Skip to main content
Topic: Questions to the Administrator (Read 99491 times)

Re: Questions to the Administrator

Reply #250
I understand what motivates you String, but if people already reads and don't (register to) post, how preventing them from reading would make them post?

We do our best, from the highest levels of philosophical analysis, religious polemic and political combat, right into the frontiers of hallucination - we do everything in order to provoke our audience... and nothing happens. What a bunch of zombies.

Either we start discussing tv celebrities and the such or better getting used to the idea of being a small group of active posters.

Maybe if we put a sign - You are forbidden to post, they will make a queue waiting for their turn...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #251
Maybe if we put a sign - You are forbidden to post, they will make a queue waiting for their turn...

How about they get paid for their first 10 posts of 100 words or more........ say 5 per post? .....
                                                                                    Pssssst...<whisper>  send the bill to RJ   </whisper>

Reply #252
In my opinion it is reasonable that mods/admins can read and change whispers. They relate to the thread in question, much of the time anyway, and within their domain of responsibility. Also it was useful when modifying posts. The sensored part was put in a whisper with no recipients, which meant that only somebody with editing rights (the author and the mods) could see the whisper. That meant that we could have a manual trace record of what had been going on. If the post had merely been edited or deleted, the original content would be lost, which would make it harder to determine e.g. if someone really should have been banned.

Reply #253
In my opinion it is reasonable that mods/admins can read and change whispers. They relate to the thread in question, much of the time anyway, and within their domain of responsibility.

I've been thinking about that whisper thing (that seems to me a curious ethical problem) and I disagree with you.

If people asks for the whisper function (as I said before, to me it's indifferent if we have it or not) it's because they feel the need for a multi level kind of communication.
At the same time - not having to send a pm - they want to make a public and also a private statement directed to someone in particular, not the rest.

If it's private, there's no place for "moderation". Moderated whisper it's an "half whisper", something no one asked for.

Now you tell me, ohh but they can be whispering terrorist things and the sort. Yes, they can, it's a price that respect for privacy a free forum has to pay.

You evoke "domain of responsibility". Simple, make a disclaimer.

That resumes my vision about it.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #254
An advantage of a whisper is that it is available at the time that its recipient is reading the post about which you are whispering; as in;

[whisper]I know my post is not what I wrote to you before about Men being no good at cooking, but since Putin came out as a transvestite things have changed a lot[/whisper]

I have to admit it's disturbing to know that others may read the whisper but [whisper] just between you, me and the moderator[/whisper] this is not a problem with the normal posts and unless one thinks that whispers are for corrupt and outrageous secret messages having international repercussions, I don't actually see a difference

Reply #255
In any case, whispers can't be kept secret while editing a post.

Reply #256
I added a whisper to a poster once in D&D who replied to me having copied the whisper text helpfully for all to see. I never whispered to him again.  :doh:

Reply #257
Beginning a month or so ago, I don't have the Quick Reply form open any more. It used to be open by default, but now it's closed. To open it it requires JS which I don't have in Elinks. Now I can only reply via Reply and Quote options. Or by using a JS-enabled browser.

Reply #259
Yoohoo, "on by default" fixed it :)

Reply #260
On some other forum I saw a cool option to download specific threads. Remembering that we had to vacuum up My Opera forums, is there a way to do it to these forums when some doom begins to approach? Is there a way to download parts of the forum as per interest? Specifically

- the posts of a specific thread?
- the posts of a specific user?
- the posts of a subforum?
- and all posts, not stats or other pages?

And if these are possible, what kind of format is it? Plain text? HTML like online? HTML as a single page?

Reply #261
The print link will give you all posts in a topic. Other than that I don't think there's anything particularly convenient.

Reply #262
How about a My Topics button/link? i.e. is there a link where I can see all threads I ever posted in? I know about all my posts, but is there a similar place to see all my threads?

Reply #263
You might want to take a closer look at the "Show Posts" page. ;)

Reply #264

You might want to take a closer look at the "Show Posts" page. ;)
You mean this? https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?action=unreadreplies

Indeed, I never looked at this before. Looks like it does what I wanted, even though it seems to omit the admin board.

I normally access this forum by https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?action=unread and this shows the admin board too.

Reply #265
I meant this (you can choose between messages, topics and attachments), but I just realized it shows topics you started rather than topics you posted in. But the new replies thing is usually probably more useful regardless.

Reply #266
Nah, looks like action=unreadreplies only shows threads I haven't visited. As soon as I go there, they disappear from the list, so it's not a true history of threads where I posted.

Another question. At Manjaro forum (also powered by Simple Machines) there's action=recenttopics that gives the list of most recently active topics. This seems not available at our forum. Is it possible to activate it?

Reply #267
I suspect it's custom-made, similar to how I put together a few things like the quick quote, the video bb tag and the (clearly slightly broken for ELinks) browser/OS display. There's a mod that adds the functionality, but it hasn't been updated in years and it's incompatible with release versions of 2.0.x.

Reply #268

...(clearly slightly broken for ELinks) browser/OS display.

Elinks says, among other things, this: "Use " " if you don't want any User-Agent header to be sent at all. URI rewriting rules may still include parameters that reveal you are using ELinks." This should mean if you have a good script, it should be able to identify Elinks even if I have not set the user agent string at all.

Anyway, I think I altered my user agent string in Elinks at some point from whatever it was by default into: ELinks/%v (textmode; %s)

%v is supposed to expand into Elinks version and %s into opsys. I dropped some other things it wanted to reveal, and maybe rearranged the parentheses, not sure.

Reply #269
This should mean if you have a good script, it should be able to identify Elinks even if I have not set the user agent string at all.

I don't think "good" is quite the right word to use there. :lol:

Anyway, the icons are just for fun.

Reply #270
An embarrassing thing, but I have forgotten my password for this site. I cannot change it, because the change requires email address. The email address I registered with was opera.com, now defunct. I cannot change my email address in the profile, because to change it I have to give the password...

I am able to log in only by taking care of precious cookies in all the browsers I use. It may work indefinitely, but who knows. Is it possible to recover my password? I think that whatever my password was, I would like to keep it :)

Reply #271
Recovering your password is nigh impossible unless you used a weak one. Maybe if you told the NSA you were a dangerous terrorist it'd take only a few weeks to brute force it. ;)

I can, of course, change your e-mail address and/or password to something else.

Reply #272
My vivaldi.net email address is obvious. Can you change the email address in the profile?

Reply #273
Done.