly failed address the loss of coal jobs to mechanization and fall of the coal market. What frustrates me about you is that you're actually smart enough to know this, but insist on reading jackassary about poverty in Democratic cities (with the blogs lying by omission about why some of the most successful cities in the country are also Democratic and ignoring poverty in Republican controlled areas...) None if this is hard if you would just stop poisoning your mind with those blogs of yours.
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #80
What I think is very directly sad is when you actually see the physical state of much of Detroit away from the city centre. Street after street empty, houses falling apart or some selling for small sums. The last time I seen a documentary about the city what flabbergasted me was the large number of people who had no drinking water. How can this happen in a modern country?

Reply #81
The entire country will turn much worse than Detroit.
To defend protecionism and isolacionism when the country survived destruction by imposing globalism? the Trump is an idiot.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #82
The Democrats in Detroit failed to transition their city's economy to something profitable besides automobile assembly. In Appalachia, the Republicans similarly failed address the loss of coal jobs to mechanization and fall of the coal market.
A big part of the problem is what you mention: The political mechanism of the city of Detroit "failed to transition"… The part that you ignore is that the Federal Government actively attempted to destroy the coal industry…

But that's what you do: You posit your politics as unassailable, virtuous — no matter what the results, when you win.

Guess what? You lost a lot recently. Are Feinstein, Pelosi, Schumer and Weiner going to run for the presidency in 2020? Biden might; he's your best hope, it seems to me… :)

Detroit -with government approval- decided that the Japanese auto manufactures couldn't compete with "us" — while making sure that American auto manufacturers had to meet CAFE standards that made no sense.
(The Japanese manufacturers didn't care that they made no sense: They met them.)
Detroit's unionized work-force demanded and got their raises and pensions. And assured that the Japanese manufacturers would win…
But, of course, more Americans dead on the highway is a small price to pay for a well-thought out federal policy!

That's pretty much how Detroit went under: Democrats thinking that they know best, and should be given the power to implement their presumptive prowess. Federal and state and local government, supporting… Hm! What did they support?

Now, you're having a hard time understanding that whatever it was they supported that the people mostly no longer do?
进行 ...

Reply #83
"Biden might; he's your best hope, it seems to me... :)"
You're hoping for a second term for Trump, aren't you?

"A big part of the problem is what you mention: The political mechanism of the city of Detroit "failed to transition."

The joy of being a DnD "expert" is that one doesn't have to devise programs that will pass muster and 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒌. It's enough to make up shit and cast for the uncatchable fish while yelling 𝙄 𝙘𝙖𝙪𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙝𝙞𝙢, 𝙄 𝙘𝙖𝙪𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙝𝙞𝙢❗

Reply #84
You're hoping for a second term for Trump, aren't you?
If he does well in his first term, yes.
If he doesn't, well, I was always for Cruz… :)

(I'd bet I can code better than you, Mr. Tennessee! Specially if we're constrained to 8-bit iron! But I'd be willing to compromise: How about we compete on a PDP-7? Or an 11?)
进行 ...

Reply #85
(I'd bet I can code better than you, Mr. Tennessee! Specially if we're constrained to 8-bit iron! But I'd be willing to compromise: How about we compete on a PDP-7? Or an 11?)
You're drinking again, aren't you?

Or...

Reply #86
He has to fall back on booze as people with grey cells give a polite smile, sigh and walk away.

Will Detroit get better? Under Trump...YES!

Reply #87

Trump set to visit Detroit area for Auto-Related Event

Jobs for America ... Jobs for Michigan ... Jobs for Detroit

Source:      THE DETROIT NEWS     
Washington — The White House said President Donald J. Trump on Wednesday will visit the Detroit area, where he will talk up his priorities of bolstering the manufacturing industry and taming the outsourcing of American jobs.

Trump is expected to visit visit the American Center for Mobility at Willow Run in Ypsilanti Township around mid-day to announce the reopening of the mid-term review of fuel economy standards, according to two sources familiar with the plans. Chief executives from major automakers are expected to attend, the sources said.

The American Center for Mobility, a nonprofit testing site for future connected and self-driving vehicles, sits on a 355-acre Willow Run site.

The White House did not immediately confirm the details on the location.

Under Trump, the Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Transportation are expected to reopen the review of greenhouse gas emission standards that require automakers to produce car and truck fleets averaging more than 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025.

The fuel-economy standards were supposed to be reviewed in 2018 but in its last days the Obama administration EPA pushed through portions of the regulations before Trump took office.

The Auto Alliance, a trade group which represents automakers including Detroit’s Big Three, has said this “unnecessarily politicized” the midterm review of the emission standards by moving to finalize the regulations ahead of schedule.

The automakers argued that, under the stringent targets locked under Obama, the industry would have to spend $200 billion between 2012 and 2025 to comply.

In what will be his first visit to Michigan since taking office, Trump is expected to meet with representatives of the auto companies, suppliers and unions, including a rally with workers, said a senior administration official who exclusively briefed The Detroit News.

“This is a continuation of a dialogue with the auto industry leaders, and also going back and reconnecting with a lot of the people who elected him,” said Chris Liddell, former chief financial officer of General Motors Co. who is now assistant to the president for strategic initiatives at the White House.

Trump was last in Michigan on Dec. 9, when he visited the Grand Rapids area for a rally as part of his “thank you” tour of states that helped him win the presidential election. The former New York businessman won the state by 10,704 votes, helping Republicans take the state for the first time since 1988.

Wednesday’s visit will be Trump’s first to Michigan since taking office. Gov. Rick Snyder said Monday it’ll be a great opportunity to highlight the state's progress with intelligent and autonomous vehicles and the importance to Michigan of the North American Free Trade Agreement -- which the president has criticized and wants to be renegotiated.

The governor did not say if he will be attending any talks with Trump. Snyder’s staff said after a Monday news conference in Detroit that those details are still being worked out.

Trump’s return to Michigan underscores his focus on the auto industry, which he has publicly pressured to move manufacturing jobs and plants back to the states.

During his first week in office, Trump met privately with chief executives of Ford Motor Co., GM and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV at the White House. GM CEO and Chairman Mary Barra is part of an economic policy group advising the president, and Ford President and CEO Mark Fields sits on a manufacturing council advising him.

Trump has singled out Ford and GM for making cars in Mexico and importing them into the United States. During his campaign, he vowed to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement with Canada and Mexico or, if unsuccessful, slap a tariff as high as 35 percent on autos and other products made in Mexico.

After slamming Ford for months for planning a new factory in Mexico, the president praised the Dearborn automaker when it scrapped the idea – even though Ford insisted the decision was not prompted by Trump's criticism.

“Since my election, Ford, Fiat-Chrysler, General Motors, Sprint, Softbank, Lockheed, Intel, Wal-Mart, and many others, have announced that they will invest billions of dollars in the United States and will create tens of thousands of new American jobs.” .....continued

Under President Trump, there will be new sweeping incentives for large businesses to return American Industry back to America, especially to places like Detroit, & with them bring back the jobs that belong in America, & not in Third World Countries like Mexico, Malaysia, & Thailand .... just to name three.

"America First" starts with American Jobs!

In times of universal deceit, telling the honest truth is a revolutionary act.

Reply #88
Well I hope that your President unlike the ones before him will take on the challenge of Detroit which is a crying and damn shame. Street after street of empty houses large numbers with no running water and so on. It is a bad image and it is time that the challenge is directly looked at. That Trump is going there is a new positive thing.