Skip to main content
Topic: Questions to the Administrator (Read 99496 times)

Re: Questions to the Administrator

Reply #225
What's the difference between Banned Member and Banned Member [2]?
There's some banned member counter?
A matter of attitude.

Reply #226
Just a spur of the moment thing. There's no counter. (And if there were, it's a lot higher on account of spam accounts.)

Reply #227
Another question, who reads us?

That's it, we write and write and write. but who reads it?
Old ladies reading clubs that religiously reads our posts? the secret services? half a dozen readers at Vanuatu?

No one but we don't care? :)

Do you have that thing of google analytics or equivalent, Frenzie?
It shows in a world map who's reading us, isn't it?
A matter of attitude.

Reply #228
I don't know how many of these are real people, but…

Code: [Select]
Network	net	45,889
Unknown ip 26,157
Commercial com 10,270
Poland pl 2,914
Australia au 2,688
Germany de 2,578
European country eu 2,529
Estonia ee 2,217
Belgium be 2,023
Finland fi 1,601

Reply #229
Oh lá lá... we're a must :)

Unknown ip - those are the secret services for sure... 26,157?? shit...
A matter of attitude.

Unmoderated section

Reply #230
I'm still under some shock for the banning of one of our most active members. I came up with this suggestion:

Maybe create a separate section in the Test forum where banned members would still have access. So, banning would not be really banning, but restricting the member from posting and messaging except for the specific subsection.

The purpose of the section would be for the banned member to vent safely apart from others and for the moderators to monitor the member's behaviour until the interaction seems tolerably human again and the member can be allowed to return.

Reply #231
Maybe create a separate section in the Test forum where banned members would still have access. So, banning would not be really banning, but restricting the member from posting and messaging except for the specific subsection.

I disagree.
Such measure would create two classes of members, members of first class and members of second class that are "paying" for their previous actions.
Or, at another perspective, having a kind of a virtual jail here.
Everyone should be a member with full rights posting wherever they want. Either that or nothing.

People are adverted before being banned and have the opportunity to change. If they don't, a ban it's a ban. Dura lex sed lex.
I suppose there are temporary bans. If someone desires to return and follow the guidelines this time I think that it will be not denied.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #232
I agree with Belfrager. The outside Internet has plenty of space.

People are adverted before being banned and have the opportunity to change. If they don't, a ban it's a ban. Dura lex sed lex.

In this particular case, going from informal nudges to numerous actual warnings over the course of several months.

Reply #233
:'(

Reply #234
Two questions.

1. Somewhere along the way, thread post numbering has turned up. When the thread displays the first post on every page, the first post is numbered differently on every page. Wouldn't a proper solution be to leave the first post unnumbered (or hide numbering in it)?

2. The IRC command /me seems to work nicely, I just noticed. Are there any other handles that work this way? Is it possible to add '/msg nick' to emulate the whisper function as it was in Opera forums?

Reply #235
Somewhere along the way, thread post numbering has turned up.

I imagine it's always been there? But yeah, I hadn't noticed the issue. Thanks. :)

Is it possible to add '/msg nick' to emulate the whisper function as it was in Opera forums?

While an amusing gimmick, what's the advantage over PMs?

Reply #236

Is it possible to add '/msg nick' to emulate the whisper function as it was in Opera forums?

While an amusing gimmick, what's the advantage over PMs?

None what I would use :) but at least Oakdale has been asking for it. The only good reason to implement it would be nostalgic reasons - to emulate the functionality of Opera forums.

Reply #238
The only good reason to implement it would be nostalgic reasons - to emulate the functionality of Opera forums.

Fair enough. However, it also brings along some potential moderating issues though. PMs are private, but whispers blur the line with regular forum posts.

Reply #239
However, it also brings along some potential moderating issues though. PMs are private, but whispers blur the line with regular forum posts.

What's the problem with "bluring lines" Frenzie?

Laissez faire laissez passer. No need for preemptive measures. You don't want to emulate an American government, do you? :)

I remember just one case at the old D&D when someone got irritated with that whispering thingy.
"Potential moderating issues" are not a reason at a free community.

I must say that I never sent a "whisper" to no one (that I can remember) but I always answered to "whispers".
Some were interesting.

As I said, it's not too much important to me but reasons to deny it should be well-founded.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #240
Wouldn't a "Whisper" included in a post remain a more relevant & symbolic bond to the whisperer & the whispered to,  more-so than an unlinked & probably deleted PM?

As far as 'the needs of moderation' --- there will always be a risk of abuse, but if my own past practices are at all evident of the probability, I would have to submit it shouldn't be a realistic concern. Regardless of the heat of debate, I never received nor made an abusive "whisper".

For some reason unknown, but appreciated, "whispering" did not contain the caustic retorts that open debate sometimes brought to bear.

Reply #241
What's the problem with "bluring lines" Frenzie?

Laissez faire laissez passer. No need for preemptive measures. You don't want to emulate an American government, do you?  :)

I remember just one case at the old D&D when someone got irritated with that whispering thingy.
"Potential moderating issues" are not a reason at a free community.

The problem with blurring lines is perhaps primarily technical, but there are definite implications for privacy. PMs are private, but to what extent would we expect whispers to be? For example, all moderators have the right to edit posts, rarely exercised in practice. Perhaps these aren't "potential moderating issues" so much as "potential privacy issues involving moderators (and administrators)."

As I said, it's not too much important to me but reasons to deny it should be well-founded.

The unspoken aspect is first and foremost, why do I want to spend my time on this? Implementing a basic whisper tag probably wouldn't take too much time, but there are several complications like quoting and moderator editing. Even though I have significantly more spare time at the moment than back in April and May, I'd probably rather spend it reading Moby Dick and brushing up my French. :)

Reply #242
Even though I have significantly more spare time at the moment than back in April and May, I'd probably rather spend it reading Moby Dick and brushing up my French.  :)

You could have whispered that... :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #244
Can we have elections? when?
I'm feeling democrat today.

(Democrat at the Greek's sense, not the American one, for them I'm a Republican even if I am a Monarchist...)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #245
I'm picking this up a bit late (whispering) but some interesting comments there. SF's remark about whispering is true in my experience - it was always more polite, possibly because it is at a closer level of intimacy than are the more anonymous open posts.

I must confess I used to enjoy whispering, it added a little bit of spice sometimes and a little clarity in others if one was afraid of someone taking a robust reply as a personal attack.

I think also think Frenzie's comment about it potentially blurring the line between privacy and moderation is a good one and particularly his remark about it taking up time.

Perhaps one way would be to have a policy of Moderators only reviewing whispers if the recipient of the whisper reported it. That would reduce the work overload to practically zero and act as a brake on miss-use of the facility while allowing it to continue without undue concern about privacy unless one was intent on bad behaviour.

Reply #246
On two other matters.

Another way of approaching the post number thing is to have posts numbered within a thread, if this software will allow that. It has it's advantages for reference.

On the subject of anonymous users accessing DnD, it might be an idea (if it can be done) to

o  have people register before they can read the forum
or
o  have access, without registration, to the first page only of any  thread

It may be, if we have some non-registered users using DnD, this might encourage them to join us.

Reply #247
Perhaps one way would be to have a policy of Moderators only reviewing whispers if the recipient of the whisper reported it. That would reduce the work overload to practically zero and act as a brake on miss-use of the facility while allowing it to continue without undue concern about privacy unless one was intent on bad behaviour.

That behavior would also be the most straightforward to implement. Only showing the whisper to the intended recipient(s) in regular post display is simple enough in principle; practice might throw up some unexpected obstacles. However, anyone with the ability to edit a post (i.e. the poster and any moderators) will be able to see the entire content of a post while editing.

o  have access, without registration, to the first page only of any  thread

I've come across that a few times. I'm more inclined to close the page than to register.

Reply #248
On the subject of anonymous users accessing DnD, it might be an idea (if it can be done) to

Why wouldn't anonymous users being able to read DnD at its full glory?
I see no reason for restrict anyone's access for reading it. This is not a private club or a place where our posts are supposed to generate financial revenue that could be menaced by people reading it for free.
Free the Internet.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #249
No Bel - that was not my intent, it's all about getting more people to post here which they can only do if they register. I thought that some way of encouraging them to register would be good.

By the way - Guests can't read this thread.