Skip to main content
Topic: The Decline of Religion in Europe (Read 66375 times)

Re: The Decline of Religion in Europe

Reply #125
Hhm, a rather elementary assessment of Protestantism if ever there was one!

Protestants were in other words far too wanting to be democratic because they were lesser people in society. There is a short answer to this and it is  - bunkum. Luther nailed a thesis on the doors of a church and fully listed the faults. Luther in Germany and Knox and in Scotland were priests answer Knox's so kind of detracts a bit from as rather silly idea mooted here.In France those in power amongst the aristocracy also took to Protestantism as I said as well but the French king pushed by the cardinal in charge of the chrch were determined to stop that going on and hence the cancellation of that treaty I also illustrated ordering the wholesale destruction of places of worship and mass killing of Protestants. In my home land the Reformation was so widely complete and covered the whole people and not just one section of them.

Autocracy and false claims of the Roman Church along with it's corruption of Christianity led to not just a pssing corruption but one that ran through century after century. It was right from the top with Pope after Pope as corrupt as hell. Power,money fornication were so rife for hundreds of years. It's very corruption of Christianity led to daftness like cancelling out priest being allowed to marry in the Middle Ages. What did that one do? For century after century since then fornication and depraving priestly action because the norm and still does all over the world. It just indicates what the reformers wanted to get away from in that Rome produced all sorts of rituals and things that were as far from Christ's simple Christianity as one can get.  It waants to be as I reminded a Church and a sovereign State and what that has to do with the teaching of jesus is beyond intelligence. Princes of the Church, claiming fals ePapal titles, worshipping statues (some with worn feet), items that are supposed to be bits of "saints."  Now I can understand simple and not too educated people over the world being taken in by all of this but intelligent peopleis something else. A saint is a Godly person really not some thing created by a dictator in Rome. As for Luther being hinted at just being in some personal amger is an ignorance totally ignoring his long list of false Roman claims and remember too the shock he had on going to Rome and seeing not only how disgusting it was but the Church too.

Rome was never the creator of the Christian faith and what i said too about the early days just suitably passed over. The "Church" was a loose based one and had different types of leaders wherever it spread but overtime those centred in Rome and with it's long imperial tradition gave those followers a stronger basis. And boy oh boy did they not play havoc with that. If you did not give into their strong arm tactics expect to be tortured or done in. They did that here in Britain and on the island of Ireland. St Patrick was never a papist he was of the Celtic Church which did not recognise nor agree with the Roman side at all. RC's in Ireland have either been unaware of drummed into believing he was an RC. The Celtic Church was a very quiet and unassuming church with no complicated hierarchy like Roman but forced into the papal gang or you were dead.

Wherever there were dictatorships the Roman Church were there doing it's bit - South America for ages they quietly supported the regimes that ran the place, souther parts of Europe. Countries that were Protestant advanced while they crawled into the future. I have oft joked about how all the Nazi leaders in Germany were baptised Romans and yes Hitler did on occasion acknowledge that tradition! Heydrich the one in charge of Czecholslavia during WW2 had started training in a seminary when younger. And I noticed that the RC Church's  into the religious pogroms in Yugoslavia during WW2 suitably ignored.  We should also remember that the reason why so many SS leaders got to south America in 1945 was via Vatican passports and one priest who later became a pope served in the Vatican's passport corner.

With all the heavy ritualism, churches full of statues (yeah, yeah I know I am going to be told they aren't worshipped) but all over the globe they are! Holy relics another thing and of course the money made in places where the flock have seen Mary and so on. Where the date was got for her lifting to heaven is interesting. Compare all this extra stuff created by that church and try and balance that to the simplicity of the founder of Christianity and it is found wanting.  Those that created Protestantism did so out of spiritual and Biblical deflection the Roman Church had caused. For goodness sake for long enough Bibles on a church lectern were locked to refuse the ordinary from reading them and what a difference the reformation did for them!

The more you look at the history of that Church and delve into the Vatican the more one is thankful the reformation happened. It was due not just to the political failings but the failings of Bible truths and simple practice.  Of course I would never deny the individuals the rights I have as such would be contradictory but the Protestant creation was a principled one and the millions who flocked to it helped to create get a Bible-based tradition and not one on almost semi-pagan ritual and in time freer world.

Now where is my glass of Irn Bru.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #127
The more you look at the history of that Church and delve into the Vatican the more one is thankful the reformation happened. It was due not just to the political failings but the failings of Bible truths and simple practice.
I can't help but note that you've hit upon the real and sufficient explanation: Political failings, and Bible "truths" and "simple practice"…  Your lot are as much at fault as the one you abhor, RJ.
Be you a man, and acquit yourself as such! :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #128
I am a man Oakdale and a strong one at that but then I get out and about, speak at meetings and rallies and prove myself. You on the other hand stifle at home get immersed in books which makes up (you think) for you inability to be as outward amongst people. Protestantism is a deep and rooted matter and has utterly no similarity to the other side at all.  Anyway your pseudo intellectualism describes well your fall back on your stuck-in-the-house would-be intellectualism. I deal with people not hiding in book pages. Outside you would mean nothing and when you get a chapter in a book, interviewed on national radio (BBC) and community noted then you have a little bit more of a right to try and be something. You betray more than you realise not getting fresh air and people.  :devil:

Reply #129
 :jester:

Reply #130
I can't help but note that you've hit upon the real and sufficient explanation: Political failings, and Bible "truths" and "simple practice"…  Your lot are as much at fault as the one you abhor, RJ.
Be you a man, and acquit yourself as such!  :)

:lol:

An unexpected support from Lord Oakdale... you are entitled to an indulgence, you can sin a little bit but not too much... if so, next time you'll really have to pay for your intellectual luxuries...  (or other kind of pleasures..)  :)
Tickets to heaven are expensive...  :lol:

And next time better not to compare us at the same level than protestants.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #131
I wonder what would happen to me if I nailed something to the door of Howie's church.

Reply #132
 :whistle:

Reply #134
Odd using a sign to indicate the average American political brain knowledge.

Reply #135
I hope that's not an indicator of the average Scotsmen's  knowledge of grammar.

Reply #136
Only Glaswegians. The upscale, intelligent variety live in Edinburgh.

Reply #137

Only Glaswegians. The upscale, intelligent variety live in Edinburgh.

I protest! The upscale, intelligent variety live in Finlaystone.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #138
The place is expensive, so while it's in Glasgow, only Edinburghers can afford it. It's Scotland's Downton Abbey.

Reply #139
"Abbey" as you will admit jimbro is a delightful watch but it is as much make believe as the guff about Glasgow and Edinburgh. Here we do not have cities that go bankrupt in that farce land across the ocean. This centre of the universe where I am fortunate to live has a proud history whereas many of the cities in nutjob land have a history of deep corruption and little to boast about so sign away ex-colonists.

Reply #140
Here we do not have cities that go bankrupt in that farce land across the ocean.

But you do have people who can't write a simple declarative sentence.

How could you have cities in the U.S.? That's something like what you said. Think about it.

Reply #141

Here we do not have cities that go bankrupt in that farce land across the ocean.

But you do have people who can't write a simple declarative sentence.

How could you have cities in the U.S.? That's something like what you said. Think about it.

Did you note that the pond has become an ocean?
Is "sign" an alternate spelling for "sing"?

Can you, as a teacher, imagine the relief experienced by rj's teacher when he heard that rj had decided not to finish primary school?

Reply #142
It must have gone something like this.

Reply #145
What is Scotland? that place at the northern barbarism, ruled by the English, where men dresses like women with skirts and are famous for their avarice?

I wonder when the Americans can get rid of their traumas and relegate Scottish (and English) to the (insignificant) place they belong.

The syndrome of the ex-colonized. No patience.
No wonder Americans invented the Afro American label, they enjoy to play the slave liberated mambo jambo.

Had the South won the war and the world would have a decent America.
Or maybe not...  :lol:
A matter of attitude.

Reply #146

Not Scottish cities tho...

Keeping in mind that bankruptcy isn't just a financial condition, but a legal one, the question becomes "why?" Do Scottish municipal bankruptcy laws make it far more difficult for, say Glasgow, to declare bankruptcy than Americans ones do for Detroit? What Scottish cities are actually in a similar financial situation, but are prevented from declaring bankruptcy by tougher laws? Since it's Howie we're dealing with, frankly it would be a waste of time to check Glasgow and other cities financials to uncover the answer. Regardless of what the answer is, it's sure to merely send him on an anti-American rant. I do remember from some years ago when I compared Glasgow to Detroit and some of Glasgow's negative statistics were as bad as, and even worse, as Detroit's.

Reply #148
Glasgow worse than Detroit? What a completely stupid and daft comment that is. This city does not have acres of damaged and empty homes nor stations like in that picture. In fact we have the biggest suburban rail system outside London which says something in itself. It has more parks per square mile than most UK cities it has never been bankrupt. The apologists for what goes on inside America get a bit stretched to try and sidetrack the issues. Detroit is NOT the only city to suffer like that although the biggest. So the would-be comparison is so stupid and ridiculous. It is a totally desperate attempt to try and avoid the truth. In Detroit whole neighbourhoods that are empty, mass vandalism, a 6 figure number of people getting out and you Yanks show your ignorance. Jimbro live in Detroit once and long before it became a mass exodus and dump of a place and one can feel for him for the place he enjoyed once being brought up. We have nothing like what goes on in the land of the free and home of the free.  Detroit also stopped basic things like water to countless numbers of Detroit people as citizens cannot afford to pay for it. Disgusting.

Reply #149

Glasgow worse than Detroit? What a completely stupid and daft comment that is. This city does not have acres of damaged and empty homes nor stations like in that picture. In fact we have the biggest suburban rail system outside London which says something in itself. It has more parks per square mile than most UK cities it has never been bankrupt. The apologists for what goes on inside America get a bit stretched to try and sidetrack the issues. Detroit is NOT the only city to suffer like that although the biggest. So the would-be comparison is so stupid and ridiculous. It is a totally desperate attempt to try and avoid the truth. In Detroit whole neighbourhoods that are empty, mass vandalism, a 6 figure number of people getting out and you Yanks show your ignorance. Jimbro live in Detroit once and long before it became a mass exodus and dump of a place and one can feel for him for the place he enjoyed once being brought up. We have nothing like what goes on in the land of the free and home of the free.  Detroit also stopped basic things like water to countless numbers of Detroit people as citizens cannot afford to pay for it. Disgusting.