Skip to main content

Poll

Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to own, carry, & use Firearms to defend their own lives, & the lives of their family & friends?

Absolutely Yes!
I thinks so.
I don't think so.
Definitely No!
My name isn't String, so let me have a icy cold beer so I can ponder the options...
Topic: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms? (Read 331827 times)

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #1100

So--- if you get rid of guns, you get rid of gun-homicide.

If you get rid of guns, you absolutely get rid of the mindset over guns (eventually).  (Gotta start somewhere... :knight:  :cheers:)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTdO-w3xnpw[/video]

Reply #1101
A masterpiece of the embalmer's art. The illusion of sentience is uncanny.

Reply #1102

A masterpiece of the embalmer's art. The illusion of sentience is uncanny.

lol, I was always impressed more by his ruthless enunciation.
I've heard many various accents in my short time on this earth, and many various subforms of said accents, but his is by far the most pronounced enunciation of any I've ever heard.

Reply #1103
Quote from: jseaton2311 on 2015-07-30, 23:52:31Quote from: mjmsprt40 on 2015-07-26, 14:28:24So--- if you get rid of guns, you get rid of gun-homicide.

Some numbers on gun ownership and homicides. The US is far from the top, but stay away from South America.
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list

Reply #1104
[glow=black,2,300]Three dead including the shooter after shooter attacks TV crew during live interview in Virginia[/glow]

Reporter Alison Parker and cameraman Adam Ward shot dead
    Interviewee Vicki Gardner was also shot but in a stable condition
    Video shows Parker interviewing Gardner when multiple shots are fired
    The killer is Vester Lee Flanagan II, a disgruntled ex-employee
    Flanagan died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound hours after the killings

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j79VCCyAuVg[/VIDEO]

What 'magic' law would have definitely prevented this shooting?

Are we going to rush to pass more useless, ineffective legislation on firearms?   Should we?

~ or ~

Are we going to address the 'real issue'..........[glow=black,2,300]insanity, mental health?[/glow]

A crazy guy decided to kill.......he decided to use a gun.......next time it might be a car, a bomb, a fire, a hammer, a knife.....

How do we legislate against all those possibilities........how do we legislate eliminating crazy people from killing people.....even thinking about killing people?

What's your surefire solution?

Reply #1105
Nuclear holocaust? :) (As far as I recall, even Christ's Second Coming won't do it!) Seriously, there is no legislative fix for the results of society's permissiveness and acceptance of evil…without dealing with the attitudes of permissiveness and acceptance.
But being armed does make it much harder for the evil to touch you.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #1106
Stupidity kills people..........not guns.....

....but guns help. Stupidity alone is not enough, but in certain circumstances it works.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffxXv-YCHss[/video]

Reply #1107
The latest shooting in the champion land of nutjobs is no surpose to the world at all. The other night I seen an experienced US medical many saying that there were probably up to 10 million over there with well, some kind of mental probs and getting easy access to guns like toys is no help. Heck that is ten percent of the population.

Instead of being progressively sensible an awful long time ago after the early days and the cowboy world guns should have been limited and the country is reaping the self-created whirlwind.  What will be next - armed vest for visiting shopping centres, going to school, cinema or whatever? That this thread is still hereis a mental midget mindset. It started on opera and was created here by a modern John Wayne mind and is long overdue for pulling.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #1108

The latest shooting in the champion land of nutjobs is no surpose to the world at all. The other night I seen an experienced US medical many saying that there were probably up to 10 million over there with well, some kind of mental probs and getting easy access to guns like toys is no help. Heck that is ten percent of the population.

Instead of being progressively sensible an awful long time ago after the early days and the cowboy world guns should have been limited and the country is reaping the self-created whirlwind.  What will be next - armed vest for visiting shopping centres, going to school, cinema or whatever? That this thread is still hereis a mental midget mindset. It started on opera and was created here by a modern John Wayne mind and is long overdue for pulling.
What a shame you left primary school before they got to the past tense of verbs and simple arithmetic and simple spelling and simple sentence structure.

Reply #1109
@tt: His mind was already full before then… :) (Capacity is a useful concept, if one has the capacity to use it. Should one's abilities already be taxed by walking and drinking Irn Bru, there's little point to subjecting a fellow to "intellectual" discipline. His frustrations will lead to antisocial behavior more than enough without adding to those he will inevitably have to deal with!)

The other night I seen an experienced US medical many saying that there were probably up to 10 million over there with well, some kind of mental probs and getting easy access to guns like toys is no help. Heck that is ten percent of the population.
10 is 10% of 300…? No wonder you had a government job! :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #1110
Interesting bit of information there folks with tt92 and Oakdale together. It follows the usual ridiculous effort where they cannot answer direct points so waffle off somewhere  else looking down their nose.
Meanwhile while they wander America has now passed well over 7,000 killings by guns and 15,000 plus wounded and the year is not even finished yet. The damn place has more guns than people and include every possible shape and size. Oh and 240 odd mass shootings too. These 2 numpties confirm my stance that such mindsets cannot face the truth. The place is full of 10 million nutjobs, uneducated and questionable people. Gun mad and statistics prove it. The tragedy is it is meant to be a place of progress but it is not it is a place of widespread violence, killings, mental cases going bananas (confirming the nutjob problem)

With passing well over 2 centuries since the Tea party it has never grown up and in the days when it should have been maturing did nothing about guns and hence the state it is in now. It is the most dangerous gun place you could be in and all sorts of lame excuses made based on the late 18th and early 19th century status.  You are like immature adults with all the keech about the right to have guns and kill loads of people annually and throw in a police that is increasingly making the place like a well, police State. So slag all you like because you have a nightmare of a country. Visited it twice on holiday but live in it? No way.

Reply #1111
[glow=blue,2,300]Gun maker hopes Christian engravings will keep assault rifles
out of Muslim hands!
[/glow]

Quote from:       ABC       http://ab.co/1NDNT6o    

An arms maker in Florida is engraving Christian symbols on its assault rifles, in a marketing ploy denounced by a Muslim group as fomenting "hatred, division and violence".

The Crusader assault rifle is inscribed with the cross of the Knights Templar, a religious order that fought in the Crusades, and a psalm from the Bible — features that its maker, Spike's Tactical, says are intended to keep the weapons out of Muslim hands.

"We wanted to make sure we built a weapon that would never be able to be used by Muslim terrorists to kill innocent people or advance their radical agenda," company spokesman Ben Thomas said.

The Christian symbols would prevent the guns from being shipped to the Middle East, he said, claiming the rifles had been a hit with the company's customers.

"We sold out of rifles in the first 72 hours and there's a backlog of several weeks," he said, declining to say how many had sold.

The Florida branch of the Council on American-Islamic Relations issued a statement decrying "this manufacturer's fancy new gun".

"This is just another shameful marketing ploy intended to profit from the promotion of hatred, division, and violence," it said.

Mr Thomas, asserting he was not a bigot, insisted: "If they think the word of Jesus Christ causes hatred, they don't understand Jesus Christ."

Great Idea ........ what do ya think?

Reply #1112
I could see these things actually starting a war.

Look up history. The British had a major row in India over the grease that was used on cartridges there. In order to prep your rifle so you could eventually fire it, first thing you had to do was bite the end off of the cartridge and then shove it into the gun. After that of course followed the wadding, shot and so on that made muzzle-loading weapons so much "fun".

The grease was the problem. The Hindu soldiers got it into their heads that the grease was from cattle, and of course cows are sacred in that part of the world. Muslim soldiers soon got it into their heads that the grease likely was from pigs, and of course a good Muslim won't put pork anywhere near his mouth--- or even touch a pork product if it could be helped.

So, the great mutiny was on. British soldiers only commanded the ground their guns could cover, and the land was a hell-hole of screaming devils looking for British blood. The mutiny was eventually quashed, but not before a bloodbath had happened the like of which hadn't been seen for a long time.

So, now we have a gun with Christian symbolism and scriptures on it--- in order to keep it out of the hands of Muslim extremists according to the press-release-- and I personally wonder how this gun isn't going to start another bloodbath. This is an idea whose time has not come.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #1113

I could see these things actually starting a war.

Look up history. The British had a major row in India over the grease that was used on cartridges there. In order to prep your rifle so you could eventually fire it, first thing you had to do was bite the end off of the cartridge and then shove it into the gun. After that of course followed the wadding, shot and so on that made muzzle-loading weapons so much "fun".

The grease was the problem. The Hindu soldiers got it into their heads that the grease was from cattle, and of course cows are sacred in that part of the world. Muslim soldiers soon got it into their heads that the grease likely was from pigs, and of course a good Muslim won't put pork anywhere near his mouth--- or even touch a pork product if it could be helped.

So, the great mutiny was on. British soldiers only commanded the ground their guns could cover, and the land was a hell-hole of screaming devils looking for British blood. The mutiny was eventually quashed, but not before a bloodbath had happened the like of which hadn't been seen for a long time.

So, now we have a gun with Christian symbolism and scriptures on it--- in order to keep it out of the hands of Muslim extremists according to the press-release-- and I personally wonder how this gun isn't going to start another bloodbath. This is an idea whose time has not come.

Well, I can only see you being remotely correct if the Muslims (who are not on our side btw) took the rifle, placed the muzzle in their mouth, & then pulled the trigger.

That isn't too bad an outcome either!

Otherwise Mike, who other than Muslims are going to balk at using this beautifully brilliant weapon ..... have such an overwhelming resentment to the scripture & the insignia, that it would cause them to rebel on their own side, as the Hindus did, ensuing in a bloodbath the like of which you speak?

:devil:  Now if the rifle had the likeness of Obama on it's stock with a quote "4 more years", well then............    :no:

Reply #1114
Well all that does raise the intriguing possibility of incorporating pig in in the manufacture of all Weapons, in hidden locations or as part of the manufacture.

Also maybe some suitable insults engraved on the barrel.

As for writing on the stock, how about "Go in pieces"?

Reply #1115

Quote from:       ABC       http://ab.co/1NDNT6o    

The Crusader assault rifle is inscribed with the cross of the Knights Templar, a religious order that fought in the Crusades, and a psalm from the Bible — features that its maker, Spike's Tactical, says are intended to keep the weapons out of Muslim hands.

"We wanted to make sure we built a weapon that would never be able to be used by Muslim terrorists to kill innocent people or advance their radical agenda," company spokesman Ben Thomas said.

Crusader rifle with psalms engraved on it? It's hard to imagine a more obvious way of motivating IS-type jihadists. They are precisely after religious trophies from the crusaders.

Reply #1116
Missed that -- job done I guess.

Reply #1117
This thread is ridiculous. It started on Opera and then subtly continued with another 45 pages and going on in circles.

Americans are as a race of people, emotional and almost childlike when it comes to guns. The attitude is if there is a mass shooting then that means more guns by the "good" to overcome the "bad shooters." The nutjob place has had over 100 school massacres as well as other things and with 5% of the world population has 30% of the globe's mass shootings. Now that in itself betrays a racial flaw and it only gets worse not better. That a damn place has to be awash with guns as a right shows the intellectual blndnes that rocks the place. Doesn't say much for a place that the number of weapons runs into hundreds of millions and one of the most dangerous countries in the world when it comes to guns. The place never advanced from it's early history and all the stupid stuff of rights, etc makes the country a world laughing stock.

On top of that the legal system is heavily influenced by a vengeance attitude and how any civilised place can justify people on death row for years and often over a decade (a present one is now on 18 years!). That the mindset is all part of democracy and rights is into that kindergarten mind still. So every time there is a masacre the corporate gun lobby will fight for more guns and it just goes on in a stupid circle. As if long death row is not bad enough you get people sent invitations to come and watch the execution. For Heaven's sake how nonsensical is that?  One man at the moment has had his 18 year-old death suspended yet again due to the poison being set up not right!

So part from being awash with guns, mass killings, scandalous death delay matters and more people in jail than anywhere else it is the most hypocritical nation on earth. I regard Scots Nats as emotional flag waving clowns but what goes on in America is beyond any sense, maturity or anything else. It has not moved on from the early 1800's and if it had matured like elsewhere would have controlled guns instead of ending up like it is now. Cowboys are long gone as well but the Hollywood indoctrinated masses do emphasise what I say about national American minds on guns, etc. I do feel sorry for the ex-colonists who are sensible, sigh with frustration but the money barons have got the gun world in their corner and the farce the place looks to the world will continue. Hey just think.Flack jacket makers could make a fortune selling their gear to youngsters going to school, people to the cinema and shopping centre, etc.  :irked:

Shameful.

Reply #1118
I think it's adorable how much time you spend thinking about my country. How comforting it is to know a tiny little Scotsman is worried about me. :)

Reply #1119
Oh that is just a cop-out and you should be bright enough to figure that out even if your government is still concerned on education matters.

What I said there is not fanciful, made up but the stark truth of a country that boasts across the world on how it stands for principled stuff but doesn't practice internally.  When you consider the frank statistics including the world's greatest prison population you have to fall back on that? Tut, tut! You are still immersed in the late 19th, early 19tyh century anmd cowboy and indain games. Damn dangerous and unhealthy aspect!

Reply #1120
Oh that is just a cop-out and you should be bright enough to figure that out even if your government is still concerned on education matters.

This is why I didn't read your other post. [You] Probably ought to work on sentence structure and contextual elements before you criticize my education.

Or really, just grow a humor bone. It's not my job to answer for how the world works.

Reply #1121
I do have a humour bone but you ex-colonists don't have the grey ells properly organised to note same. And as for education it is YOU own government that has expressed concern and I merely remind of the fact. Indeed it has noted that the number of illiterates in the place run into 8 figures so try locally as your first priority!

Anyway like others from across in nutjobland who cannot answer the obvious and ridiculous things going on in the supposed world's greatest country. Instead they will try to waffle or dig me or make silly comments which do make me actually laugh because none of you can answer the long contradictions of what your country is supposed to stand for. However I will be wider and say that your land is at the top without any disagreement in jailing, regular mass killings, and throw in large poverty, control freakery, interfering with freedoms, police who think they can do what they damn like, keep stocking more guns, failure to practice what that bit of paper after the Revolution by the upper class produced. It is unfortunate that you have allowed yourself to be sliding into the same corner as the others whoignore what cannot answered as it is so hypocritical!

Reply #1123
RJ, it IS funny watching you criticize our education while your writing style never would have passed grammar school here. Well, at least when I was a boy--- and your photo shows that you and I are roughly in the same generation. (I don't see a teenager in that suit with the orange sash. Nope--- a considerably older man. Probably born just after WW2, but that's a rough guess.)
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #1124

Just some trivia for those that aren't numerically challenged to put things into better perspective:

According to the United Nations, 2,473,018 people died in the United States in 2008.

That comes to  about 6,775 deaths per day.  

Of those 2,473,018 deaths from all causes 12,200  were gun related homicides,  or  0.0049332435105608% (less than 1/2 of 1% of all deaths)

http://unstats.un.org/unsd/demographic/products/vitstats/serATab3.pdf

According to the CDC ... Center for Disease Control,  in the U.S.A. 2,596,993 people died from all causes in 2013.

That comes to about 7,115 deaths per day.

Of those 2,596,993 deaths from all causes 10,700 were gun related homicides, or  0.0041201497270112%   (again, less than 1/2 of 1% of all deaths)

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

As I've said before, I will again repeat, Freedom don't come free.

Mad men will shoot a few here & there from time to time, but legislation has yet to be devised that will absolutely stop a mad man intent on mass destruction, whether it be with explosives, fire, or firearms.

We Americans accept the cost of Freedom, sometimes with very heavy hearts, but as a Nation we strive to better educate our citizens in hopes of further reducing that cost....the cost of being free.

America has turned the corner years ago, & even in light of record firearm ownership & sales, America's major city murder rates drop precipitously.

It's predicted that this trend will continue even amidst the actions of the occasional mad man, or the rancorous protest from RJ & his ignorant cohorts on the gun-hating left.