Which

21st century architecture is better than earlier architecture
[ 2 ] (66.7%)
21st century architecture is worse than earlier architecture
[ 1 ] (33.3%)
beer is better than either
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Topic: 21st century architecture (Read 73837 times)

Re: 21st century architecture

Reply #125
Culturally, "Greeks" have come everywhere via Europe (and to some extent, through the Middle East to Asia). In Africa, Phoenicians may have had their influence, although eventually they were "overlorded" by the Corporation Of Towns. The Romans and a bunch of other guys would conquer the Greeks militarily, but...
Today's Greece, like a "mother potato", has handed itself out for others. Similarly, don't seek Romans in Italy. :rip: 

Reply #126
Really? I thought you could find a couple million of 'em in Italy. :P

Reply #128

Not enough Islamic influence for ya? Understandably, I guess.

Not enough anything at all...
Most Americans came from more purely Christian Europe.

:lol: Nice sense of humor from the depths of rurality.

Not that it really matters. Architecture, like all cultural expressions, is organised theft of ideas anyway.

Organised theft of ideas, eh?
Well, at least you're turning a radical, not bad.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #129
Quote from: Belfrager

:lol: Nice sense of humor.

Aww, thx! Out here ina sticks without that electrification and a day's buggy ride from town, reckoned we gotta get some entertaining somehows. Y'all be rite careful now. Turn yer nose up in a rainstorm n ya might near drown. :chewchewspit: *ping*

Reply #130
We have a modern bridge over the River Clyde in the centre of Glasgow. I doubt if many known it's real name as everyone just calls it "the squinty bridge" as it crosses the river at an angle.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #132
We have a modern bridge over the River Clyde in the centre of Glasgow. I doubt if many known it's real name as everyone just calls it "the squinty bridge" as it crosses the river at an angle.

There was a plan to scrap the Shelby Street Bridge years ago. It crosses the Cumberland River near downtown in Nashville.

I was hoping for a modern bridge design because of its prominence from Riverside Park. There were some great designs submitted but because it was built in the 1920's and had historical value they decided to just refurbish it. It doesn't look half bad at night with all the lights tho.

Edit:
I should add, It's a pedestrian bridge now. They did build a modern bridge for motor-traffic. The Gateway Bridge.

Yay.

Reply #134
I only got 5 right. Process of elimination gave me a few cause New York and LA were my only certain ones. First instinct would of got me two more.

Wonder if the view from space will ever influence building or city design?

Reply #135
I recognized New York, LA, Brasilia ("educated" guess), Tokyo ("educated" guess), Istanbul (educated guess + elimination), Las Vegas (elimination), and Riyadh (elimination again). Whatever other one I got was just luck.

Reply #136
Wonder if the view from space will ever influence building or city design?

I swear I saw neighborhoods in animal shapes while flying from Detroit to Chicago at night. But given that I went snowboarding in Germany the night before and that America was just so freaking square, I suppose I could've started hallucinating more interesting visions. :P Also, that was the most comfortable plane ever.

Reply #137
Lol, yeah. If it had an excessive grid pattern I knew to guess an American city. Still luck was not with me. Even between two options I missed a couple. Statistically amiss.

Reply #138
First part of the new (and empty) Xiangluowan business district in Tianjin Binhai is getting completed.

Yujiapu financial district across the river:

Reply #139
All that is not good architecture, be it 21 century or any other time.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #140
You probably have a good point there.  Too much gets boring.

Reply #141
The last page has been mostly on cities, and not on [21st century] architecture, so I made an urban thread.

Reply #142
An Arabian Dream, King Abdulaziz Center for world culture.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aLdJA2uOp4[/video]

Reply #143
For those who rather like their buildings to stand tall, Saudi Kingdom Tower in Jeddah is under construction to reach up 1 km (originally 1 mile, but that is what happens when switching to metric).

Reply #144
It is a pointless and showing off kind of waste of money.

Reply #145
For those who rather like their buildings to stand tall, Saudi Kingdom Tower in Jeddah is under construction to reach up 1 km (originally 1 mile, but that is what happens when switching to metric).

That looks strongly inspired by the Mile High Illinois.

Reply #146
I can see the point! :)

Reply #147
Yep, it is definitely more pointy than pointless. It is most likely inspired, though I don't know the background. Anyway it is one of the likely shapes if building very tall is your overarching goal. It has some superficial similarities to Burj Khalifa as well, except being a couple hundred meters taller.

It will be built slightly to the north of Jeddah, near the King Abdulaziz International Airport to be greatly expanded in the coming years. This is the airport of the Hajj.

The airport in turn will be connected to a new Haramain high-speed railway that starting in Medina, connecting to the new King Abdullah Economic City under construction, this airport, Jeddah, will whisk people to Mecca to do the Hajj. Actually you have to switch to the recently-built Mecca metro, which is a bit of a downer, but you'll get there. Above ground lesser people are doing their pilgrimage on foot and in diesel busses.

The design for the Jeddah station.

Medina

Mecca ground entrance

Incidentally the bin Laden family have the main construction contract for the Kingdom Tower skyscraper, the airport extension, and the Haramain rail stations.

Reply #148
Building construction you say.

Hmmmm.

Reply #149
Anyway it is one of the likely shapes if building very tall is your overarching goal. It has some superficial similarities to Burj Khalifa as well, except being a couple hundred meters taller.

Perhaps. The previous name, Mile-High Tower, also rings like an allusion. :)

Link to a diagram of the "Mile High" Illinois.