Skip to main content
Topic: The Problem with Atheism (Read 205300 times)

Re: The Problem with Atheism

Reply #325
More later — but for now: I think you just failed the Turing Test… :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #326
The illusion of control is so complete in humans that people will probably forever think and act as if they have it, even if they truly believe that they don’t.  I must ask you, where does consciousness get the power to redirect molecular action that supersedes what the laws of physics and nature dictate?  Through what process does the brain create this new force that would necessarily be more powerful than all the other known forces of nature?

Two preliminary points: Who would ever posit the "power to redirect molecular action that  supersedes what the laws of physics and nature dictate"? And why assume the "new force" must be created by the brain (or mind…); I meant, rather, an additional refinement of physics…

The arguments for reductive determinism (your preferred brand, especially) seem to hinge on a very basic confusion.
To illustrate this, ask yourself if there are any such things as solid bodies? Citing the "enormous empty space" within each atom, one could say no. But you, as an engineer, understand the sensible application of the terms solid and body and, so, don't "see" the problem!

One wonders (at least, I do…) what problem you do "see" that prompts your denial of free will, as understood through our common experience?
进行 ...

Reply #328
I find the blog enjoyable reading, food for thought. Thanks!
Of special interest (to me, of course) was the article Disobedience and ethical robots, which cuts to the nub of morality by convention explanations…
进行 ...

Reply #329
Quote from: Philosopher Eric@Conscious Entities
The Physical Ethics perspective runs something like this: Given the trillions (?) of conscious entities on our planet, there are this many corresponding instantaneous selves, or punishment/reward subjects. While there is no freewill/good/evil element here in an ultimate sense, each of these entities has this illusion given their own tiny awarenesses. So when we talk about creating good/evil machines, well… even we are only good/evil in respect to our pathetic little perspectives — not ultimately.

James would perhaps agree with the quote, but there's a logical problem with this kind of denial of free will. If free will is an illusion stemming from pathetic little perspectives of tiny individual awarenesses, then by what mechanism did that particular individual awareness, namely Philosopher Eric@Conscious Entities, escape the illusion?

The same applies to a similar denial of consciousness in the ultimate sense. It boils down to: "Since I don't know everything, then nobody else does either." A logically invalid inductive jumping to conclusions. Surely it's appealing to lower others to your own level, but logically invalid and scientifically counter-evidential.

Reply #330
If free will is an illusion stemming from pathetic little perspectives of tiny individual awarenesses, then by what mechanism did that particular individual awareness, namely Philosopher Eric@Conscious Entities, escape the illusion?

But he wouldn't. Being aware that something is an optical or auditory illusion doesn't mean you stop seeing or hearing the illusion. Much the same would presumably apply to other illusions generated by the brain. And in any case, saying there is no free will in the ultimate sense is rather trivial and should not cause any shocks. It's been done by Spinoza and Voltaire, implicitly by Buddhism, and I'm sure it's been said plenty by ancient Greeks as well. Freedom is an abstract term. To say that I have free will (if that term is even at all meaningful, cf. Locke) does not mean that I am always maximally free, just as to say that I am healthy does not mean I am exactly as healthy right now as I was two months ago. At the most basic level I did not choose where and when I grew up.

What does puzzle me is the claim that we would have an illusion of ultimate free will. I, for one, have never had any such notion.

Reply #331
That's all very cute, Frenzie, but the same reasoning applies to affirm free will, and even better so.

Free will in the pathetic little perspectives of tiny awarenesses is obviously relative, not absolute. It's limited by life span, by the extent of knowledge and wisdom, by external circumstances, by the wills of other individuals around, by personal character flaws, etc. We have free will, but it doesn't automatically wash away all the external circumstances that we are confronting.

Thus the rational definition of free will is limited individual willpower. When applied wisely, your will overcomes or circumvents the circumstances, and gets what it wants. When applied foolishly, circumstances overpower free will, sometimes so devastatingly that the free will appears to not exist. However, when you are overcome by circumstances, it does not directly eradicate your free will, individuality, free thought, etc. It is an emotional or psychological collapse wherein you still have your individual pain, inconsolable grief, worries and confusion. To prevent this collapse it's wiser to affirm free will and use it wisely. To overcome such collapse only works by means of affirming free will and responsibility for oneself.

You cannot rationally deny free will and at the same time say you are right and someone else is wrong. When there's no free will, then everybody is the same way and there's no right or wrong. My personal preference is to affirm right and wrong. Ethics exists, responsibility exists. Free will by means of which moral agents accrue responsibility for their own deeds exists. This is to spur people to self-improvement. Denial of free will leads to fatalism.

Edit:

Freedom is an abstract term. To say that I have free will (if that term is even at all meaningful, cf. Locke) does not mean that I am always maximally free, just as to say that I am healthy does not mean I am exactly as healthy right now as I was two months ago. At the most basic level I did not choose where and when I grew up.

It's obviously invalid to conclude that "at the most basic level" you did not choose anything. Health and sickness both exist, but are contradictory. Can we conclude from this that "at the most basic level" only illness exists? On what logical basis? What is "the most basic level"?

We see both black and white. How does this necessitate a denial of one over the other? What is "the most basic level" where we can say that really only black or only white exists? You may even honestly see black consistently all the time, but it doesn't follow that only black exists. It may follow instead that you are blind! As partly colour-blind myself, I am acutely aware of this point.

Freedom is an abstract term, yes, but it doesn't follow that it doesn't exist. Instead it follows that it exists in a different sense than any limited concrete thing. The correct procedure is to define freedom carefully so that it applies to real life, because failure to do so leads to real, actual and concrete adverse consequences. It leads to abuse of freedom that anyone is free to justify by whatever means.

What does puzzle me is the claim that we would have an illusion of ultimate free will. I, for one, have never had any such notion.

Probably just an emotional overreaction on his part. When someone else believes in something you don't like, you easily tend to believe he believes it in the ultimate absolute sense and is all-wrong rather than reconcilable by means of some minor shift of perspective.

Reply #332
Thus the rational definition of free will is limited individual willpower. When applied wisely, your will overcomes or circumvents the circumstances, and gets what it wants. When applied foolishly, circumstances overpower free will, sometimes so devastatingly that the free will appears to not exist.

If we have free will, where in the evolutionary tree did it develop?  Does algae or bacteria have free will, or is their behavior automatic and within the realm of scientific law?  Simple creatures of less than a thousand cells will either settle for an unattractive meal or go foraging for something better, depending on recent experience.  Is that the exercise of free will? 

Though humans feel that they can choose what they do, our understanding of the molecular basis of biology shows that biological processes are governed by the laws of physics and chemistry and therefore are as determined as the orbits of the planets. There are recent experiments in neuroscience to support the view that it is our physical brain, following the known laws of science that determines our actions, and not some agency that exists outside those laws. 

Studies of patients undergoing awake brain surgery have found that by electrically stimulating the posterior parietal cortex, one could create in the patient the desire to move the hand, arm, or foot, or to move the lips and talk, although they never actually did.  Stronger currents cast a powerful illusion, convincing the patients that they had actually moved, even though recordings of electrical activity in their muscles said otherwise. 

Stimulating a different region – the premotor cortex – produced the opposite effect.  The patients moved their hands, arms or mouths without realizing it.  One of them flexed his left wrist, fingers and elbow and rotated his forearm, but was completely unaware of it.  When his surgeons asked if he felt anything, he said no.  Higher currents evoked stronger movements, but still the patients remained blissfully unaware that their limbs and lips were budging. 

These contrasting responses tell us two important things. Firstly, they show that our feelings of free will originate (at least partially) in the parietal cortex.  It’s the activity of these neurons that creates a sense that we initiate actions of our own accord.  Secondly, they show that the sense of moving doesn’t depend very much on actually doing so – it depends on calculations that are made in the parietal cortex, long before the action itself begins.  It is hard to imagine how free will can operate if our behavior is determined by physical law, so it certainly seems that we are no more than biological machines and that free will is just an illusion. 

(Much of the preceding  is taken directly from: http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2009/05/07/electrical-stimulation-produces-feelings-of-free-will/ )
James J

Reply #333
What was the point of the study? To prove that the brain is causing this or that sensation? Sorry, but any experiment where stimulating the brain is involved proves no such thing. Instead they prove that impulses from outside the brain - from the electrodes and the conductor of the experiment - produce impulses in the rabbit (or whoever is being stimulated there). The impulses may occur via the brain, but they are very concretely not generated in the brain. The fallacy involved is like saying that in case of murders the cause of death is the wound, and nobody else is guilty.

Another point. How did the experimenters get to know what the subject's subjective experience was due to stimulation? Testimony? That's the worst kind of evidence conceivable, say the anti-theists. Then how is it suddenly good enough now?

And from what I know about neuroscientists, particularly those who are vocal atheists or antitheists, does not induce any respect in their profession. Their conclusions go squarely against every necessary precondition of psychology, are logically flawed, counter-evidential or cherry-picked. Routinely so. Your example only confirms this impression.

But thanks for pointing to the source. That's a good standard to have in such discussions.

Reply #334
It's obviously invalid to conclude that "at the most basic level" you did not choose anything. Health and sickness both exist, but are contradictory. Can we conclude from this that "at the most basic level" only illness exists? On what logical basis? What is "the most basic level"?

I believe neither I nor that Eric fellow concluded that. You said much the same thing: any rational definition of "free will" must include the fact that we have a history. I have no idea what the person you quoted thinks about that, but to me it means there is no (necessary) contradiction between saying "the fact that I watched Ducktales in 1990 caused me to do X" and "my decision caused me to do X."

Reply #335
Their conclusions go squarely against every necessary precondition of psychology, are logically flawed, counter-evidential or cherry-picked. Routinely so. Your example only confirms this impression.

The way you think that science so "routinely" gets it wrong, it's a wonder that we ever made it out of the stone age.  Your true colors (fear of science), are shining through, sir. 

I thought we got it clear that science seldom, if ever, produces a truth of nature in one fell swoop.  It is the mounting evidence of proof through years, decades or centuries of experimentation and verification across all lines of science around the world that makes something reliable enough to accept as a truth of nature.  This is good evidence only and needs to be added with other evidence and experimentation in order to draw any type of meaningful conclusion, and even then all theories and laws of science are forever subject to revision or even expulsion--it's the only way to do good science.  This is "looks, walks and quacks like a duck" stuff right now, but it often does turn out to be a duck you know. 

You want so badly to dismiss this as scientific hocus-pocus or chicanery that you fail to see how much important evidence this adds to our understanding of ourselves.  Yes, it's a long reach for anyone (including Hawking), to conclude that free will is an illusion.  I see the evidence pointing in that direction and simply draw that conclusion for myself, it may be premature, but I'm allowed. 
James J

Reply #336
Free will it's a characteristic of one and only one species, Homo Sapiens. (Ok, two. Neanderthals also counts)
It has nothing to do with "evolution".

Most people these days thinks that evolution means what in fact was defended by LamarcK, not Darwin, the "transformism" of species.

To Lamarck, species evolved transforming into another species.
Darwin never said such thing.

The problem with Darwin was to call to his book "On the origin of species" when, in fact, he never said anything about "the origin" but just about how environment and the consequent species reproductive behavior was related with certain factors and how it would affect the subsequent evolution of the species. Not the origin.

Free will is not a result of any evolution. It's present in Man from the beginning.
Man is not the "transformation" of apes.

P.S. I dont know if you were discussing this but since I saw so many times "free will" in the middle of posts, I thought it to be adequate. :)

A matter of attitude.

Reply #337
The impulses may occur via the brain, but they are very concretely not generated in the brain.

This may be the case for philosophers, but certainly not for the rest of us.  Our bodies are huge masses of positively and negatively charged atoms, we can, and quite easily do, generate electricity within our brains equivalent to that of the electrodes.  The scientists are merely stimulating certain areas of the brain artificially with an electric charge equal to what our brains produce.  These electric charges in our brain may vary in strength (just as the amount of charge on the electrodes was varied), depending on the urgency of the action that needs to be taken. 
James J

Reply #338
Consider me a naive and not-too-bright auditor of this conversation… (Not very hard, for most of you!) My first question is what I think is a simple one:
What difference in any of our practical, political or penal considerations would your (various) viewpoints make?

Have at it! (If you think there'd be no difference at all, you can practice your origami… :) )
进行 ...

Reply #339

I have no idea what the person you quoted thinks about that, but to me it means there is no (necessary) contradiction between saying "the fact that I watched Ducktales in 1990 caused me to do X" and "my decision caused me to do X."

There's no contradiction between those statements as long as you don't analyse the psychology involved. Watching the Ducktales may prompt a desire or idea for the next thing in you, but the causation is indirect, not direct. In truth you always have a choice. In a family fight you may yell: "I'm yelling because you are yelling!" and it may seem perfectly plausible in the situation, but in truth you may also smack, kick, walk away, run away, stay silent, etc. Lots of options.

The causation from the environment to a rational being is indirect. The environment prompts an impulse, but a rational being, different from an irrational animal, may always choose to not follow the impulse. Either follow a different impulse - not necessarily stronger impulse, merely a different one -, or suppress all impulses.

An animal invariably follows the strongest impulse and is psychologically torn when impulses are equal. Humans are also psychologically torn as long as the mind is not made up. But in the end, human choice does not necessarily entail opting for any impulse over any other. It may entail renunciation of all impulses.

Not sure how much I agree with Belfrager here. Lamarck's theory of evolution surely looks better than Darwin's, but at some point still not good enough for me.

Their conclusions go squarely against every necessary precondition of psychology, are logically flawed, counter-evidential or cherry-picked. Routinely so. Your example only confirms this impression.

The way you think that science so "routinely" gets it wrong, it's a wonder that we ever made it out of the stone age.  Your true colors (fear of science), are shining through, sir.

A concrete example of such neuroscientist is Sam Harris. Frenzie earlier also pointed to some neuroscientistic study somewhere which made as little sense as your source.

We got out of the stone age first. The distinction of neuroscientists versus philosophers is a fairly recent development, long after we got out of the stone age. Now neuroscientists are giving their proof that we are worse than apes (and this is how it should be, they seem to mean). Taliban is the standard of morality, says Sam Harris. If this goes on long and strong enough, yes, we will get back to stone age. (Taliban is actually not that bad. It only takes us back to the middle ages, if they get their wish through. Whereas the nuclear arsenal of the civilised West means that the future may be something far worse than the stone age.)

The impulses may occur via the brain, but they are very concretely not generated in the brain.

This may be the case for philosophers, but certainly not for the rest of us.

Remember the analogy I brought? The fallacy involved is like saying that in case of murders the cause of death is the wound and that nobody else is guilty. Are you saying that the distinction of natural death (an accumulation of decay of cells or whatever) and killing (a series of impulses from the environment) is irrelevant? If this distinction is relevant, then the distinction between your own thought and having yourself rabbited in a brain experiment is also relevant. It's not just a philosophy thing. It's common sense.

If you think that thinking for yourself is perfectly the same as being hard-wired to some mad scientist, then you lack common sense. And those neuroscientists who forget the distinction, and also the experimental physicists who think that their laboratory is the same as nature and things merely happen, ignoring that they are setting up the environment and pulling the strings, lack common sense, logic and morality. Common sense is necessary to have a rational discussion about anything.

Reply #340
ersi has already answered my question (well enough). And without referencing it!

Anyone else care to try?
进行 ...

Reply #341
There's no contradiction between those statements as long as you don't analyse the psychology involved.

My psychology wouldn't be the same if I hadn't watched Ducktales.

The causation from the environment to a rational being is indirect. The environment prompts an impulse, but a rational being, different from an irrational animal, may always choose to not follow the impulse. Either follow a different impulse - not necessarily stronger impulse, merely a different one -, or suppress all impulses.

Or in other words, your will ("impulse") is at the very least not free until that point. And if you are "suppress[ing] all impulses[/ideas]" you are submitting to the idea of suppressing all other ideas. Does that mean you are actually choosing anything or does it mean that you are simply being dominated by a stronger idea? Continuing that line of thought, your freedom exists primarily at the point where you decide not to read e.g. The Selfish Gene, The Greatest Show on Earth or Why Evolution is True. Once you've properly read and considered it, whether or not the idea that "Darwinian" evolution is true will dominate the idea that it's not is out of your hands.

A concrete example of such neuroscientist is Sam Harris. Frenzie earlier also pointed to some neuroscientistic study somewhere which made as little sense as your source.

I didn't point to a study, but to a quick overview of the kind of things neuroscientists like Damasio are actually saying.

If you think that thinking for yourself is perfectly the same as being hard-wired to some mad scientist, then you lack common sense. And those neuroscientists who forget the distinction, and also the experimental physicists who think that their laboratory is the same as nature and things merely happen, ignoring that they are setting up the environment and pulling the strings, lack common sense, logic and morality. Common sense is necessary to have a rational discussion about anything.

Nobody thinks it's "perfectly the same". But this idea that learning more about ourselves is immoral is odd to say the least. I can't find a more academic source in English at the moment, but "some mad scientist" using volunteers is responsible for developments like this, not possible even a decade ago:

https://www.curebraincancer.org.au/page/9/treatment#Surgery
If the brain tumour is located near a part of the brain that controls speech, or movement or some other vital function, it is common to perform the operation when the patient is awake for a short part of the surgery.  The patient is woken once the surface of the brain is exposed and special electrical stimulation techniques are used to locate the specific part of the brain that controls speech, movement, or vision. This avoids causing damage while removing the tumour.

Reply #342

Nobody thinks it's "perfectly the same".

Then tell James not to conflate where distinction is relevant. And tell the same to yourself.

But this idea that learning more about ourselves is immoral is odd to say the least.

Learning about ourselves is essentially morally neutral. Morality enters the picture when we are faced with the choice: Either learn by observing our own behaviour attentively or by tearing intestines apart. When you say that only the manner of tearing the intestines apart is the right way, and the way of uninterfering observation and careful logical inferences is wrong, you are being fallacious both philosophically and scientifically. And when you persist, you are soon enough proven immoral too.

@Oakdale
How is Frenzie answering your question?

Reply #343
Morality enters the picture when we are faced with the choice: Either learn by observing our own behaviour attentively or by tearing intestines apart. When you say that only the manner of tearing the intestines apart is the right way, and the way of uninterfering observation and careful logical inferences is wrong, you are being fallacious both philosophically and scientifically. And when you persist, you are soon enough proven immoral too.

Are the experiments being performed on slaves (early 19th century), the weak of mind (later 19th and a disturbingly large part of the 20th century), criminals (20th century) or imprisoned Jews (mid-20th century)? Or are the experiments first evaluated by an independent ethics review board, performed on volunteers who are fully informed about all the potential risks?

Reply #344
Frenzie, so your thesis of morality is this: "Morality only exists when there's an ethics board powerful enough to punish me." Let it be known that this is exactly what I call immorality, absolute lack of morals and ethics :)

For me morality is grounded in conscience, which is a real psychological function, not imposed from outside. Conscience is perceptible by means of introspection. It is regulated by means of will and intellect and actualised in behaviour. It manifests by means of self-restraint and ability to accommodate other individuals with their social conventions. Lack of self-restraint, lack of considerateness, and lack of culture point to lack of conscience, i.e. immorality. Culture does not determine conscience. Culture can only secondarily modify it, if the individual lays undue importance to what others think and say. Conscience is a real psychological function wherever one is born. This kind of morality is universal, while also being appropriately contextual.

Or in other words, your will ("impulse") is at the very least not free until that point. And if you are "suppress[ing] all impulses[/ideas]" you are submitting to the idea of suppressing all other ideas. Does that mean you are actually choosing anything or does it mean that you are simply being dominated by a stronger idea? Continuing that line of thought, your freedom exists primarily at the point where you decide not to read e.g. The Selfish Gene, The Greatest Show on Earth or Why Evolution is True. Once you've properly read and considered it, whether or not the idea that "Darwinian" evolution is true will dominate the idea that it's not is out of your hands.

What a horrendous view about reading comprehension! And how unsustainable views of mental processes!

Let's take mental processes first. Some relevant distinctions:

You explicitly conflate idea and will, but there's a relevant distinction between a mentally formed idea and a practically applied idea. The latter necessarily entails will. It always takes willpower to apply an idea, for example to suppress an instinctive impulse or an unsuitable idea. (This last statement is what you should definitively refute, if you want to make it intelligible how you construe the concept of will. Or rather, why and how you try to circumvent it.)

So, will and idea are not the same thing. Further, when there is a certain goal in the mind, it means that the person wants (= has the will) to actualise a mentally formed idea, to apply it practically. When the result of the action is similar enough to the pre-conceived notion, then the goal will have been achieved. Awareness of this goal along with the ability to modify it - conscious goal-orientedness - is a feature of rational beings. If there appears to be similar behaviour and similar results without any pre-conceived notion and without any conscious relation to the goal, then that's the feature of irrational animals. Goal-orientedness entails will, and awareness about it defines a distinction between rational and irrational beings.

Of course you cannot refute the concept of goal-orientedness, because you would demonstrate determined rational conscious goal-orientedness in the process. So I'd rather you didn't do that, but of course the choice is yours. Well, as per your theory, not the choice, but impulses that have pre-determined you to make the choice. Seriously, do you have a way to eliminate the concept of choice too?

You fail in all these distinctions. Between an idea as a preconceived notion and an idea as being applied by means of will, and thus also between rational and irrational beings. You also fail to construe coherent or intelligible concepts of will, goal, choice, etc. These concepts in turn support the concepts of responsibility, reward and punishment, i.e. the theory of morality worth the name, instead of some incoherent bioevolutionary mess. Seriously, by means of a concentrated reasoning process you managed to end up with the conclusion that you are essentially the same as an irrational animal with no individual will and morals! If you were self-critical, you'd reconsider your line of thought and try to correct where you went wrong, but this would further distinguish you from irrational animals and undermine probably all the rest of the theories you hold, so I understand when you don't want to.

There are more relevant distinctions between the kinds of ideas we hold mentally. Of some ideas in the mind we are conscious, but not of all. Some are clearly formed, others are vague. Some lend themselves to further elaboration, clarification, modification, transformation, and even eradication. Others are deeply entrenched notions that rule us rather than we them. Looks like you think all ideas are of the last kind, and that all other kinds are illusory. As I illustrated by means of the analogy of black and white, you are able see both black and white, but you like to think it's really all black, and that white can handily be reduced to black without any harm. To me this is a logical fallacy I cannot accept. But you can. (Just saying it to inform myself properly of this astounding fact.)

Now, just for the sake of argument, let me concede that all our thoughts are of the kind of deeply entrenched notions and impulses that rule us rather than we them. Then I ask: By what means do they rule us? The answer is: By will. Those impulses have their own willpower. It may not be a conscious type of willpower, but that's how else do they do it? What would you call it? Inertia? Kinetic energy? Why? How?

And then about reading comprehension. You think that anyone in their right mind should, after reading the books you mention, concede everything and succumb to the same ideology. By what force should this happen, if not by will? Is it because "this is how things really are and everybody should see it," as per the theories? The funny thing in the (actual observable) universe is that things may be whatever they are, but different people always see things differently. Some see things as they want and please, refusing to resolve contradictions because contradictions feel nothing to them. Others see hardly anything, because they don't have eyes in that sense. Still others see more than you do, more than I do, and even more than we both combined do.

Further, anyone with the ability to see these facts and reflect over them is able to make conscious efforts to improve one's own knowledge and mental abilities, both intellect and introspection. This is all perfectly consistent with the notion of individual will versus other impulses, but not consistent at all with some theory of will-lessness. In fact, unwillingness or stubborness is also a form of will. How about that?

Reply #345
If you think that thinking for yourself is perfectly the same as being hard-wired to some mad scientist, then you lack common sense. And those neuroscientists who forget the distinction, and also the experimental physicists who think that their laboratory is the same as nature and things merely happen, ignoring that they are setting up the environment and pulling the strings, lack common sense, logic and morality.

Ahem...there are, at least, an equal number of mad philosophers if you would like me to count off a dozen or so.  It may be a wee bit of madness that leads great philosophers to try to seek out the answers that they do in the first place. 

Scientists can't bring stars, solar system, galaxies and massive black holes into their laboratories, but they know an awful lot of facts about them.  Similarly, scientists can't enter the quantum world, but we know much about how that works as well.  If you believe that observation from afar is meaningless then grab your stone weapons, we have some hunting to do. 

In the brain experiment, scientists had to eliminate the thought process that takes place before the brain chooses an action and an electrical impulse is created to carry that out.  To be the experiment that it is, scientists necessarily (by common sense), had to circumvent that process to get the results they were seeking.  The results are very meaningful in themselves, but will become even more so as more experimentation is done and more information is added--science marches relentlessly on. 

James J

Reply #346
I think that the brain-in-a vat has the same problems of morality and conscience. Therefore is not in the outer world, in "reality", that one should seek explanations and answers.

So called "moral problems" (when the subject must decide between two options that are simultaneously against his sense of morality) results often in a brain "short-circuit" and the subject unable to take a decision, at least a decision that will let him comfortable with his conscience.

One must pay special attention to those "short-circuits" in order to get closer to understand the nature of conscience and the subsequent problem of Free Will.
I find it a very difficult subject of analysis.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #347
One must pay special attention to those "short-circuits" in order to get closer to understand the nature of conscience and the subsequent problem of Free Will.

I don't believe "short-circuit" is a good choice of words to describe indecisiveness or simple refusal to make a decision because not making a decision is a decision in itself and not a malfunction.  All decisions come from the cascade of information rapidly filtering through the brain.  Morality is taken into account along with billions of other bits of information.  Morality can certainly carry more weight (importance), than say 'appearance to others', but it is logical, at times, to override morality--or ultimately illogical, if something like the love of a woman (emotion), is involved. 
James J

Reply #348
This is in answer to your question, ersi, about how I gauged Frenzie's answer to my question…and posted before I'd read much beyond it. :) (Obviously, a computer that "spoke" English would have no problem with this formulation, since it's grammatical — even if it didn't have access to (memory of!) this thread; but then it would, were it conscious in the same sense we are, have questions…)
My estimation of his answer is stuck on how I'm meant to take his first salvo: "My psychology wouldn't be the same if I hadn't watched Ducktales."
(Yes, I did some research… Did I miss a crucial post? Or was DuckTales mentioned out of the blue, so to speak?)
Was he being a wag? (Someone always capable of making a joke while making a serious point, leaving the import and intent of such ambiguous…) Or merely reporting that he knows and accepts that he's just the dog's tail being wagged?
Short answer: I don't know… :)
(gotta go back and continue reading, if I'm going to say anything interesting — that isn't just talking to myself…)
——————————————————————————

I don't believe "short-circuit" is a good choice of words to describe indecisiveness or simple refusal to make a decision because not making a decision is a decision in itself and not a malfunction.

I have to disagree: "Short-circuit" is indeed the ideal term! Logically, not making a decision is a failure of programming — perhaps even a Halt-And-Catch-Fire op-code! Either God or Evolution has asked that the whole mechanism be checked, for correct functioning.

As I mentioned earlier: We'd only likely admit that machines were ethically our equals if they could and would be able to reject their programming — that is, not follow "the rules"…
Which brings us to the consideration of "higher rules."
进行 ...

Reply #349
Yes, short-circuit is the right term to designate the psychology of indecision and doubt. There are people for whom contradictions, logical or emotional or esthetic, feel nothing, but for others they induce a psychological conflict that they must resolve either internally or externally. I'd say the latter kind of people is functional as humans, and the former malfunctional or dysfunctional. Of course there may be multiple opinions about things, if a certain state of affairs constitutes a conflict or not, but the different opinions only apply against different backgrounds of thought, within different contexts. Within a specific context given a common standard, the opinions cannot be much apart.

I find it a very difficult subject of analysis.

Analysis is a piece of cake. The hard part is to apply it in real life under actual pressing urgency. Then there's no time for analysis any more. It's time to apply the conclusion and stay true to oneself no matter what.

Ahem...there are, at least, an equal number of mad philosophers if you would like me to count off a dozen or so.  It may be a wee bit of madness that leads great philosophers to try to seek out the answers that they do in the first place.

Madness according to what kind of standard? And when we apply the same standard to scientists, will they look less mad or even more than I have implied thus far?

Scientists can't bring stars, solar system, galaxies and massive black holes into their laboratories, but they know an awful lot of facts about them.  Similarly, scientists can't enter the quantum world, but we know much about how that works as well.  If you believe that observation from afar is meaningless then grab your stone weapons, we have some hunting to do.

If you believe you were saying something that should turn my world upside down, get back to the drawing board. It's just that I view the same facts against a different background and therefore I draw different conclusions. The same facts are subject to different interpretations in different contexts.

In the brain experiment, scientists had to eliminate the thought process that takes place before the brain chooses an action and an electrical impulse is created to carry that out.  To be the experiment that it is, scientists necessarily (by common sense), had to circumvent that process to get the results they were seeking.  The results are very meaningful in themselves, but will become even more so as more experimentation is done and more information is added--science marches relentlessly on.

If the subjective impressions of the rabbits were recorded from testimony, then the scientists didn't circumvent anything and they know it. If they claim otherwise, I wonder how they graduated from university. Or did they only circumvent university...