Skip to main content
Topic: The Problem with Atheism (Read 205304 times)

Re: The Problem with Atheism

Reply #350

I find it a very difficult subject of analysis.

Analysis is a piece of cake. The hard part is to apply it in real life under actual pressing urgency. Then there's no time for analysis any more. It's time to apply the conclusion and stay true to oneself no matter what.

No matter the time you'll have, you keep blocked. Pressing urgency adds up to the sense of discomfort but it's not the origin and reason of the short circuit.
What I said to be very difficult to analyze is exactly the reason of the short circuit.

It's clearly related with mechanisms of guilt. Take the classic case of saving the mother and let the children die or save the children and let the mother die.
Any decision will kill one and we just don't want to feel responsible for killing either one or the other, because we value both equally.

If so, what's a purely moral mechanism, as guilt is, has the effect of override and prevent decision taking. It neutralizes brain's functions.
It seems to be a mechanism of prevention. Why do we have such mechanism, that's what is difficult to analyze. It's not clearly a mechanism to benefit survival, if we don't take any action probably both will die.
There's no place to "Darwinisms" and "evolutions" here.

Oakdale's going the right direction so I think - Which brings us to the consideration of "higher rules.", but he's speaking about machines...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #351

It's clearly related with mechanisms of guilt. Take the classic case of saving the mother and let the children die or save the children and let the mother die.
Any decision will kill one and we just don't want to feel responsible for killing either one or the other, because we value both equally.

There may be a way to sacrifice yourself in the process so you don't have to live with the guilt of having chosen one over another. I'm saying this without any irony. The situation must be properly thought through beforehand, the dilemma must be solved, and one of the real solutions is to sacrifice oneself instead of having to choose between other lives. The other option is to endure psychological paralysis during the actual situation and live with the consequences of inaction/misaction everafter.

Analysis is a piece of cake for me. Easy peasy :)

Why do we have such mechanism, that's what is difficult to analyze. It's not clearly a mechanism to benefit survival, if we don't take any action probably both will die.
There's no place to "Darwinisms" and "evolutions" here.

Obviously, innate human ethical functions exist to spank materialists and atheists to their senses.

Reply #352
There may be a way to sacrifice yourself in the process so you don't have to live with the guilt of having chosen one over another. I'm saying this without any irony. The situation must be properly thought through beforehand, the dilemma must be solved, and one of the real solutions is to sacrifice oneself instead of having to choose between other lives.

Yes, indeed. It only emphasizes what I said.
Obviously, innate human ethical functions exist to spank materialists and atheists to their senses.

:)

A matter of attitude.

Reply #353
I have to disagree: "Short-circuit" is indeed the ideal term! Logically, not making a decision is a failure of programming — perhaps even a Halt-And-Catch-Fire op-code! Either God or Evolution has asked that the whole mechanism be checked, for correct functioning.

Are you just being argumentative here?  People decide not to decide all the time because it is the best and most logical decision and not always for self-preservation reasons.  "I'm not going to decide what to wear to the party until I know whether it is a casual or formal affair.", is one example of not deciding without the roof falling in on us.  Furthermore, people often don't decide between options because it's a lose/lose situation for them (or someone else), so not making a choice is simply the best decision.  The decision not to decide is always an unmentioned option for us--it could be for self-preservation reasons, but most of the time it's not. 
James J

Reply #354
Oakdale's going the right direction so I think - Which brings us to the consideration of "higher rules", but he's speaking about machines...

No: The example of an ethical machine was a rhetorical device to help a better analysis, viz., what would be required…for us to even imagine such.
But the "higher rules" idea doesn't actually get us anywhere — certainly not with the machine. In that case, programming still precludes (…even if it seems to allow) the freedom necessary for what we call ethical choice.

We're back to the difficulties of determinism… :)
————————————————
@James: Russell once used a pastiche of reductio showing that naive realism is false… Similarly, determinism is required by science; yet our best (most recent…) science eschews determinism!
Quantum Electro Dynamics is the "easiest" example. (Feynman's little book is a fun read!)

That is, determinism is an illusion…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #355
On one side there's mechanistic determinism, on the other there are patterns of correspondence, which are purely formal insubstantial constructs, yet inevitable to make sense of anything. Any kind of atemporal pattern or concept, such as cause-effect, time, space, etc. is an example of patterns of correspondence. Funny how materialists try to reduce everything to the deterministic side, forgetting that they are necessarily operating with the pattern side when doing it, and when things don't fit, they blame others for overemphasising the pattern side of things, when it's really themselves out of balance. Sometimes funny, but sometimes painful to watch when they do it.

The higher rules of ethics can never be formulated as long as one views them as some imposed or decreed set of commands. It's necessarily a law of nature, then we can talk sense. I'd formulate it for now: What goes around, comes around.

The lower set of rules (social cultural conventions, national laws and religious dogmas) is for those who think they can escape this law of nature. Admittedly, the superior law of nature operates on sufficiently long ropes so that its operative nature is not clear, sceptics have their fun because it doesn't appear to be mechanistic, and therefore there's an obvious need for conventions, laws, police and governments.

Edit: Another way to put it is to say that the lower set of rules always is a formulation of the higher rules. The higher rules are a law of nature independent of human opinion, but whenever humans formulate it, the outcome is a fallible approximation, necessarily imperfect in one sense or another. The lower set of laws is the obvious consequence of the fact that the thing never is its label, but the labels are indispensable to teach the ignorant.

Reply #356
As per atheist logic, since there's no evidence that anybody has any problem with my classification of atheists, therefore my classification is absolutely good for everyone. Still, here's another classification for you to have some choice, even for those who don't believe in choice and free will.

In thisclassification, numbers pertain to the theoretical (metaphysical) aspects of religion, and letters to the practical (ritualistic and moral prescriptive) aspects. There are some points about the connection of morality and religion that could prompt some discussion.

Quote from: Edward Feser
1. Religious belief has no serious intellectual content at all.  It is and always has been little more than superstition, the arguments offered in its defense have always been feeble rationalizations, and its claims are easily refuted.

2. Religious belief does have serious intellectual content, has been developed in interesting and sophisticated ways by philosophers and theologians, and was defensible given the scientific and philosophical knowledge available to previous generations.  But advances in science and philosophy have now more or less decisively refuted it.  Though we can respect the intelligence of an Aquinas or a Maimonides, we can no longer take their views seriously as live options.

3. Religious belief is still intellectually defensible today, but not as defensible as atheism.  An intelligent and well-informed person could be persuaded by the arguments presented by the most sophisticated contemporary proponents of a religion, but the arguments of atheists are at the end of the day more plausible.

Obviously one could take one of these attitudes towards some religions, and another of them towards other religions.  For example, a given atheist might take a type 1 atheist position with respect to Christianity and a type 2 atheist position with respect to Buddhism (or whatever).  Or he might take a type 1 attitude towards some versions of Christianity but a type 2 or type 3 attitude towards other versions of Christianity.

[...]

A. Religious practice is mostly or entirely contemptible and something we would all be well rid of.  The ritual side of religion is just crude and pointless superstition.  Religious morality, where it differs from secular morality, is sheer bigotry.  Even where certain moral principles associated with a particular religion have value, their association with the religion is merely an accident of history.  Moreover, such principles tend to be distorted by the religious context.  They certainly do not in any way depend on religion for their justification.

B. Religious practice has a certain admirable gravitas and it is possible that its ritual and moral aspects fulfill a real human need for some people.  We can treat it respectfully, the way an anthropologist might treat the practices of a culture he is studying.  But it does not fulfill any universal human need, and the most intelligent, well educated, and morally sophisticated human beings certainly have no need for it. 

C. Religious practice fulfills a truly universal or nearly universal human need, but unfortunately it has no rational foundation and its metaphysical presuppositions are probably false.  This is a tragedy, for the loss of religious belief will make human life shallower and in other ways leave a gaping void in our lives which cannot plausibly be filled by anything else.  It may even have grave social consequences.  But it is something we must find a way to live with, for atheism is intellectually unavoidable.

[...]

An A1 atheist, then, would be the most negative sort, especially if he took an A1 attitude towards most or all forms of religion.  A C3 atheist would be the most positive.

[...]

I find that atheists who fall on the most negative ends of these scales -- A1 territory -- are invariably the ones who are the least well-informed about what the religions they criticize actually believe, and the least rational when one tries to discuss the subject with them.  And when you think about it, even before one gets into the specifics it is pretty clear that A1 is prima facie simply not a very reasonable attitude to take about at least the great world religions.

Reply #357
As per atheist logic, since there's no evidence that anybody has any problem with my classification of atheists, therefore my classification is absolutely good for everyone.

This shows more how you draw conclusions than how atheists do. Only one person responded to that... Which says it all. He picked what sounded good because he has no idea how far into metaphysics and misunderstanding he is too.

Reply #359
There's a slight bit more to be considered: Read Andy Bannister's post here and get back to me…
The short version is that atheism is a belief and thus needs evidence and argument. (Before anyone says No! read the linked-to post…)
进行 ...

Reply #360
I have an even shorter version: Blind faith (whether in skydaddy or in science, doesn't matter) and stubborn disbelief is for kiddies. Grownups, if they want to be considered rational, have to be able to justify everything.

Reply #361
Grownups, if they want to be considered rational, have to be able to justify everything.

No one on this planet can ultimately 'justify' anything.

(Excerpt from the Encyclopedia Britannica on the Principle of Falsification)
"Being unrestricted, scientific theories cannot be verified by any possible accumulation of observational evidence. The formation of hypothesis is a creative process of the imagination and is not a passive reaction to observed regularities. A scientific test consists in a persevering search for negative, falsifying instances. If a hypothesis survives continuing and serious attempts to falsify it, then it has "proved its mettle'' and can be provisionally accepted, but it can never be established conclusively. Later corroboration generates a series of hypothesis into a scientific theory."

Thus, the core element of a scientific hypothesis is that it must have a capability of being proven false.  For example, the hypothesis that atoms move because they are pushed by small, invisible, immaterial demons is pseudo-science since the existence of the demons cannot be proven false (i.e. cannot be tested at all).  However, the existence of an entity prior to the big bang has been shown to be false by science and therefore, for scientific purposes, God, as a creator of this universe, does not exist.  People are always free to let their imaginations run wild with gods as they have done throughout human history, science has said its piece. 

Next god step forward please....
James J

Reply #363
However, the existence of an entity prior to the big bang has been shown to be false by science and therefore, for scientific purposes

The "existence" of anything "before" the Big Bang is not capable of being considered within the theory. Period. And yet some people persist in speculation... That is, when they use the phrase "for scientific purposes" they almost immediately go beyond scientific purposes.

There are, shall we say, "problems" with the demigod Falsification too. :)  This has been obvious, at least since Kuhn...
进行 ...

Reply #364
Right, specifically you cannot justify nor explain nor get any points across. And it's totally convenient for you.

I am just trying to point out that science is a never ending process of seeking falsification of its postulations through experimentation.  Science never rests on it laurels and says 'that's the way it is', instead science says 'that's the way it seems to be today'.  Mounting evidence only serves to strengthens the reliability of a postulate, it does not make it immune to revision or elimination.  Science never makes promises because that's not the nature of science, science is merely a process of discovery through experimentation and a continuous accumulation/elimination of the results. 

You try to make sense of many things through correct logical reasoning when, actually, experience may be a better guide to understanding some things.  I don't rely on much of metaphysics because of the falsification principle and you don't rely on science because it falsified the existence of a god prior to the BB.  Science doesn't promise that any of its postulates are true, so what's to not like?  What you don't like is that the postulate of no god/creator, may one day become as reliable as the postulate of gravity. 

James J

Reply #365
The "existence" of anything "before" the Big Bang is not capable of being considered within the theory. Period.

Science does rely on its assumptions until they are proven false.  Science postulates that without spacetime, nothing exists, therefore a creator prior to spacetime is not possible.  This only remains etched in stone only until empirical evidence to the contrary is set forth (don't hold your breath). 

That is, when they use the phrase "for scientific purposes" they almost immediately go beyond scientific purposes.

"Scientific purposes' are empirical purposes--so what is 'beyond scientific purposes'? 

P>S>--Kuhn had the notion of scientific truths, science claims no truths. 
James J

Reply #366

The "existence" of anything "before" the Big Bang is not capable of being considered within the theory. Period. And yet some people persist in speculation... That is, when they use the phrase "for scientific purposes" they almost immediately go beyond scientific purposes.

If anything that shows the futility in grouping all atheists together. I could argue god false based on the amount of Pentecostal preachers who have died from snake bites. But I doubt it's a point that you'd feel threatened by.

Part of not having a belief is knowing when to stop.

Reply #368
Kuhn had the notion of scientific truths, science claims no truths.

Surely, you jest!
进行 ...

Reply #369
Atheism is a belief--a belief in something other than gods to explain observable phenomena.

That's like saying a dolphin is a fish because it swims. An atheist doesn't believe in god(s). That's not to say some atheists don't have other beliefs, just that that isn't what atheist means. You have turned scientific theory into a belief system so are easily confused by the distinction. That doesn't mean I have to be. The possibility 'god did it' exists too, albeit a small possibility. Given no evidence I can't discount the possibility, only really comment on it's improbability accordingly. The offered evidence just doesn't stand up to due process.

Reply #370
Surely, you jest

In an absolute sense, I believe I am correct.  There is always some uncertainty associated with scientific conclusions (truths)--science never absolutely proves anything. 
James J

Reply #371
An atheist doesn't believe in god(s). That's not to say some atheists don't have other beliefs, just that that isn't what atheist means. You have turned scientific theory into a belief system so are easily confused by the distinction.

I will concede that my definition stinks.  However, I don't think of science as a belief system, it's more fun than that. 
James J

Reply #372
I don't think of science as a belief system, it's more fun than that.

You mean like tennis, without the net? :)
进行 ...

Reply #373
You mean like tennis, without the net?

Tennis is all about physics.  When my favorite player hits set point just out, I exclaim "One angstrom unit of angle to the left would have won!!".  Lol. 
James J