Skip to main content
Topic: XP after XP (Read 48570 times)

Re: XP after XP

Reply #100
I recently installed Debian Wheezy with LXDE on a really small netbook. 77MB RAM used after login. Not bad at all.

Reply #102

Reply #103
In Fx it gets stuck at 80% or so.

In Chromium it works and doesn't seem to use all that much CPU.

Oddly, game over (or rather I just stopped caring about the game) seemed to be essentially a victory.

I do love the evil Clippy. If I were bored I'd be tempted to strip out all of the game code except for the evil Clippy destroying the city in the background.

Reply #105
ׂ

Reply #106
I'm planning to use the current OS for at least two month. Regarding they've promised to keep MSE running, how long will it be to expect trouble?

Reply #107
ׂ

Reply #109
ׂ

Reply #111
I guess he means a hardware firewall for your XP netbook, a little machine running Linux serving as a firewall through which you connect to the internet. I had computers set up this way at one place for while. But since you never installed and configured OS's, just forget about it.

Reply #113
If you have a router, you already do. If you don't, I recommend something that runs or can run TomatoUSB.

Reply #114
A separate hardware firewall only makes sense if you are not behind a router, as Frenzie says. Most people nowadays are, so j7n's point may be moot.

However, the way I understood it, he really meant a separate hardware firewall, i.e. you have another computer with Linux on it, connected to internet, and when you launch your XP netbook, you connect the netbook to the Linux machine to get internet for the netbook. Old clumsy expensive complicated immobile solution, but unbeatable in terms of security when you know how to set it up.

Reply #115
. you have another computer with Linux on it, connected to internet, […]. Old clumsy expensive complicated immobile solution, but unbeatable in terms of security when you know how to set it up.

That's exactly why I recommend TomatoUSB: it is another computer running Linux. It just uses a lot less electricity. If you know what you're doing and feel the need, you can pull in e.g. relevant Debian packages through Optware, you can manually set up iptables however you want, etc. However, the TomatoUSB web interface is highly capable and user-friendly, so there's no need to do so. I've never had such an easy time setting things up.

Reply #116
Netbook is a mobile gadget. Does TomatoUSB also go wherever you go?

Reply #117
ׂ

Reply #118

I guess it could but I don't see why you would… With TomatoUSB you can set up things like port forwarding and port knocking so you can remotely access your stuff, you can easily set up a VPN if you want, etc. I run R through SSH because my desktop is somehow quite a bit more than 10 times faster at it.* But on my netbook everything's pretty much locked down.

* I would've expected it to be no more than 4-5 times as fast. It only uses one core, after all.

I'm getting lost in the open source embedded OS. There are quite few of them: DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Tomato, pfsense.

Unless any of them changed recently, none have a more user-friendly, yet full-featured interface than Tomato(USB). Go for DD-WRT if you want all of the nitty-gritty.

Reply #120
ׂ

Reply #121

I guess it could but I don't see why you would… With TomatoUSB you can... remotely access your stuff, you can easily set up a VPN if you want, .... through SSH
I haven't done VPN and SSH. Are they both remote access? From what I have understood, remote access means you have a full-featured machine running at home, connected to the home internet, and you have a mobile gadget, connected to some other internet elsewhere, and with the gadget you log into the full-featured machine to make it run tasks for you, right? If so, then this is a luxury beyond reach for me. I don't have home internet connection.

Reply #122
Security through obscurity. I used this authetification method long before I learned how it's called. Good stuff.

A simple setup can be found here. A more sophisticated method is described here.

From what I have understood, remote access means you have a full-featured machine running at home, connected to the home internet, and you have a mobile gadget, connected to some other internet elsewhere, and with the gadget you log into the full-featured machine to make it run tasks for you, right?

Correct. If I leave my desktop* on, I can run computationally intense tasks on it significantly faster than on the netbook itself. This use case is rare, but in any case there's a big difference between waiting seconds for results and waiting minutes.

* Which I built in '07. It's holding up really well.

Reply #123

Reply #124
I've never used a VPN in order to conserve resources. I understand it is like connecting to a remote closed network, and automatically being able to access whatever is there on that network without additional authentification (like network printers).

I haven't actually used the built-in OpenVPN capabilities; I just mean it looks easy to set up. There might be some caveats.