Skip to main content
Topic: Myr — is it a spice or a poison? (Read 19278 times)

Re: Myr — is it a spice or a poison?

Reply #50
I'd be happy with some microbes and a few of attendant viruses, but I don't expect that any will pop up any time soon.

Anybody up for Mars exploration?
The temperature on Mars may reach a high of about 70 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees Celsius) at noon, at the equator in the summer, or a low of about -225 degrees Fahrenheit (-153 degrees Celsius) at the poles.

Reply #51
Darwinists simply project the kind of life they see on earth into outer space and expect to find it there. Wrong definition, wrong expectations.

Nothing terribly wrong with that, it's the only kind of life we know of and you gots to start somewhere.  What is so special about our planet that you wouldn't expect nature to do the same thing on similar planets?  Keeping in mind that a God did none of what we see, which is the only rational way to discuss this topic.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #52
There are good ethical reasons to not help science. Namely, science methodically spits on ethics.

Lol...not a good reason not to, besides science gets spit on by everybody else.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #53
So we still haven't figured out the base problem of this thread. Is there life anywhere else but here? Life of any kind, whether intelligent or not?

Given present technology, we've only just begun to discover planets beyond our system. In most cases, we haven't seen the planets themselves, we've guessed at them because of the behavior of the stars they orbit.

We are not able to prove, given present technology, that life of any kind exists on any of those planets.

We are not able to prove, given present technology, that life-- even intelligent life, even life beyond us in intelligence and technology-- doesn't exist on any of those planets.

We simply---- don't know. We're guessing, and your science-fiction horror-monster space alien is as good as mine.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #54
Given present technology, we've only just begun to discover planets beyond our system. In most cases, we haven't seen the planets themselves, we've guessed at them because of the behavior of the stars they orbit.

Or next year astronomers can find an object moving through in the Ort Cloud in what appears to be in a strangely controlled way. Closer examinations reveals that it appears to be a vessel of some kind. Thirty seconds later, the governments of Earth cover it up.  

Reply #55
So we still haven't figured out the base problem of this thread. Is there life anywhere else but here? Life of any kind, whether intelligent or not?

With the launch of the awesomely powerful James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), due in 2018, many many questions about the universe will become much clearer, including the existence of suitable exoplanets for life.  More.   :knight:   :cheers:
James J

Reply #56
Or next year astronomers can find an object moving through in the Ort Cloud in what appears to be in a strangely controlled way. Closer examinations reveals that it appears to be a vessel of some kind. Thirty seconds later, the governments of Earth cover it up.

Oh yeah, like we can see a tiny vehicle that is at least half a trillion miles away...jeez.   :knight:  :P
James J

Reply #57
Okay I got carried away :p It happens. I did find out the The smallest Kuiper Belt object It's half a mile across and Hubble couldn't see it directly. Although an interstellar craft could well be that size, it would be impossible to detect in the Oort cloud at present.

Reply #58
Maybe so, but much much of the article itself is complete gibberish. It even touches on the idea that the universe seems fine tuned for man; in fact the more you know about astronomy, etc the less "fine tuned" the universe is. Even so, I can find some truth in there. It just gets difficult to overlook the nonsense. Maybe the distracting and sometimes incorrect tangents the other goes one just needed to be edited out.

If the universe is "fine-tuned" for anything, it's black holes. For man? Hah!

There are good ethical reasons to not help science. Namely, science methodically spits on ethics.

If a system of ethics doesn't consider the truth important, it's inherently unethical and deserves to be spit on. One has  to be very careful to distinguish "good ethical reasons" from the epitome of unethicality.

Reply #59
Not sure where to go with this one. "Science" regularly gives us believers a hard time because science can't measure God, therefore claims Him not to exist.

On the other hand, we recently had a thread about paranormal activity, and truth to tell most of that stuff doesn't stand up to even cursory examination. You-Tube is full of poltergeist videos, and not one of them looks anything but staged for the camera. There MIGHT be a couple of ghost incidents which could stand scientific examination, but most of it is-- bunkum. That which is real is stuff you don't want to mess with, "the thief comes only to steal, kill and destroy".
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #60
Not sure where to go with this one. "Science" regularly gives us believers a hard time because science can't measure God, therefore claims Him not to exist.

"Science" does nothing of the sort, but some scientists do while others don't.
Nearly 36 percent of scientists have no doubt about God’s existence
18 percent of scientists attended weekly religious services (compared with 20 percent of the general U.S. population
15 percent of scientists consider themselves very religious (19 percent)
13.5 percent of scientists read religious texts weekly (17 percent)
But research also shows where the threads of suspicion run. A 2009 study by Pew Research found a wider gap between scientists and the general public on religion. And Ecklund’s new study also found:

22 percent of scientists and 20 percent of the general population think most religious people are hostile to science
22 percent of the general population thinks scientists are hostile to religion
27 percent of Americans feel that science and religion are in conflict
Of those who feel science and religion are in conflict, 52 percent sided with religion
- See more at: http://cathylynngrossman.religionnews.com/2014/02/16/science-religion-aaas-hamonnye-evangelical/#sthash.cg7CX2gK.dpuf

Reply #61
Science and philosophy are — like American Idol…? (You've done your job well, teacher!)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #62

If a system of ethics doesn't consider the truth important, it's inherently unethical and deserves to be spit on. One has  to be very careful to distinguish "good ethical reasons" from the epitome of unethicality.

In all honesty, it looks like we agree definition of ethics. However, note that there's no science in the definition. The same way as science is incapable of defining ethics (because ethics is unempirical), it's also incapable of defining truth. The notion of separability of truth and ethics is a misconception. In philosophy, truth is an ethical value, inseparable from ethics as a whole.

Anyway, whether separable or not, both truth and ethics as a whole are unempirical. Empirical science has no claim on the immaterial, even though it mistakenly tries to lay claim on it all the time.

Reply #63
Empirical science has no claim on the immaterial, even though it mistakenly tries to lay claim on it all the time.

You might provide some examples...three would be nice.

Reply #64
Anyway, whether separable or not, both truth and ethics as a whole are unempirical. Empirical science has no claim on the immaterial, even though it mistakenly tries to lay claim on it all the time.

Hello Ersi...'Science has no claim on the immaterial' is correct simply because there is no truth (empirically, logically or otherwise), to the immaterial.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #65
Truth is a difficult concept because it varies so much from culture to culture, and within a culture from person to person.

Science doesn't help.

Almost a quarter of Americans think scientists are hostile to religion. But what do we really know about how scientists think about morality, spirituality and faith?

From 2005 to 2008, I surveyed nearly 1,700 natural and social scientists on their views about religion, spirituality and ethics and spoke with 275 of them in depth in their offices and laboratories. It turns out that nearly 50 percent of scientists identify with a religious label, and nearly one in five is actively involved in a house of worship, attending services more than once a month. While many scientists are completely secular, my survey results show that elite scientists are also sitting in the pews of our nation's churches, temples and mosques.

Of the atheist and agnostic scientists I had in-depth conversations with, more than 30 percent considered themselves atheists; however, less than six percent of these were actively working against religion. Many atheist and agnostic scientists even think key mysteries about the world can be best understood spiritually, and some attend houses of worship, completely comfortable with religion as moral training for their children and an alternative form of community. If religious people better understood the full range of atheistic practice -- and the way that it interfaces with religion for some -- they might be less likely to hold negative attitudes toward nonreligious scientists. The truth is that many atheist scientists have no desire to denigrate religion or religious people.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elaine-howard-ecklund-phd/the-contours-of-what-scie_b_611905.html

Reply #67
Indeed.

Reply #68
my survey results show that elite scientists are also sitting in the pews of our nation's churches, temples and mosques.

Right along side of those scientists there seems to be many non-believing religious people.  Too many people are either confused by labels or simply refuse to be labeled at all.  Click   :knight:   :cheers:
James J

Reply #69
I'm not sure about how I would qualify in that survey. If they started asking "what church do you belong to?" the answer would be a Lutheran one. Then, "do you believe in God?", "no". I would not score as an atheist, but as a Lutheran that's not certain about God.

Reply #70

Looks like atheist and agnostic churches are seriously left behind when it comes to belief in God, but even they are not totally devoid of faith :D

By the way, what kind of church is "nothing in particular"? Where can I join?

Reply #71
Million years?

In the sixth year Aniara fared
with undiminished speed toward Lyra's stars.
The chief astronomer gave the emigrants
a lecture on the depth of outer space.
In his hand he held a splendid bowl of glass:

We're slowly coming to suspect that the space
we're traveling through is of a different kind
from what we thought whenever the word "space"
was decked out by our fantasies on Earth.
We're coming to suspect now that our drift
is even deeper than we first believed,
that knowledge is a blue naiveté
which with the insight needful to the purpose
assumed the Mystery to have a structure.
We now suspect that what we say is space
and glassy-clear around Aniara's hull
is spirit, everlasting and impalpable,
that we are lost in spiritual seas.

Our space-ship Aniara travels on
in something that does not possess a brain-pan
and does not even need the stuff of brains.
She's traveling on in something that exists
but does not need to take the path of thought.
Through God and Death and Mystery we race
on space-ship Aniara without goal or trace.
O would that we could turn back to our base
now that we realize what our space-ship is:
a little bubble in the glass of Godhead.

I shall relate what I have heard of glass
and then you'll understand. In any glass
that stands untouched for a sufficient time,
gradually a bubble in the glass will move
infinitely slowly to a different point
in the glazen form, and in a thousand years
the bubble's made a voyage in its glass.

Similarly, in a boundless space
a gulf the depth of light-years throws its arch
round bubble Aniara on her march.
For though the rate she travels at is great
and much more rapid than the swiftest planet,
her speed as measured by the scale of space
exactly corresponds to that we know
the bubble makes inside this bowl of glass.

Aniara, song 13

[video]http://youtu.be/4Z5IaQiTC1s[/video]

Reply #72
Looks like atheist and agnostic churches are seriously left behind when it comes to belief in God, but even they are not totally devoid of faith

Let me know if you ever find an atheist or agnostic church. My head is spinning.

Reply #74

Looks like atheist and agnostic churches are seriously left behind when it comes to belief in God, but even they are not totally devoid of faith

Let me know if you ever find an atheist or agnostic church. My head is spinning.

With the First Church of Atheism you can become ordained quickly, easily, and at no cost.