Skip to main content
Topic: Myr — is it a spice or a poison? (Read 19282 times)

Re: Myr — is it a spice or a poison?

Reply #25

If life, especially intelligent life, is found on another planet will that mess up your religion?   :knight:  :cheers:

Nope. My God is big enough to handle that. If your god isn't, perhaps you need a bigger god.

The Milky Way alone is incredibly huge, more stars than can be counted (at least without using a supercomputer, not sure if even then) and a fair number of those stars occur within the zone where we think life can exist. Some of those stars may have habitable planets-- again, we don't know for sure either way-- and if a planet is habitable, God is able to put intelligent life on it if that suits His purpose.

So,--- no, it doesn't disturb my religion if intelligent life is found elsewhere.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #27

and if a planet is habitable, God is able to put intelligent life on it if that suits His purpose.

So you don't believe life evolves?

If you want to believe you're descended from some ape in the distant past, be my guest. Since you asked---- nope. Not the way it would have to in order to make things happen the way you want to believe they did.
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #28
Given the "Intelligent life in space" debate, and the evolution question posed by JSeaton, I suppose the following cartoon sorta belongs here. History Channel has gotten a bit bizarre lately too.

Reply #29
Even the Catholic Church and the Pope don't deny evolution and they simply can't if they wish to remain a credible entity.  To deny it seems to me a bit like denying the nose on your face.  Do you think it's a scientific conspiracy of sorts?  :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #30
I don't think it's scientific.

Reply #31
Neither is God scientific.
==========================================================
We share 36% of our DNA with fruit flies, 98% with chimpanzees, 85% with zebra fish, 7% with bacteria, 15% with mustard grass and 21% with roundworms. Zero % with rocks.

That gives special meaning with the statement "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!"

What was God thinking?

Reply #32
If life, especially intelligent life, is found on another planet will that mess up your religion?

That sounds like just what the doctor ordered :yes: :cheers:
What if we're on the menu, and we really do taste like chicken?

Us being on the menu is the stuff of B- grade movies, such as Peter Jackson's early work. Traveling  interstellar distances, while keeping themselves alive long enough to do so is non-sensible. So don't worry. Besides we don't taste like chicken. Cannibal tribes have reported that we taste more like pork ;)

Reply #34

I don't think it's scientific.

In what ways is evolution theory not scientific?   :knight:  ???

Are you able to duplicate it in the lab? I don't mean dig up a bone somewhere and say this is the legbone of the mildewdebeast, I mean are you able to show that macroevolution actually happens. Science is able to duplicate among other things, able to show by demonstration that something you say is so is actually so.

I have yet to hear of one-- even one only-- successful experiment where life was brought forth from non-living matter in the lab--- and that this experiment, if it ever did exist, was duplicatable.

Reply #35
Original text.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1MbioglP9k[/video]

Reply #36
Are you able to duplicate it in the lab?

Strangely enough, yes.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14094-bacteria-make-major-evolutionary-shift-in-the-lab.html#.VNQhcKz3fbg
A major evolutionary innovation has unfurled right in front of researchers' eyes. It's the first time evolution has been caught in the act of making such a rare and complex new trait.

And because the species in question is a bacterium, scientists have been able to replay history to show how this evolutionary novelty grew from the accumulation of unpredictable, chance events.

Twenty years ago, evolutionary biologist Richard Lenski of Michigan State University in East Lansing, US, took a single Escherichia coli bacterium and used its descendants to found 12 laboratory populations.

The 12 have been growing ever since, gradually accumulating mutations and evolving for more than 44,000 generations, while Lenski watches what happens.

Profound change

Mostly, the patterns Lenski saw were similar in each separate population. All 12 evolved larger cells, for example, as well as faster growth rates on the glucose they were fed, and lower peak population densities.

But sometime around the 31,500th generation, something dramatic happened in just one of the populations - the bacteria suddenly acquired the ability to metabolise citrate, a second nutrient in their culture medium that E. coli normally cannot use.

Indeed, the inability to use citrate is one of the traits by which bacteriologists distinguish E. coli from other species. The citrate-using mutants increased in population size and diversity.

"It's the most profound change we have seen during the experiment. This was clearly something quite different for them, and it's outside what was normally considered the bounds of E. coli as a species, which makes it especially interesting," says Lenski.

In other words, that population became a different species. Obviously it would pretty well impossible to witness speciation of complex lifeforms in the lab, but always forget about how quickly primitive life such as bacteria go through thousands of generations. Quickly enough to witness them evolve into a different species.
I have yet to hear of one-- even one only-- successful experiment where life was brought forth from non-living matter in the lab--- and that this experiment, if it ever did exist, was duplicatable.

I'm not sure you guys really understand what you're saying here. You're saying the self-duplicating RNA and DNA molecules are impossible even if all the necessary ingredients and conditions are present and those simple lifeforms can't evolve  into more complex ones as it adapts to its environment, but a being so advanced it can create a universe can appear on it's own and requires no precursors. Occam's Razor would seem to slice on science's side.

Now maybe creationism can answer where all the fossils came from, why the "missing links" are being regularly filled in.

Reply #37
Are you able to duplicate it in the lab? I don't mean dig up a bone somewhere and say this is the legbone of the mildewdebeast, I mean are you able to show that macroevolution actually happens. Science is able to duplicate among other things, able to show by demonstration that something you say is so is actually so.

Well, at least "science" doesn't attempt to show by demonstration that god exists, and yet, some people think it does. 'Actually' is a fuzzy concept.

Reply #38
Two different things here: evolution doesn't depend on abiogenesis, although it's support is useful. Even considering that God created life, evolution takes place, and has been well observed and understood.
Whether it's a fact, it's still debatable. Life as it is today can have been formed by evolution or have been created by God. Now, if it's not the result of evolution, it can be disproved some day. If it's not created by God, it will never be disproved. That's why evolution is scientific - even supposing that it hasn't been confirmed yet (although I think it has). It's a theory, and so it can be researched.

Reply #39
Whether it's a fact, it's still debatable. Life as it is today can have been formed by evolution or have been created by God.

When science declares that something is true or a fact it doesn't ever mean that it is true in the absolute sense, that isn't how any science works.  A scientific fact is an assertion for which there is so much evidence that it would be perverse to deny it.  For example only a philosopher (like Ersi perhaps), would deny that atoms exist and are the smallest recognizable part of an element.  Scientific theories make predictions and once those predictions are proven true by observation and repeated experimentation by others across several lines of science without a  single failure, only then does it get so close to fact that you would have to be totally ignorant or just plain obstinate to deny it. 

Evolution theory predicts that if life originated in the distant past and then evolved, we should see that the first detectable forms of life were simple and only later would more complex forms appear.  This is has been proven true and confirmed not only by the fossil records but by other areas of science as well.  Evolution also says that if lineages split into two or more species then it should be seen in the fossil records.  Marine sediments contain the most complete record of the evolution of life on Earth and indeed 'evolution in action' can be seen best in core samples taken from the seabed where tiny hard shelled marine micro fossils simply sink to the bottom of the ocean and are preserved.  A time slice can be taken by drilling a core and then analyzing it in the laboratory where this lineage splitting (speciation), can be plainly seen, documented and repeated in other laboratories using their own core samples from around the globe.  An example of speciation on a larger scale can be plainly seen in the evolution of the horse which mainly occured in North America and for which they are countless fossil records going back to when an ancient ancestor of the horse had 5 toes.  There are hundreds of other examples of speciation occurring if one cares to look them up.  http://education.nationalgeographic.com/education/encyclopedia/speciation/?ar_a=1 

Another prediction of Darwin's evolution was that all creatures share a common ancestry even though Darwin had no proof of that at the time.  Therefore, we should be able to find transitional forms that connect newer groups to their common ancestors.  For example, if birds and reptiles share a common ancestry then evolution would predict that there would be transitional species that show physical characteristics of both birds and reptiles.  There are some very dramatic and famous fossil records of a feathered dinosaur (archaeopteryx), which you may have seen.  But not only do these fossils fulfill all the requirements of a transitional species, but they also occur at the appropriate time in the fossil records, i.e. after dinosaurs disappeared and before birds appeared as well.  And by the way, not a single transitional fossil record has ever been shown to be out of its time sequence. 

Evolution also predicts that if speciation occurs there should be vestigial (dead or degraded), genes in newer species that no longer exhibit a particular physical characteristic from their ancestors.  This is seen in the human species where a 4 week embryo starts to develop an egg sac with yolk.  And when scientists looked at the human genome, lo and behold they found it contains 3 genes to make egg yolk. These genes are broken or incomplete so the egg sac and yolk never fully develop and disappear (are switched off), during later stages of fetal development.  How would a creationist explain human genes to develop egg yolk (not to mention gills and a tail), other than the fact that we inherited those genes from a common ancestor, namely birds, reptiles, fish and primates?  Human embryos resemble those of many other species because all animals carry very ancient genes. These genes date back to the origin of cells, which are expressed during a middle phase of embryonic development.  Less than 2 per cent of the human genome is actually coding; the rest is a veritable graveyard of junk, consisting of old genes that have lost their function and various other repeat elements.  Why would a divine and perfect creator do that? 

Evolution is clearly scientific and proven true across numerous lines of biology and other sciences.  The bottom line is that any intelligent and sufficiently educated creationist has to be exceedingly stubborn not to accept it as true.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #40

When science declares that something is true or a fact it doesn't ever mean that it is true in the absolute sense, that isn't how any science works.  A scientific fact is an assertion for which there is so much evidence that it would be perverse to deny it. 

So, science does not declare absolute truth, but (merely) that those who disagree are "perverse". Some other people here would maintain that this is how religion works in their opinion, but you are saying science works this way. Looks like science and religion are not that different. And it makes sense, because when you remove religion, it's natural that some other thing assumes its place.

For example only a philosopher (like Ersi perhaps), would deny that atoms exist and are the smallest recognizable part of an element.

A philosopher (like Ersi) says that atoms are not what you think they are. Atoms are a subset of the general order of things and they follow the order. Atoms do not make up the order for all other things. QM happens to agree with me in that atoms are not particles; the notion of fundamental particles was in error all along.

Reply #41
So, science does not declare absolute truth, but (merely) that those who disagree are "perverse".

How long are you going to harp on this nonsense of yours when you fully know the answer yourself?  Science makes no absolute claims simply because theories cannot be tested in every single instance and situation in the universe.  We have found no reason to doubt that scientific theories are applicable universally, but science chooses to remain science by its definition and declares no absolute truths.  Now stop. 

Quote from: jseaton2311 on 2015-02-06, 22:05:02For example only a philosopher (like Ersi perhaps), would deny that atoms exist and are the smallest recognizable part of an element.
A philosopher (like Ersi) says that atoms are not what you think they are. Atoms are a subset of the general order of things and they follow the order. Atoms do not make up the order for all other things. QM happens to agree with me in that atoms are not particles; the notion of fundamental particles was in error all along.

I said "part" not particle, but let us not split hairs on that when in actuality there are no particles at all.  What is the smallest fundamental particle of matter?  There is none because when you look deeper and deeper into so-called particles at the subatomic level nothing but energy emerges.  Quarks are theorized to be made of vibrating strings of pure energy, so at the deepest level there is no fundamental particle of matter at all.  These vibrating strings are thought to be so infinitesimally small that you would need to expand a single atom of hydrogen up to the size of the whole universe to even see it--at that point it would be about the size of an average tree.  Cool beans.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #42
We have found no reason to doubt that scientific theories are applicable universally […]

You, sir, must live in an alternate universe!

Even such a commonplace as consciousness eludes scientific elucidation. (Let alone, explication.) Science is good at what it does.
It sucks, at what it doesn't do.

But I'll give you a chance to redeem yourself:
We have found no reason to doubt that scientific theories are applicable universally […]
Note three "theories" of Science that are universally applicable.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #43

I said "part" not particle, but let us not split hairs on that when in actuality there are no particles at all.  What is the smallest fundamental particle of matter?  There is none because when you look deeper and deeper into so-called particles at the subatomic level nothing but energy emerges. 

This goes to prove my point: Atoms (as particles) was the wrong theory all along.

Quarks are theorized to be made of vibrating strings of pure energy, ...

Strings are wrong too. Just plain wrong. One of the reasons why the scientific community has ended up saying they have no claim to (absolute) truth is their track record for having been wrong.

Reply #44
Quote from: jseaton2311 on 2015-02-06, 15:45:58We have found no reason to doubt that scientific theories are applicable universally […]You, sir, must live in an alternate universe!

Even such a commonplace as consciousness eludes scientific elucidation. (Let alone, explication.) Science is good at what it does.
It sucks, at what it doesn't do.

I certainly need to watch my modifiers with you, but you are correct in pointing that out.  Some scientific theories have simply not been tested experimentally and others have simply not been tested enough (or long enough), to believe that they would be universally applicable.  However, for you to say that science sucks at what it doesn't do (presently I assume), is like saying that a sports arena sucks as a sports arena while it is a work in progress (being built).  Besides it's only your poorly informed (you stubbornly refuse to see what science is or how it works), subjective and highly biased opinion (i.e., useless).

Quote from: jseaton2311 on 2015-02-06, 15:45:58We have found no reason to doubt that scientific theories are applicable universally […]Note three "theories" of Science that are universally applicable.

I simply said that science has not yet come upon any circumstance or any grounds to believe that certain theories are not universally applicable.  The names 'law' and 'theory' in science are primarily historical. During the time of Newton it was popular to ascribe physical "laws" to the world (e.g. Newton's Laws of motion, Kepler's Laws of planetary motion).  By the time of Einstein, it was no longer popular to do so, and instead we look at physical "theories". For example Newton's Law of Gravity has been refined (some say falsified), by Einstein's Theory of Relativity.  Therefore, science can now see that Newton's Law of Gravity should have been more correctly called a theory.  Today every hypothesis in science, no matter how reliable or time tested, is called a theory.  It's just semantics.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #45
This goes to prove my point: Atoms (as particles) was the wrong theory all along.

If you wish to argue the silly linguists of names, go to a linguistics thread. 

Quote from: jseaton2311 on 2015-02-06, 23:45:58Quarks are theorized to be made of vibrating strings of pure energy, ...

Ersi: Strings are wrong too. Just plain wrong. One of the reasons why the scientific community has ended up saying they have no claim to (absolute) truth is their track record for having been wrong.

Even you have acknowledged that any original hypothesis in science is simply a guess--that's how it all starts.  When humans guess, they can be wrong much of the time or at least partially wrong.  When hypotheses are tested and proven false in even one instance, then they either need to be discarded or, most often, modified and tested again (wash, rinse, repeat).   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #46

Even you have acknowledged that any original hypothesis in science is simply a guess--that's how it all starts.  When humans guess, they can be wrong much of the time or at least partially wrong.  When hypotheses are tested and proven false in even one instance, then they either need to be discarded or, most often, modified and tested again (wash, rinse, repeat).   :knight:  :cheers:

Sure I acknowledged it, but this does not redeem science in any way. It only makes clear that science needs philosophy. Philosophy provides the method of sensible guesses. Philosophy is the art of asking the right questions and foreseeing all the possible answers.

Reply #47

Even you have acknowledged that any original hypothesis in science is simply a guess--that's how it all starts.  When humans guess, they can be wrong much of the time or at least partially wrong.  When hypotheses are tested and proven false in even one instance, then they either need to be discarded or, most often, modified and tested again (wash, rinse, repeat).   :knight: :cheers:

Sure I acknowledged it, but this does not redeem science in any way. It only makes clear that science needs philosophy. Philosophy provides the method of sensible guesses. Philosophy is the art of asking the right questions and foreseeing all the possible answers.

I will relent to some degree that philosophy can be helpful to science after reading this from Oakdale.  There is such a thing as junk science which can be spurious or even fraudulent, especially in the science of global warming models and behavioral ecology (some serious hanky panky there).  I assume that by "sensible guesses" you mean relevant and meaningful hypotheses.  I think that the peer review embedded in the scientific process weeds out much of that.  I'm not sure what you mean by "foreseeing all the possible answers", it seems to me it would just be guessing on top of guessing.  Moreover, not even philosophy can foresee all possible outcomes; and of what value would that be anyway?   :knight:   :cheers:
James J

Reply #48
I will relent to some degree that philosophy can be helpful to science after reading this from Oakdale.

Maybe so, but much much of the article itself is complete gibberish. It even touches on the idea that the universe seems fine tuned for man; in fact the more you know about astronomy, etc the less "fine tuned" the universe is. Even so, I can find some truth in there. It just gets difficult to overlook the nonsense. Maybe the distracting and sometimes incorrect tangents the other goes one just needed to be edited out.

Here's one instance in which Hughes must be misunderstanding the source that he cites for the article and serves of an example of what I mean.

Physicist Lee Smolin, in his 1997 book The Life of the Cosmos, goes one step further by applying the principles of natural selection to a multiverse model. Smolin postulates that black holes give rise to new universes, and that the physical laws of a universe determine its propensity to give rise to black holes. A universe’s set of physical laws thus serves as its “genome,” and these “genomes” differ with respect to their propensity to allow a universe to “reproduce” by creating new universes. For example, it happens that a universe with a lot of carbon is very good at making black holes — and a universe with a lot of carbon is also one favorable to the evolution of life.

I don't know what to say except don't even attempt to write articles that that when you clearly you're drunk.  Blackholes have nothing to do with carbon :faint: Now I want to read The Life of the Cosmos just to find out what Smolin really said and in what context. :p

Reply #49

I will relent to some degree that philosophy can be helpful to science...

There are good ethical reasons to not help science. Namely, science methodically spits on ethics.

As to life in outer space, people will immediately find it as soon as they define life correctly. The problem with Darwinist science is that it defines life in terms of biological functions. Darwinists simply project the kind of life they see on earth into outer space and expect to find it there. Wrong definition, wrong expectations.

It would of course be cool if they found the kind of life on Mars as in that HP copier commercial (reply #15). But the fact that the commercial already foresaw this would take away all the glory from science. Better for science's reputation to not find it.