Skip to main content
Topic: The Problem with Atheism (Read 205343 times)

Re: The Problem with Atheism

Reply #625
So, I'd say Oakdale's statement itself is deficient. It lacks the definitional clarity necessary to determine if one could agree or disagree with it.

That's typical on him...  I suppose he enjoys it. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #626
Yeah. Oakdale loves a good waffle and just a pity doesn't get out so much and mix with the real world outside. Oh well too far away to help him.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #627
Oh well too far away to help him.

Atheists are the ones who needs your help, not Oakdale.
How can you help them remains a mystery to me.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #628
Well you come from a religious background full of mysteries and stuff so kind of natural I suppose......

Reply #629
Well you come from a religious background full of mysteries and stuff

That's very true. These days, I've been wondering what happened to the Guardian Angel, nobody speaks about him anymore... then I realized why so many idiotic parents teaches their unhappy children how to ride a bicycle wearing lots of helmets and protections  - no more protection from the Guardian Angel, the safety industry killed the Guardian Angel.

It's not worthy to live in a world that has no more mysteries, just industries.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #630
I have some questions about Oakdale's statement:

Precisely what is deficient? Are definitions deficient? Are proofs deficient? Deficient in what sense? For what purposes? And what would be the better alternative that would not be deficient?

So, I'd say Oakdale's statement itself is deficient. It lacks the definitional clarity necessary to determine if one could agree or disagree with it.

"A unicorn is a horse with a single horn situated slightly above and between its eyes" pretty much defines the creature most of us "recognize"… In what way does that make that creature real, extant and yummy?

ersi, saying such-and-such doesn't make it so. Why do you find this controversial? :) Might it be because you prefer word-games to science or logic?

There is a certain (particular) sense in which God is a required concept for the existence of anything… But that "God" has no necessary connection to any contemporary religion. Sect and di-sect…, my friend!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #631

"A unicorn is a horse with a single horn situated slightly above and between its eyes" pretty much defines the creature most of us "recognize"… In what way does that make that creature real, extant and yummy?

ersi, saying such-and-such doesn't make it so. Why do you find this controversial? :) Might it be because you prefer word-games to science or logic?

Logic and experience say that the definition, properly understood, tells me whether the thing is real, extant and yummy. Surely you acknowledge the value of this? To define a unicorn does not mean to attribute reality to it. It means to put it into perspective with regard to reality or irreality or surreality.

If science proceeds differently, it proceeds wrongly. Indeed, it would be controversial to call it science when it proceeds wrongly.

There is a certain (particular) sense in which God is a required concept for the existence of anything…

Agreed. And, really, this is all one can ask from (the definition of) God. It's inappropriate to ask for more. I can define God and give you the definition, but there are good reasons why I cannot give you God. The reasons are the same why I cannot give you the nightmare I saw last night, or some near-fatal injury I suffered in childhood. You may be either fascinated or bored by the tales of those things, but you sure as hell would not be able to bear the reality of those things :)

The (definitional, logical, metaphysical) sense in which God is a required concept for the existence of anything should satisfy the seeker's intellectual curiosity. You don't ask for more. You just don't. It's the same as you don't divide by zero. You just don't, either in math, in logic, or in whatever you call reality. You don't divide by zero! You will have to be happy with the logical necessity of this, and that's it! Sorry, but more than this cannot be given.

But that "God" has no necessary connection to any contemporary religion. Sect and di-sect…, my friend!

First you will have to figure out the nature of the relationship between reality and logic right, then some day I may take you seriously on whatever you have to say on the relationship between reality and religion. For now you have nothing to teach me on this point.

Logic is miĺk for kiddies, but you spill it too much. Religion is grownup stuff, most likely indigestible to you.

Reply #633
 :D

Reply #635
The (definitional, logical, metaphysical) sense in which God is a required concept for the existence of anything should satisfy the seeker's intellectual curiosity. You don't ask for more. You just don't. It's the same as you don't divide by zero. You just don't, either in math, in logic, or in whatever you call reality. You don't divide by zero! You will have to be happy with the logical necessity of this, and that's it! Sorry, but more than this cannot be given.

An interesting analogy that satisfies my curiosity, but probably not in the way you would expect or hope for.  One can't say "you don't divide by zero" simply because division by zero is always undefined and as such, it is nonsense--and so is God (you certainly should agree with this, imho). 

On another point however, the term 'atheist' is somewhat misleading.  It says that a person does not believe in something, namely God, but in a backhanded way that presupposes that God could be real--and that is completely irrational.  I am not anti-God any more than I am anti-unicorns.  Unicorns don't exist, so how can I possibly take a stand on their existence?  Ditto with God.  We are all atheist of the Roman Gods, so do we need to declare that by labeling ourselves?  I don't believe in voodoo, do I need to take a stand as an avoodooist?  How about anastrologist, gets pretty absurd after a while, huh? 

It is quite apparent to me that there is no god and certainly no necessity of there being a god (much less any admissible evidence of god).  God is a faith thing and some people need it to get through life (that's fine).   Others have simply had it drilled into them since infancy by Parents, Peers and child-molesting Priests and simply won't let go of their 'ba-ba' out of sheer stubbornness.  These same people will then use all of their resources to force logic out of flimsy, illogical and irrational thin air excuses, so as to make it believable to them.  They will then huddle together and boost themselves up by declaring that naysayers are the devil in disguise and they were divinely predicted by the superstitious bronze-age authors of the bible, so god must be real. 

Gods have come and gone since time immemorium and the gods of today will go by the same way as the gods of Mount Olympus simply because people will grow up.  Gods have always been born out of superstition, and the gods of today are no exception.   Thousands of years ago, people were scared and life was very hard for most people; death was everywhere and people didn't live long.  Therefore, designing a god who could deliver you from death forever!!--went over extremely well. Islam heaven has streams of clean fresh running water everywhere (among other decadent features), duh--I wonder why that sold so well in the desert?  It is all made up to suit certain people, at certain times, in certain places and situations.  People need to get their heads out of their asses and start thinking straight about the utter ridiculousness of religious belief in gods in today's (somewhat) more enlightened world. 

What has god done for you lately anyway?  Has he answered any prayers, stopped war, disease, famine, pestilence, terrorism or done any other good for you or mankind?  Delivered you from evil or gave you solace in time of despair and depression you say?  Perhaps, but wouldn't it be more efficacious for people to dig down deep inside themselves and learn to suck it up of their own power?  Of course, some people simply can't do that and some of those who 'simply can't do that', are here on DnD thumping their bibles and trying to sound intellectual about their childish superstitions and hopes for eternal life...uh huh, uh huh, uh huh, dat's what dey wants awright.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #636
Of course, some people simply can't do that and some of those who 'simply can't do that', are here on DnD thumping their bibles and trying to sound intellectual about their childish superstitions and hopes for eternal life...uh huh, uh huh, uh huh, dat's what dey wants awright.    :knight:    :cheers:

If I would ever need your help against Protestants, I would prefer to let them at peace. Even them are better than you.

A sapient mas is the one who is aware about how much he doesn't know, an ignorant believes to know everything. You're the epitome of ignorance.
Drink  :wine: instead  :beer: , maybe it opens your spirit. In vino veritas.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #637

On another point however, the term 'atheist' is somewhat misleading.  It says that a person does not believe in something, namely God, but in a backhanded way that presupposes that God could be real--and that is completely irrational.  I am not anti-God any more than I am anti-unicorns.  Unicorns don't exist, so how can I possibly take a stand on their existence?  Ditto with God.  We are all atheist of the Roman Gods, so do we need to declare that by labeling ourselves?  I don't believe in voodoo, do I need to take a stand as an avoodooist?  How about anastrologist, gets pretty absurd after a while, huh? 

Don't give to voodooists and astrologists the idea. :left:

Gods have come and gone since time immemorium and the gods of today will go by the same way as the gods of Mount Olympus simply because people will grow up.

Don't hold your breath. 1. People won't grow up. Only an elite will. 2. The God of today is remarkably fit to mutations (omnipotent and the sort). He will more likely evolve.

Of course, some people simply can't do that and some of those who 'simply can't do that', are here on DnD thumping their bibles and trying to sound intellectual about their childish superstitions and hopes for eternal life

I think you are confusing this forum with another one. People "thumping their bibles" use to be fundamentalist Protestants. mjmsprt40 hasn't done such thing; Belfrager is Roman Catholic and ersi has declared he is not a Christian. (Did I forget anyone?) In the past we had "bible thumpers" in forums, but they haven't been around here lately.

Reply #638

An interesting analogy that satisfies my curiosity, but probably not in the way you would expect or hope for.  One can't say "you don't divide by zero" simply because division by zero is always undefined and as such, it is nonsense--and so is God (you certainly should agree with this, imho).

I should agree that God is nonsense like the impossibility to divide by zero? But the impossibility to divide by zero is not nonsense. The impossibility to divide by zero can be explained as logically necessary. It's not just a mathematical dogmatic axiom that it's impossible to divide by zero, but it's also a fact of life. When you divide something by zero, i.e. you share something with no one, then you are not sharing at all, hence the logical impossibility.

God is a similarly explanatory logical necessity, but I won't bother you with the details. If you made an informed choice when you de-converted, you should know the details anyway.

We are not simply avoodooists or whatever for no reason. We can be that only when we have encountered it and rejected it. We are not avoodooists on the outset without having encountered voodoo.

You were not a brilliant illogician at birth. You are an entrenched incoherent thinker now after hard relevant training and practice.

There are specific reasons to reject voodoo, specific reasons to reject unicorns, Roman gods and whatever you reject. Without those reasons, there's no rejection; there's just ignorance.

Similarly, there are specific reasons why the impossibility to divide by zero is a logical necessity. Similarly, God is a logical necessity for specific reasons. Without addressing those reasons, you are not really rejecting God.

In my book, you are not an atheist, James. You don't know the definition of God, the nature of God, and how God is logically necessary. As long you don't know these things, you are not rejecting those things and thus you are not an atheist. You are merely a rambling anti-theist.

You have rejected the reality of unicorns for specific reasons, I assume. Can you cite similarly specific reasons why God cannot be real?

What has god done for you lately anyway?  Has he answered any prayers, stopped war, disease, famine, pestilence, terrorism or done any other good for you or mankind?  Delivered you from evil or gave you solace in time of despair and depression you say?

And what has atheism done for you lately? It evidently has not taken your mind off God, as you barely ever write about anything else. 

Perhaps, but wouldn't it be more efficacious for people to dig down deep inside themselves and learn to suck it up of their own power? 

Indeed, and for theists there's an explanation why people have such power, how to harness it and what to do with it. Thump your Bible and you may stumble on some relevant verses.

Reply #639
In the past we had "bible thumpers" in forums, but they haven't been around here lately.

Hmm. In the "If you build it, they will come." mentality we could start an 'Intelligent Design' thread.

Reply #640
And what has atheism done for you lately? It evidently has not taken your mind off God, as you barely ever write about anything else.

I can't imagine what atheism does for anybody because it does nothing for me. Nor does agnosticism. Nor does religion. In all three cases it may do something for one's sense of well being. I was a religionist, then an atheist, and am now an agnostic. In all three instances nothing was done for me, gave me any tangible satisfaction, not like a good meal at a nice restaurant.

Gods affect people to some extent that children can be affected by ghosts in the closet, noises in the basement and sounds in the attic. There's nothing there, but the fear is real. Will the gods punish me for my transgressions? Not unless I let them.

Reply #641
:sst: That quote isn't mine.

Reply #642
Hmm. In the "If you build it, they will come." mentality we could start an 'Intelligent Design' thread.

In a certain sense, and for sure very different from the Bible's Belt interpretation, I'm sure that life has originated from "intelligent design" an expression meant to say that it's not possible life to emerge from non organic matter simply by "hazard".

Such process needs indubitably to have "intention". Intention and conscience about what "it" is making. If nothing else to know when to stop generating stable adverse changes. An hazardous process would never "know" it, it's not logically possible to happen.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #643
If nothing else to know when to stop generating stable adverse changes.

Given this isn't a thing that has happened, your point is already on the verge of collapse.

Reply #644
We are not simply avoodooists or whatever for no reason. We can be that only when we have encountered it and rejected it. We are not avoodooists on the outset without having encountered voodoo.

That's quite a knack for pointing out the obvious you have there friend.  You might think me a simpleton, but c'mon. 

Similarly, God is a logical necessity for specific reasons. Without addressing those reasons, you are not really rejecting God.

There was a logical necessity for gods at one point in our history, when we didn't know shit from Shinola. 

There are specific reasons to reject voodoo, specific reasons to reject unicorns, Roman gods and whatever you reject. Without those reasons, there's no rejection; there's just ignorance.

One primary reasons is that all rational thinking and reason is out-the-window in favor of religious beliefs, even when those beliefs inspire the worst of human abominations.  We cannot expect to survive our religious differences indefinitely when one considers today's weapons of mass destruction.  Religion and politics make for strange and dangerous bedfellows, don't you agree? 

Belief in god has life as we know it on the brink of disaster, but by all means, don't think about it Eric--just you and ur gremlins carry on. 

Indeed, and for theists there's an explanation why people have such power, how to harness it and what to do with it.

They don't harness diddly-squat.  If I had a nickle for every time I heard someone say "Let go and let god" or "I'm just going to put it in god's hands" or "Turn it over to god", I could buy every church in America.  Religion teaches people to NOT be self-sufficient and to place very little emphasis on this life at all.  No wonder the world is in such a fucking mess.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #645

If nothing else to know when to stop generating stable adverse changes.

Given this isn't a thing that has happened, your point is already on the verge of collapse.

I think you don't have an idea about the complexity of life. Not one but thousands and thousands of stable processes and interactions are needed just for one cell, any cell, to be alive. Let's not even consider the step from a cell to the simplest animal form which is a gigantic jump in complexity.
Randomize processes can't create order, you need both conscience and intention.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #649
Russian spam is also quite mysterious.  :yes: